Author Topic: Sayings of Abba Hezekiah To Be Published!  (Read 2936 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: Sayings of Abba Hezekiah To Be Published!
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
Time for Abba Hezekiah to go Hollywood, to counteract the evil foisted upon society by 50 Shades of Grey.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
Fifty Sketes of Prayer 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
Now one day Abba Hezekiah called all the monks from the entire region to gather, saying that he had been given a divinely-inspired dream. Everyone dropped what they were doing and immediately started out for the place where Hezekiah resided. Within a week everyone had gathered, with enough provisions brought in to feed the multitudinous gaggle of flesh. Every imaginable type of person was there: high and lowborn, sick and healthy, strong and weak, good and evil, black and white, male and boy, learned and nonlearned--in a word, it was like the entire area had become a funnel, and everyone had spun round and round till they were all concentrated in one place.

The local monks prepared a great valley in the desert for use as a place for the Abba to give his talk, for when speaking there your voice would echo and boom and could be heard for 5000 arm-lengths or more. When everyone was gathered Abba Hezekiah climbed up onto a small outcropping of rocks in the center, and looked around sadly. "God has shown me the future," he began, "and it is ghastly. However, he commanded me to tell you all that I saw. This will be written down and passed from generation to generation, until that time when the steel meets bone and madness breaks loose into the world. Now some of you will think me crazy when you hear these words. 'He is drunk on the foulest of wines' one will say. 'He has been ingesting some of that crazy elephant dust that merchants sell to unwary tourists' another will say. But it is not so. I have indulged in no wine, and I have sniffed no dust. I am sober--more sober than I have ever been! Now you too listen sober-mindedly to what I must tell you. You must also write it down, for all that I am about to say will not take place until a time when the world will not believe anything at all unless they can see it written down. They will be in such sick madness for writings and scribblings that they will invent machines to make books without human help, and create such a number of books that they are beyond count. I even foresaw in my vision someone writing words on a box with only his hands touching another box, and then God allowed me to see the words disappear from the box, float magically through the air, and finally reappear a great distance away on the surface of another box. 'This,' and angel said to me, 'is how they will communicate in the future.' I was much afraid, and asked the angel if people who not still talk face to face. 'No' the angel replied with anger.

“It is in this far off land of sorcery that a recently-formed empire will grow mighty in stature, until it thinks itself the envy of the world. And there will be a war of such size that the world has never seen its match—everyone from the silkman of the east to the miners of Gaul, from the seaman of the north to the snake worshippers of the south will join in. And this war will end after much bloodshed, but then there will be a second, even more terrible war, and all of humanity will be consumed, with nothing on their mind but death and destruction. Then, finally, the world will emerge from these, scarred but still breathing. And that will be the decisive moment! A man will come in the name of a rose, but his theology will be foul-smelling! He will be raised by heretics—nay, even pan-heretics—and will dabble in various philosophies during his youth. But then he will come across the glories of true Christianity, and meet a saintly man named John, who will preach with power and truth. And the man will convert to the holy apostolic orthodox Christianity—though it will not be the church of ours, or even the church of the imperials, but rather one started among the northmen, where barbarians now run amuck. Thus this man will leave his own, to join those who left their own and now reside among this man’s own.

“And next I saw the man and the saintly John in a church, and at the request of the saint a Seraphim came down to the man, and touched him, and then vanished. The touch did not give the man the gift he wanted, and the Lord did not give him the strengths he desired. Nonetheless, this man would go about his life as though they had. And this will be a terrible misfortune to those of that time! This man will have all the appearances of holiness: he will be a monk, he will have a beard, he will be celibate, he will have overcome a terrible sin which I will not even name... in a word, he will seem to the world to be holy. And perhaps he will be holy. Even holy men can make mistakes: for example consider our own Abba Nisterus of thrice-blessed memory. No one on earth could question that Abba was holy and sanctified, yet he believed all his life that donkeys and crocdiles talked when humans weren’t around. Nonsense! None of our much-wearying experiments ever showed the slightest signs of it! Thus we must accept the holy actions of such men, but like the sons of Noah cover the nakedness of our fathers without looking.

“We must therefore beware the writings of this man. He will write about the beginning of the world, and its end; he will write against the unbelievers; he will write about our earthly lives, and life in the world to come; he will write about the first man and the last man, though he himself is nothing more than the middle man. And we must beware all of it! The weak in faith and understanding in particular must not read his words! But most of all... most of all...”  and at this point Abba Hezekiah shed a single tear, which slowly ran down his cheek, finally parting from his face and falling like a bitter shard of his soul, before being smashed on the rock and lost to human perception. “Most of all...” he said with profound sadness, “you must not give ear to his words about our holy orthodoxy and that religion which at some point in the future he thinks will come. You must not!”

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2015, 10:58:38 PM »
You must also write it down, for all that I am about to say will not take place until a time when the world will not believe anything at all unless they can see it written down. They will be in such sick madness for writings and scribblings that they will invent machines to make books without human help, and create such a number of books that they are beyond count. I even foresaw in my vision someone writing words on a box with only his hands touching another box, and then God allowed me to see the words disappear from the box, float magically through the air, and finally reappear a great distance away on the surface of another box. 'This,' and angel said to me, 'is how they will communicate in the future.' I was much afraid, and asked the angel if people who not still talk face to face. 'No' the angel replied with anger.

Even holy men can make mistakes: for example consider our own Abba Nisterus of thrice-blessed memory. No one on earth could question that Abba was holy and sanctified, yet he believed all his life that donkeys and crocdiles talked when humans weren’t around. Nonsense! None of our much-wearying experiments ever showed the slightest signs of it!

I know of whom and of what the discerning Abba speaks, but I was so edified by the quotes above.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »
Now one day Abba Hezekiah was counting the peas gathered in his large basket, as he often did while saying a short prayer at that particular time of year. Then suddenly at about midday he heard a commotion approaching from the south, the direction of the city of Edfuetaten. The saintly man knew that nothing good would come of this, so he sent his servant out to send them away, hoping that they would leave him be. Yet as the abba feared, the servant returned within minutes and said, 'Please, they say that they will not leave until you speak to them, even if they have to sit there waiting till you leave the hut to relieve yourself.' Hezekiah left out a deep sigh, knowing that they would probably not have to wait long in that case. 'How many are there, and what is there problem?' he asked. The servant said that there were two and one of them, one very bold one who made the other two come, and the other two bellowing as though one and arguing with the one who opposed the two. The servant then proceeded to tell the abba what the problem was, in the exact words that the visitors had used. After he finished, Abba Hezekiah just looked at him, without blinking.

'Abba?' the servant asked hesitantly, 'will you see them?' 'Perhaps' the holy man said as he moved towards the door. When he exited Hezekiah saw the three men standing about 20 arm-lengths away. They ran up to him in a flurry, throwing themselves down at his feet, and the one with the question made himself known, saying, 'Great is the abba Hezekiah, and much to be admired, for his advice is like that of the--.' But at this point abba Hezekiah made them stop and get up. 'What are you doing?' he said angrily. 'Now, I will ask you one question, and you must answer truthfully.'  All three men nodded their assent. 'Tell me,' the old man said directly to the one with the question, 'have you ever been wrong?' At such a question everyone looked at the abba in confusion--everyone, that is, except the man the question was put to.

This man, whose name was Abadios, looked straight at the abba in wonder, as though he had just said something that the questioner had thought hidden. 'Well, um...' the visitor began, 'Yes. I have been wrong before.' He stopped and waited for the abba to reply, but the abba just continued to look at him. 'And... ' the man continued slowly, 'it felt really bad. I was so humiliated. I was 9 years old at the time. So, I decided, at that very moment, to never be wrong again. This is how I know that, since that time, I have never made a mistake.' His confidence grew as he said all this, glad that he could finally talk about it aloud, for he always thought that his great humility and modesty should keep him from talking of it, lest it cause jealousy and other sins in others. 'May I ask you about the book now?'

Abba Hezekiah turned, waving his hand dismissively at the three men, and went back to his hut, muttering to his servant, 'I'll dig a hole if I have to.'
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:02:11 AM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
His confidence grew as he said all this, glad that he could finally talk about it aloud, for he always thought that his great humility and modesty should keep him from talking of it, lest it cause jealousy and other sins in others. 'May I ask you about the book now?'

That has been my question. When is the book coming out?

I like the OT Hezekiah as well. The passage that gives me the most hope is Hezekiah 5:6, "For if you can keep five of the commandments ... that's a pass!"

I also never understood the context of this phrase until I read Hezekiah 3:15 "For the LORD helps those who help themselves. God cannot steer a parked chariot."

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:08 PM »
Those are indeed most interesting passages!  8)

And... *drum roll* ...I just found out that the book will be coming out this Fall! I had to switch to a different publisher because of some internal issues the last one was having, so it will now be put out by Sardinia and Sons Publishing Ltd. They sent me an advance copy...

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2015, 09:20:14 PM »
Dope facial hair, Abba.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
Some sayings:

"You cannot fly with the eagles when you sup with the camels."

And Abba Hezekiah used to say about translations: "Read twice, write once."

Abba Hezekiah once said to the wife of the local supreme administrator: "No man alive today can go into the next life smelling like a rose, so why do you care so much about those things?"

"Prayer is like a snake. Seize it by the tail and you'll regret it "

"Honey tastes sweet to the lips, and oil gladdens the heart of man, but what does old Hezekiah have but some bread and salt?"

"Do not yearn for what you cannot have; do not take what you do not want."

"Presents are better than borrowings; but better still are giving gifts rather than presents."