OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:30:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayan prophecy: The world won’t end, as a newfound calendar goes on and on and o  (Read 3303 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: May 10, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »

"Mayan prophecy: The world won’t end, as a newfound calendar goes on and on and on" 

Now what are they going to program on Discovery Channel, History,H2, NatGeo etc...Huh?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/mayan-prophecy-the-world-wont-end-as-a-newfound-calendar-goes-on-and-on-and-on/2012/05/10/gIQA03s3FU_story.html?hpid=z3
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »

This is why we were told not to put our trust in "man", but, in the Lord, who will not steer us wrong, and instead of preaching destruction, preaches hope and salvation.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »

This is why we were told not to put our trust in "man", but, in the Lord, who will not steer us wrong, and instead of preaching destruction, preaches hope and salvation.

The Apocalypse as described in the scriptures aren't exactly devoid of destruction.  It probably wouldn't hurt us to think of every year as the last year. 
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

"Mayan prophecy: The world won’t end, as a newfound calendar goes on and on and on"  

This isn't news (in fact its more of an inside joke) to the millions of Mayans who live today in Mexico and Guatemala, only seemingly to the predominantly white, academics of the University culture Wink

Where as Mayans themselves would have kindly told anybody who chose to ask  them rather than imaginative guesses at archaelogical finds that the Mayan calendar is not linear like the Christian calendar, but cyclic, and the end of the Mayan calendar cycles are not an Apocalypse like in the Old World religions, but simply an end of an age, an era, a cycle, only to continue on as ever spinning the cosmic Wheels..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:03:39 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

Well this is just great. I had already started selling my stuff, and stopped paying my bills so I could enjoy earth's last few months in pace. Thanks a lot, Mayans.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Well this is just great. I had already started selling my stuff, and stopped paying my bills so I could enjoy earth's last few months in pace. Thanks a lot, Mayans.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Are you also telling me that my underground bunker full of ammo and canned goods is a mistake?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »

The Apocalypse as described in the scriptures aren't exactly devoid of destruction.  It probably wouldn't hurt us to think of every year as the last year.  

We know not when the bridegroom comes.

I guess I shouldn't have liquidated the 401k and put it all on Union Rags in the Kentucky Derby....... Wink Wink  just kidding....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:12:14 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Are you also telling me that my underground bunker full of ammo and canned goods was a mistake?

Fixed that for ya Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Are you also telling me that my underground bunker full of ammo and canned goods was a mistake?

Fixed that for ya Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Rats.  Cheesy

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:59 PM »

If the Mayans are so great at predicting things, why'd they lose their empire? Stupid Mayans.

(In the interest of full disclosure: I lived next to a trio of elderly Mayan sisters for about 7 years back in California. After my mother passed away, they gave me a pan of condolence flan. Mayans are a-ok by me.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:32:16 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Michael Hyatt is a deacon in the Antiochian Orthodox Church and has a podcast on Ancient Faith Radio. LOL.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 11:44:07 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Michael Hyatt is a deacon in the Antiochian Orthodox Church and has a podcast on Ancient Faith Radio. LOL.
Judging by the first picture of his that came up, he's so full of positive thoughts that's sickening.
According to the wikipaedia he's a "movie actress".
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:46:14 PM by augustin717 » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »

If the Mayans are so great at predicting things, why'd they lose their empire? Stupid Mayans.

(In the interest of full disclosure: I lived next to a trio of elderly Mayan sisters for about 7 years back in California. After my mother passed away, they gave me a pan of condolence flan. Mayans are a-ok by me.)

A) Mayans "Empire" was lost long before the Spanish showed up..

B) They did predict that, and the arrival of those blancos too..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:22:27 AM »

Roll Eyes

I have to say something so that this isn't a low content post...

Why am I not surprised? Sheesh, you're so little fun.

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Yeah, he is actually a deacon at my parish. His wife is a very nice lady. Also, I think he might be the CEO of Lifeway (or used to be)

Edit: There goes my hope of being promoted... I've been joking for a while that I would be promoted December 22, you know, a day too late.

My theory has always been that the reason the Mayan calendar ended December 21 2012 was because the guy making the calendar got tired. I mean he had just made an extensive calendar charting thousands of years. Winter Solstice seemed like a good time to stop and relax a hand cramp.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:53:36 AM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 01:18:18 AM »

Yeah, he is actually a deacon at my parish. His wife is a very nice lady. Also, I think he might be the CEO of Lifeway (or used to be)
So, how is that compatible? Spreading well, baptist dogmas, as it were, left and right for a CEO's paycheck and then being an orthodox clergyman? Not that it really matters, but such leniency , I'm sure, wouldn't be extended to just about anybody.
This alone is worthy of half of the anathemas of the seven oecumenical councils:
http://www.thomasnelson.com/specials/the-american-patriot-s-bible.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:24:53 AM by augustin717 » Logged
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 02:00:21 AM »

So, how is that compatible? Spreading well, baptist dogmas, as it were, left and right for a CEO's paycheck and then being an orthodox clergyman? Not that it really matters, but such leniency , I'm sure, wouldn't be extended to just about anybody.
This alone is worthy of half of the anathemas of the seven oecumenical councils:
http://www.thomasnelson.com/specials/the-american-patriot-s-bible.html

Honestly, I don't know how compatible that is. It appears I was wrong about the LifeWay thing though, he is a chairman for Thomas Nelson. I know many people don't care for the OSB but that is published by Thomas Nelson... so, um yeah.

Perhaps this heralds the end of the world...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »

Now they do need to replace Dick Clark after all.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 12:46:48 AM »

Silly Stars
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »

Let's have some fun and create our own calendar.  Then we can psyche people out by predicting all kinds of stuff. Wink
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »

Let's have some fun and create our own calendar.  Then we can psyche people out by predicting all kinds of stuff. Wink

Let's call it the "Revised Julian" so it seems like we totally re-worked the old Julian calendar to make more sense in today's modern world  Grin

(FYI I do follow the New Calendar, but I thought it would be fun to poke fun at it any ways)

Check out my blog...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »

This isn't news (in fact its more of an inside joke) to the millions of Mayans who live today in Mexico and Guatemala, only seemingly to the predominantly white, academics of the University culture Wink

Um. No. "white, academics of the University culture" have tried their best to refute that nonsense (for example, David Stuart's The Order of Days: The Maya World and the Truth About 2012). Nice try though.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »

At the mention of the date Dec. 21, 2012, many people picture catastrophe -- floods, earthquakes and war. However, the man often referred to as the Mayan Pope, Don Tomás Calvo, suggests a better image to illustrate the end of the Mesoamerican calendar: a serpent swallowing its tail.

"This year of the Oxlajuj B'aktun [5,125-year period] closes on a cycle of time, but opens a new one when we hope peace and mutual respect will prevail," says Calvo. He and the other Elders believe a self-consuming snake symbolizes the upcoming era of the "Sixth Sun," one which brings the past to the present in order to construct a brighter future.

The Elders also say they want to remind the world how important it is to live in harmony with oneself, the ancestors, the Earth, our environment, all living creatures and the greater cosmic order.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »

The Apocalypse as described in the scriptures aren't exactly devoid of destruction.  It probably wouldn't hurt us to think of every year as the last year. 

If I treated every year like it were my last year then I would condemn myself to Orthodox Hell a hundred times over.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »

they progressively dropped that after the world didn't end in the mid-seventies, and the number of people alive in 1917 started to thin out.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »

they progressively dropped that after the world didn't end in the mid-seventies, and the number of people alive in 1917 started to thin out.
I once saw a documentary where one of their leaders claimed that they had never tried to predict the end of the world.
My memory is a little rusty. How many times did they actually predict the end?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »

I am a little worried about what is going to happen among the Protestant community on December 21st. I imagine that we will see mass suicides, job resignations and even disregard for civil laws. What if those Protestants finally go bonkers and attempt to convert everyone and resurrect 1950s conservative America?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 01:52:41 AM »

I am a little worried about what is going to happen among the Protestant community on December 21st. I imagine that we will see mass suicides, job resignations and even disregard for civil laws. What if those Protestants finally go bonkers and attempt to convert everyone and resurrect 1950s conservative America?

Why would Christians be reenacting The Happening over a misconstruing of the Mayan calendar?  Besides, you wouldn't remember Y2K but we've more legitimately went through this before Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 07:30:30 AM »

I think we need to worry more about some of the radical new age groups.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:30:49 AM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »

So basically, all these charlatans who made tons of cash on this "prophecy" are starting to realize their cash cow is about to dry up, so they are now starting in on the excuses to keep the $$$ flowing.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »

So basically, all these charlatans who made tons of cash on this "prophecy" are starting to realize their cash cow is about to dry up, so they are now starting in on the excuses to keep the $$$ flowing.

PP

..makes sense..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

Uh, how many Protestants actually subscribe to this prediction? I'm guessing somewhere around 0%.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Oh, Deacon Hyatt and his snake oil.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:05:28 PM by age234 » Logged
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »

Uh, how many Protestants actually subscribe to this prediction? I'm guessing somewhere around 0%.

Agreed. Anecdotal as it may be, 0% of the Protestants I know buy into this "prophecy".

Come come, James. Protestants can't be the dunce in your script all the time.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 01:07:37 AM »

Classy.

http://bibleandconstitution.com/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:08:07 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »

"The Maya never said anything about the end of the world or anything about a great change in the universe on that date," David Stuart, a professor of Mesoamerican art and writing at the University of Texas at Austin, told The Huffington Post in December 2011. "The calendar not only continues after that date," he said. "It goes 70 octillion years into the future."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:46:25 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 11:26:03 PM »

I once saw a documentary where one of their leaders claimed that they had never tried to predict the end of the world.
My memory is a little rusty. How many times did they actually predict the end?

The former member of Jehovah's Witness Governing Body Raymond Franz gave a great account of this in his book Crisis of Conscience not long before his death. You can read the chapter about the 1914 generation here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/84300150/10/AND-%E2%80%9CTHIS-GENERATION%E2%80%9D

Also extremely informative regarding your specific question is W. Bednarski, Armageddon in 1975: Probability or Possibility? (extensive) http://www.jwfacts.com/pdf/armageddon-in-1975.pdf  

Armageddon was originally, according to Charles Taze Russell, to occur in 1914. When this did not happen, 1914 shifted to the date of the supposed invisible return with Armageddon to take place within the lifetime of the generation of the "faithful eyes" (the Watchtower interpretation of "every eye will see him" (Rev 1:17) is "every faithful eye") which supposedly witnessed it. The Watchtower use to emphasize that those who witnessed the return had to be old enough to rationally comprehend it and that they were at least in their teens in 1914. 1914 is now almost a hundred years ago (teens in 1914 would already be long since dead), and is continuing to -s-t-r-e-t-c-h- the Watchtower's hermeneutical creativity to fascinating limits. As the clock continued ticking numerous clever reinterpretations of the timespan of the "generation" which could not pass away before Armageddon took place, the most recent being a new "two overlapping generations" view, which arrives just in time, so it seems to many faithful Jehovah's Witnesses, to save their paradigmatic day with New Light.

Here is a short outline of some key persons, prophecies, and events, but do read the chapter Raymond Franz, it is much more informative and lively, and do at least skim W. Bednarski.

1896 The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc. is incorporated by Charles Taze Russell (1852– Oct 31, 1916). Russell published Studies in the Scripture (some published posthumously).

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1800s.php

1913: Mrs. Russell brought suit for divorce from her husband on the grounds of "his conceit, egotism, domination, and improper conduct in relation to other women." A large number left the movement as a result of evidence presented during court proceedings.

1914 Russell's predicted date for the battle of Armageddon.Before 1914 the Watchtower Society taught 1914 would be the "end" of the system of things, the conclusion of Armageddon and the start of the earthly paradise. In 1915 the Watchtower adopted it's current claim to have accurately predicted 1914 to be the "start" of the conclusion of this system of things marked by an "Invisible Return" of Jesus Christ.

1916  J.F. “Judge” Rutherford leads the Watchtower Society after Russell’s death. Russell’s doctrines had been largely limited to speculations about the end of time and man’s nature.

1918  Rutherford proclaims the resurrection will take place in 1925 and that "millions now living will never die."

1920 "Millions Now Living Will Never Die," a 128-page booklet  is published, proclaiming "we may expect 1925 to witness the return of these faithful men of Israel [Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob] from the condition of death, being resurrected and fully restored to perfect humanity and made the visible, legal representatives of the new order of things on earth." Millions Now Living Will Never Die p. 88. At this time the general resurrection, Rutherford said, would also take place. People alive at that time could expect to never die.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1800s.php

1924 "The Way to Paradise" is published, emphasizing the pivotal events of 1925.  

"The Bible and "The Bible in Stone" [the pyramid of Giza] give the date 1914: for the beginning of the great change. History proves that the ouster proceedings began promptly on time. Prophecy indicates that 1925-1926 will see the greater part of the ousting completed. All the world's statesmen are dreading the next few years... We should, therefore, expect shortly after 1925 to see the awakening of Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Melchisedec, Job, Moses, Samuel, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, John the Baptist, and others mentioned in the eleventh chapter of Hebrews... No doubt many boys and girls who read this book will live to see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Daniel, and those other men of old come forth in the glory of their better resurrection, of perfect in mind and body. It will not take long for Christ to appoint them to their post of honor and authority as his earthly representatives. The world and all the present conveniences will seen strange to them at first, but they will soon become accustomed to the new methods. They may have some amusing experiences at first; for they never saw telephones, radios, automobiles, electric lights, aeroplanes, steam engines, and many other things so familiar to us" (The Way to Paradise (1924) pp.p.171, 224, 226).

"Seventy times 50 [Jubilee years] are 3,500. The whole period would therefore have been 3,500 years from the time the Jews entered Canaan until all the types would have been fulfilled. As they entered Canaan 1,575 years before Christ there would be 1,925 years of types after Christ, or 1925 A. D"( ibid, p.223).

Undertakers would be out of jobs "Some of them used to be undertakers; but since there are no more people dying, they have had to seek some new occupation. Their experience as undertakers prepared them to become decorators with very little difficulty" (ibid, p.228).

1926: Beth Sarin is constructed.

1931 Name “Jehovah’s Witnesses” is adopted.

1942 a drastic turn.

1975?

2012??????

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:56:27 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »

The shorthand has got the world’s attention.  This Friday marks the end of a 5,000-year cycle in the Mayan calendar.  Twist and reduce that a little further and you get the “Mayan apocalypse.”  Further still and you get the “end of the world.”

Before we all run screaming from the end times, maybe this is a good time to learn a little more, for real, about the Maya and their calendars.  Scholars who know roll their eyes at the “end times” talk.  It’s just an odometer rolling over, they say.  The Maya would laugh.

This hour, On Point:  the real cosmology of the ancient Maya versus pop culture’s “Mayan apocalypse.”

The Maya-calypse will not be televised.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »

The Mayans just called me on the stone-o-phone and informed me that 2012 was the End of the World but clarified things a bit.  See, that rotten film 2012 with John Cusack in it that had way to much stupid plot and poor character development and too little in the way of awesome special effects was pretty much the end of American cinema being worth seeing.  See, to the Ancient Mayans, cinema WAS life.  Good films are really what it is all about and 2012 the film, not the year, was pretty much the end of the world of American cinema.  We have now passed on the torch to the French, Chinese, and Finns who are still making some pretty good flicks.  The Mayans, being from the Western hemisphere, could not bring themselves to pass on the flame to these Eastern Hemisphere upstarts so decided after seeing the preview to 2012 (and accurately predicting that it would be a load of hogwash) that it was time to end their culture and put themselves out of their own misery, pretty much in the way Mel Gibson describes in Apoctalypto. 
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »

Silly Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

That picture took an arrow to the knee and stopped adventuring a year and a half ago  Tongue

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »

Lol, touche

Silly Stars
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: