OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 05:55:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kindle or Nook? Help a brother out...  (Read 3043 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: May 11, 2012, 12:08:20 AM »

Ok y'all,

A dear friend and I were talking the other day about the Kindle Fire.  He said he loves his and that it was well worth the cost.  A couple friends at work have a Kindle and a Nook.  I never thought I'd even consider one of these gadgets, but they're really looking quite handy.  So, here's kinda what I was thinking; all I want it for is to read books.  It'd be cool to be able to highlight text.  Any y'all have any thoughts? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »

I have the regular Kindle and love it.  Dont have much experience with the nook, but im sure at the end of the day they both get the job done.  If all you want it for is to read, then maybe save some money and get a regular Kindle. (meaning not the fire. i hear the regular ones are better for just reading anyways.  but... the fire looks pretty cool, so maybe you should get that. sorry im not of much help, and sorry im still writing in parenthesis...)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:46:39 AM »

The Nook is not going to be as advanced as the kindle, and you definitely want instant access to Amazon.com's repository of cheaper E-books. Kindle all the way.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »

Careful with e-books, some of the formatting can be off and some of the versions they have are pretty bad.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:59:18 AM »

I don't have an actual Kindle, but, I downloaded the Kindke App to my iPhone and simply LOVE it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:05:28 AM »

Liza- you can get the Nook app for your iPhone, too. Smiley

I have a Nook (the original, Etch-A-Sketch like screen), and I love it. Not backlit, so it's easier on the eyes. But I mostly use the Kindle and Nook apps on my iPad these days.

Either is a good option. Happy e-reading!

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »

Really?  I didn't know that. Searching for it now. Thanks!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:26 AM »

Both are good, but Barnes & Noble is a less frightening company.  Then again, most of you probably use gmail, so that may not matter.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 04:54:14 AM »

I am looking at getting the color Nook.  It is $30 cheaper and seems to do everything that the Kindle Fire does.  I do like the fact that there is an actual store that you can go to if you have problems.  I read more nonfiction than fiction (I don't read very much fiction anymore), and I would be able to see pictures better in color than in black and white.  I haven't made my final decision yet, but I am definitely leaning towards the color Nook.

As far as the Nook not being as advanced, many reviewers disagree with that. 
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 07:37:26 AM »

Also, the Nook Tablet costs the same and it is more powerful and you can use a card in it as well.  If I could afford the extra $30, I would get it over the Kindle Fire. 
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »

I love my Nook!  For reading books, it is great. I had the original and now the simple touch.  Working with computers has given me eye strain, so the eInk technology is what I need. I can't use the Nook Color.  I like how I can change font size to help my tired eyes.  I love the word-lookup, you can touch a word and the definition will appear. Great for vocabulary building! You can bookmark pages and make notes. Also, you can create shelves and order your books however you want.  You can also checkout eBooks from the library and download them onto your Nook; the library will have instructions on how to accomplish this. The Nook Simple Touch is the right size for me, it is much lighter than the original Nook and it has a faster page turn.  My Mom's Nook is on my B&N account so she gets access to all of my books. You can put up to 4 or 5 devices on your account to share the eBooks within a family
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »

I have the Kindle Touch and I really like it, though I wasn't sure that I would. I just want to read books - I don't want to watch movies or anything else. I was really excited when I discovered you could borrow e-books from the public library!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »

Really?  I didn't know that. Searching for it now. Thanks!!!

No prob! It's nice to have access to both. Sometimes Amazon will have a book I want, and B&N won't, or vice versa. Apple also has an eReader (iBooks) with its own eBook store. I use all three. A trifecta of reading!  Cheesy

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »

Ok y'all,

A dear friend and I were talking the other day about the Kindle Fire.  He said he loves his and that it was well worth the cost.  A couple friends at work have a Kindle and a Nook.  I never thought I'd even consider one of these gadgets, but they're really looking quite handy.  So, here's kinda what I was thinking; all I want it for is to read books.  It'd be cool to be able to highlight text.  Any y'all have any thoughts? 
The basic Kindle should work for you then.

The only thing I might suggest is shelling out the extra money for the model that comes with the built-in keyboard rather than having to navigate the onscreen one with the arrow button.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

I prefer Barnes and Noble's e-books format to Amazon's, but Amazon tends to have better prices; I also use several other Amazon services, I use their EC2 and S3 services for cloud computing/storage, I get much of my television through the Amazon Video app on my Roku, and I buy various electronics and miscellaneous items through their website (though generally not books anymore, I buy e-books almost exclusively now). I know Amazon will still be around and I'll still be able to access my e-book purchases made today in ten years, I'm not so confident with B&N.

But regardless of which company you choose, I wouldn't recommend either the Kindle Fire or Nook Color. They're just cheap tablets with e-reader apps. If you just want to read books, the original e-print designs are much easier on your eyes and don't require regular recharging, not to mention that they're much cheaper.

If you're looking for the tablet option you're better off spending a little more on a Galaxy Tablet (or an iPad, if you're that kind of a person) and just downloading the Kindle and Nook apps. You can find a 7-inch galaxy tablet online for under $250 now, only $50 more than the Kindle fire and a much better, more powerful, and more versatile piece of hardware.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »

I have the Kindle Touch and I really like it, though I wasn't sure that I would. I just want to read books - I don't want to watch movies or anything else. I was really excited when I discovered you could borrow e-books from the public library!

I also just want to read books.  However, since I read mostly nonfiction, I am concerned about being able to see pictures well on the regular ones.  That is the main reason that I am thinking of buying the Nook Color, though I guess you can get apps and magazines on that one too.  You can also use a card in it for more memory.  Also, if I do have problems with it, I can take it into my local Barnes and Noble for help.  You can borrow books for both kindles and nooks at my library.  
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »

My wife has settled the question for me; for our anniversary, she bought the Nook with Glowlight.  Very cool.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:26:54 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »

That looks nice! I have a Nook Color. I used to have a Kindle, but I fell on it and broke the screen.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

I bought my Nook Color at the beginning of the month and just love it.  I subscribe to People on it and just found out today that you can get the print edition for free as long as you keep up the subscription to the Nook version (which is $9.95/month). 
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »

I went with the Kindle with the built in keyboard. One feature I like is the text to speech option. And Kindle has a whole lot of classical books for free.
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »

There are many free books for the Nook as well, plus you can download books for free on Fridays if you go to the Barnes and Nobles store.  I also like it that if I have a problem with my Nook, I can take it to the store and get support there. 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »

I love my Nook, but it does seem that Amazon has a lot better selection.  I wonder if there's a way to download it anyway? 

Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »

I love my Nook, but it does seem that Amazon has a lot better selection.  I wonder if there's a way to download it anyway? 

There are ways to download kindle books to your computer, then strip the drm and sideload them to another ereader... but depending on where you live it may be illegal. It's not straightforward, and you may lose your formatting. Just search for stripping kindle drm. I think it's a calibre add-on.

I know the question of which ereader is settled, but if other people are considering it:

-The Sony PRS-T1 is the best for reading PDFs. I have the previous model, the prs600. It is great for being able to easily load on service books, the ANF/PNF collections, old out of print books, text books, etc. It can also load books from virtually any online bookstore except for Amazon. Other readers can handle PDF, but none of them do it as well, reflowing it so it is readable without having to constantly zoom in and out of a page.

-Kindle gets you access to the amazon library, which is the best for current paid books.

-I would never buy a kindle fire, because it's a low resolution backlit screen, which means eye strain. I do have the kindle app on my iPod touch, which is still back-lit, but at least has a much higher pixel density. So between my ipod and my sony ereader, I'm covered for access to the amazon library, and great pdf handling.
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »

I have both Kindle and Nook for PC and love them both. 
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »

Other readers can handle PDF, but none of them do it as well, reflowing it so it is readable without having to constantly zoom in and out of a page.
I downloaded the Sony reader for the PC and although it can read a pdf file, I cannot get it to change the font size and reformat and reflow the text. A pdf paragraph is fixed and I don't see anyway to have the reader reformat it to make the words flow to fit the window.  With the kindle, for example, if you buy a kindle book from them, and the text is too small, you can change the font size, and the reader will automatically adjust the number of words to a line, so that it becomes reformatted and can be read in the display window.  Although the kindle reads pdf files, it reads them as a fixed file and no formatting is done, except that you can zoom in and move around, which doesn't really work that well.
I was told that the features on the Sony reader for the PC are similar to those on the hand held Sony ereader. However, the PC reader does not reflow and reformat the text in the pdf file that I have. The format remains fixed, with the same number of words per line, regardless of whether you try to zoom in or not. And BTW, the Sony font size feature, does not appear to work on the PC reader for the pdf file that I have.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:43:42 PM by stanley123 » Logged
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

I prefer Barnes and Noble's e-books format to Amazon's, but Amazon tends to have better prices; I also use several other Amazon services, I use their EC2 and S3 services for cloud computing/storage, I get much of my television through the Amazon Video app on my Roku, and I buy various electronics and miscellaneous items through their website (though generally not books anymore, I buy e-books almost exclusively now). I know Amazon will still be around and I'll still be able to access my e-book purchases made today in ten years, I'm not so confident with B&N.

But regardless of which company you choose, I wouldn't recommend either the Kindle Fire or Nook Color. They're just cheap tablets with e-reader apps. If you just want to read books, the original e-print designs are much easier on your eyes and don't require regular recharging, not to mention that they're much cheaper.

If you're looking for the tablet option you're better off spending a little more on a Galaxy Tablet (or an iPad, if you're that kind of a person) and just downloading the Kindle and Nook apps. You can find a 7-inch galaxy tablet online for under $250 now, only $50 more than the Kindle fire and a much better, more powerful, and more versatile piece of hardware.

Won't be able to get a Galaxy tablet now (Judge orders halt to Samsung sales of Galaxy tab

An initial win for Apple in its claim that South Korean company copied its iPad):  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47977129/ns/business-us_business/

I was thinking of getting one till I heard this news.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

Other readers can handle PDF, but none of them do it as well, reflowing it so it is readable without having to constantly zoom in and out of a page.
I downloaded the Sony reader for the PC and although it can read a pdf file, I cannot get it to change the font size and reformat and reflow the text. A pdf paragraph is fixed and I don't see anyway to have the reader reformat it to make the words flow to fit the window.  With the kindle, for example, if you buy a kindle book from them, and the text is too small, you can change the font size, and the reader will automatically adjust the number of words to a line, so that it becomes reformatted and can be read in the display window.  Although the kindle reads pdf files, it reads them as a fixed file and no formatting is done, except that you can zoom in and move around, which doesn't really work that well.
I was told that the features on the Sony reader for the PC are similar to those on the hand held Sony ereader. However, the PC reader does not reflow and reformat the text in the pdf file that I have. The format remains fixed, with the same number of words per line, regardless of whether you try to zoom in or not. And BTW, the Sony font size feature, does not appear to work on the PC reader for the pdf file that I have.

If a PDF file contains images of pages (scanned, no ocr), then nothing is going to be able to reformat it, since there are not characters there to rearrange, just an image. But if a PDF contains text, then the sony can reflow it. I can it small, medium, large, etc., for the text size in a PDF for the Nicene Fathers, or various Bible translations, and the text changes size and is reflowed to fit into "pages" at the same size. It can also view them as originally laid out without reflow and zoom in and out.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »

From another group I'm on, I was given a site where you can create your own ebooks, in either Nook or Kindle format.  The free program is called "Calibre".
Go to: http://calibre-ebook.com/

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »

From another group I'm on, I was given a site where you can create your own ebooks, in either Nook or Kindle format.  The free program is called "Calibre".

Oh yeah, that is pretty neat! I use it to download newspapers sometimes.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »

I own both. The Kindle is superior in every way to the Nook. Reading books on the Nook is fine, but browsing the web is terrible, lots of lock ups, etc.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »

I own both. The Kindle is superior in every way to the Nook. Reading books on the Nook is fine, but browsing the web is terrible, lots of lock ups, etc.

Reading books is all I wanted to do and, so far, I can't say enough good about the Nook. 

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:03 AM »

A buddy from work showed this me the other day.  Can't wait to try it out.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »

I started playing around with it and its real cool.  My project is to take the some reader services and convert them for use on my Nook.

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

I started playing around with it and its real cool.  My project is to take the some reader services and convert them for use on my Nook.

You may also want to look at sigil, a free epub editor. If you convert a document to epub with caliber, sigil may allow you to clean it up a bit to work better. I've actually found it easier though to skip calibre, and just make simplified versions of service books by copying and pasting into sigil to create a nice, clean epub, with hyperlinks to allow easy navigation to variable/seasonable parts, etc.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

Ok so maybe this is a dumb question, but what options do you have for transferring books that you buy for these things? Like if I buy a kindle, and then 2 years later buy a better one, can I transfer all my books to the new one? Or what if I buy a kindle and then 2 years later buy a nook, will only some (any?) of the texts be transferrable? Also, I see a lot of works in the public domain for free or a buck or two, but people complain of the formatting... how bad is the formatting really? Is it bad enough that you're gonna want to spend the extra money to buy each work individually for a few bucks more each?

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

All your Kindle books remain in your Amazon cloud, so you can redownload them whenever you need them.

The Nook, on the other hand, reads .epub files rather than .mobi, so they will need converting.

As formatting goes, e-readers are pretty basic. A lot depends on how heavily formatted the original file was; some elements can break badly in the conversion. As ebooks become more popular, though, and more and more titles come out in electronic formats at the same time as physical editions, that is likely to smooth out sooner than later.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »

You're welcome. :-) I love my Kindle (and flirting with the idea of getting myself a Fire as well, when I can afford it), so I'm always glad to help out others along that way.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »

Just surfing oc.net with my new kindle fire hdx. Kinda nice  Smiley

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »

The first two kindles broke easily and quickly... I have my kindle on an i pad now so that fixed the problem for $740.00 US.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »

Ok y'all,

I bought a KIndle Paperwhite just to read books. I am very happy with it, particularly with the ability to "buy" many titles for $0.00. I love the way I can adjust the brightness of the screen and the fonts (and their sizes).

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »

I got my Kindle in 2010, when it was freshly released (the waiting list was three weeks long). My husband, seeing how happy I was with it, got one for himself about six months later. His broke (and was promptly replaced by Amazon) while still on warranty, while mine, with a lot more use, is still going strong. Gump happens with technology.

I also got myself a Fire (non-HD) last autumn, and I'm just as happy with it. There are a few hiccups here and there, but reading on it is even more enjoyable than on the dedicated reader.

Also, BookBub is a great site to pick out bargains and freebies that you can get with a couple of clicks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:06:28 PM by Arachne » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »

Kindle! All the way!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 12:02:47 AM »

Can scrolling through pages on a tablet give you a headache? Anyone have any experience or knowledges on this? I seem to be getting quite a few more headaches since I started using the Kindle for the bulk of my online reading/surfing. Though I suppose it could be something other than scrolling, such as the screen being closer to my face...  Huh
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:03:51 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:53 AM »

Could it be a screen contrast issue? I switched my reading app to sepia from the default white, and that has made all the difference, but I'm not sure if you can do anything to adjust the online stuff. It does seem brighter to me on the Kindle than on the laptop, though, as you say, it may all be a matter of distance from the monitor.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: