OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:24:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sayings of Abba Hezekiah To Be Published!  (Read 252 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« on: April 01, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »

The works of Abba Hezekiah are going to be published!

I know this is going to seem like an April Fools joke being posted on this particular day, but you all know how big a fan I am of Abba Hezekiah, so I just couldn't wait till tomorrow. And if you don't believe me then see this page, written by the translator of the works, who just broke the news. I will update this thread when I see anything else about this, such as a publication date!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

I've never heard of him....but, I always not only enjoy, but, learn a lot reading the Desert Fathers. 

I am sure I will learn much from this work, if I ever get to read it.

It's always good when such things get published.

Keep us updated.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:59:49 AM »

So...I wanted to read up on Abba Hezekiah...and I did a Google Search.

This great Pearl of Wisdom popped up:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=38137.2110;wap2

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »

ROFL!!   I'm crying!!!  Where's my asthma inhaler?!?!

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
DeniseDenise
OC.net guru

Faith: Now with added Catechumenness!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »

Here...borrow mine...

an emergency is an emergency....

Here's hoping my defense at the dread judgement seat of Christ doesn't turn out to be 'well I argued about what day it was.....a lot'
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »

LOL!! Amazing.

So...I wanted to read up on Abba Hezekiah...and I did a Google Search.

This great Pearl of Wisdom popped up:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=38137.2110;wap2

Liza, I just love you to pieces.  Kiss

Relatedly, it seems Abba Hezekiah has a Twitter. His description reads: "God over money,money over ladies.i rep d body of christ.....love jesus#rapper".

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »

Relatedly, it seems Abba Hezekiah has a Twitter. His description reads: "God over money,money over ladies.i rep d body of christ.....love jesus#rapper".

Holy (c)rap, what are the odds...

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »

Asteriktos, you realise Abba Hezekiah needs a surname in order not to be confused with that fellow on Twitter, right?   

I recommend "Anderson".  Among the apophthegmata can be a story about the time he commissioned a hermit to make for him a basket, matching prayer mats, and a hair shirt, all monogrammed with "AHA".   

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:35:54 PM »

Asteriktos, you realise Abba Hezekiah needs a surname in order not to be confused with that fellow on Twitter, right?   

I recommend "Anderson".  Among the apophthegmata can be a story about the time he commissioned a hermit to make for him a basket, matching prayer mats, and a hair shirt, all monogrammed with "AHA".   

Grin
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:52:09 PM »

Abba Hezekiah said one day: 'My heart is heavy, and my soul weak, with the burdens of this life. The yoke of Christ is light, but the yoke of helping my fellow man weighs heavily upon me. Soon I will be gone, and who then will serve as the donkey?'

Now one day Abba Hezekiah was sitting in his hut with several other old men, and through a crack in the foundation a sluggobug slithered in--that most speedy and nimble of God's tiny creatures. All the old men jumped up and yelled 'Abba! Watch out!' Yet the saint remained calm and slowly looked around the room at each of the others. 'Truly I tell you,' Abba Hezekiah began, 'God has allowed this vile creature to come in just now, to teach you all a lesson. You must discern the truly dangerous from the only apparently dangerous. You jump in fear upon seeing this sluggobug, who will suck out your earthly life, yet you do not recognize that you sit idly by while the devil sucks out the very virtue from your soul, destroying your eternal life.'
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:16:33 PM »

Q.  Where was Abba Hezekiah during my Lenten observance? 
A.  Observing hesychia in the desert so that he would enrich me with spiritual meat during Pascha as I feast on physical meat and lose the fruits of asceticism I struggled to gain during the Fast. 

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:26:58 PM »

One day a young man came down to Egypt to see Saint Hezekiah and ask his advice. 'Abba, I am almost done with my education and have begun to write theological texts, but I am not sure what the most important thing is in this regard. How can I become a great theologian and correct those in error? Should I focus on learning the languages of the many nations, or on reading every book I can find, or just go straight to refuting the heretics?'

'I would start by buying a boat.' Abba Hezekiah replied, sighing.

'A boat?' the young man said confusedly. 'But why? What for?' Do I need to travel somewhere far off?'

'No' the saint said, 'but you will need to procure a constant supply of oil to light your lamp if you are going to correct the errors of others, for error-filled theological writings multiply in a never-ending stream nowadays.'

'Is it really that bad, Abba?' the young man asked, seeming quite happy and excited by the prospect of having so much to write about.

'It would seem so,' the Abba replied dejectedly. 'I have young men just like that come to see me every single day asking for advice on becoming great theologians.'
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:29:11 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 09:45:45 PM »

Dost thou speakest? ...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: