Author Topic: A rare copy of the Declaration of Independence has been found—in England  (Read 195 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
A rare copy of the Declaration of Independence has been found—in England

A rare second parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence has been found — in England. The discovery was made by Harvard University researchers Emily Sneff and Danielle Allen, according to a university news release published Friday. The pair located the rare document in a records office in Chichester, a city near England’s southern coast...

Sneff and Allen, who work with Harvard’s Declaration Resources Project, had been searching the catalogue for unrelated reasons. At the time, no one knew there was any other parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence besides the original one signed in 1776, kept at the National Archives in Washington...
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
A rare copy of the Declaration of Independence has been found—in England

A rare second parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence has been found — in England. The discovery was made by Harvard University researchers Emily Sneff and Danielle Allen, according to a university news release published Friday. The pair located the rare document in a records office in Chichester, a city near England’s southern coast...

Sneff and Allen, who work with Harvard’s Declaration Resources Project, had been searching the catalogue for unrelated reasons. At the time, no one knew there was any other parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence besides the original one signed in 1776, kept at the National Archives in Washington...
So did the Americans deliver a copy to the British in order to declare their independence from them?

And were Sneff and Allen of the Declaration Project really there for "unrelated" reasons and the archive just "happened" to be the same one that held the Declaration and they totally had no idea that it was there?

;) ::)  ::) ;) ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:51:11 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
The first question is touched on, but not fully answered in the article; the second question is answered in the article (satisfactorily imo).  :P
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
the second question is answered in the article (satisfactorily imo).  :P

It says:
Sneff and Allen, who work with Harvard’s Declaration Resources Project, had been searching the catalogue for unrelated reasons. At the time, no one knew there was any other parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence besides the original one signed in 1776, kept at the National Archives in Washington.

“We had no reason to expect a document like this to exist at all,” Sneff told The Washington Post.

I don't automatically trust that it's just a purely unrelated coincidence that the Harvard Declaration researchers just happened to be in the same archive researching where there just happened to be the unique copy of the Declaration.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
But the researchers weren't in the archive. I would again suggest reading the article  :P

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
That is so funny...I was just watching a documentary of the American revolution from a British perspective yesterday!

PS I'm surprised this document survived inside England...I would imagine there were crumbles and rips from the document by the hand of King George!  But judging by the pic, it looks well tucked away and preserved by the good Duke supposedly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:36:02 AM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
There is a theory that Gen. Howe did not fight hard enough against the rebels because he sympathized with them secretly.
The Washington post article says this copy came from a pro American duke.