OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:27:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutbacks/Unemployment/Etc.  (Read 443 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 13, 2012, 03:00:26 AM »

Kind of derailed from the Prayer thread I started, but orthonorm's post reminded me of the grim outlook on the job market. If you are young or old, it's alot more tougher these days to find employment, especially if the latter group is looking for more pay based on experience. The effects are more far reaching, for example the mortality rate increases, which includes suicides. It can also affect children's if a parent becomes unemployed, affecting their earning potential. And of course the psychological and physical issues that come along with being unemployed.

As of right now, I'm currently in alot of fear. I have been blacklisted at my work because I escalated an issue with one of the directors to my HR Generalist. Thankfully with so much of the turnover that has happened recently (12 people have quit in a month) it does help with job security, which should give me enough time to build a solid resume and hopefully land a few interviews.

The recent discussion over college has been discouraging, which I don't deny there are not good reasons to attend college, but it really does dispell the myth that college is this key to instant success. All of my high school class bought into the idea we had to go to college to make something of ourselves and be successful, looking back in hindsight maybe that was just to keep us from dropping out. I have been trying to cope that college may not be the answer I once thought.

I'd love to vent about my current job, but I know there are those much less fortunate to have a job so I'll refrain. These days do get longer though when you are unhappy in a work environment, and that kind of resentment does start to eat you up. I can only have a positive attitude for so long.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:13 AM »

Kind of derailed from the Prayer thread I started, but orthonorm's post reminded me of the grim outlook on the job market. If you are young or old, it's alot more tougher these days to find employment, especially if the latter group is looking for more pay based on experience. The effects are more far reaching, for example the mortality rate increases, which includes suicides. It can also affect children's if a parent becomes unemployed, affecting their earning potential. And of course the psychological and physical issues that come along with being unemployed.

As of right now, I'm currently in alot of fear. I have been blacklisted at my work because I escalated an issue with one of the directors to my HR Generalist. Thankfully with so much of the turnover that has happened recently (12 people have quit in a month) it does help with job security, which should give me enough time to build a solid resume and hopefully land a few interviews.

The recent discussion over college has been discouraging, which I don't deny there are not good reasons to attend college, but it really does dispell the myth that college is this key to instant success. All of my high school class bought into the idea we had to go to college to make something of ourselves and be successful, looking back in hindsight maybe that was just to keep us from dropping out. I have been trying to cope that college may not be the answer I once thought.

I'd love to vent about my current job, but I know there are those much less fortunate to have a job so I'll refrain. These days do get longer though when you are unhappy in a work environment, and that kind of resentment does start to eat you up. I can only have a positive attitude for so long.

Might I suggest getting a Linkedin profile? It is like a social website, but more professional in that your profile is also your resume. You can connect with people that you know and have worked with and get them to write you recommendations for jobs that you have had. Employers also browse the site and sometimes contact people that they would like to hire.

I'll be praying for you and the current job situation (I need a job when I get home).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »

I'm an academic and an elitist, and even I don't think that anyone has to go to college to make something of himself.  One of the things I liked about Brit. Prime Minister John Major, he proved that (he was a dropout, yet managed to eclipse Thatcher and still run the conservatives into the highest popular vote victory in Brit. history).

I remember arguing with my mother, who was trying to push my brother into college.  He didn't want to go, and wanted to be a mechanic.  She relented, and he did quite well for himself.

As dc said, network, network, network!

Lord have mercy on us all!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »

I'll have to get LinkedIn a shot. Have any one of you been to networking groups of a similar profession?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »

I'll have to get LinkedIn a shot. Have any one of you been to networking groups of a similar profession?

I use LinkedIn and that is about as far as my professional networking goes right now. I don't really get to go out much to do that kind of stuff...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Today our economy is God reminding us how the world is working.  In the readjustment period, we must re-evaluate our definition of success.  What is success? How are we contributing to our families emotionally or spiritually? Are we praying with and for them? Are we listening to them vent? Are we celebrating their accomplishments and efforts? Are we praising simply their existence in our lives? Also what about picking up all around the house, and where ever efforts and attention are needed? Babysitting? Chores? Housekeeping? Errands? Are we volunteering in our community at the hospital, school, food pantries, or prisons?  What community are we building? After all, exploitation occurs in the lack of community, is the destruction of community, and to build love, to build community.  This is the Golden Rule.  This is Matthew 25. This is even MORE important than financial contributions to the family, because even the breadwinners still must hold down and maintain the others.  However, if folks are out of work, they are given by God this surprising opportunity to use their talents elsewhere, aside from burying them in the earth.

Let us pray for us all in these matters, as Jesus said, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!"

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »

I'm an academic and an elitist, and even I don't think that anyone has to go to college to make something of himself.  One of the things I liked about Brit. Prime Minister John Major, he proved that (he was a dropout, yet managed to eclipse Thatcher and still run the conservatives into the highest popular vote victory in Brit. history).

I remember arguing with my mother, who was trying to push my brother into college.  He didn't want to go, and wanted to be a mechanic.  She relented, and he did quite well for himself.

As dc said, network, network, network!

Lord have mercy on us all!
Everybody hold your breath, and hope that the sun does not go black and the earth does not swallow us all but...... I agree with Isa here. Not everyone has to go to college in order to live a good life.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: