Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christians  (Read 131608 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Famous Orthodox Christians
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »
Anna Maria Marten, an Indonesian model
She is beautiful :-*
Yes, Indeed. She is very kind and nice to everybody.
I go to the same church with her family.
Her sons are famous entertainers.
Sebastianos Gibran Marten
and
Laurentios Gading Marten

That's amazing to see Indonesian Orthodox celebrities ;)

Some famous Arab Orthodox Christians:
Ghada Shouaa - the unique Syrian gold medalist

Hanna Mina - famous Syrian novelist

Ziad Rahbani - Lebanese musician, son of Fairuz. Unfortunately, now he's an atheist.
Actually, there are other members of Rahabni family that are (still) Orthodox and are recognised musicians in the same time.

Jurji Zaydan - Lebanese historician, journalist, an important person in Nahda movement (Arabic culture and literature revival)

Michel Aflaq - one of the founders of Pan-Arabic party Ba'ath; there were some rumors that in the end of his life he converted to Islam, but there are Arabic materials that it was a kind of Saddam Hussein's propaganda.

Gebran Tueni - Lebanese journalist, founder of the most popular daily newspaper in Lebanon called Al-Nahar

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2016, 10:39:22 AM »

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:07 AM »
Anna Maria Marten, an Indonesian model
She is beautiful :-*
Yes, Indeed. She is very kind and nice to everybody.
I go to the same church with her family.
Her sons are famous entertainers.
Sebastianos Gibran Marten
and
Laurentios Gading Marten

That's amazing to see Indonesian Orthodox celebrities ;)

Some famous Arab Orthodox Christians:
Ghada Shouaa - the unique Syrian gold medalist

Hanna Mina - famous Syrian novelist

Ziad Rahbani - Lebanese musician, son of Fairuz. Unfortunately, now he's an atheist.
Actually, there are other members of Rahabni family that are (still) Orthodox and are recognised musicians in the same time.

Jurji Zaydan - Lebanese historician, journalist, an important person in Nahda movement (Arabic culture and literature revival)

Michel Aflaq - one of the founders of Pan-Arabic party Ba'ath; there were some rumors that in the end of his life he converted to Islam, but there are Arabic materials that it was a kind of Saddam Hussein's propaganda.

Gebran Tueni - Lebanese journalist, founder of the most popular daily newspaper in Lebanon called Al-Nahar

Impressive list.  Ziad has always been a bit of a rebel though.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:13:26 PM by William T »
“Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."

"And The Word became flesh and tabernacled among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth"

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #408 on: June 07, 2016, 12:17:46 PM »
Vasiliky (Betty) Cantrell
Miss America 2016

I found this in my facebook

Hopefully this means a Lebanese or Armenian Orthodox girl is  next.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:19:09 PM by William T »
“Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."

"And The Word became flesh and tabernacled among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth"

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #409 on: June 07, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »

Sad

Selam

Why?

I think beauty contests are completely incompatible with the spirit of Orthodoxy. But then again, I watch sports, which some people believe is also contrary to the spirit of Orthodoxy. I would argue that unlike sports, vanity and lust are inherent aspects of beauty contests.

Selam
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:07:37 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"God is a consuming fire. And His fire is love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #410 on: June 07, 2016, 05:44:30 PM »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #411 on: June 07, 2016, 05:51:45 PM »
I suppose it depends on whether it's solely physical beauty that's being emphasized or not.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #412 on: June 07, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »

Sad

Selam

Why?

I think beauty contests are completely incompatible with the spirit of Orthodoxy. But then again, I watch sports, which some people believe is also contrary to the spirit of Orthodoxy. I would argue that unlike sports, vanity and lust are inherent aspects of beauty contests.

Selam

Yeah, there's no vanity and lust in sports.  Or violence injurious to health and wellbeing. 
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #413 on: June 07, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »
I suppose it depends on whether it's solely physical beauty that's being emphasized or not.

The way I see it, a person trying to make their body as beautiful as possible is no more encouraging lust that a painter of landscapes is encouraging nature-worship. Yes, in both cases it can be an unfortunate side-effect, but that's on the viewer.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2016, 07:26:43 PM »
Vladimir Tarasenko, leading scorer for St. Louis Blues NHL Hockey team is Orthodox.  He attends my church occasionally with his family.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
Vladimir Tarasenko, leading scorer for St. Louis Blues NHL Hockey team is Orthodox.  He attends my church occasionally with his family.

Awesome.  I was thrilled when they beat Chicago this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL was the most "Orthodox" sport in America due to the number of E. Europeans who play for the league.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #416 on: June 10, 2016, 11:15:45 AM »

The way I see it, a person trying to make their body as beautiful as possible is no more encouraging lust that a painter of landscapes is encouraging nature-worship. Yes, in both cases it can be an unfortunate side-effect, but that's on the viewer.

Mor contemplates Rachel Weisz to ascend to contemplation of spiritual Beauty.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:15:58 AM by Iconodule »
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #417 on: June 10, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »

Mor contemplates Rachel Weisz to ascend to contemplation of spiritual Beauty.

I love ascending...it's as much about the journey as it is about the destination.
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #418 on: June 11, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »

Sad

Selam

Why?

Selam

Yeah, there's no vanity and lust in sports.  Or violence injurious to health and wellbeing.

Of course there is vanity in sports, perhaps lust too. In fact, you can find vanity and lust even in the Orthodox Church. But vanity and lust are not means, goals, and ends of sports. But they are in beauty contests.

Selam
"God is a consuming fire. And His fire is love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #419 on: August 05, 2016, 03:43:08 AM »

Sad

Selam

Why?

Selam

Of course there is vanity in sports, perhaps lust too. In fact, you can find vanity and lust even in the Orthodox Church. But vanity and lust are not means, goals, and ends of sports. But they are in beauty contests.

Selam

Not to mention sports are actually used as a metaphor in Scripture (I have finished the race, etc.)
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #420 on: August 05, 2016, 03:44:35 AM »
Kennedy, for one.

And then (not to get too political or anything) but there's a possible future president of the United States, Justin Amash.

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #421 on: August 05, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »
Never heard of this Amash, but I would like the visibility an Orthodox president of the US would grant to the Church. Both current presidents of Brazil come from Orthodox backgrounds but are RC... The mayor of São Paulo is actually Orthodox though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Haddad
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:56:02 AM by RaphaCam »
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #422 on: August 05, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Never heard of this Amash, but I would like the visibility an Orthodox president of the US would grant to the Church. Both current presidents of Brazil come from Orthodox backgrounds but are RC... The mayor of São Paulo is actually Orthodox though.

Isn't (wasn't) the Lebanese one a Maronite, not Orthodox?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
« Reply #423 on: August 05, 2016, 09:09:22 AM »

Isn't (wasn't) the Lebanese one a Maronite, not Orthodox?
Yes, but his parents were Orthodox before getting to Brazil. They were from Btaaboura and his uncle (or his father's ucle?) was a bishop. They were probably assimilated to the Maronite Church influenced by the local Arab community.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #424 on: August 05, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »

Sad

Selam

Why?

Selam

Selam

Not to mention sports are actually used as a metaphor in Scripture (I have finished the race, etc.)

Violence and sex are also used as metaphors in Scripture.  Violence and sex actually occur in Scripture.  Heck, so do beauty contests. 

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #425 on: August 05, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

Sad

Selam

Why?

Selam

Selam

Violence and sex are also used as metaphors in Scripture.  Violence and sex actually occur in Scripture.  Heck, so do beauty contests.

Not to mention....running a footrace is hardly comparable to all other sports.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
« Reply #426 on: August 08, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »
Not sure if The Weeknd is still Orthodox, but he went to a Tewahedo parish when younger, and he financed some Ge'ez university course while older.

Offline juliogb

• Elder
« Reply #427 on: August 09, 2016, 08:11:54 AM »
I think the brazilian journalist Guga Chacra from Globonews is orthodox.

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #428 on: August 09, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
Yusra Mardini, the Syrian refugee swimmer competing in Rio Olympics, is from a Christian family... I'm not sure if that means Orthodox or not.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »

Aliya Mustafina and Seda Tutkhalyan, the only Russian gymnasts to make an impression in Rio. (Mustafina by maintaining her long-held world class, and Tutkhalyan by being the next big thing who didn't do as well as expected.)

Observance is unconfirmed, but Rami Malek, of Mr. Robot fame, is an ethnic Copt.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Cyrillic

• Make OC.net Great Again!
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »
And then (not to get too political or anything) but there's a possible future president of the United States, Justin Amash.

He has the charisma of a dead ferret.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:10:39 PM by Cyrillic »
That is the land of lost content,          
  I see it shining plain,   
The happy highways where I went   
  And cannot come again.
-A.E. Housman

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #431 on: August 20, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »

Aliya Mustafina and Seda Tutkhalyan, the only Russian gymnasts to make an impression in Rio. (Mustafina by maintaining her long-held world class, and Tutkhalyan by being the next big thing who didn't do as well as expected.)

Both names are not Russian; the first one is rather Muslim, the second one, as I've seen on wikipedia, is Armenian, so maybe she is Orthodox.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #432 on: August 20, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »

Both names are not Russian; the first one is rather Muslim, the second one, as I've seen on wikipedia, is Armenian, so maybe she is Orthodox.

Mustafina is most definitely Orthodox. Photographic proof.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #433 on: August 20, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »

Interesting... If Wikipedia doesn't lie, she's from a mixed (Tatar-Russian) family; anyway, usually if father is Muslim, children are Muslims too, that's why I thought she's not Orthodox..

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #434 on: August 20, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »

Interesting... If Wikipedia doesn't lie, she's from a mixed (Tatar-Russian) family; anyway, usually if father is Muslim, children are Muslims too, that's why I thought she's not Orthodox..

I suspect Soviets of Muslim background could be just as indifferent to things religious, back in the day, as those of Christian background.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
Naguib El-Rihani, one of the most famous Egyptian comedian actors, seems to be Coptic (his mother was Coptic Orthodox and his father was Chaldean).

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »
Constantin Brancusi, leading modernist sculptor. Apparently he was quite involved with the Church from an early age.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
Constantin Brancusi, leading modernist sculptor. Apparently he was quite involved with the Church from an early age.

We had this version of his sleeping muse at the Chicago Art Institute:

Though I havent seen it on display in over a year.  I think the Institute still claims to have it.  Maybe it's being lended to another museum or is in preservation / restoration.  I always made it a point to see it when it was on display, and I miss it.  I think we have a couple prints of his as well.  Detroit has the similarly named and designed, but much more strange looking "Sleeping Child", something that is never on my agenda to look at while I'm there.

Do you have a source on his Church involvement?  In my mind I have it stored that he was raised Orthodox, but was more concerned with folk traditions and a vague spirituality (maybe something similar toTolstyism) .  I tried to quickly look up is spiritual tendencies when I read your post, but found nothing, so I don't know where I got that info.  If it was in an art book, it's probably either destroyed or back in Ohio, so I can't fact check on my books.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:05:51 PM by William T »

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2016, 01:10:35 PM »
Hi William, I learned of it just today reading this article by Aidan Hart at Orthodox Arts Journal:

http://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/the-altar-and-the-portico-pt1/

He provides a couple citations about Brancusi from people who knew him.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
Hi William, I learned of it just today reading this article by Aidan Hart at Orthodox Arts Journal:

It's always interesting to see how Eastern Christian artists who were in the "modernism / post-modernism" genre relate their upbringing to their art.  Andy Warhol was always Byzantine Catholic, and a devote one.  Iconography was very much an influence on his work:

http://mirappraisal.com/andy-warhol-religious-iconography-from-a-pop-icon/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:56:45 PM by William T »

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2016, 01:59:52 PM »

It's always interesting to see how Eastern Christian artists who were in the "modernism / post-modernism" genre relate their upbringing to their art.  Andy Warhol was always Byzantine Catholic, and a devote one.  Iconography was very much an influence on his work:

http://mirappraisal.com/andy-warhol-religious-iconography-from-a-pop-icon/

Nowosielski, Tarasewicz, Nikifor.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.