Author Topic: The Menswear Thread  (Read 19451 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: The Menswear Thread
« Reply #900 on: March 24, 2015, 11:41:06 PM »

Does anyone still eat bread and butter with a knife and fork, and wipe the plate that way?
If they do, they won't admit to it during Lent!  :P
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #901 on: March 25, 2015, 04:30:00 AM »
What about a napkin tucked under the chin (that is, over the tie) at meals? Too old-fashioned to be conservative and classy? Or is it something a man of style could pull off?

I incline against it unless the food is messy and the context informal. Otherwise you should be able to eat without spilling anything on your clothes.
http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #902 on: March 25, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
Just ordered a new tie.

I have been looking for one like that for some time. Now I just need excuses to use it. And some proper pants and jackets to pair it with.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:00:11 PM by Alpo »

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith should; hope could; love would
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #903 on: March 25, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
Very nice! You'll be channeling Cary Grant or the Duke of Windsor.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #904 on: March 26, 2015, 03:21:40 AM »
Just ordered a new tie.

I have been looking for one like that for some time. Now I just need excuses to use it. And some proper pants and jackets to pair it with.

A gentleman needs no excuse to wear a tie.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #905 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »
Speaking of ties, have you all checked out http://www.thetiebar.com/?

They have zillions of ties for $15. I have a lot of them and think theyre quite nice.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Pravoslavac

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #906 on: March 26, 2015, 10:08:19 AM »
I wore a tie only once, high-school graduation, and i am afraid i will wear it only once more, when i die. xD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:15:56 AM by Pravoslavac »
"I will make flowers bloom even on a rock, only if it is a desire of my People." - leader Kim Jong Il

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #907 on: March 26, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
I wore a tie only once, and i am afraid i will wear it only once more, when i die. xD

man up!
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Antonis

• "The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
  • OC.net guru
  • Ένας Νέος Θεοτόκος
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District
« Reply #908 on: March 26, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
Whenever I enter this thread I am surprised that our pillars of Orthodoxy belittle others for lacking a supposed sense of fashion. It's not befitting for anyone, let alone Christians.

From our Plagal 4th Matins,

He who so adorns the lilies of the field commands not to be concerned about one's own raiment.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:20:10 AM by Antonis »
As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #909 on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »
Whenever I enter this thread I am surprised that our pillars of Orthodoxy belittle others for lacking a supposed sense of fashion. It's not befitting for anyone, let alone Christians.

He who so adorns the lilies of the field commands not to be concerned about one's own raiment.

I suppose you'd say the same about a thread about good cooking, since Christ taught, "Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink"? It's not that you don't have a point -- any one of us should be willing to go in rags for our Lord or to give a coat to one who has none -- it's that you seem to think your point negates this thread's point, which is simply to consider, since we are blessed with clothing, how it is most fitting to wear it.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #910 on: March 26, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
Just ordered a new tie.

A gentleman needs no excuse to wear a tie.

Hear hear.

One used to see even people playing sports (well, some sports) or farmers wearing them.

Offline Antonis

• OC.net guru
  • Ένας Νέος Θεοτόκος
« Reply #911 on: March 26, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »

I suppose you'd say the same about a thread about good cooking, since Christ taught, "Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink"? It's not that you don't have a point -- any one of us should be willing to go in rags for our Lord or to give a coat to one who has none -- it's that you seem to think your point negates this thread's point, which is simply to consider, since we are blessed with clothing, how it is most fitting to wear it.
But I never said that. Quality of food, stylishness of clothing, etc., shouldn't be reasons to set ourselves above others or belittle our brothers. Both of these things are commonplace in this thread.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #912 on: March 26, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »
I see what you're saying.

I do have to wonder if at least sometimes what you consider "belittling," the posters would consider trying to stand up amid comments that belittle their knowledge and the lost art of conservative style. If someone were to come into a thread about cooking and say "None of this matters; put all the food in a pot and turn the stove on" (yes, I know I'm starting to overuse this analogy), would you consider it belittling him if other posters stood up for sharp knives and a proper sear?

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #913 on: March 26, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
How tiresome it is that every so often manly men, announcing that they don't care how they dress (why then bother with this thread?) and implying that anyone who think otherwise are effeminate idiots, or saints who proclaim that rags suffice and that we should be more humble (what's more humble than telling others to be more humble?), come barging in to disturb our merrymaking. Oh well, nothing is to be done about it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:21:15 AM by Cyrillic »
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #914 on: March 26, 2015, 11:29:43 AM »
My wife not too long ago bought herself A Guide to Elegance, by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux, a book for women I'd found and recommended some years ago. It's gotten me thinking, is there a single book for men that reliably advises on all aspects of classic style?

I know there have been a couple of heavily-marketed new books lately, with titles that seem to claim to be this, but upon inspection they're pretty gimmicky and unreliable.

For myself, I've had such an interest in this subject (and on etiquette) since a teen, that I've combed many books and magazines from many eras. But this isn't such an attractive way to introduce another person to the subject -- "Oh spend a few years absorbing older sources" --

So does anybody have a book to suggest?

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
« Reply #915 on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
My wife not too long ago bought herself A Guide to Elegance, by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux, a book for women I'd found and recommended some years ago. It's gotten me thinking, is there a single book for men that reliably advises on all aspects of classic style?

I know there have been a couple of heavily-marketed new books lately, with titles that seem to claim to be this, but upon inspection they're pretty gimmicky and unreliable.

For myself, I've had such an interest in this subject (and on etiquette) since a teen, that I've combed many books and magazines from many eras. But this isn't such an attractive way to introduce another person to the subject -- "Oh spend a few years absorbing older sources" --

Emily Post's 1922 book is alright,
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #916 on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »
Fishermen off the coast of Brittany:

Offline Antonis

• OC.net guru
  • Ένας Νέος Θεοτόκος
« Reply #917 on: March 26, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »
I see what you're saying.

I do have to wonder if at least sometimes what you consider "belittling," the posters would consider trying to stand up amid comments that belittle their knowledge and the lost art of conservative style. If someone were to come into a thread about cooking and say "None of this matters; put all the food in a pot and turn the stove on" (yes, I know I'm starting to overuse this analogy), would you consider it belittling him if other posters stood up for sharp knives and a proper sear?
But what is, exactly, "conservative style"? Conservative in the sense of old and traditional, or conservative in the sense of modest and humble, or something else entirely? Because, in one sense, the clothing advocated here is just a liberalization of a liberalization of a liberalization, just as all clothing trends are. It isn't something primordial. I think a more productive direction would be clothing that is conservative in the sense of modesty, humility, and (if possible) thriftiness.

How tiresome it is that every so often manly men, announcing that they don't care how they dress (why then bother with this thread?) and implying that anyone who think otherwise are effeminate idiots, or saints who proclaim that rags suffice and that we should be more humble (what's more humble than telling others to be more humble?), come barging in to disturb our merrymaking. Oh well, nothing is to be done about it.
How tiresome it is when people put on false airs and create entire personalities out of thin air, speaking whimsically and with hyperbole and positing things that were never said by others. What pretension! What madness! It offends my pristine sensibilities.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #918 on: March 26, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
So, Antonis, judging from that post, if you don't understand something, you flap your hands rather than stopping to learn.

And if you don't understand someone, you accuse him of falseness of personality.

You know, this is a subject that's much larger. I have a relative who constantly refers to artisan trades as nothing, as work lazy or stupid people do by default. Of course she couldn't change the oil in her car. On the other hand, we all know people who think the liberal arts, or the soft sciences, are sheer prattery, nothing at all in the mouths of pretenders. As tho it were possible for such large enterprises over many generations to be nothing but pretense.

Do we really think we comprise in our own person and talents and experience everything that is worthwhile? That is not a logical conclusion. It is certainly not a generous one.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #919 on: March 26, 2015, 01:12:13 PM »
Maybe I missed something as I havent read the entire thread, but Im not sure how such an innocent thread became so hostile. Maybe everyone should head over to the Tie Bar website i linked earlier, buy a new tie, and relax!

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Antonis

• OC.net guru
  • Ένας Νέος Θεοτόκος
« Reply #920 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:43 PM »
So, Antonis, judging from that post, if you don't understand something, you flap your hands rather than stopping to learn.
What do I not understand? Why do you say this?

And if you don't understand someone, you accuse him of falseness of personality.
I don't think this is a matter of understanding or not understanding a person. People can act pretentious and with a contrived and artificially "sophisticated" air--something that is common here--if they want to (people can dream up whatever fantasies they desire), but to bemoan their longsuffering amidst the masses of the plebeians is just ridiculous and cruel. If they won't step into reality, they could at least be kind. Hours spent reading and researching about these "finer arts" aren't a luxury that most people have.
You know, this is a subject that's much larger. I have a relative who constantly refers to artisan trades as nothing, as work lazy or stupid people do by default. Of course she couldn't change the oil in her car. On the other hand, we all know people who think the liberal arts, or the soft sciences, are sheer prattery, nothing at all in the mouths of pretenders. As tho it were possible for such large enterprises over many generations to be nothing but pretense.
As I stated before, this is not an issue for me. I have my own intellectual hobbies that could just as easily be accused of vanity.

Do we really think we comprise in our own person and talents and experience everything that is worthwhile? That is not a logical conclusion. It is certainly not a generous one.
Again, you are extrapolating something that isn't there to extrapolate. Whether I think that or not is not the issue.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #921 on: March 26, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »
Have a good day, Antonis.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #922 on: March 26, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »

Sirach 11

1 The wisdom of a humble man will lift up his head,
    and will seat him among the great.
2 Do not praise a man for his good looks,
    nor loathe a man because of his appearance.
3 The bee is small among flying creatures,
    but her product is the best of sweet things.
4 Do not boast about wearing fine clothes,
    nor exalt yourself in the day that you are honored;
for the works of the Lord are wonderful,
    and his works are concealed from men.
5 Many kings have had to sit on the ground,
    but one who was never thought of has worn a crown.
6 Many rulers have been greatly disgraced,
    and illustrious men have been handed over to others.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #923 on: March 26, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
Maybe I missed something as I havent read the entire thread, but Im not sure how such an innocent thread became so hostile. Maybe everyone should head over to the Tie Bar website i linked earlier, buy a new tie, and relax!

How reputable is it?

I have a hesitation with my credit card and sites I've never been to before.

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • Holy Royal Martyr Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #924 on: March 26, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »
I'm just happy when a guy doesn't wear a hoodie everyday.
"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #925 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »

Emily Post's 1922 book is alright,

It gives some proscriptions, and that's good, but I'm thinking of a book full of helpful advice, like on how to assemble a wardrobe, a personal look, dress on different incomes, dress for different kinds of outings, care for clothes (an important one, especially in our age of ignorance), get clothes altered, and all that sort of thing.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #926 on: March 26, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Oh and fit seems to be a huge issue, especially for young men (now I'm just thinking out loud). How to avoid bad trends of course -- but I guess that would be covered by giving the proper model.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:43:38 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #927 on: March 26, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »

How reputable is it?

I have a hesitation with my credit card and sites I've never been to before.

Ive used it before with no trouble. When you google "mens ties" its the first thing to appear.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
« Reply #928 on: March 26, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »
How tiresome it is when people put on false airs and create entire personalities out of thin air, speaking whimsically and with hyperbole and positing things that were never said by others. What pretension! What madness! It offends my pristine sensibilities.

Why would you think I adressed you?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:47:02 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Antonis

• OC.net guru
  • Ένας Νέος Θεοτόκος
« Reply #929 on: March 26, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »

Why would you think I adressed you?
I assumed, given the proximity of your response to my post. If I was wrong, I apologize.

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #930 on: March 26, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

Alan Flusser's Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permant Fashion is my go-to.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #931 on: March 27, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »

I'va had quite a few nice tips from this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/Gentleman-A-Timeless-Guide-Fashion/dp/3848002620

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #932 on: March 27, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #933 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
We are never, ever, ever, getting back together.

- St. Taylor Swift the Confessor
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #934 on: Yesterday at 12:01:25 AM »
We are never, ever, ever, getting back together.

- St. Taylor Swift the Confessor

Isn't that the song with all the furries?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #935 on: Yesterday at 12:34:36 AM »

Thomas Aquinas has a sad. :(

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #936 on: Yesterday at 12:37:36 AM »
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
« Reply #937 on: Yesterday at 10:37:45 AM »

Hoodies are never appropriate for white folk.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #938 on: Yesterday at 02:17:14 PM »

Hoodies are never appropriate for anyone.

Yes, we can.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #939 on: Yesterday at 02:22:49 PM »

Only because you weren't a teenager in 2001.  Next you're going to tell me that a center part and wallet chain aren't cool either.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline juliogb

« Reply #940 on: Yesterday at 03:43:20 PM »

This is classy.

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #941 on: Today at 02:45:51 AM »

This is classy.

They look like they sold their cousins into slavery for a bunch of clothes they didn't understand how to wear.