OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reminders of Secular Authority Reduce Believers’ Distrust of Atheists  (Read 1246 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 17, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

Atheists have long been distrusted, in part because they do not believe that a watchful, judging god monitors their behavior. However, in many parts of the world, secular institutions such as police, judges, and courts are also potent sources of social monitoring that encourage prosocial behavior. Reminders of such secular authority could therefore reduce believers’ distrust of atheists. In our experiments, participants who watched a video about police effectiveness (Experiment 1) or were subtly primed with secular-authority concepts (Experiments 2–3) expressed less distrust of atheists than did participants who watched a control video or were not primed, respectively.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »

Since when did atheists go seeking out theists' approval?

Tasting is Believing
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »

Atheists have long been distrusted, in part because they do not believe that a watchful, judging god monitors their behavior. However, in many parts of the world, secular institutions such as police, judges, and courts are also potent sources of social monitoring that encourage prosocial behavior. Reminders of such secular authority could therefore reduce believers’ distrust of atheists. In our experiments, participants who watched a video about police effectiveness (Experiment 1) or were subtly primed with secular-authority concepts (Experiments 2–3) expressed less distrust of atheists than did participants who watched a control video or were not primed, respectively.

Yawn.

This might be interesting for academic psychologists who have nothing better to do, but for the rest of us, not so much, I think.  Especially those of us who try to determine whether or not we trust people, not on the basis of what they believe or disbelieve, but on who they are as individuals and whether or not they (and we) have shown trustworthiness.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:29:22 AM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

Since when did atheists go seeking out theists' approval?

When running for elected office, when helping a charity, when going on a date, when applying for a job, when trying to find an advisor at university, when buying a house... . . . .. etc...

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

Yawn.

This might be interesting for academic psychologists who have nothing better to do, but for the rest of us, not so much, I think.  Especially those of us who try to determine whether or not we trust people, not on the basis of what they believe or disbelieve, but on who they are as individuals and whether or not they (and we) have shown trustworthiness.

Wow, you seem really uninterested!  Shocked

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »

Yawn.

Wow, you seem really uninterested!  Shocked

Yes--uninterested in the article/study.  And judging by the number of replies, others here don't seem to be particularly interested either.   Shocked

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »

And judging by the number of replies, others here don't seem to be particularly interested either.   Shocked

True, but not particularly uninterested either. Not interested enough to tell us they're interested, but not uninterested enough to tell us they're uninterested.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »

And judging by the number of replies, others here don't seem to be particularly interested either.   Shocked

True, but not particularly uninterested either. Not interested enough to tell us they're interested, but not uninterested enough to tell us they're uninterested.

Roll Eyes

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »

It doesn't surprise me that people haven't been responding much: who wants to face the idea that they're prejudice and can have their minds toyed with by trivial outside influences?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

It doesn't surprise me that people haven't been responding much: who wants to face the idea that they're prejudice and can have their minds toyed with by trivial outside influences?

Is that why they're not responding?  And here I thought it was just out of lack of interest.  Maybe that's just my prejudice.  Hmmm....I guess we'll only ever know *if* the non-responders choose to respond and tell us why they haven't been responding  Wink.

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

Or maybe this is so obvious a point that there doesn't seem to be much to discuss?

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »

Or maybe this is so obvious a point that there doesn't seem to be much to discuss?

You give people too much credit, far too much.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »

I tend to agree with witega about this.

Do you, perhaps, not give people *enough* credit?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:01:40 PM by J Michael » Logged

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »

That may be the first time I have ever been accused of such. Perhaps I'm making progress.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »

I think most Christians distrust atheists because they think atheists deny God and therefore having no moral rock; or going even further, that atheists deny God because they want to be free to be wicked.

Red A.

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »

I think most Christians distrust atheists because they think atheists deny God and therefore having no moral rock; or going even further, that atheists deny God because they want to be free to be wicked.
Right and wrong are just what they decide it is from situation to situation or is just limited to what the law will let them can get away with. Most people do this anyway, but atheists make this their starting point.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

This is a bit off-topic, but Pope Benedict invited a couple agnostics to speak at the 2011 World Day of Prayer for Peace in Assisi (which marked the 25th anniversary of the 1986 World Day of Prayer for Peace).

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Yawn.

It seems this is an experiment trying to draw on the principle of the power of authority, like the infamous Zimbardo-Stanford basement experience or the Milgram experiment which demonstrated that people rely on their assumptions of authority and power to make social decisions.  People are more aggressive when it is authorized.  People are crueler when authority justifies it.  So people might try to add legitimacy to atheism in the sense that the societal roles of our communities fulfills the "omnipresent" eye in the sky.  In other words, a secular argument against religion being the source for morality.  Of course, any person even remotely familiar with ethics understands that morality is separate but can be related to religion.  Like Dawkins correctly points out, if folks are practicing morality strictly out of fear of retribution by a vengeful God, that is not genuine or sincere morality. I agree with this.  So morality, both for Christians and atheists alike, but stem from a sincere, mutual respect for people. This argument from the OP seems to suggest that atheists can have a secular morality where the omnipresent eye of God is replaced by the constant eye of social authority figures, both symbolically and literally.  This may be indeed correct, however, like Dawkins criticism, it is not really an empathy based sense of morality.  Further, remember like Apostle Paul says, Christians respect the secular authorities of the world, the police, the teachers, the governments, precisely because they are ministers of God's authority.  It is God who synergetically cooperates through the secular or societal authorities, which is to say, that all power and authority come from God.  We as Christians respect authority to submit to God's will.  Therefore we are not necessarily applicable to the results of studies like the Milgram study, because we do not necessarily follow the authority of the white lab coat or the priests' robes strictly because of their own human authority, rather because they symbolize the actual power of God, so we have a different ontology.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

Just to be completely sure, they want to make people trust atheists by making them trust secular authorities? 

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Just to be completely sure, they want to make people trust atheists by making them trust secular authorities?  

No, it seems that they are suggesting that since religious people seem to revert to trusting authority (as the Milgram and Zimbardo studies mutually suggest) aside from religion, that they also should then be able to trust atheists.  Of course, the premise seems off, do any of y'all actually have a problem trusting atheists?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:50:55 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »

Of course, the premise seems off, do any of y'all actually have a problem trusting atheists?

If I had a problem with trusting atheists, I would not be able to not trust my brothers, my friends, my teachers, together with about 80 % of the danish population, so I guess my answer must be no.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:55:45 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

No, it seems that they are suggesting that since religious people seem to revert to trusting authority (as the Milgram and Zimbardo studies mutually suggest) aside from religion, that they also should then be able to trust atheists.  Of course, the premise seems off, do any of y'all actually have a problem trusting atheists?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

No, but sometimes I have a problem trusting alpacas.  Grin

I say that purposely to highlight that I think the notion of putting a vague, generalized kind of "trust" in an amorphous, generalized, vague group whose sole identified common denominator is equally vague and generalized, seems to me somewhat absurd.  But, that's just me.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

No, it seems that they are suggesting that since religious people seem to revert to trusting authority (as the Milgram and Zimbardo studies mutually suggest) aside from religion, that they also should then be able to trust atheists.  Of course, the premise seems off, do any of y'all actually have a problem trusting atheists?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I say that purposely to highlight that I think the notion of putting a vague, generalized kind of "trust" in an amorphous, generalized, vague group whose sole identified common denominator is equally vague and generalized, seems to me somewhat absurd.  But, that's just me.

I think the "trust" this study is talking about is not the more philosophical trust that theologians speak of, but rather practical, instinctive, day-to-day trust that humans have with social interactions.  We trust that gravity keeps us grounded, it is not entirely a matter of faith but a pragmatic assumption based on experience.  We also inherently trust our social structures.  We trust the mutual and subconscious rules of etiquette, of appropriate behavior, of what gestures and miming signifies, etc etc.  We may sometimes take this instinctive trust for granted, but it is instinct that trust a smile, or distrust a person who doesn't follow societal norms.  We don't trust them with our money or to babysit our children, but do trust that strangers we encounter are necessarily going to randomly harm or abuse us.  This is the kind of trust I think they are talking about.  The same way that people seem to automatically trust the authority of a lab coat, uniform, badge, or priests' vestments.  We trust them, because they are symbols of the fixtures of our realities.  But why?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I think the "trust" this study is talking about is not the more philosophical trust that theologians speak of, but rather practical, instinctive, day-to-day trust that humans have with social interactions.  We trust that gravity keeps us grounded, it is not entirely a matter of faith but a pragmatic assumption based on experience.  We also inherently trust our social structures.  We trust the mutual and subconscious rules of etiquette, of appropriate behavior, of what gestures and miming signifies, etc etc.  We may sometimes take this instinctive trust for granted, but it is instinct that trust a smile, or distrust a person who doesn't follow societal norms.  We don't trust them with our money or to babysit our children, but do trust that strangers we encounter are necessarily going to randomly harm or abuse us.  This is the kind of trust I think they are talking about.  The same way that people seem to automatically trust the authority of a lab coat, uniform, badge, or priests' vestments.  We trust them, because they are symbols of the fixtures of our realities.  But why?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I could, but won't, take issue with a number of the sentences above, because I understand what you're getting at.

I still think that the study of the OP is eminently yawn-worthy and of very little relevance to just about anyone other than the psychologists who conducted it, and the participants in it who were probably paid to participate.  So, the $$ would have been quite relevant to them  Cheesy, if not the subject matter.

One thing I do tend not to trust, with exceptions of course, are studies.  I mentioned in another thread how poorly so many studies are designed, how many biases can be inherent in the design, etc., etc.  So, when someone mentions this or that study, without knowing the quality of the design and methodology, and who is paying for it and why, it raises red flags for me.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »

Anyone who has read any psychological literature knows that we are this way: and worse.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »

Transfer people's trust from God to the state.  That always works out well in the end.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »

Transfer people's trust from God to the state.  That always works out well in the end.
Especially when that state is corrupt.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »

That never happens. Big Brother always knows what is best for you, and only has your best interests at heart.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

That never happens. Big Brother always knows what is best for you, and only has your best interests at heart.
Quite the heart that it has.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

My view of Atheists is that they want to follow their own will.  This is the fundamental of the church of Satan.  (Do what thy wilt shall be the whole of the law).   Anton Levey of the Church of Satan is quoted as saying "The purest form of Atheism, is Satanism".

It boils down to
"Do what you want"
or
"Do what God wants" (THY will be done)

This doesn't mean that an atheist has to be so called "wicked".   
Atheists often hold morals, charity etc., which all seems great on the foreground.  I don't see atheists as all wicked and evil in their works (as a general), but I see them as casting themselves as their own "god" of sorts.  aka "I'm in charge of me, my own will, etc." rather than giving up their life to do God's will.   This is what "The angel of light" did in Isaiah 14.  He "Cast himself above God, and above the heavens".

Christians do these things to glorify God in his will.   If an atheist helps an orphan, it's (more or less) probably because the atheist feels bad or wants to.  If a Christian helps an orphan, they do it to glorify God, and follow his (God's)will first, and also because the Christian feels bad and wants to as well.

A Christian (is supposed to) live their life in God's will both in spirit and works.  (Thy will be done)
An Atheist lives their life according to the way they want. (Do what thy wilt)

Hopefully this makes sense, LOL.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »

My view of Atheists is that they want to follow their own will.

Well, yes, they follow their own wills because they don't believe in God or in a divine mandate of any kind. But if you are saying that atheists are atheists merely because they want to follow their own wills, I tend to disagree. Many atheists would prefer to believe in God, some even spend many years trying... but are not convinced of His existence. I would suggest that satanists (of the LaVeyan variety, at least), in contrast, want to follow their own wills regardless of whether God exists or not.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:19:06 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »

My view of Atheists is that they want to follow their own will.

Well, yes, they follow their own wills because they don't believe in God or in a divine mandate of any kind. But if you are saying that atheists are atheists merely because they want to follow their own wills, I tend to disagree. Many atheists would prefer to believe in God, some even spend many years trying... but are not convinced of His existence. I would suggest that satanists (of the LaVeyan variety, at least), in contrast, want to follow their own wills regardless of whether God exists or not.

I agree with this, but that is precisely why I argue that Atheism is as much a faith as any religion.  It takes faith to NOT believe in God, because folks really have no evidence one way or the other.  Reality has been severely photoshopped by the inflection of bias so folks really aren't sure one way or the other.  After all, even those of us in the Church have our doubts, not about God's existence, but about our own lives and the directions God is leading us.  We all have doubts, we all have fears, we all have anxieties, but those of us of Faith are consoled by the Spirit (hopefully).  Atheists are like ourselves, but they have no consolation in their doubts, or at the least, they do not notice or regard that voice of the Spirit tugging at their hearts.  I think loudly opinionated Atheists are as zealously religious about their non-faith as belligerently Bible-thumping Evangelicals and mega-church televangelists.  These are following their own wills, just as the Pharisees.  Others, are just hanging in there trying their best to make sense of a confusing world..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »

Big brother has never existed.

It has always been little brother.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »

Big brother has never existed.

It has always been little brother.

He's such a tattletale, too.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: