OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:47:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Village by M. Night Shyamalan  (Read 76 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: January 05, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »

**** Spoiler Alert****

I realize it's not that great of a movie, but I've loved it ever since it's release years ago.  First, the soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful with world renowned violinist Hilary Hahn.  Sometimes, a films' score doesn't always match or help create the mood, but for me, Hilary's violin more than does the job.

Second, all of the actors and actresses really do a wonderful job; Joaqim Phoenix, Adrien Brody, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, and Dallas Bryce Howard just to name a few.  

Third, the idea of a group of like-minded individuals who have who have all faced personal traumas and tragedies, decide to leave society and create their own utopia.  In order for their planned society to continue, they must use fear to keep the members of the community from wandering from the village they've created and thus ruining their utopia.  But tragedy ends up befalling the village and it's almost ruined.  It resembles another Gothic work by Edgar Allan Poe called "The Masque of the Red Death." in which a wealthy prince tries to escape the "Red Death" (a type of plague) by enclosing himself off in his castle and throwing a masquerade ball for other wealthy nobles.  In the end, the red death kills him.

I also liked the period costumes the elders adopt for their planned utopian village.  The time is in the 1970's but they adopt the clothes and speech of what they thought the 1870's were like.

Any body else like The Village or have any other insight they'd like to add?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:30:26 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »

Here's the entire score, broken down by individual song, from The Village.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjwHY_5nfk

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: