OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:18:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When the Church Sold Indulgences (16th - 18th centuries)  (Read 2106 times) Average Rating: 0
Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: May 14, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »

Indulgences have long been associated with the Vatican and the Protestant Reformation. How many in the Church would realize that She also partook in the sale between the 16th and 18th centuries? In fact, it wasn't until 1838 that it was actually condemned. History notes that the sales of "Absolute Certificates" was due to "Latin propaganda".

Article Link
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I read that the selling of indulgences was condemned at the Council of Trent.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I read that the selling of indulgences was condemned at the Council of Trent.

You did.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »

Indulgences have long been associated with the Vatican and the Protestant Reformation. How many in the Church would realize that She also partook in the sale between the 16th and 18th centuries? In fact, it wasn't until 1838 that it was actually condemned. History notes that the sales of "Absolute Certificates" was due to "Latin propaganda".

Article Link

Maybe I missed something, but it doesn't seem that these were "sold." Also, the Roman medieval practice had to do with purgatory, IIRC.

Anyway, given the source, it just seems like more Russian propaganda along the lines of "The Greeks gave us the true faith, and then promptly forgot it."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »

Article Link

Maybe I missed something, but it doesn't seem that these were "sold." Also, the Roman medieval practice had to do with purgatory, IIRC.

Anyway, given the source, it just seems like more Russian propaganda along the lines of "The Greeks gave us the true faith, and then promptly forgot it."

Russians?  Propaganda???  Is OUTRAGE!  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Clemente

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »

Article Link

The amazing thing is that the Vatican still issues indulgences, the main impetus for the Protestant Reformation. These will evidently get you out of a place, purgatory, which Orthodoxy does not believe exists.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »

Article Link

The amazing thing is that the Vatican still issues indulgences, the main impetus for the Protestant Reformation. These will evidently get you out of a place, purgatory, which Orthodoxy does not believe exists.

They are granted, as spiritual aids, not "issued".  They are also not sold--to do so is and was the sin of simony, if I'm not mistaken.  They don't get you out of Purgatory, and Purgatory is not a place.

The other "amazing thing" is how much people misunderstand indulgences.  There are multiple threads on this board about them, and a wealth of information on numerous Catholic websites and in numerous books about them for anyone who would like to better educate themselves.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »

The other "amazing thing" is how much people misunderstand indulgences.  There are multiple threads on this board about them, and a wealth of information on numerous Catholic websites and in numerous books about them for anyone who would like to better educate themselves.

Perish the thought!!... Roll Eyes

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »

Why would we read Roman Catholic propaganda justifying what Luther has already taught us is a sin?

Article Link

They are granted, as spiritual aids, not "issued".  They are also not sold--to do so is and was the sin of simony, if I'm not mistaken.  They don't get you out of Purgatory, and Purgatory is not a place.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »

Why would we read Roman Catholic propaganda justifying what Luther has already taught us is a sin?

Because what Luther taught was that simony was a sin, NOT indulgences.

But yoo gnu that....right?

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »

We're not Luther's disciples. Not justifying or supporting the RC practice of selling indulgences, just saying Luther isn't a part of our Tradition.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »

We're not Luther's disciples. Not justifying or supporting the RC practice of selling indulgences, just saying Luther isn't a part of our Tradition.

You are not getting it.  If Luther says that Catholic teaching is sin...well!...then he must be right in any event....

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »

Article Link

I also got that vibe from the article.

Woe to us who lack the nabedrennik!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:02:51 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »

So you only listen to Lutheran propaganda?

Grin

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

Set hook. Reel them in.  You guys are easy.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »

Brat!!

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

Pinned for hope of actual discussion of OP.

I'm going to need this.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 09:38:10 PM »

Pinned for hope of actual discussion of OP.

I'd say that the OP is quite worthwhile to discuss if the article linked in it is reliable.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »

There are many points I find interesting, and they all revolve around the culture of the Orthodox church, which are consistently blamed on Latin influence and therefore apologetically excused for being ejected from Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:49:25 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »

There are many points I find interesting, and they all revolve around the culture of the Orthodox church, which are consistently blamed on Latin influence and therefore apologetically excused for being ejected from Orthodoxy.

Which would those be?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »

Hmmm.....Fishing/baiting/trolling?  Grin

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »

I imagine you're waiting for someone to ask "How so?"

I'm going to pass, but perhaps another poster(s) will oblige you.

Cool

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »

Cool

Your imagination is much too vivid.  Cool

The only thing I'm "waiting for" is lunch.  Grin

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:19 AM »

Cool

Well if you have your hook baited properly you prolly won't need to wait too long!!

Happy Trolling!!

Lucy

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »

Cool

Well if you have your hook baited properly you prolly won't need to wait too long!!

Happy Trolling!!

Lucy

LOL!!

Charlie Brown

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

Cool

Is it? I imagined that you follow "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Most people would take that as a compliment.)

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »

Cool

Happy Trolling!!

Lucy

LOL!!

Charlie Brown

What a magnificent obsession!! 

Do you think?

I think...as little as possible!!

Luvs

Lucy

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

Cool

Is it? I imagined that you follow "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Most people would take that as a compliment.)

That's funny--I didn't read that in your post.  I do attempt to live by that, failing miserably sometimes, but I never "imagined"  that that was what you were talking about.  So much for trying to "read", let alone understand, the imagination of others  Sad.

That which I *was* waiting for has arrived, so perhaps now I can wait for that which you imagined, incorrectly, that I was waiting for.  On second thought, I really have far better things to wait for than for "someone to ask 'How so?'".

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »

Set hook. Reel them in.  You guys are easy.

Hmmm.....Fishing/baiting/trolling?  Grin

Cool

Your imagination is much too vivid.  Cool

The only thing I'm "waiting for" is lunch.  Grin

Happy Trolling!!

Lucy

LOL!!

Charlie Brown

What a magnificent obsession!!  

Do you think?

I think...as little as possible!!

Luvs

Lucy

Do I think??  I try to avoid it at all costs--it's almost always painful and usually lands me in the pig pen (or worse!)  Grin.

Luvs bak atcha

C.B.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:29:08 PM by J Michael » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

Cool

That's funny--I didn't read that in your post.  I do attempt to live by that, failing miserably sometimes, but I never "imagined"  that that was what you were talking about.  So much for trying to "read", let alone understand, the imagination of others  Sad.

That which I *was* waiting for has arrived, so perhaps now I can wait for that which you imagined, incorrectly, that I was waiting for.  On second thought, I really have far better things to wait for than for "someone to ask 'How so?'".

I'm not sure if I've done something to offend you, or what exactly, but after reading your last post, I'm not very optimistic about where this is going. But in any case, I too will be off-line for a while.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »

The Patriarchate of Alexandria at least used to sell indulgences. When i was in school we translated one for fun with a mildly anti-clerical lecturer.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »

Cool

I'm not sure if I've done something to offend you, or what exactly, but after reading your last post, I'm not very optimistic about where this is going. But in any case, I too will be off-line for a while.

No, PeterJ, no offense taken at all.  Cheer up, this could go anywhere at all, or nowhere at all.  Probably best that it go nowhere at all.

It really is all too easy in a context such as this to misconstrue what others say, to read things into them that aren't there, to imagine something that ends up being just that--an imagination, and to take seriously something that was meant humorously.  That's why the admin has provided us with the emoticons, which some here (not necessarily you, at all) fail to use, thinking that their words on the screen should be enough for anybody--and sometimes they're more than enough for anybody  Wink Wink.

Also, taking things out of context and commenting on them, reading meaning that wasn't meant into them can get any of us into trouble with others.

So, having "thought" about this waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much, the pain in my brain is excruciating and we'll all be far better off if I just go back to my yummy salad now  angel angel.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »

The Patriarchate of Alexandria at least used to sell indulgences. When i was in school we translated one for fun with a mildly anti-clerical lecturer.

would you have a source to this?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

http://www.criticatac.ro/1168/originile-ortodoxe-ale-libertarianismului/gherasim/
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

http://www.criticatac.ro/1168/originile-ortodoxe-ale-libertarianismului/gherasim/

That's very blurry.  Any way to have it be more clear?  Or another source?  (this is for me personally, not as a moderator). 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

Well, I do not know in English, but most references I came across with were in Romanian.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

Brat!!

Guilty!  I can get a bit feisty when I am in a rare good mood  Wink

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »

i would search the forum for absolution certificates. we have had several threads on these.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »

I also remember that the Patriarch of Jerusalem was in some sort of a tour at the beginning of the 18th century through Wallachia and Moldova (perhaps Russia too?) selling absolution papers in order to raise funds for the patriarchate.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »

Brat!!

Guilty!  I can get a bit feisty when I am in a rare good mood  Wink

A bit weak, if you ask me -- but then, I'm not a bit fan of trolling in general, so ...

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »

i would search the forum for absolution certificates. we have had several threads on these.

the fact that you know this offhand is supremely scary. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »

the fact that you know this offhand is supremely scary. 

i know because i started one of them Smiley perhaps that is even more scary Wink
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

I'm not sure I want to take the time to read an old thread on the subject; but I am a bit curious what your opinion is on the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the article in the OP.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »

You did.
Those running the school I went to and who told us "give a dollar and buy your way into heaven" must have missed that.

So too all those donation requests with promises of heaven, mass intentions, etc. attached....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: indulgences  cash for gold  heresy augustin hinders Herman again! 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: