OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:25:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Withun "Pious Fabrications"  (Read 2579 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »

Anyone like his videos? I saw his video on the Euthyphro Dilemma and I thought it was good.

http://www.piousfabrications.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidpwithun

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »

The new round table series is promising, if David is willing to disagree with that Yusef fellow.  Wink

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
ReturnOrthodoxy

Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »

David Withun is very good. Pious Fabrications is a down to earth introduction to the Orthodox faith.

ReturnOrthodoxy

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »

Anyone like his videos? I saw his video on the Euthyphro Dilemma and I thought it was good.

http://www.piousfabrications.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidpwithun
His video on same-sex marriage was well done.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »

Some of the most obnoxious and impossible to sit through stuff I've seen in a while.

And I just went to a baseball game.

Uninteresting and uninformative.

Nothing but lose.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

Some of the most obnoxious and impossible to sit through stuff I've seen in a while.

And I just went to a baseball game.

Uninteresting and uninformative.

Nothing but lose.

What's this?  For the first time in a long while, we might actually see eye to eye.  I forced myself to sit through three of Mr. Withun's talks and came to the conclusion that only the most ardent could suffer through this drivel.  I'll see your uninteresting and uninformative and raise you a condescending and offensive.   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »

David Withun is very good. Pious Fabrications is a down to earth introduction to the Orthodox faith.

ReturnOrthodoxy
David is that you?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »

I found David Withun's channel early on, and I thought his early videos were really good. I've stopped watching them, since the channel seems to have devolved into ranting and faux-philosophizing. Oh, well.
ReturnOrthodoxy

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »

ReturnOrthodoxy
David is that you?

Lol. Not David. I just find him to be very informative. It is a down to earth explanation of the faith. He is very educated.

ReturnOrthodoxy

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »

He is very educated.

ReturnOrthodoxy

That certainly explains a few things.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
ReturnOrthodoxy

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »

He is very educated.

ReturnOrthodoxy

Clarify?

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »

He is very educated.

ReturnOrthodoxy

Clarify?

"Very educated" and "down to earth" are almost mutually exclusive.  However, I suppose there are exceptions like with everything.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »

Count me among the "not a fan" crowd. So many words... so little actually said.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »

Subscribed. Watched a video. Unsubscribed.

But then I'm a whiny liberal, so maybe that wasn't the best introduction to him Grin
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »

I'm subscribed to David, Yusef and Gambleor. While a lot of their stuff on Orthodoxy is beginner stuff that would be good for some converts, I mainly watch for the stuff that doesn't always relate to Orthodox theology such as philosophy or politics.

The main thing I don't like is when they quote or talk about Archbishop Lazar Puhalo, ugh...

Watching David's videos has inspired me to read more. However I'm more of a history person than philosophy so I'm not interested in reading Kant, Heidegger, Freud and others.

I've honestly learned quite a bit more about philosophy than I got in school and have found David's segments on atheism to be informative. I've also found Yusef's segments on Islam to also be informative.

Yeah they aren't theologians or "top-notch" philosophers and scholars by any means, but I still like to listen, there aren't many people IRL I can discuss these things with.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 12:48:24 AM »

This thread is the first time I've heard (of) the guy or his videos. I am watching one right now.

GET TO THE POINT AND STAY THERE. Sheesh. Thumbs down. And his constant "uh" pauses are distracting, so even if he had a point (which he does not seem to, but maybe it's in there somewhere) I probably wouldn't be able to focus on it.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »

This thread is the first time I've heard (of) the guy or his videos. I am watching one right now.

GET TO THE POINT AND STAY THERE. Sheesh. Thumbs down. And his constant "uh" pauses are distracting, so even if he had a point (which he does not seem to, but maybe it's in there somewhere) I probably wouldn't be able to focus on it.

He has nearly 400 videos, not all are boring. Of course I enjoy nonfiction books and watching lectures so my standards may be different.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »

Ηe liked several of my comments on the Hyperdox Herman facebook page. I was flattered.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »

Not everyone can flow like me. It is a skill not to use filler "words" at all when speaking to another person much less when trying to speak semi-extemporaneously to a camera.

Terrible delivery and content as I suggested above.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »

Not everyone can flow like me. It is a skill not to use filler "words" at all when speaking to another person much less when trying to speak semi-extemporaneously to a camera.

Terrible delivery and content as I suggested above.

I can understand delivery not being that good, but why the content? Is the content just not interesting to you?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:52:05 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »

But then I'm a whiny liberal, so maybe that wasn't the best introduction to him Grin

You know what pisses me off?  People with lisps who get angry about stupid things and yell about them and then make a video of it like other people give a rat's ass what you think.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:54:35 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »

You know what pisses me off?  People with lisps who get angry about stupid things and yell about them and then make a video of it like other people give a rat's ass what you think.

Who are you talking about?

If you think that was a serious video of him, you really need to watch more. He does not have a lisp, never yells and definitely doesn't have that weird accent.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:05:10 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »

That is a pretty hilarious video. People who take it seriously clearly don't have a sense of humor. lol
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »

For the most part, I like his videos. What I really dislike, though, is that he believes (or at least implies) that the OO are un-Orthodox on one hand, but has no problem using pictures of our Monks, Bishops, Priests, Icons, and Church architecture in his videos. I would at least like some consistency if he believes we are not fully Orthodox. That, on top of the fact that his actions could mislead people into believing that the Orthodox faith and Byzantine religion (AKA "EO") are the same when they aren't.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:17:10 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

For the most part, I like his videos. What I really dislike, though, is that he calls the OO un-Orthodox on one hand, but has no problem using pictures of our Monks, Bishops, Priests, Icons, and Church architecture in his videos. I would at least like some consistency if he believes we are not fully Orthodox. That, on top of the fact that his actions could mislead people into believing that the Orthodox faith and Byzantine religion are the same when they aren't.

David has specifically complained about the fact that people take something uniquely Byzantine and treat it as if it were "the Orthodox way to do it"...

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »

For the most part, I like his videos. What I really dislike, though, is that he calls the OO un-Orthodox on one hand, but has no problem using pictures of our Monks, Bishops, Priests, Icons, and Church architecture in his videos. I would at least like some consistency if he believes we are not fully Orthodox. That, on top of the fact that his actions could mislead people into believing that the Orthodox faith and Byzantine religion are the same when they aren't.

David has specifically complained about the fact that people take something uniquely Byzantine and treat it as if it were "the Orthodox way to do it"...
You misunderstood me. When I said "the Orthodox faith" I was referring to Oriental Orthodoxy, when I said "the Byzantine religion" I was referring to the Chalcedonian Churches.

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »

You misunderstood me. When I said "the Orthodox faith" I was referring to Oriental Orthodoxy, when I said "the Byzantine religion" I was referring to the Chalcedonian Churches.

You're right. I did misunderstand you. I thought you meant "the Orthodox Faith" in the sense of "Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy, these two being the same faith" (as some think; I don't know if you do) and the "Byzantine religion" in the sense of "the Byzantine Rite."

How could a person who calls himself Orthodox and says OOs are not Orthodox be in any serious danger of causing confusion between EOy and OOy?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »

I was referring to inquirers who are ignorant to both Churches and the differences between them.

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »

He's a friend of mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtBAsojCmeo (at the village)

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »

For the most part, I like his videos. What I really dislike, though, is that he believes (or at least implies) that the OO are un-Orthodox on one hand, but has no problem using pictures of our Monks, Bishops, Priests, Icons, and Church architecture in his videos. I would at least like some consistency if he believes we are not fully Orthodox. That, on top of the fact that his actions could mislead people into believing that the Orthodox faith and Byzantine religion (AKA "EO") are the same when they aren't.

Do you have a video where he said this?

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCBN005CP6g&feature=plcp

I could give other references too.

Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:54 PM »

I think this is the only video he's done that I liked watching.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »

That is a pretty hilarious video. People who take it seriously clearly don't have a sense of humor. lol

I don't see how anyone could have taken it (or him) seriously.   I do like how he talks about having a bumper sticker worth reading, yet his own bumper sticker says "**** happens". You're right, funny stuff. Not someone I particularly want to be subscribed to though. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:55:35 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »

I don't see how anyone could have taken it (or him) seriously.   I do like how he talks about having a bumper sticker worth reading, yet his own bumper sticker says "**** happens". You're right, funny stuff. Not someone I particularly want to be subscribed to though. Smiley

That, and maybe 1 or 2 others (out of about 400) are the only videos he's done that are very sarcastic & meant to be comical. The rest of his videos are pretty serious and intellectual.

However, I think as (maybe) I've mentioned, his videos may be a bit dry for many people out there. I like to listen to most of them, but I also like to listen to university lectures on what might be pretty boring subjects.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCBN005CP6g&feature=plcp

I could give other references too.

He said schismatic (same belief but separated), which is different from saying heterodox(different beliefs and separated),.......etc.

He also said that the differences between us were minute. As long as we are not in full communion with each other by way of the Eucharist then something has to be said as to why we are still two separate communions at the moment.

If you know of a better way to explain it then I'll show it to him.
 Explaining this isn't easy. I've been called a heretic by other hardline EO's for defending non-Chalcedonians, and so this sort of thing is never easy to do.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:21:49 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »

Been watching his videos before i converted, I liked his church history series, wish he would get back that.

Thank you.
Tags: David Withun  YouTube  blog  pious fabrications 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: