OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 01:51:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which Church jurisdiction are you in? Or for non-Christians, do you identify as any of these?
Roman Catholic - 7 (9.1%)
Japanese Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Greek Orthodox - 12 (15.6%)
Russian Orthodox (incl. ROCOR) - 8 (10.4%)
Ethiopian Orthodox - 1 (1.3%)
Coptic Orthodox - 6 (7.8%)
Armenian Apostolic Orthodox - 1 (1.3%)
Syriac Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Serbian Orthodox - 4 (5.2%)
Indian Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Bulgarian Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Antiochian Orthodox - 6 (7.8%)
Eritrean Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Georgian Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Orthodox Church in America - 13 (16.9%)
Romanian Orthodox - 2 (2.6%)
Albanian Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Macedonian Orthodox - 0 (0%)
Ukrainian Orthodox - 2 (2.6%)
Other Orthodox (please state) - 4 (5.2%)
Eastern-Rite Catholic - 2 (2.6%)
Maronite - 0 (0%)
Assyrian (Nestorian) - 0 (0%)
Protestant (incl. Anglican) - 1 (1.3%)
Mormon - 0 (0%)
Pagan (incl. neo-pagan) - 0 (0%)
Hindu - 0 (0%)
Sikh - 0 (0%)
Muslim - 0 (0%)
Buddhist - 0 (0%)
Zoastrian - 0 (0%)
Raelian - 0 (0%)
Jewish - 1 (1.3%)
Jehovah's Witness - 0 (0%)
Atheist - 1 (1.3%)
Agnostic - 1 (1.3%)
Druze - 0 (0%)
Samaritan - 0 (0%)
Other (please state) - 5 (6.5%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survey of Jurisdictions/Religious Beliefs on these Forums  (Read 2479 times) Average Rating: 0
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: May 15, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »

Comments and/or further statements related to the topic/poll are welcome Cool

To the Moderators, if there is a better section to host this question, please move it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:40:04 AM by Didymus » Logged

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »

I picked Ukrainian Orthodox, but want to make it clear it is the UOCofUSA and not the KP.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »

Heh, if there are any Mormons, JW's, or Muslims here, they sure are keeping a low profile Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »

Some fine fellows on this forum have helpfully identified my faith as "perpetual vacillator." Unfortunately that option wasn't available (why ever not?  Tongue ), so I voted for agnostic, since that's what I am 90% of the time, though "agnostic who leans heavily towards theism" would be more accurate.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

RCs ftw  Grin
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »

We can only pick one? Cool

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »

OCA master race

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »

What's a "Zoastrian"?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »

What's a "Zoastrian"?
Its a Zoroastrian who has trouble with the letter "R".

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »

What's a "Zoastrian"?
It's the Greek for "Life Star" (zoe aster, ζωή ἀστήρ), the initial name of what Darth Vader would later re-label as the "Death Star" (thanatos aster, ˈθanatos ἀστήρ).

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »

What's a "Zoastrian"?
It's the Greek for "Life Star" (zoe aster, ζωή ἀστήρ), the initial name of what Darth Vader would later re-label as the "Death Star" (thanatos aster, ˈθanatos ἀστήρ).
I like your answer better.

PP

Gregory the Great

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

RCs ftw  Grin
winning.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:25:19 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »

My jurisdiction is Spritual Limbo.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »

We can only pick one? Cool

What a shame for you that one of the options wasn't Multi-Denominationalist  Cool.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 02:32:10 PM »

Uh oh....!!!

Are Zoastrians very spritual?   laugh laugh laugh

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

Uh oh....!!!

Wink

It's complicated. Spiritual Limbo is shorter and easier to say than "Ex-Protestant who can't make up her mind between Orthodoxy and Catholicism", and for some reason that wasn't an option.  Huh  Tongue

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »

Uh oh....!!!

Wink

It's complicated. Spiritual Limbo is shorter and easier to say than "Ex-Protestant who can't make up her mind between Orthodoxy and Catholicism", and for some reason that wasn't an option.  Huh  Tongue

There, you said it  Wink Wink.

Your jurisdiction may be S.L. (even shorter!), but if your faith is as you list it then I'd venture to say you're in a better place than many others here.

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »

I put Serbian, cos that is the prish that i attending now based on my relocation for th summer, but im also being catechised in a ROCOR church
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »

RCs ftw  Grin

Oh yeah.  Grin
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »

"Ex-Protestant who can't make up her mind between Orthodoxy and Catholicism",

That's probably where I would be, if I had started out Protestant.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »

Uh oh....!!!

Wink

I'm the same. We should hangout.  Cheesy Tongue

BTW, Didymus, this list is incomplete and NOT in alphabetical order. How do you live with yourself?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:27:19 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »

NOT in alphabetical order.

Obviously, Didymus realized that "Roman Catholic" belongs at the top.  Cool

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »

Uh oh....!!!

Wink

I'm the same. We should hangout.  Cheesy Tongue

BTW, Didymus, this list is incomplete and NOT in alphabetical order. How do you live with yourself?

Really? I'm not alone? Hurray! I mean... Sorry you can't make up your mind, either. Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

NOT in alphabetical order.

Obviously, Didymus realized that "Roman Catholic" belongs at the top.  Cool

Shirley you jest. I thought it was in order of attention span, which is why Catholics were first (ie. least able to read through a lengthy list)?  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:15:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:34 PM »

Well I know its a simple poll but I have a dramatically long answer that I will try to condense.

PART 1
In some ways I'm a very conservative Orthodox Christian.  Some would say I'd go with the old believers.  I'm devoutly against he EO church going into ecumenism, which gave me a personal schism with the church (in ways) a while back after a lifetime of being a dedicated Eastern Orthodox Christian.   I love the church, love the teachings, but differ on some (what I would consider) "trivial issues".   Issues such as addressing a priest as "father" (please no debates here, I have other threads with that), the iconostasis screen (like old believer Orthodox), and some of the other practices that I would consider unneeded or (forgive me) edging on fanaticism such as repetitive prayer on a 100x prayer rope, or continually crossing one self, or even sometimes icon veneration seems rather pointless.   As wreckless and cruel as this may seem when I bring up these issues with my Orthodox brethren, it really isn't the "meat and potatoes" of Orthodoxy anyway.   The EO Eucharist, is the central focus, the prayer is stunningly and amazingly spiritual and beautiful.   I love the history, the fullness and richness of the Orthodox church.   I do NOT call it wrong, I just have issues with a few of the practices.

If I would go to an Eastern Orthodox church today to bring myself back into communion with Orthodoxy, I would attend the "Holy Metropolis of the Genuine Greek Orthodox Church in America.   I believe that branch would fit me the best, as it works against Ecumenism and does not have questionable origins (such as the Milan synod).

However, I would want to be very sure that I would be ready.   The closest of these Churches is in Oklahoma.  I have met Mr. & Mrs. Gilstrap (Fr. Gilstrap) before, and they are very kind and wonderful people.   They have a small church there.  I refuse to bring them my state of mind (whether I am right or wrong) when they are secure in their faith.

So I am technically Orthodox by baptism, and have not broken away, just have some disagreements on "trivial" things.

PART 2
While I have been "away" from the faith I have learned some incredibly interesting things that don't disagree with Orthodoxy, though many Orthodox Christians do get bent out of shape on the mention.  Well for one, I learned that God's name was spoken as "Yeshua" as he walked on this Earth.  I found it amazing to learn this detail, as we basically always called him "Jesus".   I learned that it was not that there is any conspiracy or error per se, but that "Jesus" came out of the Greek scriptures.  (Yeshua is Aramaic the name of Christ in his native tongue).   I found it completely amazing and taking the scriptures "to pray in his name" seriously.  We always pray in the name of "Yeshua" in our home.  We feel that the name of Yeshua, represents the entire trinity - The Father, the son, and the Holy Spirit.

I also learned many very cool and interesting facts of the traditions of the Early Christians from Messianic Jews.   Very neat details I did not know before.  The symbolism of the coin in the fish's mouth, or the wiping of the feet with the hair... It was amazingly powerful stuff.  These messianic Jews were former Jews who converted to Christianity.  They had many details of the early Jewish traditions since childhood.  They could point out stuff in the New Testament and how it related to Judaism, or the symbolism of certain things in Judaism like no other people I have seen.   Theologically I somewhat disagree with their worship, but in fulfilling richness of faith, understanding of traditions and symbols, and the understanding of Judaism, I have no problem conversing with messianic Jews.

Part 3
Anabaptist (should be on your list). (Amish, Mennonites, Hutterites)
They are not protestant.
They are not Catholic.
They are a group of people who wanted to root back to "Early Christian Tradition" based off the scriptures and early writings.

The Anabaptist influence has the next greatest impact on me to Orthodoxy.  (Messianic Jews just have neat stuff to teach IMO)

If I had to pick from the 3 groups of Anabaptists to give examples of that have influence on me, it would be the Hutterites.  They are an amazing bunch of people, and almost a shellshock to my Orthodox faith.   Okay, so let me throw out some examples.

A) They worship Jesus Christ, as do the Eastern Orthodox
B) They believe in the Trinity, as do the Eastern Orthodox
C) Sunday worship as do the Eastern Orthodox
D) They practice the 7 sacraments.  Chrismation, Unction, Ordination, Matrimony, Communion, Baptism, Confession
E) They claim succession (through their RC origins from the apostles), the Orthodox claim succession as well.  Each has records
F) The Anabaptist women wear head coverings always, as they believe they are to pray without ceasing.
G) Ordinations are picked locally, by the "casting of lots".  Similar to how an EO bishop is picked, but done locally within the church.
H) They practice foot washing.
I) They sing A Cappella like the Orthodox
J) Hutterites live as the apostles, all sharing from the same money bag in their community.  

Anyway, when I saw this at first I was like....  Shocked   I mean what do you say?  It's like well.... You... are.... wrong... because.... "Eastern Orthodoxy doesn't represent you or your succession".   That was the only argument.   By scripture, early Christian writings & teachings, these folks really seem to have it together IMO.   Their children (fruits) are incredibly well behaved more so than any other faiths children I've ever seen.  Their divorce rate is also incredibly low (even compared with EO)...

My wife is an Anabaptist Mennonite, and dresses in modest clothing, does not plait her hair, and covers.   As do my female children.  They wear no jewelry or makeup (Roman women tradition that the Anabaptists preach against), wear no gold (scriptures), and yes, people often look at us funny in the store (they smile too).

So anyway, that is why my faith looks like a blender.

PART 4
I'm Eastern Orthodox
Love the family life of the Anabaptist and how they hold to scriptural traditions (perhaps stronger than *most* of the Orthodox)
And I love the teachings of Jewish traditions and insight of the Messianic Jews.

In a "PERFECT WORLD" for me (yes people I am DUCKING here and this is MY OPINION) - I just wish the Eastern Orthodox Church would get its freaking act together because its sooo close.  The theology is THERE which is the most important.  The depth and richness is there.  The beauty is there.  Real worship is there.  God is there.  I don't know what it is, or when it happened, but somewhere along the line some of the traditions of the Early Christians were dropped.   People wear gold, short skirts (even border cleavage) to some of the churches.  Many do not practice head coverings for women and clothing to not compete with each other.   NOW think monastics - there ya go.  They follow these things.  Plain dress, modesty, non-competition from riches, gold, jewelry and riches avoided.... Why not the laymen like the Anabaptists is beyond me.

Unlike the Orthodox, the Anabaptist, where I can tell you from experience in both types of churches, the depth is not there or fulfillment is not entirely there.  The richness is not there.  But they totally smack the EO church in the face with family life, well behaved children, and following the "surface" areas of early Christians.   They heavily emphasize to not be of this world, encourage to avoid television with its evil messages, time wasting video games (and evil), and warn heavily against evil music.  The church takes this stance heavily, and watches over the flock this way.  EO does too, but not to the level of the Anabaptists and it shows.

So I'd love it if a Orthodoxy would start heavily encouraging these early Christian practices of dress, non-resistance, non-competitiveness, modesty, and issue warning (yes from the bishops) of the evils of television, music, video games etc.

Right now I'm stuck in a crux of Orthodox by faith and Anabaptist by living (which impacts faith).   So there ya have it!  Smiley
God Bless.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:42:25 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »

Undecided

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »

Not Greek but belong to the greek orthodox church.

Thank you.
ndigila

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Alexandria (Archdiocese of Kenya)

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »

Alexandrian Orthodox?

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »

"Right now I'm stuck in a crux of Orthodox by faith and Anabaptist by living (which impacts faith). "

First, I really admire your explanation; honest and straight from the heart. As one who was confused by your stances in the past, I am glad to see the context. However, may I ask you a question that is somehow related to the OP: Is it possible to have a Amish/Mennonite living in an Orthodox setting? Granted not everybody would look or behave the same, but you and your family may start a modest living trend. Who knows what the Lord will do through you and yours?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »

"Right now I'm stuck in a crux of Orthodox by faith and Anabaptist by living (which impacts faith). "

First, I really admire your explanation; honest and straight from the heart. As one who was confused by your stances in the past, I am glad to see the context. However, may I ask you a question that is somehow related to the OP: Is it possible to have a Amish/Mennonite living in an Orthodox setting? Granted not everybody would look or behave the same, but you and your family may start a modest living trend. Who knows what the Lord will do through you and yours?

It's always possible.   Of course it would be an "Orthodox Christian living in an Anabaptist setting/family life".  A dream of mine would have the entire body of Anabaptists to come to Orthodoxy as that would be a tremendous impact on the Orthodox church parishoner's family life (in my opinion) in a fantastic way.  Of course, this reality is almost an absolute zero percent shot of happening, as I believe that would have happened way back during inception.

Of course to make the long story longer (hah) when I first met the Anabaptists my arms were pretty folded together.  Later I realized that they were not "lost" or were not like a typical protestant, but heavy and rich in faith.  But it lacked fullness, completeness, and was not Orthodox.   As I witnessed more and more of their family life, things began to dawn on me heavily.    The moment of truth is when I watched an Anabaptist man, dunking pure beeswax candles just as I have seen monks do.  (Not exactly tapers buck thick ones).   Scraped the wooden frames of excess wax etc.  The difference was that when he was done, he went inside with his family.

I was kind of stumped and was like.... "Wow - this *is* Orthodox monastic life sort of".  But he wasn't a plainly dressed monk, or nun, he was a parent and family man.   His wife was dressed plainly and modestly to be modest and not incite competition with her "sisters" or be "of this world".    I was like... OK, so these are some of the exact reasons nuns and monks do this.  Then I see their 8 children... I guess they were like monklets and nunlets.  LOL

But it doesn't entirely make their theology right.  In church, the sermons were great & biblical, their singing a cappella...  But it was not entirely Eastern Orthodox.  Close in more aspects than many people think, but lacked the fullness.

To answer your question directly, I am not sure if a typical Anabaptist would handle Orthodoxy well.   Some of the ornateness would be a "turn off" for them.  I do believe that icons would be a no-go for them.  But the sacraments would probably fly, except for the baptism of infants.  They even cite St. Constantine as a "believers baptism".   I don't entirely agree with a believers ONLY baptism, but I don't condemn a believer's baptism either (of course neither does Orthodoxy through adult converts who believe and are baptized).

For me personally, I just basically do a modified reader's service at my home on Sunday.  Bible study etc.

We then study books/lessons from Orthodox writers & saints along with some Anabaptist stories.

It would be immensely difficult for us to make it to Oklahoma (non ecumenism church).  We have milk goats, baby goats, many chickens (some in incubator), several angora rabbits (wife & daughters spin fiber), and we are setting up several bee hives for wax, honey, propolis, & royal jelly.  Constant outdoor work.    Tonight when the hot sun goes down, I have to dig 4 fence posts 3 ft deep.

We'll see how things work out brother, God's will be done.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:56:51 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »

It's always possible.   Of course it would be an "Orthodox Christian living in an Anabaptist setting/family life".  A dream of mine would have the entire body of Anabaptists to come to Orthodoxy as that would be a tremendous impact on the Orthodox church parishoner's family life (in my opinion) in a fantastic way.  Of course, this reality is almost an absolute zero percent shot of happening, as I believe that would have happened way back during inception.

Of course to make the long story longer (hah) when I first met the Anabaptists my arms were pretty folded together.  Later I realized that they were not "lost" or were not like a typical protestant, but heavy and rich in faith.  But it lacked fullness, completeness, and was not Orthodox.   As I witnessed more and more of their family life, things began to dawn on me heavily.    The moment of truth is when I watched an Anabaptist man, dunking pure beeswax candles just as I have seen monks do.  (Not exactly tapers buck thick ones).   Scraped the wooden frames of excess wax etc.  The difference was that when he was done, he went inside with his family.

I was kind of stumped and was like.... "Wow - this *is* Orthodox monastic life sort of".  But he wasn't a plainly dressed monk, or nun, he was a parent and family man.   His wife was dressed plainly and modestly to be modest and not incite competition with her "sisters" or be "of this world".    I was like... OK, so these are some of the exact reasons nuns and monks do this.  Then I see their 8 children... I guess they were like monklets and nunlets.  LOL

But it doesn't entirely make their theology right.  In church, the sermons were great & biblical, their singing a cappella...  But it was not entirely Eastern Orthodox.  Close in more aspects than many people think, but lacked the fullness.

To answer your question directly, I am not sure if a typical Anabaptist would handle Orthodoxy well.   Some of the ornateness would be a "turn off" for them.  I do believe that icons would be a no-go for them.  But the sacraments would probably fly, except for the baptism of infants.  They even cite St. Constantine as a "believers baptism".   I don't entirely agree with a believers ONLY baptism, but I don't condemn a believer's baptism either (of course neither does Orthodoxy through adult converts who believe and are baptized).

For me personally, I just basically do a modified reader's service at my home on Sunday.  Bible study etc.

We then study books/lessons from Orthodox writers & saints along with some Anabaptist stories.

It would be immensely difficult for us to make it to Oklahoma (non ecumenism church).  We have milk goats, baby goats, many chickens (some in incubator), several angora rabbits (wife & daughters spin fiber), and we are setting up several bee hives for wax, honey, propolis, & royal jelly.  Constant outdoor work.    Tonight when the hot sun goes down, I have to dig 4 fence posts 3 ft deep.

We'll see how things work out brother, God's will be done.

You are an idealist and I respect that. Indeed, I admire very much your determination to live a Christian life. One of the things we are often faced with is to prioritize and make the best choices that we can. God bless.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »

Soft atheist; I don't believe in a god but I certainly can't that god does not exist, and I'm open to the possibility. Just not where I'm holding right now.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »

Interesting. I've never heard anyone say that with regard to Anabaptists before. I have heard the same basic idea expressed about Catholics (or maybe, on a rare occasion, about Anglicans).

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »

Bump

fleur-de-lys
Chestertonian

Faith: Christian

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »

Ex-Roman Catholic. The church I attend is Anglican (continuing) but I am not a member. I have a great affection for Orthodoxy but some problems with it as well. For that matter, I have some problems with Anglicanism, and I haven't finished sorting out which set of problems are more serious.

I still long for Rome, sometimes more, sometimes less. She is familiar and comforting. But I do not think I could go back. So right now, that is where I stand.

Between us, by the peace of God, such truth can now be told;

Yea, there is strength in striking root, and good in growing old.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »

Bump

Bump.

Huh?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »

Bump.

Huh?

...? I just wanted to bump the thread...  angel

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »

^ Bible bumpers.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »

Bump.

Huh?

...? I just wanted to bump the thread...  angel

I understood the "bump" part, but I was stuck trying to figure out of message of the bible picture.

Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »

I am Orthodox Christian.  No need to break it down further than that, but I am a member of a Greek (really Pan) Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:25:18 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »

Bump.

Huh?

...? I just wanted to bump the thread...  angel

I understood the "bump" part, but I was stuck trying to figure out of message of the bible picture.

I couldn't find a picture of the most important holy book, The Rudder  Grin

Actually I just wanted an image for the bump, and that's the first thing that came to mind.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:27:28 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »

I am Orthodox Christian.  No need to break it down further than that, but I am a member of a Greek (really Pan) Orthodox Church.

Wow, it took nearly forty replies before the correct one was struck for those of us who are Orthodox Christians. I self-identify as such, while I belong to a  parish of Carpatho-Russian/Rusyn origin affiliated with the ACROD which today is pretty much 'non-ethnic' in its self image. We still cook Slavic foods, but that's about it.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »

I couldn't find a picture of the most important holy book, The Rudder  Grin

Actually I just wanted an image for the bump, and that's the first thing that came to mind.

Well, alright.

BTW, instead of ...

Bump.

I guess I should have said "Rebump."

neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »

I picked Protestant because the last church I attended was Protestant, but in reality I haven't attended church in almost a year. I am a Christian whose personal beliefs fall somewhere in between Lutheranism and Orthodoxy.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »

I chose "other" though I might have chosen "Greek" as well since Finland belongs to EP. If I travelled to or lived in the midst of jurisdictional mess I'd probably chose some jurisdiction of Russian variety since it's the most familiar tradition to me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:23:50 PM by Alpo » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: