OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:47:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When the Church Sold Indulgences (16th - 18th centuries)  (Read 2499 times) Average Rating: 0
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »

Those running the school I went to and who told us "give a dollar and buy your way into heaven" must have missed that.
Ahh....another unprovable anecdote. I'd begun to think those were gone with Fr. Ambrose. Apparently not.

BTW...an Eastern Orthodox priest killed my uncle. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:39:29 PM by Wyatt » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »

Those running the school I went to and who told us "give a dollar and buy your way into heaven" must have missed that.
Ahh....another unprovable anecdote. I'd begun to think those were gone with Fr. Ambrose. Apparently not.

BTW...an Eastern Orthodox priest killed my uncle. Just sayin'.
Was your uncle trying to sell him an indulgence?

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_pro_20000129_indulgence_en.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I read that the selling of indulgences was condemned at the Council of Trent.

You did.

Guess so.  It happens.  Sad

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags: indulgences  cash for gold  heresy augustin hinders Herman again! 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: