Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 844303 times)

Online scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7245 on: February 08, 2016, 12:42:53 AM »
I'm not really a big NFL fan, but it was nice to see a great defensive game, and I'm glad Manning won two super bowls.

Biggest highlight:

Queen Bey.  Unfortunately she shared the stage with Bruno Mars and that other guy (?). I think she had less airtime than both of them.  Great dancing though.

also:

I surprisingly liked Lady Gaga's National Anthem.

Defense wins championships. 

I'm tired of people like Lady Gaga or even Bleeding Gums Murphy using the National Anthem as a way to showcase their chops. Just sing it as written and quit trying to make yourself the spotlight. One of teh many reasons I prefer a band to play it.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Here's where the story ends
    • St. George Church
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7246 on: February 08, 2016, 12:48:58 AM »
My Dad liked Lady Gaga too.
petfinder.com

Black hole sun, won't you come and wash away the rain

Offline William T

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7247 on: February 08, 2016, 12:58:02 AM »
I'm not really a big NFL fan, but it was nice to see a great defensive game, and I'm glad Manning won two super bowls.

Biggest highlight:

Queen Bey.  Unfortunately she shared the stage with Bruno Mars and that other guy (?). I think she had less airtime than both of them.  Great dancing though.

also:

I surprisingly liked Lady Gaga's National Anthem.

Defense wins championships. 

I'm tired of people like Lady Gaga or even Bleeding Gums Murphy using the National Anthem as a way to showcase their chops. Just sing it as written and quit trying to make yourself the spotlight. One of teh many reasons I prefer a band to play it.

I thought she sang it pretty clean, that may be the best I've ever heard her sing (not that I'm an astute listener of Lady Gaga).  Also, bands can drag out a song just as needlessly as the voice...it's merely using a different instrument.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:59:07 AM by William T »
"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy"

H.L. Mencken

Offline William T

• High Elder
« Reply #7248 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:22 AM »
Poor Scam didn't want to get hurt diving on the ground to recover his own fumble. It's not like it's the Super Bowl or anything. What a joke. But keep dabbin' Scam. It's all about YOU baby!

Selam

While it was great to see Ted Ginn have a nice game, Cam Newton was the most effective offensive player in the game.  I think at the end he was rattled, but he was the best offensive player on the field.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:24:26 AM by William T »

H.L. Mencken

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7249 on: February 08, 2016, 01:37:59 AM »
Poor Scam didn't want to get hurt diving on the ground to recover his own fumble. It's not like it's the Super Bowl or anything. What a joke. But keep dabbin' Scam. It's all about YOU baby!
Your hypocrisy is showing. ;)

A few years ago, when the Americans blew a huge lead and lost the Ryder Cup to the Europeans, you berated us for focusing on how the Americans choked and not giving the European team credit for an historic comeback. Now look at what you're doing. The Denver Broncos just won the Super Bowl, but you're not giving any credit at all to Peyton Manning, Von Miller, John Elway, et al., for what they did to upset the mighty Panthers in the biggest game of the season. Instead, you're taking advantage of this opportunity to continue to disparage an athlete who had the misfortune of graduating from your team's arch-rival Auburn.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:57:48 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7250 on: February 08, 2016, 01:43:29 AM »
I'm glad Peyton got his second ring, but I'm pretty sure John Elway could have come out of retirement and played a more effective game.
Sometimes, though, it's good to acknowledge how one's capabilities have been diminished by age, recognize the team one has around him, and play to the strengths of that team. For once, Peyton could only take on the role of a game manager (i.e., just don't turn the ball over), and, with the exception of the pick and the fumble (which Cam matched and even exceeded), he did an excellent job in that role. Not the Peyton Manning of old, but the old Peyton Manning doing what his team needed him to do to win.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:47:31 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Pseudo-Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #7251 on: February 08, 2016, 01:44:02 AM »
Biggest highlight:

Chris Martin of Coldplay
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Sam G

• Pre-Nikonian Hyperdox Convert
  • OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #7252 on: February 08, 2016, 02:02:17 AM »
I'm glad Peyton got his second ring, but I'm pretty sure John Elway could have come out of retirement and played a more effective game.
Sometimes, though, it's good to acknowledge how one's capabilities have been diminished by age, recognize the team one has around him, and play to the strengths of that team. For once, Peyton could only take on the role of a game manager (i.e., just don't turn the ball over), and, with the exception of the pick and the fumble (which Cam matched and even exceeded), he did an excellent job in that role. Not the Peyton Manning of old, but the old Peyton Manning doing what his team needed him to do to win.

+1

Best way I've seen it put yet.
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7253 on: February 08, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »
Who the hell came up with the idea for that puppy monkey baby commercial? That was disturbing! :o

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7254 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
Having taken a closer look at Manning's SB stats, though, I have to recant much of what I said above. What else can one say about the worst performance in Super Bowl history by the winning QB except that he stunk. But on the plus side, the Broncos weren't led to expect much better from him and really didn't need much better from him with the way they played defense yesterday.

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
    • CLICKBAIT
« Reply #7255 on: February 08, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
I think it's clear Peyton is suffering from post-concussion symptoms with his Budweiser and Papa Johns endorsements.
Atheists are weak because they are deaf to joy and are unable to dance.

Quote from: Porter ODoran
The cold, gemlike flame of skeptical criticism elucidates only its own color.
Quote from: William T
While the prospects of an operatic cosmic catastrophe may always be looming behind us due to our temperaments, we do tend to be around lots and lots of the opposite sex from cradle to grave.

Offline William T

• High Elder
« Reply #7256 on: February 08, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
I think it's clear Peyton is suffering from post-concussion symptoms with his Budweiser and Papa Johns endorsements.

That was so amazing when I saw that.  "I'm going to kiss my wife and drink beer. Wait!   I mean... I'm going to drink Budweiser beer specifically.  Lots of Bud Beer."  Then I'm going to watch replys of the "Beef O Brady.com bowl"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:40:14 PM by William T »

H.L. Mencken

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #7257 on: February 09, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »

Selam

While it was great to see Ted Ginn have a nice game, Cam Newton was the most effective offensive player in the game.  I think at the end he was rattled, but he was the best offensive player on the field.

Cam the best offensive player? Oh, you mean the reward...yeah....but we must have been watching a different SB.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #7258 on: February 09, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »

A few years ago, when the Americans blew a huge lead and lost the Ryder Cup to the Europeans, you berated us for focusing on how the Americans choked and not giving the European team credit for an historic comeback. Now look at what you're doing. The Denver Broncos just won the Super Bowl, but you're not giving any credit at all to Peyton Manning, Von Miller, John Elway, et al., for what they did to upset the mighty Panthers in the biggest game of the season. Instead, you're taking advantage of this opportunity to continue to disparage an athlete who had the misfortune of graduating from your team's arch-rival Auburn.

I don't think I've mentioned anything about Cam during his pro career until now. But I could be wrong about that. You obviously keep a personal record of all my posts, which is sort of disturbing actually. But if that's how you like to spend your time, then have fun.  ;)

Selam
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7259 on: February 09, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »

I don't think I've mentioned anything about Cam during his pro career until now. But I could be wrong about that. You obviously keep a personal record of all my posts, which is sort of disturbing actually. But if that's how you like to spend your time, then have fun.  ;)
No, I don't keep a personal record of all your posts. This forum does that for me. ;)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #7260 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:53 PM »

No, I don't keep a personal record of all your posts. This forum does that for me. ;)

And that devalues the spookiness?
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7261 on: February 09, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »

And that devalues the spookiness?

It was never spooky to begin with. I have partial memory of many posts here. I find them based on my partial memory using the search engine. It is as simple as that. I am sure I am not alone in this.

Offline Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7262 on: February 10, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »
re: the endorsements, since I don't drink beer or eat pa john's pizza, this doesn't matter a whole lot, but it's nice that at least he's schilling for things I could actually get; unlike people who got paid tens of thousands of dollars and were given free vacations to say "We're going to [that one entertainment/amusement park]!" :P
"I have been called bad before. Many have said I do things that are not, correct to do. I don't believe in such talk as this. I am nice man, with happy feelings, all of the time!"

• Merarches
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7264 on: February 11, 2016, 12:08:39 AM »
This is too funny!

http://rare.us/story/andy-griffith-gave-super-bowl-50-loser-cam-newton-a-serious-talking-to-and-we-love-every-second-of-it/
This article may give some insights into the real reason why Cam Newton stormed out of his post-game press conference: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/super-bowl-50-cam-newton-bails-on-press-conference-due-to-chris-harris-carolina-panthers-020816

But now we know the real reason why Cam bailed: He heard Denver's Chris Harris explain close by that their gameplan was to make Carolina prove it could throw the football (which obviously the Panthers did not do well on Sunday).

Here's what Harris said: "Load the box, force y'all to throw the ball. Can you throw the football? That was the gameplan."

• Merarches
« Reply #7265 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »
This is too funny!

http://rare.us/story/andy-griffith-gave-super-bowl-50-loser-cam-newton-a-serious-talking-to-and-we-love-every-second-of-it/
This article may give some insights into the real reason why Cam Newton stormed out of his post-game press conference: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/super-bowl-50-cam-newton-bails-on-press-conference-due-to-chris-harris-carolina-panthers-020816

But now we know the real reason why Cam bailed: He heard Denver's Chris Harris explain close by that their gameplan was to make Carolina prove it could throw the football (which obviously the Panthers did not do well on Sunday).

Here's what Harris said: "Load the box, force y'all to throw the ball. Can you throw the football? That was the gameplan."

Yeah, I saw that. Bovine excrement. Scam wasn't worried about how the opposition felt when he was dabbing in their faces and taunting them with his Superscam gestures. Now we're supposed to feel sorry for him because he had to listen to the winning team talk about how they kicked his ****? Man up, own up, and grow up!

Selam

Profanity removed from post

You can make your arguments without resorting to such base profanities. Don't do this again.  -PtA
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:43:15 AM by PeterTheAleut »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7266 on: February 11, 2016, 02:45:55 AM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:48:51 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #7267 on: February 11, 2016, 04:16:53 AM »
This is too funny!

Yeah, I saw that. Bovine excrement. Scam wasn't worried about how the opposition felt when he was dabbing in their faces and taunting them with his Superscam gestures. Now we're supposed to feel sorry for him because he had to listen to the winning team talk about how they kicked his ****? Man up, own up, and grow up!

Selam

You can make your arguments without resorting to such base profanities. Don't do this again.  -PtA

Just for the record I didn't use profanity, as you know. But if my use of symbols was inappropriate then I apologize.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #7268 on: February 11, 2016, 04:18:29 AM »
Selam
Baloney

When there's no other argument to be made, you can always resort to mocking my salutation of peace. Cheap and petty, but if it makes you feel better...

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7269 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
Selam
Baloney

When there's no other argument to be made, you can always resort to mocking my salutation of peace. Cheap and petty, but if it makes you feel better.
You don't get it, do you? Your "salutation of peace" means nothing when you're spewing such vile, cheap and petty hatred.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7270 on: February 11, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
This is too funny!

Selam

Just for the record I didn't use profanity, as you know. But if my use of symbols was inappropriate then I apologize.

Selam
When you use symbols to spell an obvious profanity, then yes, you used a profanity. You're also arguing publicly with a moderator action, which is not to be done, as you know. If you wish to continue arguing with the modification I made to your post, then PM me. I will not tolerate further argument here.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #7271 on: February 11, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
Selam
Baloney

When there's no other argument to be made, you can always resort to mocking my salutation of peace. Cheap and petty, but if it makes you feel better.
You don't get it, do you? Your "salutation of peace" means nothing when you're spewing such vile, cheap and petty hatred.

Whoa, dudes, easy does it.
Sportsman like taunting is no more than a micro-aggression. In football there CAN be such a thing as THAT.
Take a deep one....

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7272 on: February 11, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »
Selam
Baloney

Whoa, dudes, easy does it.
Sportsman like taunting is no more than a micro-aggression. In football there CAN be such a thing as THAT.
Take a deep one....
Chill, dude! 8) There's no need for you to mediate here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:42:08 PM by PeterTheAleut »