Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1753737 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7515 on: October 31, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
Sources: Bengals QB A.J. McCarron nearly traded to Browns

The Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns failed to work out a trade that would have sent quarterback AJ McCarron to Cleveland, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

According to Schefter, the Bengals notified the league of the proposed trade at 3:55 p.m. ET, and the Browns notified the league shortly after 4 p.m. ET. Because the Browns were late, the league denied the trade. Cleveland protested with the league asking that the trade be approved. The NFL rejected the Browns protest...

Do you even sports administrate bro?

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7516 on: November 01, 2017, 10:25:21 PM »
If they were going to call up Kershaw anyway,  why not just mane him starting pitcher and porch 60 or whatever pitches? 

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7517 on: November 01, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »
If they were going to call up Kershaw anyway,  why not just mane him starting pitcher and porch 60 or whatever pitches?

Non idiot version:

If Kershaw was going to pitch,  why not just have him start?  Have him pitch his 60 pitches and switch out after that?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7518 on: November 04, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
If instant replay is going to be a thing in football, why don't they put cameras right on the goal line rather than 10 yards past the line so that the replays are showing the play at an angle rather than straight on?

Also, watching the Penn St./Michigan St. game, which started at 12pm, and now at 6:20pm the fourth quarter just started  :laugh:

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7519 on: November 05, 2017, 12:49:08 AM »
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/4/16607734/army-offense-wins-without-throwing-a-pass

No passes thrown by army in the army airforce game.  Kind of nutty.  I like watching those service academies because of those option formations, but 0 passes is kind of crazy even for an option run team
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:51:11 AM by William T »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7520 on: November 05, 2017, 12:58:40 AM »
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/4/16607734/army-offense-wins-without-throwing-a-pass

No passes thrown by army in the army airforce game.  Kind of nutty.  I like watching those service academies because of those option formations, but 0 passes is kind of crazy even for an option run team

IMO it's wise to focus on the boots on the ground in a case like this, in which the air force will have a distinct tactical advantage in the skies.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7521 on: November 05, 2017, 01:01:24 AM »

IMO it's wise to focus on the boots on the ground in a case like this, in which the air force will have a distinct tactical advantage in the skies.

my mind is blown

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7522 on: November 23, 2017, 11:14:25 PM »
That Gordon Hayward injury though... you could actually hear his leg snap  :(

The Nick Fitzgerald injury may have been worse.  :-\

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #7523 on: November 24, 2017, 05:10:36 AM »
That Gordon Hayward injury though... you could actually hear his leg snap  :(

The Nick Fitzgerald injury may have been worse.  :-\

That was really sad. And boy did Ole Miss disgrace themselves last night. You would think that a program reeling from so much scandal would try to focus on demonstrating character and class. But nope. I mean, when your players and fans make Auburn look classy in comparison, then you're really hitting the bottom of the barrel. I had no dog in the Egg Bowl hunt, but Miss State sure looked like the true winners in my book.

Now let's get ready for the Iron Bowl Sat night! I confess that I'm really nervous about this one.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:10:54 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

• Merarches
« Reply #7524 on: November 27, 2017, 07:36:22 AM »
Well, that was a rough one. Congrats to Auburn. My Crimson Tide played poorly and Auburn played great. I wasn't shocked that we lost. With our many significant injuries I knew that Auburn had a good chance of beating us. I was, however, shocked by our uncharacteristic penalties and mistakes. That's something you rarely see from a Nick Saban coached team. So again, congrats to Auburn on a well deserved win. But I'm still just as proud as ever to be a BAMA fan today.

ROLL TIDE!

Selam
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:38:20 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Mike
« Reply #7525 on: November 27, 2017, 11:48:12 PM »
I think college football is the only football that I can even tolerate other people watching.
I have no mercy for the professional football fans. Why should I?
Because let's face it, America: America's pastime is baseball, and professional football is Hallmark sports.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:02:14 AM by mcarmichael »
"A fool's work wearies him." - King Solomon
"If God if for us, who can be against us?" - St. Paul the Apostle
"Just hang on!" - Luke Skywalker

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7526 on: December 05, 2017, 12:45:46 AM »
Ryan Shazier tonight...  :( Not sure if spinal compression from that sort of trauma can cause permanent lower body paralysis, but that didn't look good...

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7527 on: December 05, 2017, 01:04:01 AM »
What this doctor says seems to indicate it's a possibility; like he says, hopefully it turns out to not be as bad after all...

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7528 on: December 07, 2017, 02:51:08 PM »
I don't know how I feel about this year in college football.

Toledo finally won the Mac and they're 11-2, but that's something of a small disappointment.   They got crushed by Ohio, they aren't ranked,  and they had a decent shot at a new years bowl.

The big ten got snubbed out of the playoffs for two flipping SEC teams,  and frankly Alabama had a soft schedule.

Notre Dame  collapsed at the end of the season losing to maybe one of the few schools I hate more than the SEC schools, Miami... who also beat Toledo.

The Big Ten bowl schedule looks competitive and it would be very difficult to call any of those games other than Northwestern should beat Kentucky and Iowa should beat BC.  This is the first time in a long time the big ten has had even-ish matchups.... Probably because they failed to make the playoffs.

The MAC has a fairly favorable schedule for once this year,  they should end up with a winning record.   Toledo plays Appalachia State,  should be a good game... if Toledo wins they should be ranked.   It'll also be the last chance Logan Woodside and Terry Swanson play,  both especially Woodside have potential in the NFL.

Notre Dame plays LSU,  I think Notre Dame should win,  but that's probably a fair matchup.   It kind of stinks being a Midwestern school in bowl,  almost all the bowl games are played a level up and in the enemies own backyard. Oh well.  I still say send the darn southerners and beach bums to play at least one major bowl game in Chicago or Detroit... see how they like it.

If I can muster to watch anything this disappointing bowl season other than maybe a Toledo bowl,  it probably  won't be the playoffs.   I can't stand Georgia or Alabama, and Clemson means nothing to me.   if I'm picking a team to root for it'll be Oklahoma. 

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:02:20 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7529 on: December 20, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
Straight up bowl picks for Big 10 (no spread):

Iowa vs B.C:  Iowa

Purdue vs Arizona:  Arizona

MSU vs Wazzu:  Wazzu

Northwestern vs Kentucky: Northwestern

OSU vs USC: USC

Penn State vs Washington: PSU

Wisconsin vs Miami: Miami

Michigan vs south Carolina: Michigan

As for the MAC games: I think Northern Illinois will lose to Duke, Ohio will beat UAB, CMU will win, Akron got smoked already freaking Lane Kiffens Florida team.   No comment on Toledo vs Appalachia State.  No comment on Notre Dame.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:11:17 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7530 on: December 20, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »
Also,  is anybody paying attention to recruiting?  The Big Ten East looks like it is going to be loaded with talent.   OSU and Penn State so far have top 5 classes; MSU Wishigan, and Maryland(!) are all in the top 25.  Former Western Michigan coach PJ Fleck seems about to give Minnesota a historic and possible 25 squad for the Big Ten West.   Wisconsin as well has the potential to hit the top 25.  The next couple years may be a heckuva a couple years for the Big Ten.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:55:09 PM by William T »

• Merarches
« Reply #7531 on: January 09, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Rambam

• High Elder
  • Sink me, I can hardly bring myself to look upon it
« Reply #7532 on: January 09, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7533 on: January 11, 2018, 09:19:28 PM »
1. Alabama didnt even deserve to be in the CFB, but congratulations are still in order.

2. Finally a bills playoff game, too bad the coaching is terrible.

3. Can it be baseball season yet? I love hocey, but Sabres have been terrible lately.

4. T20 cricket has proved to be a fantastic sport.

5. NFL needs to go away. the disregard for CTE is disgusting.

6. Hopefully l'OM can decide to play even better, and finish the season in a champions league spot

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7534 on: January 15, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
They traded McCutchen. Not that it's a surprise, but... whatever. Whatever man. Whatever. Fine. Fine. Whatever.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #7535 on: January 15, 2018, 08:08:47 PM »
That Vikings game was amazing.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7536 on: January 25, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
People talking like, "last XFL didn't make it, but this will be different! Vince McMahon is a genius!"

What? Just about everything McMahon has done outside of wrasslin has been a disaster. Besides the horrible XFL experiment: he had a big failed thing about some restaurant in Times Square (which they used to broadcast segments from weekly trying to drum up business), had a failed bodybuilding federation, had a failed supplement business, their attempt at some kind of movie production company/studio has been horrible and most of their movies are god awful, most of their video games for a decade or more have been considered crap or mediocre at best (that's developed/published by others, but WWE obviously hasn't taken any steps to force improvements), and his wife Linda McMahon spent ungodly amounts of money to lose two Senate races (though Trump threw her a bone).

Even with wrestling he's at best a good promoter and horrible creative mind. Most of his 80s stars had been built in the local territories long before he got his hands on them (Hogan, Andre, Savage, etc.)  He continually saddles wrestlers with stupid gimmicks, and it's only after the wrestlers break out of their gimmicks and are allowed to do something different that they get huge--both Stone Cold and The Rock were given absolutely lame gimmicks, and it's only because they were themselves at times and got over on their charisma that anything ever happened with them. McMahon had what should have been one of the biggest and most lucrative wrestling angles in history (the invasion) fall into his lap for the price of a pizza and 2 liter of Mt. Dew, and he absolutely blew it because his ego couldn't allow him to actually make even mildly-competent business decisions when it came to his former competitor.

tl;dr - Vince McMahon is a completely incompetent businessman, and if the XFL succeeds at all it'll be because McMahon contributes money and little else, and other more talented people are allowed to do their thing

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:41:22 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7537 on: February 04, 2018, 11:35:50 PM »
Eagles 41 - Patriots 33.

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #7538 on: February 04, 2018, 11:52:04 PM »
^Not bad for underdogs. 8)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7539 on: February 05, 2018, 12:21:02 AM »
Is this the real life?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7540 on: February 05, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »
Not exactly a sports fan but I actually watched it this time. I take back most of the bad things I said about football. That was lovely.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7541 on: February 12, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are beyond awesome in the Winter Olympics. They're generally beyond awesome, but I've never been this happy to see someone come out of retirement.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7542 on: April 05, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
Conor McGregor Investigated for Attacking Fighters at UFC 223 Press Conference

"They stormed the building," he said. "Got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and started to attack the buses, throwing trash cans and dollies and things like that. Broke one of the windows and cut Michael Chiesa really bad."

Offline BrotherInChrist

• Faith: Inquiring Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR Western Rite
« Reply #7543 on: May 03, 2018, 12:54:15 AM »
I'm not on board with the LeBron James-Michael Jordan comparisons, but I will say that LeBron is definitely among the best in NBA history.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #7545 on: May 11, 2018, 12:09:30 AM »
I wonder if the Celtics will be able to stop the Cavaliers.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #7546 on: May 16, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »
I'm a bit shocked that Celtics are up 2-0.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7547 on: June 07, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »
Caps won the Stanley Cup.

• Merarches
« Reply #7548 on: June 07, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »
LeBron is supposedly the greatest player that ever lived, and yet people have completely given up on the Cavs winning this series. I never gave up on Jordan. Never. I always believed he would find a way to win, and he did. The LeBronists have no faith in him, yet they keep telling us he's better than MJ. smh.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #7549 on: June 07, 2018, 11:30:43 PM »
Two or three years ago the Warriors were up 3-0 and lost.

• Merarches
« Reply #7550 on: June 07, 2018, 11:39:14 PM »

Correct. The LeBronists have no faith in their own god.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #7551 on: June 08, 2018, 12:08:47 AM »
boo.  :P
But Ovechkin finally got one, so good for him  ;)
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7552 on: June 08, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »

Correct. The LeBronists have no faith in their own god.

Selam
The Cavs won game 3 in 2016, the Dubs won game 4 making it 3:1.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7553 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
Russia has been working to make this Caps cup happen for years! There's even video evidence.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7554 on: June 17, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #7555 on: June 17, 2018, 10:29:26 PM »
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:44:05 PM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7556 on: July 08, 2018, 04:28:46 PM »
boo.  :P
But Ovechkin finally got one, so good for him  ;)
Congratulations to Alexander the Gr8! I'm not a Caps fan, but even I got sick of him carrying an 800-pound gorilla on his back for his entire career. Finally, his legendary contributions to hockey can be recognized, because he was able to put his name (and those of his teammates) on Lord Stanley's Mug.

Many years!

• Merarches
« Reply #7557 on: July 08, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »
Worse flopper: LeBron or Neymar?

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #7558 on: July 10, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »
LeBron is supposedly the greatest player that ever lived, and yet people have completely given up on the Cavs winning this series. I never gave up on Jordan. Never. I always believed he would find a way to win, and he did. The LeBronists have no faith in him, yet they keep telling us he's better than MJ. smh.

Selam

Yeah, I don't quite get that.