OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:57:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bin Laden Tape  (Read 1247 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« on: October 30, 2004, 08:47:24 AM »

Al-Jazeera Airs Videotape by Bin Laden

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - Osama bin Laden, reading a statement to the American people in a new videotape aired Friday, directly admitted for the first time that he ordered the Sept. 11 attacks and said ``the best way to avoid another Manhattan'' was to stop threatening Muslims' security.

It was the first footage of the al-Qaida leader to surface in more than a year. The video, broadcast on Al-Jazeera, showed bin Laden with a long gray beard, wearing traditional white robes, a turban and a golden cloak reading from papers in front of a plain, brown curtain.

In Washington, the FBI and Justice Department had no immediate assessment of the meaning of the bin Laden tape. Officials said one part of their analysis will be to discern whether there may be hidden messages or clues about a possible future attack against the United States. But they said it was too early to know that yet.

There was no way to determine when the tape was made, although it did refer to next week's presidential elections in the United States.

"We decided to destroy towers in America,'' bin Laden said, referring to the World Trade Center.

"God knows that it had not occurred to our mind to attack the towers, but after our patience ran out and we saw the injustice and inflexibility of the American-Israeli alliance toward our people in Palestine and Lebanon, this came to my mind,'' he said.

He accused President Bush of "misleading'' the American people since the 2001 suicide airline hijackings that hit the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

"Your security is not in the hands of (Democratic candidate John) Kerry or Bush or al-Qaida. Your security is in your own hands,'' bin Laden said.

"To the U.S. people, my talk is to you about the best way to avoid another disaster,'' he said. "I tell you: security is an important element of human life and free people do not give up their security.''

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. It is known that those who hate freedom do not have dignified souls, like those of the 19 blessed ones,'' he said, referring to the 19 hijackers.

"We fought you because we are free .. and want to regain freedom for our nation. As you undermine our security we undermine yours.''

The image of bin Laden reading a statement was dramatically different from the few other videos of the al-Qaida leader that have emerged since the Sept. 11 attacks.

In the last videotape, issued Sept. 10, 2003, bin Laden is seen walking through rocky terrain with his top deputy Ayman al-Zawahri, both carrying automatic rifles. In a taped message issued at the same time, bin Laden praises the
"great damage to the enemy'' on Sept. 11 and mentions five hijackers by name.

In December 2001, the Pentagon released a videotape in which bin Laden is shown at a dinner with associates in Afghanistan on Nov. 9, 2001, saying the destruction of the Sept. 11 attacks exceeded even his ``optimistic'' calculations.

But in none of his previous messages, audio or video, did bin Laden directly state that he ordered the attacks.

The last audiotape purportedly from bin Laden came in April. The speaker on the tape, which CIA analysts said likely was the al-Qaida leader, offered a truce to European nations if they pull troops out of Muslim countries. The tape referred to the March 22 assassination by Israel of Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin.

Al-Zawahri, bin Laden's Egyptian deputy, has spoken on three recent audiotapes that emerged on June 11, Sept. 9 and Oct. 1 this year. In the latest, he called on young Muslims to strike the United States and its allies.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 12:20:15 PM »

From what I seen on the video, he is pretty healthy and alive.

Most likely released to influence the election & to set something in motion.

He escaped the cross hairs again, 1st Clinton now Bush.

Pray that the 3rd is a strike + out.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »

I'm tired of these punks in headscarfs who think they can get & away with murder & influence our elections. It does go to show you how effective our country has been in stopping terror attacks in the last few years. Instead of terrorist attacks to disrupt our election proccess, they can only respond with a video, what a bunch of losers. Looks like the radical islamic mafia should find a new hobby because the current one hasn't boded to well for them  Grin

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 07:28:56 PM »

Fact remains that the BASTARD is still ALIVE!!!

We SHOULD have caught this piece of sh*t and strung him up in the middle of Times Square by now!!
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 09:22:23 PM »

Irritating - they never get these translations right.

Amongst the undoubtable presence of other mistakes:

'The best way to avoid another Manhattan', not 'another disaster'.

'The souls of the nineteen, God have [literally 'had'] mercy on them* [i.e. R.I.P.]', not 'the nineteen blessed ones' (very misleading).

*ironic when translated into English, considering who these nineteen were.  In English, those words are directed to a notorious criminal facing the noose.  In Arabic, it is the equivalent of 'God rest their souls'.

In IC XC
Samer

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 09:32:17 PM »

Tom, I just hope folks care to remember him.  The man seems like a fuzzy memory in the country's collective consciousness (political consciousness more like it).  A good thing he managed to jumpstart some people's recollections with this latest video.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 09:32:57 PM by SamB » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 11:56:37 PM »

Exactly so, Samer.
It would seem that he was more effective in his absence than in his re-surfaced self.
We Americans are weird sometimes; reacting differently than others might think.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 04:13:47 AM »

Of course, this video has revealed one very important thing.  It has confirmed that the man is still alive when certainty was lacking.

In IC XC
Samer
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 05:13:11 PM »

Instead of terrorist attacks to disrupt our election proccess, they can only respond with a video, what a bunch of losers.

I'd rather they release tapes than another nineteen armed with airplanes or something like that, thank you very much...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: