Author Topic: Dogs are smarter than cats, says study  (Read 241 times)

Offline Daniel2:47

• Exploring the Orthodox tradition and seeking Truth
  • Faith: Orthodox - Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain
Dogs are smarter than cats, says study
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »
The debate over whether dogs or cats are the smartest pet has raged for decades, if not centuries. But in a twist that is sure to ruffle the fur of cat-lovers, new research shows that dogs are more intelligent than their feline foes after all.

Experts showed that dogs have more than twice as many brain cells in a region linked with thinking, planning and other complex behaviours. The researchers, from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, say the number of neurons in an animal's cerebral cortex is a hallmark of intelligence. The cortex is the largest layer of the brain and is associated with a range of complex behavioural characteristics.

Researchers found that dogs possess around 530 million cortical neurons, while cats only have around 250 million. By comparison, a human brain houses around 16 billion cortical neurons

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5131945/Dogs-really-smarter-cats-research-suggests.html

Has the age-old debate been settled?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:19:33 AM by Daniel2:47 »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Dogs are smarter than cats, says study
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »

About as much as the debate over male vs female (human) intelligence has.

Dogs being more amenable to human control - hence, 'smarter' because they 'learn to do things for people' - is due a lot more to how they are wired to function in canine society than to numbers and sizes.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »
My cat read this article along with me and does not agree.  She says that having more brain cells is one thing.  Using them is another. :P

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »
Having lived with both animals I have concluded that cats are catter than dogs and dogs are dogger than cats.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »
Coming soon to YouTube Red Originals:

Mittens the Kitten

A re-imagining of Lassie for the YouTube generation (born 2001 to present). In the first episode little Tonya falls down a well left accessible by a negligent landlord, and Mittens spearheads the rescue operations.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:41:56 AM »
Mittens would continue on its merry way.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 01:45:36 AM »
When I was in first grade, the class read a book called Tip and Mitten.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 05:12:21 AM »

That's exactly the type of cat-ist stereotype the producers are trying to fight against! I'm sorry if a cat or kitten hurt you in some way in your life, but to generalize about an entire species like that based on very limited interactions with them is speciesist and I find your comment to be specious at best. First you slam the purrfect white asmr kitty and now this? Are you a dog supremacist or something?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 06:36:02 AM »
Phew reminds me of a foul and disgusting odor.
Learn meditation.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 01:20:15 AM »

That's exactly the type of cat-ist stereotype the producers are trying to fight against! I'm sorry if a cat or kitten hurt you in some way in your life, but to generalize about an entire species like that based on very limited interactions with them is speciesist and I find your comment to be specious at best. First you slam the purrfect white asmr kitty and now this? Are you a dog supremacist or something?

I see you are into Aryan cats.  Figures.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 02:22:57 AM »
The debate over whether dogs or cats are the smartest pet has raged for decades, if not centuries. But in a twist that is sure to ruffle the fur of cat-lovers, new research shows that dogs are more intelligent than their feline foes after all.

Experts showed that dogs have more than twice as many brain cells in a region linked with thinking, planning and other complex behaviours. The researchers, from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, say the number of neurons in an animal's cerebral cortex is a hallmark of intelligence. The cortex is the largest layer of the brain and is associated with a range of complex behavioural characteristics.

Researchers found that dogs possess around 530 million cortical neurons, while cats only have around 250 million. By comparison, a human brain houses around 16 billion cortical neurons

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5131945/Dogs-really-smarter-cats-research-suggests.html

except Dogs eat poo.  Never saw a cat do that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:23:59 AM by CarolS »
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »

except Dogs eat poo.  Never saw a cat do that.

I have.