OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:21:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming Methodist  (Read 2339 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »

Methodism might not be for me, but there is a really booming non-denominational church in the area which I think could meet my needs.  Join up there, invest in one of those massive study Bibles, join some twenty/thirty-something groups, get involved with their outreach, I think something good could come from it.

you'll find plenty of cute girls there thats for sure. you might even be able to take your favorite beverage into the service.

You forgot to mention that all of those cute girls will like the same things you do and find you extremely attractive, and that church social events will serve only your favorite foods.

thanks for filling in that part.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 02:02:22 PM »

Meh, I think you're trolling, but if not, I wish you the best mate. I hope you find whatever you want to find.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »

Methodism might not be for me, but there is a really booming non-denominational church in the area which I think could meet my needs.  Join up there, invest in one of those massive study Bibles, join some twenty/thirty-something groups, get involved with their outreach, I think something good could come from it.

you'll find plenty of cute girls there thats for sure. you might even be able to take your favorite beverage into the service.

You forgot to mention that all of those cute girls will like the same things you do and find you extremely attractive, and that church social events will serve only your favorite foods.

thanks for filling in that part.

Huh ... I thought you would try to one-up me back.  Lips Sealed

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 01:58:12 AM »

I've never really given much thought to why I shouldn't be a Methodist.  I've never even been to a Methodist service before, but you see Methodist churches all over the place.  And they're United, right?  So, I don't see how it could be a bad idea.

I think all this stress on preserving the ancient faith is a bunch of fundamentalist malarkey.  Just because the apostles were uneducated and illiterate and Jewish literalists, incapable of interpretation, incapable of living the spirit of Christ.  Who cares if the apostles established bishops in their stead?  History has shown that the farther an organization proceeds from its founder, the less it resembles the original aims and structure of its founder: look at the Franciscans, the Lutherans, even the Muslims.  Christ didn't come to establish a church or institute a series of sacraments; such a view is presentist and anachronistic.  That one formed around his person and his teachings is obvious, but we call such phenomenon a "cult."  The apostles were frightened, zealous, marginalized Jews no different that the radical mentality of suicide bombers in the Mid East today, willing to be martyred for some delusion.

I thought about doing what I normally do, which is answering every objection, but I won't with you, for I sense that something else is going on. Are you a little depressed at the moment?

I am asking because what you wrote have various competing ideas that don't mesh too well, and you just seem down for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:00:09 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »

I thought about doing what I normally do, which is answering every objection, but I won't with you, for I sense that something else is going on. Are you a little depressed at the moment?

I am asking because what you wrote have various competing ideas that don't mesh too well, and you just seem down for some reason.

I'm genuinely impressed that you are able to pick up on the fact that I was depressed when I originally posted nearly everything in this thread (and other threads) last week.

I am no longer having these thoughts.  Or, at least, I'm no longer expressing these particular doubts in such an incomprehensible manner.

In short, everything expressed in this thread is sort of moot for me right now.

Tasting is Believing
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »

Please consider the following from two Evangelical theologians on the four principal views on the progression of Early Christianity.

1. "...Adolf Von Harnack:...Hellenism influenced the post-New Testament Church to the point of eradicating the original sense of the Gospel message."

2. "...(Cardinal Newman):...the Christianity that originated with Jesus and his apostles was merely the starting point of a series of theological developments that continued to evolve over the centuries."

3. The Bauer-Ehrman thesis that there were many varieties of Christianities that were eventually suppressed by the proto-orthodox led by the Church of Rome (my paraphrase of Chapter 1).

4. "...(Father) John Behr, dean and professor of Patristics at St. Vladimir's (Orthodox) theological seminary: ...the theology that the emanated from the new testament, continued through the church fathers, was guarded by the apologists, and solidified in the ecumenical church councils represents a continuous uninterrupted stream. The theology espoused by the orthodox clarified, elucidated, and expanded the theology of the new testament without deviating from it, and the creeds accurently represent the essence of the apostolic faith."

The Heresy of Orthodoxy: How Contemporary Culture's Fascination with Diversity Has Reshaped Our Understanding of Early Christianity, by Andreas Kostenberger and Michael Kruger, Crossway, 2010, page 53.

The Evangelical authors agree with Father Behr, making it most unlikely that your claim is correct; preserving the ancient faith is not merely fundamentalist malarkey but is of critical importance. I am not saying that you are not free to become anything you want; what I am pointing out is that there are only four ways at looking at Early Christianity, which is indeed the truest Christianity. It is up to you to choose.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:51:52 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »

The Heresy of Orthodoxy: How Contemporary Culture's Fascination with Diversity Has Reshaped Our Understanding of Early Christianity, by Andreas Kostenberger and Michael Kruger, Crossway, 2010, page 53.

I really need to read that book.  My intellectual mode of thought has unfortunately been infected by the Bauer-Ehrman(-Pagels) thesis a little too strongly.

Tasting is Believing
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »

I really need to read that book.  My intellectual mode of thought has unfortunately been infected by the Bauer-Ehrman(-Pagels) thesis a little too strongly.
I weep for you  laugh

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »

Please consider the following from two Evangelical theologians on the four principal views on the progression of Early Christianity.

1. "...Adolf Von Harnack:...Hellenism influenced the post-New Testament Church to the point of eradicating the original sense of the Gospel message."

2. "...(Cardinal Newman):...the Christianity that originated with Jesus and his apostles was merely the starting point of a series of theological developments that continued to evolve over the centuries."

3. The Bauer-Ehrman thesis that there were many varieties of Christianities that were eventually suppressed by the proto-orthodox led by the Church of Rome (my paraphrase of Chapter 1).

4. "...(Father) John Behr, dean and professor of Patristics at St. Vladimir's (Orthodox) theological seminary: ...the theology that the emanated from the new testament, continued through the church fathers, was guarded by the apologists, and solidified in the ecumenical church councils represents a continuous uninterrupted stream. The theology espoused by the orthodox clarified, elucidated, and expanded the theology of the new testament without deviating from it, and the creeds accurently represent the essence of the apostolic faith."

The Evangelical authors agree with Father Behr, making it most unlikely that your claim is correct; preserving the ancient faith is not merely fundamentalist malarkey but is of critical importance. I am not saying that you are not free to become anything you want; what I am pointing out is that there are only four ways at looking at Early Christianity, which is indeed the truest Christianity. It is up to you to choose.
the title says it all.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »

lol
I was taught to stay away from things that go boom.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »

And this is a good thing because ... ?
(given previous posts, I suspect I could make a good guess or two, but it might help if you actually spelled it out).

It bypasses all this inane intermediary tripe.  I could literally teach these classes which the priest is giving, and he knows it.

Then it is probably not doctrine which you must learn.

Long ago, my priest put it to me this way:

You probably know what the Orthodox Faith entails because you have read extensively.
What is now necessary is to acquire the ethos of Orthodoxy, and to start on the path of theosis.
For this one needs to acquire humility, love, patience, obedience and the rest of the virtues.

How do we acquire the virtues?
By praying and patiently waiting on the Lord.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:39:41 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »

Rome and Constantinople were not built in a day, and neither can we expect to become saints in one day.

Patience little grasshopper. Patience.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: