OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are some of us a little hard on protestants??  (Read 3835 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »

Im mainly referring to myself here.  As a jaded ex-protestant, I have at times been a little hard on other protestants and I feel like it has done more harm than good.  I feel like this is mainly happens with other converts (or future converts) like myself.  I dont have anyone in particular in mind that Im calling out, but has anyone else noticed this?  And does anyone else think that maybe we should worry about our own faith/salvation and let God deal with everyone else?  Should we maybe, in an act of humility, assume that protestants (or even Catholics for that matter) will be saved and that we (as individuals) have more work to do?  (I do think that Catholics and Protestants will be saved by the way)

I dont know what Im saying, but I feel like in my exploration of the Orthodox faith, I have found the truth.  I really believe that.  But in the process, I feel like I have been an arrogant jerk.  As some of you know, Im still very involved in protestant churches with the contract music I do.  When I would hear a preacher/speaker give a sermon, I used to try and pick it apart and figure out how I was right and they were wrong.  Lately, I have realized my sin and have tried to figure out what they say that is right and where we have common ground to work together.  

Anyone else feel me?  Maybe we could try and worry about ourselves more and not be so harsh to other people who may not be aware of everything that Orthodoxy has to offer.

This is mainly addressed to myself, but if there is anyone else out there who can relate to me, or has been where ive been, I just want to encourage us to try and be more loving (and I dont mean compromising doctrine or dogma) and not be so harsh and end up pushing people away.  These people who we are sometimes so harsh toward really do love Jesus and are in a place where they are growing closer to Him.

That is all.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:06:21 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

I disagree. Protestantism is spiritual cancer and I am speaking this from my experience as an ex-Protestant. Protestantism pollutes Christianity and we have to be on guard against them and point out the error of their ways, especially during these post-modern times where people think that all Christians are the same and it is okay if you are some type of Christian.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:30:54 PM »

Settle down, James.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »

Im mainly referring to myself here.  As a jaded ex-protestant, I have at times been a little hard on other protestants and I feel like it has done more harm than good.  I feel like this is mainly happens with other converts (or future converts) like myself.  I dont have anyone in particular in mind that Im calling out, but has anyone else noticed this?  And does anyone else think that maybe we should worry about our own faith/salvation and let God deal with everyone else?  Should we maybe, in an act of humility, assume that protestants (or even Catholics for that matter) will be saved and that we (as individuals) have more work to do?  (I do think that Catholics and Protestants will be saved by the way)

I dont know what Im saying, but I feel like in my exploration of the Orthodox faith, I have found the truth.  I really believe that.  But in the process, I feel like I have been an arrogant jerk.  As some of you know, Im still very involved in protestant churches with the contract music I do.  When I would hear a preacher/speaker give a sermon, I used to try and pick it apart and figure out how I was right and they were wrong.  Lately, I have realized my sin and have tried to figure out what they say that is right and where we have common ground to work together.  

Anyone else feel me?  Maybe we could try and worry about ourselves more and not be so harsh to other people who may not be aware of everything that Orthodoxy has to offer.

This is mainly addressed to myself, but if there is anyone else out there who can relate to me, or has been where ive been, I just want to encourage us to try and be more loving (and I dont mean compromising doctrine or dogma) and not be so harsh and end up pushing people away.  These people who we are sometimes so harsh toward really do love Jesus and are in a place where they are growing closer to Him.

That is all.

I'm with you.  Regardless of what a person thinks of certain protestant theologies, being an a-hole doesn't draw anyone closer to the fullness of Christianity.  It only makes you an a-hole.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »

I disagree. Protestantism is spiritual cancer and I am speaking this from my experience as an ex-Protestant. Protestantism pollutes Christianity and we have to be on guard against them and point out the error of their ways, especially during these post-modern times where people think that all Christians are the same and it is okay if you are some type of Christian.

Like I said, I dont think we should compromise on doctrine or dogma.  But when we seem to elevate ourselves above all the other Christians, I think it does more harm than good.  Keep in mind, most protestants arent actually "protesting" against Catholics or Orthodox like they were 500 years ago.  Theyre just going to church, trying to live a Holy life and grow closer to God.  I certainly agree that they have plenty of incorrect teachings, but I have heard several priests say, when referring to my protestant family members, "If they are in a place where they feel like they love God and are growing closer to Him, then leave them alone."  I think I agree with that.  I also, as always, could be wrong.

And also, James, with all due respect, I lied.  I said I didnt have anyone in particular in mind when writing this, but some of your posts are what inspired me to write this.  Its not necessarily that I disagree with anything you say, but its that I see a lot of myself in how you address the heterodox, and I, speaking from my own experience as an ex-protestant, have seen how it ultimately does more harm than good when trying to share our new found faith with people.  Maybe you have had a different experience than me though.

I hope you dont take this the wrong way, James, but I truly want everyone to experience the Orthodox faith.  But I also really think that by sharing the love of Christ and not assuming that we have all the answers, or that were better than anyone else, we are more likely to accomplish that goal.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:58:21 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »

being an a-hole doesn't draw anyone closer to the fullness of Christianity.  It only makes you an a-hole.

exactly.  i have found myself guilty of being an a-hole at times, and now im trying to undo any damage that I may have done.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:02 PM »

being an a-hole doesn't draw anyone closer to the fullness of Christianity.  It only makes you an a-hole.

exactly.  i have found myself guilty of being an a-hole at times, and now im trying to undo any damage that I may have done.

I've been there and will probably be there again.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »

I'm a jerk a lot of the time, but I hope I'm not a jerk about this particular thing. My own mother was very committed and serious about loving and following Christ and, yes, a Protestant. Other people's moms are also Protestants, I'm sure. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:59:25 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »

I'm a jerk a lot of the time, but I hope I'm not a jerk about this particular thing. My own mother was a very committed and serious lover of Christ and, yes, a Protestant. Other people's moms are also Protestants, I'm sure. Smiley

Mine. And my mother in-law.  And I certainly have no reason to question their salvation.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »

I've said things over the years that were probably uncharitable... though I tend to do that with all groups I suppose. I will say, though, that while I don't often say stuff these days about Protestants (I think?), I do harbor a rather low opinion of them. I don't necessarily want to, I just do. When I watch or read critiques of certain Christian ideas, I often find myself thinking something like: "Oh yeah, you can refute Evangelicals, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel. What about Catholics or Orthodox?" I do tend to hold, say, more traditionally minded Anglicans/Anglo-Catholics/whatever, or even more traditional Lutherans, Wesleyans, etc., separate from your typical non-denominational types... but anyway, I shouldn't be prideful/judgmental about it regardless...   In fact, a couple months ago I started seeing a new therapist (cause I iz crazy), and in the first session she mentioned that her MA was from Liberty University. She also mentioned something related to Catholicism, so I asked her if she would share what her belief system was, and she said something vague about pentacostalism. "Oh boy," I thought, "this is gonna be interesting". By "interesting" I meant a lot of things, including that she was probably going to be completely unhelpful, and perhaps I even verged on thinking that she would be incapable of helping me. She has turned out to be the most helpful therapist I've ever had--and I've had more than a few over the last 16 years.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:06:40 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »

I've said things over the years that were probably uncharitable... though I tend to do that with all groups I suppose. I will say, though, that while I don't often say stuff these days about Protestants (I think?), I do harbor a rather low opinion of them. I don't necessarily want to, I just do. When I watch or read critiques of certain Christian ideas, I often find myself thinking something like: "Oh yeah, you can refute Evangelicals, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel. What about Catholics or Orthodox?" I do tend to hold, say, more traditionally minded Anglicans/Anglo-Catholics/whatever, or even more traditional Lutherans, Wesleyans, etc., separate from your typical non-denominational types... but anyway, maybe I shouldn't...   In fact, a couple months ago I started seeing a new therapist (cause I iz crazy), and in the first session she mentioned that her MA was from Liberty University. She also mentioned something related to Catholicism, so I asked her if she would share what her belief system was, and she said something vague about pentacostalism. "Oh boy," I thought, "this is gonna be interesting". By "interesting" I meant a lot of things, including that she was going to be completely unhelpful, and perhaps I even verged on thinking that she would be incapable of helping me. She has turned out to be the most helpful therapist I've ever had--and I've had more than a few over the last 16 years.

I admit that I am guilty of this too.  I tend to have a lower opinion of them, but I am trying to work on this.  I often see my friends re-tweet a popular evangelical person or something, or hear them talk about their worship service last week, and I think to myself, "My goodness, you have no idea...."

I dont know if its necessarily wrong to have those thoughts, but I used to act on them and would wind up criticizing people.  Looking back, that was a terrible idea.  Ultimately, I found Orthodoxy because I was raised to love God as a protestant.  I have to trust that God will at some point do that for everyone, even if he does it on the other side of the grave.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:12 PM »

I'm a jerk a lot of the time, but I hope I'm not a jerk about this particular thing. My own mother was very committed and serious about loving and following Christ and, yes, a Protestant. Other people's moms are also Protestants, I'm sure. Smiley

Mine as well. If I can be half the Christian my mom is, it would be a great improvement. My grandma (mom's mom) is the holiest lady I know. Do I think they have doctrines wrong? Yes, absolutely. But they love Christ and I see the fruit of it in their lives. I'm not being a relativist here, just saying that I think God draws all men to Himself, and they have to come from somewhere.  Wink

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »

I've said things over the years that were probably uncharitable... though I tend to do that with all groups I suppose. I will say, though, that while I don't often say stuff these days about Protestants (I think?), I do harbor a rather low opinion of them. I don't necessarily want to, I just do. When I watch or read critiques of certain Christian ideas, I often find myself thinking something like: "Oh yeah, you can refute Evangelicals, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel. What about Catholics or Orthodox?" I do tend to hold, say, more traditionally minded Anglicans/Anglo-Catholics/whatever, or even more traditional Lutherans, Wesleyans, etc., separate from your typical non-denominational types... but anyway, maybe I shouldn't...   In fact, a couple months ago I started seeing a new therapist (cause I iz crazy), and in the first session she mentioned that her MA was from Liberty University. She also mentioned something related to Catholicism, so I asked her if she would share what her belief system was, and she said something vague about pentacostalism. "Oh boy," I thought, "this is gonna be interesting". By "interesting" I meant a lot of things, including that she was going to be completely unhelpful, and perhaps I even verged on thinking that she would be incapable of helping me. She has turned out to be the most helpful therapist I've ever had--and I've had more than a few over the last 16 years.

I admit that I am guilty of this too.  I tend to have a lower opinion of them, but I am trying to work on this.  I often see my friends re-tweet a popular evangelical person or something, or hear them talk about their worship service last week, and I think to myself, "My goodness, you have no idea...."

I dont know if its necessarily wrong to have those thoughts, but I used to act on them and would wind up criticizing people.  Looking back, that was a terrible idea.  Ultimately, I found Orthodoxy because I was raised to love God as a protestant.  I have to trust that God will at some point do that for everyone, even if he does it on the other side of the grave.

I think you're doing okay, Timon, for what it's worth.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »

Bad wording with the title. Just wanted to point out you said "hard on".

I'm going to need this.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »

Only you would see a double entendre where there is none. Roll Eyes
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »

I actually noticed that as soon as I posted it.... haha!

Now, back to the topic....
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:17:00 PM by Timon » Logged

— Chrysostom

BLOG
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »

I actually noticed that as soon as I posted it.... haha!
Yup. Shows where your mind is. Wink
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »

Yes, so many years experience. 

I believe that the path to Salvation is much harder in many of the Protestant denominations.  But I still think that it is possible.  Christ makes it clear in the New Testament what is necessary for Salvation.  If someone is ernestly trying to serve Christ (and I have seen many in the Protestant churches that are) and has not outright rejected the True Church, I think that they will be judged accordingly.  We have less excuse for or errors than they do.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »

That is all.

We should operate as though the whole of creation will be redeemed, but that we (that is, each individual should assume they) will be damned.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »

I'm only hard on the fundamentalists, cause they deserve to be humbled a little. The moderate protestant I can actually have respect for.

Thank you.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 08:31:46 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed a pleasant 20 minutes or so with an Orthodox monk, in the monastery where he lives, though conversation was limited by his poor English and my much worse Greek. Last year and a bit before that, I had time with a couple of bishops. One ended up wishing me blessing "in the Lord's vineyard", the other (who I think would properly be called Byzantine Catholic) sat and conversed with me and my three friends for perhaps half an hour or more, and was warmly friendly. These three men were considerably more winsome, and did more for Orthodoxy, than the ones who have publicly cursed us and any who give us hospitality, or called us descendants of Judas Iscariot.

My hope for this Forum is not that it will generate conversions from one side to the other, but will (a) promote better mutual understanding and thus respect, and (b) draw people of either 'side' to Christ if their faith is shaky, or deepen it if it is well established already. It does me good to be made to ponder seriously on graciously worded challenges on various threads; insulting posts I merely ignore.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:32:35 AM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 08:48:33 AM »

What I don't ever get when Orthodox bag on Protestants is that the blame in my opinion is with Rome. If they didn't have the doctrine of the primacy of their Pope there would have never been a schism, and with no schism probably wouldn't have been the corruption of the Western church, therefore no need for a reformation. I don't think you can universally blame them for "not looking East" because I would imagine communication was hard in those days and they were probably so jaded by concentrated power that they reasonably didn't trust any established church.

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »

And does anyone else think that maybe we should worry about our own faith/salvation and let God deal with everyone else?  

This is pretty much where I am now. It was not always thus! Wink I enjoy a good theological smackdown as much as anyone. But I came to realize that no one was ever argued into faith.

That said, if you have found something overwhelmingly beautiful, the pearl of great price as it were, isn't it natural to run around joyfully trying to show people?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:13:30 AM »

In fact, a couple months ago I started seeing a new therapist (cause I iz crazy), and in the first session she mentioned that her MA was from Liberty University. She also mentioned something related to Catholicism, so I asked her if she would share what her belief system was, and she said something vague about pentacostalism. "Oh boy," I thought, "this is gonna be interesting". By "interesting" I meant a lot of things, including that she was probably going to be completely unhelpful, and perhaps I even verged on thinking that she would be incapable of helping me. She has turned out to be the most helpful therapist I've ever had--and I've had more than a few over the last 16 years.

Ask her if she knows Dick Cheney.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »

First let me say that I definitely prefer your statement over the one made by RC priest Fr. J Steele, about the "Melkite cancer".

Nevertheless, I find it suspicious when people find their identity in their rejection of something. Not that I can't relate -- I can, from my own experience several years, when "not being Protestant" was a big part of my identity. Kind of like equating the question "Which is better, Eastern Orthodoxy or Roman Catholicism or Eastern Catholicism?" with "Which of them is less Protestant?"

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »

And does anyone else think that maybe we should worry about our own faith/salvation and let God deal with everyone else?  

This is pretty much where I am now. It was not always thus! Wink I enjoy a good theological smackdown as much as anyone. But I came to realize that no one was ever argued into faith.

That said, if you have found something overwhelmingly beautiful, the pearl of great price as it were, isn't it natural to run around joyfully trying to show people?
+1

I can point out plenty of theological flaws in a given doctrinal system, but some of the holiest people I have met were poor, rural fundamentalists who never knew anything more. Even without the access to the things I have access to, they are more likely to receive the uncreated light than I.

And Hyperdoxy is a virus that can blind one to true Orthodoxy.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »

I don't think you can universally blame them for "not looking East" because I would imagine communication was hard in those days

Actually the communication between the Protestants and the Orthodox in XVIth and XVIIth century was quite good.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:17:26 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »

I am certainly happy with the responses that have been given here.  I hope you guys, my friends, and family, will forgive me for being so Hyperdox.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

Im 100% with you!!

Yes.  But if youre rude about it, and basically tell people theyre stupid if they dont wear a pearl necklace, they might not be as interested! haha

— Chrysostom

BLOG
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »

they were probably so jaded by concentrated power that they reasonably didn't trust any established church.

You'd be surprised by how much concentrated power was backing Luther...
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »

I guess as a recent convert, looking "back" on Protestantism, I find alot of the claims to be rather silly in light of history. I really have to remember that I knew the history and believed that way too for a very long time. Not everyone who sees a painting will see the same painting.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »

they were probably so jaded by concentrated power that they reasonably didn't trust any established church.

It's the only reason he didn't get killed, I know. I'm speaking of a Religious concentrated power like that of the Papacy.

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »

I don't think you can universally blame them for "not looking East" because I would imagine communication was hard in those days

Actually the communication between the Protestants and the Orthodox in XVIth and XVIIth century was quite good.

I know that's true with the Lutherans, I actually read a lot of the communications back and forth from that period. Not sure about all the other Protestants by that time if they were in contact with the East?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:09:05 AM by Happy Lutheran » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »

It's the only reason he didn't get killed, I know. I'm speaking of a Religious concentrated power like that of the Papacy.

Geneva or Canterbury...

I know that's true with the Lutherans, I actually read a lot of the communications back and forth from that period. Not sure about all the other Protestants by that time if they were in contact with the East?

I know it was easy with Calvinists in Rzeczpospolita and Austria too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I agree completely and I am very much guilty of these.  I think it is important for us all (myself especially included) to remember that protestantism is a dangerous and divisive heresy.  However, Protestants themselves are just gullible, ignorant, or sorry sinners like the rest of us.  We ALL need continually repentance and reconciliation, and none of us are greater than another.  If anything, we are worse than they, for we are Orthodox, and have no excuses being acquainted with the Grace of God through the Divine Mysteries.  They are outsiders, they are free in their ignorance, and God will bless them in His time.  We should stay in prayer for us all. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »

If anything, we are worse than they, for we are Orthodox,  and have no excuses being acquainted with the Grace of God through the Divine Mysteries

exactly.  it doesnt make sense to claim that we have the fullness of the faith, and then not love as Christ commands of us. 

and I realize I probably shouldnt say "we" as I am not officially Orthodox yet.  guess im getting a little ahead of myself. ha!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »

O.K. now here is an interesting post!  Smiley

I hope its o.k. that I chime in with the ‘outside the box’ opinion.

First off Timon, I have not read anything you have ever written that would give clue of any harshness or prejudice you mention. I’ll take your word for it and say God bless for looking into the shadowed corners of anything you see in yourself, but you have never offended me bro! On the contrary in fact.

A few years ago well before I joined OC.net (to which I feel grateful, humbled, and literally blessed to be part of) I had a very brief correspondence via e-mail with an Orthodox Christian from Kosovo. Long story but I was offering prayer and support to what our brethren were going through over there. I mentioned I was ‘Protestant’ and if he did not mind the Church I belong would pray for him (them) and the tribulations they were going through. I have long since deleted the e-mail but I should never forget something he said. I’ll paraphrase the best I can… ‘I can not ever turn from the Truth and Love I have found in Orthodoxy. I must remind myself though of our Lords ‘new’ command; to love thy neighbor as thyself, and not judge or look down upon those seeking God in a way different than my own.’

I think we can all learn and take heed in those wise words. It is not just an Orthodox issue of course. Roman Catholics, Orthodox, and the many sects of Protestants all are guilty of what you mention. Protestants might even be harshest toward other Protestants in some cases. I realize and do not wish to down play the significant differences there clearly are.  Yet when compared to the infinite Love of our Lord God that we do share, are those differences not much smaller? As the many different denominations and creeds, proclaiming the Truth and Love of our Lord Christ bicker and quarrel surely God must shake His head. Even worst; does the evil one simply smile? Satan’s goal is to bring down God’s kingdom is it not? What better way than do divide us that in some cases lead to an ill will that is contrary to the purification God wants for each of us. Take my opinion for what it worth of course as I put myself in the front row of repenting sinners and fools. Not only that I'm considered a Protestant.  Grin

If I may address JamesR as I too of course have read some of his less than flattering posts. Yet, what I hear is a young man of intelligence and passion intensely seeking the Lord. He has found what he believes as the Truth in Orthodoxy, and I say glory to God. James (forgive me if this is unwelcome) I certainly could be wrong but I get the impression that in some way a certain group of Protestants have some how harmed and scarred you perhaps. (Maybe directly or maybe just because of some doctrine or behavior that for some reason upsets you so) I would only like to say that perhaps you would consider the paragraph above. Consider also that Protestants are as diverse as the stars. We are not all like those that seem to have upset you sir. We most certainly are not all ‘one group’. Allow me to extend my hand in the name of Christ and say I respect you for your beliefs, and your enthusiastic quest for our Lord God. Your passion is unquestioned in my eyes, and I only wish I had the knowledge and foundation as you do, when I was your age. Ummm, well, maybe even at my present age!?!  Wink

Peace & Grace

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »

‘I can not ever turn from the Truth and Love I have found in Orthodoxy. I must remind myself though of our Lords ‘new’ command; to love thy neighbor as thyself, and not judge or look down upon those seeking God in a way different than my own.’

Great quote.  And the more I listen to Orthodox Priests and monks, this is the mentality I keep hearing.  I sometimes see lay people (like myself) being hard on other Christians, but I dont often see it from the leaders in the Church.  (im sure you can dig up an article on google or video on youtube of an Orthodox clergy saying something not so nice, but overall I dont hear it from them very much, if at all.)

And I certainly didnt want this to turn into something where we all jump on JamesR.  He isnt the reason I started this thread.  I have just read some of his posts and they were almost exactly in the same tone I have addressed my protestant friends and family at times.  I certainly think James has wisdom and knowledge FAR beyond his years.  Hes certainly smarter than me and I have a college degree, a job, family, provide for myself, etc.  I would just hate to see people think negatively of Orthodoxy because someone like myself didnt treat others the way Christ would have. 

And for the last time, incase anyone hasnt read this whole thing, im not saying we should compromise on what our Church believes, but we certainly wont convince anyone of anything by being rude about it.  I just need to explain the East's position when asked and not bash everyone else in the process. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »

Frequently certain, often wrong: PtA.

I too got a chuckle out of the title.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »

Outside of this insane asylum of internetz when do you people ever really discuss "religion"?

Not that much discussion goes on here . . .

Sheesh. You all must be downers.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »

Consider also that Protestants are as diverse as the stars. We are not all like those that seem to have upset you sir. We most certainly are not all ‘one group’.

Well said, alanscott. :thumbsup: As I said on another thread (I forget which one) assuming that protestants are one monolithic group makes as little sense as assuming that catholics (Lutherans, Anglicans, Orthodox, and Catholics) are one monolithic group.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »

I guess as a recent convert, looking "back" on Protestantism, I find alot of the claims to be rather silly in light of history. I really have to remember that I knew the history and believed that way too for a very long time. Not everyone who sees a painting will see the same painting.

PP

Wait till you look back on some of the claims of Orthodoxy.

Be careful of Triumphalism.

And really your post is rife with all the "philosophical baggage" the Netodox rant about.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »

Outside of this insane asylum of internetz when do you people ever really discuss "religion"?

I discuss it quite regularly.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »

I discuss it quite regularly.

Stop.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I would further like to sincerely agree and big up Timon's OP sentiments that we should all be worried exclusively about ourselves.  My priests explained it to me that in Orthodox, its best for us to only worry about our own salvation, and pray for others.  Be they in our families, our friendships, our work places, or just out in the world, we can only pray for others, and can only take care of our own souls.  Eternal life at the end of the day is an individual matter of the heart.  Another priest wisely said to me this weekend, "The rest of this world is an illusion, all that counts is yourself."  That is true.  We sin when we get caught up in things around us, the spinning of the Cosmic Wheel, but when we go inside ourselves in prayer, we commune with God and find out true identity in Salvation.  We can't give this to others by teaching or browbeating, only God can give this gift of the Spirit.  So we can just pray.  I like to think to myself that "everybody else BUT me is already saved, so I've got a lot of work yet to do."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: