Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons as Therapy  (Read 153 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Dungeons & Dragons as Therapy
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:07:14 AM »
You read that right, Dungeons & Dragons isn’t just an awesome game, it can also be used in a therapeutic manner to help teens learn social skills. Dr. Raffael Boccamazzo, the Clinical Director of Take This, uses D&D to help teens who are struggling to adapt solid social skills learn those tough-to-teach aspects of socialization like appropriate communication, forming friendships, empathy, and other social nuances. He recently explained how he uses D&D in therapy on the official Dungeons & Dragons podcast, and it’s completely fascinating.

http://geekandsundry.com/dungeons-dragons-as-therapy/
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Dungeons & Dragons as Therapy
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 05:08:26 AM »
And here is a therapist saying essentially the same thing back in 1980, before 'Satanic Panic' tried to ruin it for everyone.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline benjohn146

• Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
Re: Dungeons & Dragons as Therapy
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »
I agree. D & D was my social circle when I was a teen. Most of my friends that I met was because of this game. For those who have the Faith, these social connections should be made at Church and not rely on RPG's of course. But for those who haven't heard the Gospel, I think that playing moderatly to RPG can be a good starter to build social skills.

It is not cure, only a primer in social skills towards something else in my opinion.
St Makarios, pray for us.