Author Topic: BBC - Beyonce twins: Sir Carter and Rumi pictured for first time  (Read 694 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Beyonce has shared the first picture of herself with her twins to celebrate them turning one month old.

The US singer also confirmed they are called Sir Carter and Rumi - which had been rumoured after she and husband Jay-Z filed a trademark for the names.

The picture showed the 35-year-old mother-of-three and the twins draped in a purple floral sheet, while she wore a blue veil.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40604732

These people...
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
Re: BBC - Beyonce twins: Sir Carter and Rumi pictured for first time
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
If you go all the way to LA or New York . . . its kind of a superficial thing
Learn meditation.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Beyonce has shared the first picture of herself with her twins to celebrate them turning one month old.

The US singer also confirmed they are called Sir Carter and Rumi - which had been rumoured after she and husband Jay-Z filed a trademark for the names.

The picture showed the 35-year-old mother-of-three and the twins draped in a purple floral sheet, while she wore a blue veil.

These people...

I'm not sure you can copyright Rumi.  :-\

Anyway, I'm not a huge of the name "Sir Carter", but I guess it's marginally better than Jamie Oliver naming his kids Daisy Boo and Poppy Honey, David Duchovny naming his son Kyd, or, worst of all, Nick Cage naming his his kid Kal-El and Jermaine Jackson naming one of his Jermajesty.  Those last two take the cake in my book.  If you're enough of a nerd to name your kid Kal-El, you deserve to be tortured with bees.

Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
Ha, one of my friends named his kid Kal-El.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
Ha, one of my friends named his kid Kal-El.

And you're still friends?  ;)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »
Anyway, I'm not a huge of the name "Sir Carter", but I guess it's marginally better than Jamie Oliver naming his kids Daisy Boo and Poppy Honey, David Duchovny naming his son Kyd, or, worst of all, Nick Cage naming his his kid Kal-El and Jermaine Jackson naming one of his Jermajesty.  Those last two take the cake in my book.  If you're enough of a nerd to name your kid Kal-El, you deserve to be tortured with bees.

At least there probably won't be another Kal-El in class, and those kids nerdy enough to know the meaning are more likely to be like 'respect!'. Quite unlike the case of North West and her bro Saint.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:01:21 PM »
I think you can convince most people that it's a Hebrew name.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »

I have heard of people who named a child "Asherah" because it is a biblical name and sounded beautiful to them. 
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Jermajesty

This has always been my favorite one. It deserves to be the biggest, most-eye catching name in this thread.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »

At least there probably won't be another Kal-El in class, and those kids nerdy enough to know the meaning are more likely to be like 'respect!'. Quite unlike the case of North West and her bro Saint.

Naming that beautiful baby "North West" was downright criminal.  Saint isn't too bad compared to the other names in this thread.  Not to mention Jason Leigh naming his kid Pilot and Gwyneth Paltrow and that Coldplay cat naming their kid Apple.

Jermajesty

This has always been my favorite one. It deserves to be the biggest, most-eye catching name in this thread.

It would be awesome for a dog.

How about Reality Winner of whistleblowing fame?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
One couple named their kid Metallica. Another named their kid Lego. Now that second one is a name I can get behind!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
As egregious as these celeb kid names are, I'm not overly thrilled with the trend of non-celebs naming their kids stupid things like Brax, Teigen, Clementine, or anything they mined from the turn of the 19th century.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »
Eh, without Christian names, what do you expect? People are thrown on their own devices and matters quickly become desperate. It's of a piece with the rest of the growing insanity in post-Reformation society.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »
Well observed!
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »
Eh, without Christian names, what do you expect? People are thrown on their own devices and matters quickly become desperate. It's of a piece with the rest of the growing insanity in post-Reformation society.

Meh. Much preferrable to naming every child after their grandparent or whatever.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 05:46:44 PM »

Meh. Much preferrable to naming every child after their grandparent or whatever.

How is it preferable?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »

I disagree.  Much better to have a kid in your family named after his Grandpa than after some character in the gay steampunk graphic novel hipster daddy carries around in the high school backpack he still carries at the age of 27.  The less three-year-olds named Adelaide and Phineas we have toddling around in ironic flannel and intifada scarves in 21st century America, the better.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »

I disagree.  Much better to have a kid in your family named after his Grandpa than after some character in the gay steampunk graphic novel hipster daddy carries around in the high school backpack he still carries at the age of 27.  The less three-year-olds named Adelaide and Phineas we have toddling around in ironic flannel and intifada scarves in 21st century America, the better.

Hey how those are Christian names in Europe.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »

From what I hear, they're rapidly being replaced by names like Ahmed and Bilal. #CharlesMartel  ;)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »

From what I hear, they're rapidly being replaced by names like Ahmed and Bilal. #CharlesMartel  ;)

I mean from Europe. Actually, I don't think Phineas is common in any traditional Christian ethnicity in Europe -- it's more likely to have been popularized by English Puritans when they came up with their rules for naming their children (how the name Hallelujah entered into Parliamentary history). Adelaide, on the other hand, is very traditional in German-speaking countries and comes from a Western saint.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »

I mean from Europe. Actually, I don't think Phineas is common in any traditional Christian ethnicity in Europe -- it's more likely to have been popularized by English Puritans when they came up with their rules for naming their children (how the name Hallelujah entered into Parliamentary history). Adelaide, on the other hand, is very traditional in German-speaking countries and comes from a Western saint.

Oh, so "Hey how" was meant to be "Hey now"?

At any rate, yes, I'm aware that both of those names have their origins with the Christian religion - unlike some of the names I cited in my earlier post - I'm just saying that the whole "Let's find a quirky name!" fad is as irksome as any of the perceived infractions made by celebrities in this thread.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »

At any rate, yes, I'm aware that both of those names have their origins with the Christian religion - unlike some of the names I cited in my earlier post - I'm just saying that the whole "Let's find a quirky name!" fad is as irksome as any of the perceived infractions made by celebrities in this thread.

Right. And the hipsters naming their child Barnabas aren't doing it out of either love of the Saint or to honor the grandfathers and the cycle of generations. So in the end it's just another wind of unrest.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »

Right. And the hipsters naming their child Barnabas aren't doing it out of either love of the Saint or to honor the grandfathers and the cycle of generations. So in the end it's just another wind of unrest.

Agreed.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
My kids have relatively rare names, but they were all chosen for meaning rather than quirk factor.

I've enjoyed the Mickey taking pictures from other mothers of twins looking... less serene.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »

These people...

Oh good. Now I have a reason to live.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »

Naming that beautiful baby "North West" was downright criminal.  Saint isn't too bad compared to the other names in this thread.  Not to mention Jason Leigh naming his kid Pilot and Gwyneth Paltrow and that Coldplay cat naming their kid Apple.

Oh, its worse than just Pilot; his name is Pilot Inspektor. Yes, that is the correct spelling.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
I think Frank Zappa continues to win the prize on weird baby names. I can't imagine calling a cute little baby Moon Unit, Diva Muffin, or Dweezil. I think Ahmet is tame in comparison to those names.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:10:48 PM by Quinault »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
I think Frank Zappa continues to win the prize on weird baby names. I can't imagine calling a cute little baby Moon Unit, Diva Muffin, or Dweezil. I think Ahmet is tame in comparison to those names.

Dweezil is actually Ian Donald Calvin Euclid, and Ahmet was named after a music executive that Frank admired.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »

Oh, its worse than just Pilot; his name is Pilot Inspektor. Yes, that is the correct spelling.

Wow.  It's less a name than a confusing career description.  :-\

+1
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »

Dweezil is actually Ian Donald Calvin Euclid, and Ahmet was named after a music executive that Frank admired.

So what's the explanation for the other two?

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »

He demanded to have his name legally changed to Dweezil once he found out at age 5.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »

The hospitals didn't refuse to have those names used? Because that is the only reason Dweezil legally had a different name for the first 5 years of his life.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »

The hospitals didn't refuse to have those names used? Because that is the only reason Dweezil legally had a different name for the first 5 years of his life.

Ah.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »

Diva apparently earned her name by being insufferably loud. Nothing offered on Moon.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 08:11:15 PM »
In case you were curious, Stormi Bree and Lucky Blue Smith named their daughter Gravity Blue Smith.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »

I have heard of people who named a child "Asherah" because it is a biblical name and sounded beautiful to them.
I've attended a Laodiceia, maybe for the same reason.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)