OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:34:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a husband…  (Read 10772 times) Average Rating: 0
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2012, 03:57:05 PM »

Yes, I am a J, A. DZH is an orthographic concern (DZ would make me Polish, though it's a common enough interpretation, since English is not big on digraphs...or is it? Smiley), though I'll answer to just about anything that approximates DZH, J, etc. Glad to know you'll go by ZZ, as A is not too hard to remember, but it might get confusing around here if we start treating our usernames as decoder rings for anything other than having fun with initialisms, YKWIM?

I have an idear as to what your name is supposing I am pronouncing dzheremi correctly.  I did in fact LOL the first time I noticed this.

This is getting really intense!

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »

It's not a big secret or anything. I just chose this out of habit, as it is the name I posted under on Catholic Answers Forum before I came here, since they have so many people there that my name was already taken. I figured they probably didn't have too many East Slavic speakers there, and at the time I still spoke Russian relatively fluently (can't say I do so now, sadly), so it seemed a natural fit. Here it seems almost useless, but oh well...teper' uzhe pozdno...  Roll Eyes

I'm glad you kept the same username, DZH. I was on CAF (lurktastically) before I came here and I was all, "Hey, I know him!"  Grin

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

Ruh-roh...now I'm in trouble. angel

Back to finding Ergib a husband, eh...!  Wink

Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2012, 04:15:38 PM »

Back to finding Ergib a husband, eh...!  Wink

Yes, please do focus! lol
Ergib

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »

In searching for OO husband, I  found copticmatch.com Grin
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »

Hahaha. I asked a Coptic priest about that site once and he said "I've never heard of it, but stay away from it. The Church is not a dating service, so I can't imagine that it is blessed by any bishop."

Even the church is against me! Cheesy (Seriously, though, the priest's words are something to think about.)

Ergib

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

Hahaha. I asked a Coptic priest about that site once and he said "I've never heard of it, but stay away from it. The Church is not a dating service, so I can't imagine that it is blessed by any bishop."

Even the church is against me! Cheesy (Seriously, though, the priest's words are something to think about.)

Cry I was so excited when I found the site. I guess I will just have my Spiritual father find me an old man! Cry Cry
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

Aw. Well, I meant that you should ask your spiritual father about the site (and show it to him, if he doesn't know it) before becoming too excited or signing up, but okay. It's better to follow your spiritual father's advice in this search anyway. And do not despair! God gave a child to Sarah, no doubt he can give a husband to a good woman such as yourself! Smiley

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

Honestly, I would not worry about it.  "The Church is not a dating service" is a particularly stupid way to answer this since it is not the Church providing the dating service.  What is next, am I going to need a Bishop's blessing or have to run to a "spiritual father" to write an email to someone?  Things here are taken to the point of ridiculousness.  Check it out, meet some people, and THEN if you think that you have to get a blessing from someone (and that may well be appropriate at that point) then do so.  I think that you have a good point of view there, Ergib, and it is one that I told my son.  If the priest is NOT going to find you a husband, then he should pretty well stay out of your business as you go about finding one.  The quote that comes to mind is this: "But He said: Woe to you lawyers also, because you load men with burdens which they cannot bear, and you yourselves touch not the packs with one of your fingers."

Cry I was so excited when I found the site. I guess I will just have my Spiritual father find me an old man! Cry Cry

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

Aw. Well, I meant that you should ask your spiritual father about the site (and show it to him, if he doesn't know it) before becoming too excited or signing up, but okay. It's better to follow your spiritual father's advice in this search anyway. And do not despair! God gave a child to Sarah, no doubt he can give a husband to a good woman such as yourself! Smiley

I don't know if I should have chicken or pork for dinner tonight and my spiritual father still hasn't replied to my email even though it's 5:30. Should I just pick one and hope it is right or go without dinner to be safe?

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

She is so sexy when she is disgusted (and any other time).

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »

She cracks me up. I am a huge 30 Rock fan.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »

Banned for being a 30 Rock fan.  Oops, wrong thread. Undecided
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »

What?! Ban you! That show is amazing.

I'm sorry, Ergib, haha.

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »

I'm sorry, Ergib, haha.

It's pretty unfunny. And, while this fad seems to have passed, I am tired of people trying to convince me that Tina Fey is a hot woman.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »

And, while this fad seems to have passed, I am tired of people trying to convince me that Tina Fey is a hot woman.

This conclusively demonstrates that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to women, and thus you can no longer talk about the subject on this forum.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2012, 08:48:36 PM »

And, while this fad seems to have passed, I am tired of people trying to convince me that Tina Fey is a hot woman.

This conclusively demonstrates that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to women, and thus you can no longer talk about the subject on this forum.

crossthread points

I'm going to need this.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »

I'm sorry, Ergib, haha.

It's pretty unfunny. And, while this fad seems to have passed, I am tired of people trying to convince me that Tina Fey is a hot woman.

No accounting for taste I guess. Wink

ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:53 PM »

Honestly, I would not worry about it.  "The Church is not a dating service" is a particularly stupid way to answer this since it is not the Church providing the dating service.  What is next, am I going to need a Bishop's blessing or have to run to a "spiritual father" to write an email to someone?  Things here are taken to the point of ridiculousness.  Check it out, meet some people, and THEN if you think that you have to get a blessing from someone (and that may well be appropriate at that point) then do so.  I think that you have a good point of view there, Ergib, and it is one that I told my son.  If the priest is NOT going to find you a husband, then he should pretty well stay out of your business as you go about finding one.  The quote that comes to mind is this: "But He said: Woe to you lawyers also, because you load men with burdens which they cannot bear, and you yourselves touch not the packs with one of your fingers."

Awaiting akimori makoto's response to that. Tongue

Though I must admit, I have found a couple of Orthodox dating sites out of curiosity.

I haven't joined them, though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:22:22 PM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »

I'm sorry, Ergib, haha.

I'm so sorry.  When did you first realize that you were gay?

Wink

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:15 PM »

Honestly, I would not worry about it.  "The Church is not a dating service" is a particularly stupid way to answer this since it is not the Church providing the dating service.  What is next, am I going to need a Bishop's blessing or have to run to a "spiritual father" to write an email to someone?  Things here are taken to the point of ridiculousness.  Check it out, meet some people, and THEN if you think that you have to get a blessing from someone (and that may well be appropriate at that point) then do so.  I think that you have a good point of view there, Ergib, and it is one that I told my son.  If the priest is NOT going to find you a husband, then he should pretty well stay out of your business as you go about finding one.  The quote that comes to mind is this: "But He said: Woe to you lawyers also, because you load men with burdens which they cannot bear, and you yourselves touch not the packs with one of your fingers."

Though I must admit, I have found a couple of Orthodox dating sites out of curiosity.

Don't worry.  I don't think that Jesus had Akimori or Sauron in mind when He said that.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2012, 12:00:01 AM »

Please keep in mind that this is a bell curve, not a linear scale.

Also keep in mind you are making some assumptions and have not provided the appropriate stipulations. Seems a bit surprising to me.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2012, 12:12:37 AM »

Hahaha. I asked a Coptic priest about that site once and he said "I've never heard of it, but stay away from it."
Classic quote.  Grin

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2012, 12:16:20 AM »

Agreed, Sauron has lost his "rating babes" privileges.  He retains his "rating shows" privileges. 
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »

Care to share these sites with us?  I am interested by this plural case that you are using.  I would like to state that as the "OC.net Dating Site Guru" I know almost every site out there but only knew of one Orthodox site.
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »

Care to share these sites with us?  I am interested by this plural case that you are using.  I would like to state that as the "OC.net Dating Site Guru" I know almost every site out there but only knew of one Orthodox site.

Here are what I could find:

http://www.orthodoxchristiandating.com/connect/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orthodox-Christian-Singles/266833854444
http://orthodoxsingles.tripod.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox_singles/
http://orthodox-single.livejournal.com/

Some are better than others, of course, and there are websites that are specifically set up to date people of a specific nationality (Greek, Russian, Ukrainian, etc.) where Orthodoxy is a major religion that turn up in these searches as well.

Also of interest would be this OCA.org handbook on Pan-Orthodox Christian Singles meetup (in the Baltimore-DC area): http://oca.org/resource-handbook/parishdevelopment/the-pan-orthodox-christian-singles-of-the-baltimore-washington-dc-area

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:47 AM »

Some are better than others, of course, and there are websites that are specifically set up to date people of a specific nationality (Greek, Russian, Ukrainian, etc.) where Orthodoxy is a major religion that turn up in these searches as well.

Also of interest would be this OCA.org handbook on Pan-Orthodox Christian Singles meetup (in the Baltimore-DC area): http://oca.org/resource-handbook/parishdevelopment/the-pan-orthodox-christian-singles-of-the-baltimore-washington-dc-area

Ok, I knew the first one.  I have had nothing but scam artists on there.  I am looking at the singles meet up webpage right now.  It's a good idea.
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2012, 12:59:02 AM »

Care to share these sites with us?  I am interested by this plural case that you are using.  I would like to state that as the "OC.net Dating Site Guru" I know almost every site out there but only knew of one Orthodox site.

Ok, I knew the first one.  I have had nothing but scam artists on there.  I am looking at the singles meet up webpage right now.  It's a good idea.

I would need to join a bigger church for one of those. The church I attend is full of people who are either too old, too young, or already married.

But I definitely think it's a good idea.

The Facebook site looks fairly legit, but I don't know how useful it would be.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:05:36 AM by ironchapman » Logged

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2012, 12:59:33 AM »

Honestly, I would not worry about it.  "The Church is not a dating service" is a particularly stupid way to answer this since it is not the Church providing the dating service.

Forgive me, but I think that is the point that Father was trying to make, i.e., it's just a regular dating website called "Coptic Date". It's not connected to the Church in any way, so don't take its name to mean much. At least that's how I took it.  

What is next, am I going to need a Bishop's blessing or have to run to a "spiritual father" to write an email to someone?  Things here are taken to the point of ridiculousness.

I agree; you did take that to a ridiculous point just now. Smiley

There are also probably cultural reasons for this attitude. None of the Copts I've known are very warm towards things like western dating, on or off the internet (they say it's not taken seriously). From what little I've been able to tell (one deacon has gotten engaged since I've been here), they still do things the super old-fashioned way: going back home to Egypt to find someone there via their family contacts, or carrying that mindset over here and proposing to girls from church, then using the year-long engagement period as the "getting to know you" period. What can I say? It's FOB-ish, but it makes sense when you consider the stakes, since there really is no divorce in the COC except for adultery.  

Coptic Dating Grin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:13:33 AM by dzheremi » Logged

ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2012, 01:24:31 AM »

Ok, I knew the first one.  I have had nothing but scam artists on there.  I am looking at the singles meet up webpage right now.  It's a good idea.

Also, bigger churches usually have some sort of outreach programs to help young adults and singles. Here's one for the Atlanta area: http://www.atlgoc.org/ministries/parish-ministires/youth-organizations/youth-organizations.html (why it's listed as "youth" I don't know)

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2012, 01:55:27 AM »

Agreed, Sauron has lost his "rating babes" privileges.  He retains his "rating shows" privileges. 

shoot, i think that, not only has he lost his "rating babes" privileges, he also loses his  "rating guys" privileges. Beauty is beauty after all...

Tongue

SCREW BON JOVI!
Ergib

« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »

Aw. Well, I meant that you should ask your spiritual father about the site (and show it to him, if he doesn't know it)

I can just picture his reaction.….I will be on the floor laughing   Cheesy
Ergib

« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »

I don't know if I should have chicken or pork for dinner tonight and my spiritual father still hasn't replied to my email even though it's 5:30. Should I just pick one and hope it is right or go without dinner to be safe?

Silly  Smiley
Ergib

« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2012, 10:22:09 AM »

There are also probably cultural reasons for this attitude. None of the Copts I've known are very warm towards things like western dating, on or off the internet (they say it's not taken seriously). From what little I've been able to tell (one deacon has gotten engaged since I've been here), they still do things the super old-fashioned way: going back home to Egypt to find someone there via their family contacts, or carrying that mindset over here and proposing to girls from church, then using the year-long engagement period as the "getting to know you" period. What can I say? It's FOB-ish, but it makes sense when you consider the stakes, since there really is no divorce in the COC except for adultery.  

Coptic Dating Grin
Dating/marriage in Tewahedo is similar to Copts...some (if not most) go back home to marry someone they know by photo through family or spiritual fathers.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »

Wow, you really have allowed yourself to become feminized, huh?

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »

The emasculators got their hook into you, too? Woe.

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »

Silly  Smiley

Yes, it is silly, which is the point I was making. (and I believe Punch as well) The business on this forum of "ask your spiritual father" for every little thing is ridiculous.

Should I ask Mary or Jane to the school dance? Ask your spiritual father.

Pleats or flat-front? Ask your spiritual father.

Coke or Pepsi? Definitely ask your spiritual father.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »

Negative.  It is the part that they would have took that it interested in Tina Fey.  I assure you, it's not my heart, mind, or soul.   Wink
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »

Silly  Smiley

Yes, it is silly, which is the point I was making. (and I believe Punch as well) The business on this forum of "ask your spiritual father" for every little thing is ridiculous.

Why would you need to ask your spiritual father about pleats or flat fronts?  There already is a canon forbidding pleats unless the article of clothing in question is a kilt or a cute skirt.  On pants it is forbidden.

(If my spiritual father were to answer the other two questions it would probably go something like this: 1 - Both.  Whichever one says yes.  3 - Slivovitz.)
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »

Negative.  It is the part that they would have took that it interested in Tina Fey.  I assure you, it's not my heart, mind, or soul.   Wink

the whole "Tina Fey is hot" thing (which seems to have died down) was all about making it easier for women to get dates. Women think if they can call a dowdy woman hot, men will believe it. Well, that doesn't work.

Don't believe me? Ask women if they think Kim or Kourtney Kardashian is better looking. You had better be wearing canvas clothing, because the claws will come out.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

the whole "Tina Fey is hot" thing (which seems to have died down) was all about making it easier for women to get dates. Women think if they can call a dowdy woman hot, men will believe it. Well, that doesn't work.

Don't believe me? Ask women if they think Kim or Kourtney Kardashian is better looking. You had better be wearing canvas clothing, because the claws will come out.

Kim is definitely better looking than Kourtney. Kourtney isn't ugly either, though.

Ergib

« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

Silly  Smiley

Lord have mercy! My view is a mixture of yours, Punch's and dzheremi’s. Now I’m so confused! I removed my photos form OrthodoxChristianDating.com and didn’t sign-up at Copticmatch.com

Going to pray for clarification…
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »

A few years ago here in the DC metro area they started an Orthodox Singles group. At the first get together they were over run by attendance. Hundreds of people showed up.

They go on day trips, have mixers, BBQ's, dances etc. Several marriages have resulted.  

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »

Silly  Smiley

Lord have mercy! My view is a mixture of yours, Punch's and dzheremi’s. Now I’m so confused! I removed my photos form OrthodoxChristianDating.com and didn’t sign-up at Copticmatch.com

Going to pray for clarification…

Egrib, this probably is going to be the most confusing thing you ever do in your life, so accept that and account for it.  Just sign up for the sites.  Give them a try.  You aren't committing to anything right away, and God knows whoever you meet isn't going to commit right away (I found this out...again...last night) so just spend some time, get to know the blokes, and if something develops, great.  If not, move on.

(And for what it's worth, I've still been praying for you!)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: