Author Topic: Pseudo-Junk Science  (Read 752 times)

Offline Justinian of Narnia

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
  • I have come home at last! This is my real country.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of NA
Re: Pseudo-Junk Science
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
In a discussion it is always a good idea to define terms so that everyone is on the same page. Evolution comes in two types: micro and macro. Microevolution is change within a species or small group of organisms, especially over a short period. Macroevolution is major change mainly to the evolution of whole taxonomic groups over long periods of time. I support microevolution. This is evident in everyday life to include medical science. However macroevolution, the idea that Darwin supported, is false. Small changes within a species are evident, large changes where one species turns into another is not.
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
In a discussion it is always a good idea to define terms so that everyone is on the same page. Evolution comes in two types: micro and macro. Microevolution is change within a species or small group of organisms, especially over a short period. Macroevolution is major change mainly to the evolution of whole taxonomic groups over long periods of time. I support microevolution. This is evident in everyday life to include medical science. However macroevolution, the idea that Darwin supported, is false. Small changes within a species are evident, large changes where one species turns into another is not.
If I recall correctly, micro and macro was discussed thoroughly in the Creationism, Evolution and Orthodoxy thread. Isolation is what distinguishes the two.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2019, 01:22:41 AM »
Okey dokey

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2019, 01:23:52 AM »
Pseudo-junk science is real science.
+1
Junk science is science done poorly (for example, the results are questionable due to insufficient controls).Pseudo science is fake science (science in name only).

+2

This is entirely correct.
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

I beg of all members of OCNet to make it their new years resolution to adopt the Golden Rule in threads and be nice to each other.  It’s the Orthodox Christian thing to do.  Be nice, and remember, in the immortal words of Patrick Swayze of blessed memory, that no one ever wins a fight.

Also, if I have ever offended you in my posts or conduct, I apologize. 

Sts. Cyril, Maximus and Mark of Ephesus, pray for us!

Offline Alpha60

• Archon
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 01:29:19 AM »
We have AIDS because someone had relations with monkeys.

Well, someone had relations with monkeys, and then someone who had contracted that virus directly or indirectly migrated to Greenwich Village and the infection spread rapidly, and also quickly infected the heterosexual population as well due to the free sex culture of the Hippies, in the 1960s and 70s, and it was a terrible tragedy, with many innocent victims who were infected by blood transfusions and so forth.
-Cato the Elder

I beg of all members of OCNet to make it their new years resolution to adopt the Golden Rule in threads and be nice to each other.  It’s the Orthodox Christian thing to do.  Be nice, and remember, in the immortal words of Patrick Swayze of blessed memory, that no one ever wins a fight.

Offline Alpha60

• Archon
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 01:32:22 AM »
For those of you who haven't read up: Lots of evidence here.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology

Do not put too much trust in the age in which we live. As St. Paul tells us:

Romans 1:22: Professing to be wise, they became fools.

1 Corinthians 3:18: Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.

I know that the prevailing opinion, even in Orthodox circles, is that evolution is fact. However this is not the case and it is a sad situation. In a nut shell, I take God at his word. In John chapter 6 Christ says:

I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”

The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?”

Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me.
{John 6:51-57}

This section is typically used to support the Orthodox belief in the real presence in the Eucharist. If you are Orthodox you believe this. So if we take God at his word when He says we actually eat his body and drink his blood, why do we not believe he created the universe in 6 days? Is the one easier to believe than the other? To believe in evolution you have to believe in death before people. This is contrary to our faith. We believe that man sinned and by his sin death entered the world, and by this death all men now die. Christ destroyed death by His death. Death was not present until man sinned. So therefore evolution must be false. Evolution in not compatible with Orthodoxy, it never has been, nor will it ever be. The fathers speak of this clearly. I truly believe that evolution will be part of the great deception at the end of the age. It is an almost universally held belief among atheists, agnostics, protestants, catholics, various world religions and sadly the Orthodox. Pray for belief my brothers and sisters.

Ummm most Creationists are Protestant, dude.  And a fair number are Roman Catholic.  Also many are Islamic.
-Cato the Elder

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:47:44 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Brilko

• Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2019, 02:15:21 AM »
I like my science weird. Or blinding.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2019, 02:18:17 AM »
No one had relations with a monkey.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/10/26/498876985/mystery-solved-how-hiv-came-to-the-u-s

This passage from Asteriktos' article tells you much the same story:

"The most commonly accepted theory is that of the 'hunter'. In this scenario, SIVcpz was transferred to humans as a result of chimps being killed and eaten, or their blood getting into cuts or wounds on people in the course of hunting.5 Normally, the hunter's body would have fought off SIV, but on a few occasions the virus adapted itself within its new human host and became HIV-1."

All this is a lot more likely than anyone having sex with monkeys. That's literally a bad Sam Kinison joke.

Come on, now.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Alpha60

• Archon
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
No one had relations with a monkey.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/10/26/498876985/mystery-solved-how-hiv-came-to-the-u-s

This passage from Asteriktos' article tells you much the same story:

"The most commonly accepted theory is that of the 'hunter'. In this scenario, SIVcpz was transferred to humans as a result of chimps being killed and eaten, or their blood getting into cuts or wounds on people in the course of hunting.5 Normally, the hunter's body would have fought off SIV, but on a few occasions the virus adapted itself within its new human host and became HIV-1."

All this is a lot more likely than anyone having sex with monkeys. That's literally a bad Sam Kinison joke.

Come on, now.

Oh, that is interesting and sounds more plausible.  I had heard the monkey explanation before and it seemed credible, and indeed it was, but the devil is in the details.
-Cato the Elder