OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 04:05:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weight Lifting  (Read 8801 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2014, 10:45:36 PM »

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Ferd Berfel

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:55 AM »

That reminds me of Dave Tate's method of gaining weight for supposed "hard gainers". He said that at the end of the day, you should order an extra large pizza with everything on it. Then, open the box and pour half a bottle of olive oil on it. After that, eat the whole pizza.

He said, "If you don't eat the whole pizza, you don't care enough about gaining weight."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2014, 04:03:59 AM »

Arnold Classic results...

1) Dennis Wolf
2) Shawn Rhoden
3) Cedric McMillan
4) Victor Martinez
5) Evan Centopani
6) Branch Warren

I'm glad that, after years of ups and downs, Wolf got a big win. Having said that, the dude had a pretty unsightly gut. I hope this doesn't continue.

But that Kathleen Tesori... cute as a button.

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Ferd Berfel

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2014, 02:27:31 AM »

Dat HGH gut. Lots of modern elite bodybuilders have the HGH gut now. With steroid use becoming more and more prevalent, it's become necessary to use gear to reach that level. Unfortunately, HGH enlarges some of the organs in the abdomen, resulting in big pregnant abs.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2014, 09:17:57 PM »

Be bold!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18346128

Yes, this video is from 2012, but she's fun.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2014, 12:32:48 AM »

Silly Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »

This doesn't make any sense. Why would you go to the gym except to be able to talk about it on the internet?  Huh

Btw, nice story, Biro!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:47 AM »

The noticeable imbalance between my calves has recently started to leave me feeling miserable and frightened. The left one is about 3/8" larger than the right, and there is a shape difference as well. It seems near impossible to make much progress in this area without the help of chemical aids or implants. I bow before you, my fellow oc.netizens, and humbly ask you: what do?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:53:53 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2014, 07:09:18 AM »

Dear Asterikos,

I found the quickest way to improve my body image was to lower my expectations.

Love, elephant

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:11 PM »

Dear Asterikos,

I found the quickest way to improve my body image was to lower my expectations.

Love, elephant

Body dysmorphic disorder can be treated, but it cannot be (completely) cured (in everyone)!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2014, 05:30:34 AM »

"Choose this day whom you will serve! As for me and my house: we will serve the iron!" - Maxims of Solomon 14:5

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2014, 06:58:36 AM »

... My goal is 180...

We have the same goal weight.

How's William coming along?

I got sick and went down to 140. Maybe I'll just stay as a hungry skeleton.

Still working on this?

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2014, 07:43:13 AM »

Yes, but just as I cannot discipline my soul, likewise my body is unrestrained and undisciplined. I did recently download an app, though, called MyFitnessPal, which allows you to have an actual calorie goal and count the calories that you eat throughout the day. I think it's helped, because before I would simply eat as I pleased thinking generally "eat more" without knowing how much was enough. I haven't weighed myself in a while. Last time it was at an appalling 135. I will post in the thread when I have made some real progress.

My goal isn't 180 anymore, though, because 185 is considered too fat to be in the U.S. military for my height range. I'm thinking 160.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:01 AM »

Well good luck! Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2014, 05:46:52 AM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2014, 12:50:24 AM »

I know I've neglected this thread, and some of you have been upset about that. I will try to post here more! For now, here is a pic of Mamdouh Elssbiay, who recently won the NY Pro.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

I know I've neglected this thread, and some of you have been upset about that. I will try to post here more! For now, here is a pic of Mamdouh Elssbiay, who recently won the NY Pro.

Clearly he never skips leg day.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »

NBC Sports to Televise Mr. Olympia Competition. Sort of.

American Media, Inc. (AMI) and NBC Sports Group today announced a partnership to televise the 2014 Mr. Olympia contest on NBCSN. The partnership will feature two 90-minute telecasts of the 50th annual Mr. Olympia where three-time champion Phil Heath will defend his title at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas...

The partnership brings the Mr. Olympia back to TV for the first time since 1984, when Lee Haney won his first of eight titles. NBCSN will televise two 90-minute specials around the event, the first on October 18 at 1:30 p.m. ET and the second on October 25 at 5:30 pm ET...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #247 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »

As I've thought about this I like the idea more and more. The NPC/IFBB have been in the technological stone age for a long while now. Until recently the web presence looked like something out of 2001. They only show broadcasts of the two biggest events they do, and that's a crappy looking stream on the internet. PPV is not financially viable for them, but I never understood why they are just so hopelessly behind the times. I figured they knew that it'd always be a niche thing, and people like me would take what little we got, so why spend more money? Finally they seem to be making some progress though.

And really, two 90 minutes specials seems like the best route. Even for casual fans of bodybuilding--that is, they bodybuild themselves and are casually interested in the pros--watching the competitions can be like watching paint dry. Now make that competition 6 hours long, with 8-10 different classes of participants. Most bodybuilding fans, even the hardcores, don't watch all of it, why would the general public ever care?  Something slick, introducing the people, talking "storylines," etc., and then some clips of the best stuff will work just fine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:28:54 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »

Bodybuilding used to be on TV.  ESPN televised Mr. Olympia competitions in the late 1980's, early 1990's.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »

I've heard it was on, but not specifics of what exactly was shown. I wonder if it was taken off because of drugs, or no one caring. Probably both.  Angry angel

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »

So the movie Pumping Iron. I enjoy it, and get why so many people into weight lifting or bodybuilding like it, especially since there aren't exactly a lot of other films to choose from along the same lines (most of the others are competition DVDs or training DVDs). Having said that, I never understood why bodybuilders think it's some kind of shining beacon that "showed a popular audience what bodybuilding was really about" or some such thing. To me it seems like the worst movie to show your average Joe or Jane, since it reinforces just about every stereotype there is about bodybuilding. For example...

- Bodybuilders are just making up for feelings of inadequacy and inferiority. That's what a lot of the Mike Katz part was about. He got picked on terribly as a kid and he was going to show them! He wasn't a loser like they said he was, just wait and see! So while other kids were having fun at dances he was running and lifting weights. Then he played football and he had to be the biggest and baddest. And so forth throughout his life.

- Bodybuilders are gay. Look, I have nothing wrong with homosexuality, but nothing says 'gay' to most straight American men like standing naked in a shower with another dude and flexing your muscles for each other to admire, like Arnold did in the film.

- Bodybuilders are full of themselves, or only care about themselves. See the interviews with Arnold. Pick any line at random if you like. Admittedly he now says he was playing a character to make the film more interesting, but that doesn't necessarily make things better for the purposes of what I'm arguing in this post. For example, Arnold tells a story in the film about not going home for his Father's funeral because there is a competition a couple months later, and 'he's dead, nothing can be done.' That didn't actually happen, but someone just watching the film wouldn't know that Arnold was fibbing.

- Bodybuilders aren't very smart. Lou Ferrigno and Mike Katz getting tricked and falling prey to mind games so easily doesn't exactly speak well for them (though the Katz thing was staged/contrived). Ferrigno's Dad basically telling him what to do even though he was hardly a bodybuilder or weight lifter also came off poorly (though again staged).

- Bodybuilders are obsessed with their bodies. This comes off especially poorly because a lot of the film, at least for those in California, show them either barely dressed in the gym or barely dressed on the beach. They are shown flexing their muscles in the mirror, or for each other, on the beach, doing photo shoots, etc. It seems like their physiques are nearly everything there is to their identity, taking not only what is seen but also what is said in the movie.

Anyway, guess what movie I have playing in the background?  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2014, 08:24:21 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »

Pro bodybuilder Fouad Abiad grabbing a light breakfast...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2014, 03:16:49 PM »

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »

Be bold!

How many disco balls had to die to make that shirt?  Vanity knows no bounds.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »

Be bold!

How many disco balls had to die to make that shirt?  Vanity knows no bounds.

If only you knew about...  angel 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:39:03 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »

Why is it that after I get on a workout routine for a few weeks, I start to feel achy? Not sore (that is to be expected), but I just start aching everywhere.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »

Huh, I don't know. Achy in the muscles all over? Or even/also somewhat 'deeper,' so to speak, and possibly overtaxing the nervous system?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #258 on: July 01, 2014, 06:19:35 PM »

Toney Freeman in March 2014...

Guy turns 48 in August. I wonder what I'll look like at that age.

I mean, I don't have to be completely realistic with my vision of the future, right?

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »

You could find middle ground and be happy with it.   Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »

I will... hopefully...  Cool

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »

Toney Freeman in March 2014...

Guy turns 48 in August. I wonder what I'll look like at that age.

I mean, I don't have to be completely realistic with my vision of the future, right?
Notice who's got not one but two attractive and attentive girls?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »

But who has forged a lasting and healthy relationship with the iron? It's a difficult choice we all have to make...

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »

But who has forged a lasting and healthy relationship with the iron? It's a difficult choice we all have to make...

The last time I lifted the iron was during a trip to Las Vegas in 2010.  I miss it; however, I started to gain muscle mass and weight towards the end of my workout binge back in 2004.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2014, 12:55:19 AM »

Round is a shape.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, whether the beard thread, or the metal thread, or perhaps the redhead thread. Eventually I decided that a physique like this needed to be showcased in the weight lifting thread, so here it is for your motivational pleasure.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #266 on: Yesterday at 08:21:16 PM »

Don't forget that the first night of the 2014 Mr. Olympia competition is tonight.

http://streaming.bodybuilding.com/2014-olympia-webcast/

Webcast starts at 9:30 EST, so the Men's prejudging should be on by, I dunno, 2am?  Cool

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #267 on: Today at 01:59:00 AM »

You gonna lie and tell me Kai doesn't deserve to win this? I double dog dare you to try.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: