OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:14:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And this is why it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than  (Read 1209 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 15, 2012, 05:47:55 AM »

for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

A 125 million dollar+ Church is being built in Dallas:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:40:22 AM »

I've never been highly opinionated, one way or the other, on the whole building-a-nice-expensive-cathedral issue (and not for lack of exposure: a decade or so ago I knew a lot of people in Opus Dei). But $125,000,000? Holy hallucinations!

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »

looks fairly similar to this one....

this one is near my house, and home to the former president of the southern baptist convention.  the current presidents's church is also about 10 min from me...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »

I wonder how large the 125 million dollar+ Church is. It doesn't seem to have made the cut for this List of largest church buildings in the world.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »

I wonder how large the 125 million dollar+ Church is. It doesn't seem to have made the cut for this List of largest church buildings in the world.

I dont think it has been built yet.  When its built, then surely it will.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Mivac

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »

I've never been highly opinionated, one way or the other, on the whole building-a-nice-expensive-cathedral issue (and not for lack of exposure: a decade or so ago I knew a lot of people in Opus Dei). But $125,000,000? Holy hallucinations!

I'm wondering how long until it goes bankrupt and sold like the Crystal Cathedral?

I'm also wondering how many icons it would take to fill the place up?
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »

I'm wondering how long until it goes bankrupt and sold like the Crystal Cathedral?

I'm also wondering how many icons it would take to fill the place up?

Theyd probably have to spend another 125,000,000 to fill the place up with icons!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »

I dont think it has been built yet.  When its built, then surely it will.

OIC

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »

I bet the cost of building Hagia Sophia, adjusting for inflation and all that, would put this to shame.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »

I bet the cost of building Hagia Sophia, adjusting for inflation and all that, would put this to shame.

I thought about that.  I was also curious about Saint Sava...

— Chrysostom

BLOG
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

southern baptists worship mamon, it is well known
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »

Somewhat off topic, but I was watching a video on Sunday of a bunch of guys going to Joel Osteen's megachurch for the first time (and they were filming it), and the place was so huge they got lost in the parking garage  Grin

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »

I can't even imagine why people need so huge churches. Are they even able to fill them on sundays?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I'm wondering how long until it goes bankrupt and sold like the Crystal Cathedral ?

Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:44:53 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »

I can't even imagine why people need so huge churches. Are they even able to fill them on sundays?

the ones around here, yes.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »

But how many people are they serving on a regular basis?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Somewhat off topic, but I was watching a video on Sunday of a bunch of guys going to Joel Osteen's megachurch for the first time (and they were filming it), and the place was so huge they got lost in the parking garage  Grin

when your church has a parking garage, you know you've arrived.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »

Must be Evangelical since they're always having crappy concerts and gatherings.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »

Can't vouch for the accuracy personally, but according to a Nature article I found Justinian paid 145,000kg gold on it which would cost about $3 billion US today - which means you'd be right. Given my experience of modern buildings, though, I'd be highly surprised if this one lasts 1500 years

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »

Thats not a church, thats a concert hall.

Thank you.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »

Thats not a church, thats a concert hall.
And some Orthodox churches are museums.

(Sorry, just had to say that after reading the other thread about picking on Protestants  Wink.)
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »

Depends on how you define "serving," but enough to fill that building if we're talking FBC-Dallas.

Construction costs aside, I wonder how much it will cost to operate such a monster.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 01:57:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

We sure could use one, we are in an old LA neighborhood with narrow side-streets with no parking, and our lot has about 15 spaces for a congregation that averages 400 on any given Sunday, well over 1500 on big holidays.  We park for literally miles around all over the neighorhood, and have just recently bought a new building almost exclusively because of the parking issues Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »

Depends on how you define "serving," but enough to fill that building if we're talking FBC-Dallas.

Construction costs aside, I wonder how much it will cost to operate such a monster.

Well, if they can fill the building, I don't know why anyone thinks it's over the top.  Have they not seen some of the icons in Orthodox Churches where nearly the entire thing is covered in gold and silver?  And they want to complain that too much is spent on a building?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »

Yeah, I don't get the outrage. Many Orthodox churches are enormous and beautiful, and I think that's a good thing. The fact that this particular building appears to be enormous and ugly is another matter, but no one's commented on that so far; just on the cost. And I've long disliked the attitude that it's bad to spend money beautifying the Church because it could have been given to the poor or some such. I am reminded a bit of Matt 26:6-13.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »

Can't vouch for the accuracy personally, but according to a Nature article I found Justinian paid 145,000kg gold on it which would cost about $3 billion US today - which means you'd be right. Given my experience of modern buildings, though, I'd be highly surprised if this one lasts 1500 years

James

Yeah, but that was a public works project, like the great pyramids or the forbidden city. Not really comparable.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 07:40:19 PM »

James

Yeah, but that was a public works project, like the great pyramids or the forbidden city. Not really comparable.

How dare you besmirch Reaganomics.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »

James

Indeed, this one was paid for entirely by donated money, instead of that which was taken by force.

Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 12:18:44 AM »

We sure could use one, we are in an old LA neighborhood with narrow side-streets with no parking, and our lot has about 15 spaces for a congregation that averages 400 on any given Sunday, well over 1500 on big holidays.  We park for literally miles around all over the neighorhood, and have just recently bought a new building almost exclusively because of the parking issues Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I feel you.  I pray that I find a parking spot on my way to church on Sundays.  On Pascha our parish rents a parking structure near downtown LA and rents buses to ship us to and from the church.  It is a nightmare.   

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »

Indeed, this one was paid for entirely by donated money, instead of that which was taken by force.
I would place brainwashing as a greater evil than compulsory taxation.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 02:10:41 AM »

What I find fascinating is how ***MANY*** new mega-church structures are being built lately -more flavors than Baskin Robbins.

On some interstates you can pass a hundred mega-churches faster than it takes to recognize the two-step diarrhea.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:12:35 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 02:17:37 AM »

What I find fascinating is how ***MANY*** new mega-church structures are being built lately -more flavors than Baskin Robbins.

On some interstates you can pass a hundred mega-churches faster than it takes to recognize the two-step diarrhea.

The mega-church I attended for a while was actually only about a tenth of a mile from an equally mega-church.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:57 AM »

The mega-church I attended for a while was actually only about a tenth of a mile from an equally mega-church.
Wow.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: