OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:31:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a husband…  (Read 11857 times) Average Rating: 0
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

Faith: Orthodox

« on: May 09, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

Where do good Christians meet?  angel
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »

Church?

If not there, at the chariot races!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

Try online dating site that is set toward christian. I know lots of Jews use a match maker but I don't think you all have such things
Ergib

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

Try online dating site that is set toward christian. I know lots of Jews use a match maker but I don't think you all have such things

Which one?....there are so many of them.
Ergib

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

Church?

I never heard anyone OC say that he/she met his/her spouse at church. There is a great chance of meeting a future mate by becoming a Sunday school member, but I don’t want to join for the wrong reason. Wanna see if there are other options…
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »

Church would seem to be a good place to start...but you and I both know that the likelihood of there being another single Orthodox Christian at church under the age of 40 is akin to the Mormons being right afterall.

There is an Orthodox Christian dating site and it is great if you are interested in scam artists.  Otherwise, probably not worth the effort.  (Not joking, I have met three wonderful ladies on there, all of them daughters of Nigerian generals looking for a safe bank account to store their fathers' millions in until the civil unrest cools down...)

If you live in a larger city you might try one of the mainstream dating sites, just when you search put "Orthodox" in one of the keywords (Match.com) or like on Christian Mingle you can sort based on denomination and oddly enough, the second largest denomination in the world is on there!  If you live in a small or medium sized area, you are probably out of luck.  (I got three pages of matches when I set the search range to 500 miles.  100 miles = zilch.)

Otherwise, you might ask your priest if he has any suggestions or if he knows anyone.  Mine told me to loose weight and wash my face/shave, which was some pretty good advice!  He didn't know anyone looking, though.

Honestly, the best suggestion I have for you is to say an Akathist to the Theotokos and hope for the best.  That's what I have been trying.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »

Are there mail order husbands?  Not that I recommend this option.

I was going to suggest that we get married and kill two birds with one stone.  Then I realized we live in the same town, and that might be creepy.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »

Which one?....there are so many of them.
I would choose one that has the most members in your area like if your from the Us then one that has most Us members but Just cause people join these sites they may not be as christian as they claim to be but you may have to do some weeding out. I would of suggest me but I'm not christian so  that leaves me out lol  Grin I hope G-d leads you to the right person
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »

Church?

I never heard anyone OC say that he/she met his/her spouse at church. There is a great chance of meeting a future mate by becoming a Sunday school member, but I don’t want to join for the wrong reason. Wanna see if there are other options…

I met my wife at church.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
crux_84

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »

Would it be inappropriate to use orthodoxchristianity.net post seeking a spouse cus I could really use one too -like one in her 20s -early/mid 30s who likes travel and ...austerity.But not sexual austerity..shuttin up now...

"The Christian punx are the society of St. John the Forerunner."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »

Church?

I have heard of Orthodox Christians who have met online through posting and sending Private Messages at Orthodox forums, but I have also heard of Orthodox Christians who have met their future spouse at Inquiry classes (either attending as an inquirer/catechumen or an interested parishioner), Orthodox Bible Studies, or volunteering at an Orthodox Christian summer camp.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:07:34 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:32:52 PM »

This has got me thinking maybe I'll make an Orthodox Match Maker site where people can answer questions and what not and the staff can match them up. In the Jewish circles Match makers can make up to around 2,000 a match that leads to a marriage as most couples tip the match maker. So I guess I'm really asking if this would be something that the singles in the Orthodox would like to see leave me some feed back as I check around for a dome names
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »

This has got me thinking maybe I'll make an Orthodox Match Maker site where people can answer questions and what not and the staff can match them up. In the Jewish circles Match makers can make up to around 2,000 a match that leads to a marriage as most couples tip the match maker. So I guess I'm really asking if this would be something that the singles in the Orthodox would like to see leave me some feed back as I check around for a dome names

A lot of priests recommend that young men and women in the parish attend the Bible Study or Inquiry Class. He is also very careful to tell members of the parish not to volunteer to be a godfather/godmother if they have any romantic inclinations toward any of the inquirers/catechumens.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »

Church?

I have heard of Orthodox Christians who have met online through posting and sending Private Messages at Orthodox forums, but I have also heard of Orthodox Christians who have met their future spouse at Inquiry classes (either attending as an inquirer/catechumen or an interested parishioner), Orthodox Bible Studies, or volunteering at an Orthodox Christian summer camp.  

To meet another volunteer, right?   police
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »

Church?

Of course. Girls learn that certain guys are volunteering, and so they likewise volunteer.
Years ago, my son volunteered and said that the odds for guys were quite good.

However, my son found his future wife when he attended the Greek Orthodox Summer Camp at the tender age of 12/13. It was love at first sight as they danced the night away. He celebrated his thirteenth birthday while at camp ... so the campers tossed him into the pool.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »

Church?

Of course. Girls learn that certain guys are volunteering, and so they likewise volunteer.
Years ago, my son volunteered and said that the odds for guys were quite good.

However, my son found his future wife when he attended the Greek Orthodox Summer Camp at the tender age of 12/13. It was love at first sight as they danced the night away. He celebrated his thirteenth birthday while at camp ... so the campers tossed him into the pool.

Hmm.  Do the Serbs have a summer camp?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »

I don't have that much money, but I'd tip you a grand for a wife!

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 03:28:22 AM »

There is a huge Orthodox event in a village of Grabarka. There is a monastery in there that is visited by several thousands of people during Transfiguration. There is a labour camp organised in there by the Orthodox Youth Organisation where they help the nuns to organise everything. I've heard opinions that if you really need to find a spouse (for example you are graduating the Seminary) you should took part in that camp.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 04:24:01 AM »

labour camp

Meeting in the Gulag!  How romantic! 
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 04:47:20 AM »

labour camp

Meeting in the Gulag!  How romantic!  

LOL. I didn't know how to translate it. It's a typical youth camp but all participants are obliged to work in favor of the organisers.

These are pictures from 2009: http://www.cerkiew.pl/index.php?id=fotoreportaze&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=11551&cHash=a3c4a6a43c

(click 'następne' for the next one)

and from 2008: http://www.cerkiew.pl/index.php?id=fotoreportaze&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=9492&cHash=fa1a3caac9

They don't look oppressed (heavily).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:52:26 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »

It is hard to say it in English with just a single word.  They have a camp every summer where the participants help out the nuns with work around the monastery.   

It is circumstances like these that make my work interesting.  It is fun to argue with my editor over such slight mistranslations. 
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 05:03:53 AM »

It is hard to say it in English with just a single word.  They have a camp every summer where the participants help out the nuns with work around the monastery.  

Actually there are a few of them organised each year (periodically or one time) in different places. The Grabarka one is the most known and popular.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:04:39 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »

It is hard to say it in English with just a single word.  They have a camp every summer where the participants help out the nuns with work around the monastery.   

Actually there are a few of them organised each year (periodically or one time) in different places. The Grabarka one is the most known and popular.

Cool.  I enjoyed looking through the pictures.  Next time I visit Poland, I really have to make it more of a point to see some of the Orthodox culture there.  My last trip was devoted to seeing drunken English stag weekenders / Krakow and sorting out visa issues at the Ukrainian consulate.  And my relatives keep complaining that I live so close and never visit...sigh a week with relatives in Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski isn't exactly my dream vacation. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:20:12 AM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 05:22:29 AM »

Kraków has a nice Church with a friendly priest in a tenement house at the Old Town (5 minutes walk from Sukiennice).
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 05:25:01 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Now can you make it easier for Ukrainian citizens to get a Polish visa Smiley
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 05:32:33 AM »

I could issue for you a visa invitation if you don't have any option to get one Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:32:50 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:29 AM »

I hadn't even thought of going the personal invitation route.   I'll have to look into this.  Between my US passport and my wife's Ukrainian passport, the only neighboring country we can both visit without a visa is Moldova.  It is a nice place to visit, but we've already been there plenty of times.   
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 06:42:35 AM »

Send me a PM

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »

So, whatever happened to OrthodoxCircle social networking site?
I definitely picked up a 'let's get together' aspect on it, especially when such an old, staid (boring) married guy such as I began receiving unsolicited PM's there from single Orthodox ladies asking questions of a searching nature.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ergib

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »

There is an Orthodox Christian dating site and it is great if you are interested in scam artists.  Otherwise, probably not worth the effort.  (Not joking, I have met three wonderful ladies on there, all of them daughters of Nigerian generals looking for a safe bank account to store their fathers' millions in until the civil unrest cools down...)

Talking about scam artist, I tried Match.com and this Russian OC guy kept asking me if I was a US citizen! If I was, he was gonna marry me. lol
Ergib

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »

Send me a PM

Little too old for you Wink
Ergib

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »

Church?

I met my wife at church.

-Nick

Did you meet her through your confessional father or are you an active member at your church?
Ergib

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »

Good luck in finding enough OC to join your site Smiley

I’m a little curious…why you are here at a Christian site??
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »

Send me a PM

Not for me!   Wink

Yeah, I'm not going to say anything good about Match.com...  It's where trolls go to reproduce.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »

A grand you say? I'll do it for 800.  Wink

ETA: By which I mean I will bounty hunt one down for you. Intravenous coffee commencing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:53:57 AM by ZealousZeal » Logged

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Ergib

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »

Send me a PM

Not for me!   Wink

Yeah, I'm not going to say anything good about Match.com...  It's where trolls go to reproduce.

Just did Grin
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

How do you look? The best way for a woman to find a man is to be pretty and in shape. (not obese)

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »

And I would throw in another grand or so . . . and maybe some cattle or alpacas.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:08:08 AM by Punch » Logged

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Ergib

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »

How do you look? The best way for a woman to find a man is to be pretty and in shape. (not obese)

lol. 5’2”, 110lb

You are right, but I’m fit and beautiful. I also don’t have a problem meeting men. It is just so hard finding the true OC and attractive guy.
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »

lol. 5’2”, 110lb

You are right, but I’m fit and beautiful. I also don’t have a problem meeting men. It is just so hard finding the true OC and attractive guy.

Post a picture of your face. You can block out your eyes with a black bar if you want. Lots of women have nice figures, but that is not what keeps them off the cover of Vogue.

You also may wish to review this recent blog post and make sure it doesn't apply to you:
http://dalrock.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/women-should-reduce-their-expectations-of-courtship/
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »

Or me, but I'm more conveniently located.  Your turn.

A grand you say? I'll do it for 800.  Wink

Is that a special Vamrat rate, or is it across the board?  Similarly, what ancillary rates apply?  My Orthodox matchmakers have been excellent in providing potential brides... who live across very large bodies of salty water.

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »

What are those?  Sorry, spent to much time on another thread.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »

Only at akathists!
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »

Where do good Christians meet?  angel
Only at akathists!
And monastic retreats or pilgrimages.  angel
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:24:07 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: