OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:15:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Menswear Thread  (Read 3993 times) Average Rating: 0
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »

but what is a sport coat? is it what we call a blazer in the uk?

Thank you for this. Maybe I stil have some hope as a native English speaker didn't understand that. My first idea was something like:

That is SO rad!  PoM!!!

OrthoNoob
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »

I was being facetious. Anyway, I do like blazers as suits look ridiculous on young people and in everyday use

I'm still wondering though what blazers have to do with sports. I understand that they have historically been associated with sports but that does sound a bit weird nowadays as suit is not the norm anymore.

Sport coats are not blazers. For example, there is no such thing as a double-breasted sport coat.

That being said, the name is a bit archaic perhaps, but they originated as garments worn for hunting and riding.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »

Just to add--I was just joking above. I hope that was understood. Grin The pic did hurt my eyes though...
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »

opus118,
sorry, i am not young, my memory is not good!
 Wink
but you write like a young person, it's very refreshing.
it that actually you in the photo from when you were young in 1920?

alpo, those jackets were the big fashion mistake in 1980s and 1990s.
 Shocked
when worn with matching trousers (never, ever do this!), they are called shell suits and were most popular in liverpool in 1990s. i know, i was there (i didn't have one!)
they symbolised lack of style and hygiene (you wear it all week without washing it)!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »

when worn with matching trousers (never, ever do this!), they are called shell suits and were most popular in liverpool in 1990s.

Can't blame any immigrant not wanting to assimilate into mainstream society. Actually this makes me wonder why did anyone move to the Western countries in the 80s. A single glance on a suit like that would convince me of corruption of Western civilization.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »

There are stories that someone used to wear parachute pants to the office in the '90's.  He also had a mullet.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »

when worn with matching trousers (never, ever do this!), they are called shell suits and were most popular in liverpool in 1990s.

Can't blame any immigrant not wanting to assimilate into mainstream society. Actually this makes me wonder why did anyone move to the Western countries in the 80s. A single glance on a suit like that would convince me of corruption of Western civilization.

[chav accent] Be'ar than yur normul Bri'ish clothes, ya mate [/chav accent]

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:12:04 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »

Dear all. I have a problem. What kind of shoes and shirt to wear with a kilt? What about jacket?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »

Only appropriate way to wear a kilt.

or

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:54:23 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #234 on: May 19, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »

[chav accent] Be'ar than yur normul Bri'ish clothes, ya mate [/chav accent]

Are those chavs?  They look more like gopniks.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

They look more like gopniks.

They are. I couldn't find a good picture of a chav.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #236 on: May 19, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

Some traditional menswear from Brazil...

The Gaúcho (gah-OO-shoh) from the South

The Northeastern

The Carioca (people born in Rio)

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #237 on: May 19, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »

Nice bowtie.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #238 on: May 19, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »

I like the white suit and the hat. A nice colonial touch. police
Valekhai

Faith: atheist

« Reply #239 on: May 19, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »

Dear all. I have a problem. What kind of shoes and shirt to wear with a kilt? What about jacket?
Depends on the reason you're wearing it and who you ask. If you wear them as casual wear like I do, wear them with whatever you want. I always wear mine with boots of some kind since I think my normal shoes don't quite "go" with them. As far as shirts go, I usually wear button-downs, but t-shirts and sweaters work. Hoodies make me look like a school girl, so I stay away from those while kilted.

If you're asking about more formal wear, it really depends on the occasion and how much you're willing to spend. The two most common jacket styles are Argyle and Prince Charlie. Argyle is more versatile and less expensive. It can be used in situations wear you'd normally wear a suit, but you can also get away with more formal tuxedo style events if it's nice enough and you accessorize properly. A Prince Charlie is considered really formal, so there are fewer occasions where it would be considered appropriate (you wouldn't want to wear one to a wedding as a guest, for instance). There are a few other styles, but those two are the most common.
If you don't want to go the traditional route and want to wear a more typical suit jacket, be warned: the hem of the jacket shouldn't be longer than the sleeves. Pretty much anything you're likely to have in your closet already would be too long and look tacky. Ultimately, though, it's not likely you're going to run into many people who know what's what when it comes to Highland dress, so you're probably not going to get called out if you don't follow the "rules."

And then there are all the accessories to consider...
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #240 on: May 22, 2014, 01:08:58 AM »

Suits with uncollared shirts are an abomination unto the menswear gods, yea, they are hateful unto them and will be spued out of their mouths.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »

How much break do you gents think black-tie trousers should have?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2014, 04:30:07 AM »

Suits with uncollared shirts are an abomination unto the menswear gods, yea, they are hateful unto them and will be spued out of their mouths.

Amen. I didn't even know that people did that.

How much break do you gents think black-tie trousers should have?

When I wear black-tie I usually go half break.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:30:34 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »

Well, there are versions of the above with collars:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:27:50 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »

The key here is if you dress like a Carioca, you will become a good dancer.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2014, 02:49:36 AM »

The tan suit. Discuss.

I think it was a serious moral offence that needs to be apologized We will not defeat ISIS until we stop wearing suits like that.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2014, 04:25:19 AM »

The tan suit. Discuss.

I think it was a serious moral offence that needs to be apologized We will not defeat ISIS until we stop wearing suits like that.

You mean something like this?

What's wrong with it? It's not my favourite colour either but it isn't that bad either.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:47:59 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2014, 06:26:04 AM »

It was a reference for Obama wearing one while having an anti-ISIS press conference. It was weird to see a president wearing a suit like that while almost declaring a war.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:32:20 AM by Alpo » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »

It was a reference for Obama wearing one while having an anti-ISIS press conference. It was weird to see a president wearing a suit like while almost declaring a war.

It didn't look too bad on him. It just isn't the proper thing to wear on formal occasions. But then again, often he doesn't bother to wear a tie to formal events either.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:32:26 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:58 AM »

It didn't look too bad on him. It just isn't the proper thing to wear on formal occasions.

Hence the funny. But then again I might have a fairly obscure sense of humour.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:41:28 AM by Alpo » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »

It was a reference for Obama wearing one while having an anti-ISIS press conference. It was weird to see a president wearing a suit like that while almost declaring a war.

Apparently what Obama did was not without precedents.

OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #251 on: August 30, 2014, 02:55:29 AM »

It was a reference for Obama wearing one while having an anti-ISIS press conference. It was weird to see a president wearing a suit like while almost declaring a war.

It didn't look too bad on him. It just isn't the proper thing to wear on formal occasions. But then again, often he doesn't bother to wear a tie to formal events either.

It didn't fit him and it was a particularly ugly shade of tan.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #252 on: August 30, 2014, 04:04:44 AM »

It didn't fit him and it was a particularly ugly shade of tan.

It was certainly too big for him.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »

Seeing as how it is August (and therefore before Labor Day) a taupe suit is perfectly appropriate for any informal event (i.e., not requiring black or white tie) other than a funeral.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #254 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »

Seeing as how it is August (and therefore before Labor Day) a taupe suit is perfectly appropriate for any informal event (i.e., not requiring black or white tie) other than a funeral.

We've already come to that conclusion. The point of contention is whether that press conference was an informal event.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »

We've already come to that conclusion. The point of contention is whether that press conference was an informal event.

Press conferences are always formal events. Not sure if it hits black tie level, though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:03:29 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »

Not sure if it hits black tie level, though.

Probably not. A black, gray or navy blue suit and a tie do seem to be the rule.

Georgii

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

Of famous and worldly-powerful men, the best dresser was IMO Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

He was always tricked out just right for the occasion, at least in front of the cameras:

I once saw an even snazzier photo of him in white tie, but can't seem to find it now.

Edit: Found it. He is used as the model for white tie on Wikipedia, no less:

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Keble
Archon

« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »

Press conferences are always formal events. Not sure if it hits black tie level, though.

Incorrect. Press conferences are INformal events; what they aren't are casual events. Technically speaking, formal means "white tie", although these days black tie slips in too.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2014, 05:03:45 PM »

Incorrect. Press conferences are INformal events; what they aren't are casual events. Technically speaking, formal means "white tie", although these days black tie slips in too.

I don't have PR qualifications, just google-fu. I found plenty of sources classifying such events as formal, none as informal. If you can point us to something definitive, please do.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Keble
Archon

« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »

"Formal" means formal social occasion, e.g. getting married. A press conference is just business and therefore uses informal dress, i.e. a business suit. A light-colored suit would be unusual in the winter but perfectly ordinary in the summer; the color is somewhat unfashionable now (although surely it's what the best-dressed socialists will be wearing to work soon) but there's nothing wrong with it.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2014, 11:08:52 PM »

If I am there, it is formal. It doesn't matter what you wear. You just have to deal with it.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #262 on: Yesterday at 04:21:10 AM »

Everybody's probably seen pictures about the incident but I guess it's fair to post a picture since we're talking about it.

No. Just no.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:22:01 AM by Alpo » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #263 on: Yesterday at 05:50:04 AM »

I don't have PR qualifications, just google-fu. I found plenty of sources classifying such events as formal, none as informal. If you can point us to something definitive, please do.

Well, when there's "formal" next to "dress code" on the invitation you (well, not you) are supposed to wear white tie. In Murrica they never liked white tie to begin with so they often wear black tie to formal events instead, which would be a huge faux-pas in Blighty.

That being said, in common parlence a press conference would be called a formal event. But that doesn't mean that it's a formal dress code event.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:52:12 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #264 on: Yesterday at 06:57:57 AM »

Well, when there's "formal" next to "dress code" on the invitation you (well, not you) are supposed to wear white tie. In Murrica they never liked white tie to begin with so they often wear black tie to formal events instead, which would be a huge faux-pas in Blighty.

That being said, in common parlence a press conference would be called a formal event. But that doesn't mean that it's a formal dress code event.

In one of the sources I found, someone was asking what was appropriate attire for sitting in at a press conference. The answer they were given (by a PR rep) was that jacket and tie were mandatory anyway; participants would have to wear a suit, while observers could get away with separates.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

And primitivist Platonist patrologist poseur

« Reply #265 on: Yesterday at 08:46:39 PM »

Question for everybody:  What's your favorite source for ties?

I'm going back to wearing them, and it's been more than a decade since I've done much of that kind of shopping. I've noticed American taste in ties has improved, so I'm hoping for a fairly common American source (also I don't have money any more, to order from Italy).

Has anybody tried making ties? Know someone who has done it?

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: