OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 12:55:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church tells man-hungry women to lower standards  (Read 10884 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »

You keep referring to "child bearing" age.  Is that all that women are good for in your eyes?

No, but it is an important factor. Believe it or not, most people marry, in part, for procreation. As a consequence, most men wish for their wives to be fertile.

Ok...you are now talking in circles.

So, if the woman is no longer of child bearing age....why do you worry and state that men have to come to her rescue?
because said women act as if they have to.  Of course, now they are just going to the sperm bank instead of treating a mate as one.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

You keep referring to "child bearing" age.  Is that all that women are good for in your eyes?

No, but it is an important factor. Believe it or not, most people marry, in part, for procreation. As a consequence, most men wish for their wives to be fertile.

So, if the woman is no longer of child bearing age....why do you worry and state that men have to come to her rescue?
because said women act as if they have to.  Of course, now they are just going to the sperm bank instead of treating a mate as one.

Sperm banks are proof that liberals accept the truth that intelligence and other behavioral traits are genetic. They always want the seed from Ivy League, Mensa member, high-powered executives. No one wants the stuff from a high-school dropout career felon.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »

Damn, Isa, after reading your story, even I want to fix you up with somebody nice! What a ridiculous, sad, and depressing situation. It is a shame how the good go unappreciated. At least you are raising your kids right.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »

So a woman's life has been wasted if she didn't have a baby, is that it?

....and now that her biological clock has run out, she needs to be rescued.

Rescued from what?

No one said anything of the sort. I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear in light of your situation. There is no need for ὑστερικός. (good pun by me)

My "situation"?  Seriously?  I think you are pushing the boundaries of propriety here.

I am not in a "situation".

I think you need to step back and take a look how you are acting.

ὑστερικός  really?  You are so rude....no wonder you seem to have issues with the women.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:12:15 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »

How long until this thread gets locked?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »

What we truly look for in a man is someone we can trust. 

I doubt that.

...then you don't really know women.

Really?  How so?

I will break it down for you. Stop me when it starts to sound familiar.

In the West, women now spend their twenties and thirties pursuing careers, going their own way, and generally saying "look at me, I got moxie and I'm going places". Well, these years also happen to be when women are the most physically attractive and when they are in their best child-bearing years.

Suddenly, in the early to mid-30s, there is a mad dash to catch a man. (the fish needs a bicycle after all). Unfortunately for them, the good men are largely off the market because they have chosen the women who decided not to squander the looks and fertility of their most marriageable years on an important career in social work or human resources. Meanwhile, our modern women have said, "I will marry after I do all this important stuff, take it or leave it!" That is their right, but it is also the right of men to "leave it". There is no obligation for them to "man up" and rescue them from the consequences of their choices.

There's two feet here, and let me tell you about the other shoe.

Men lately have commitment issues.  They simply want to milk the cow and not buy it. 

I'll bet you that well over half of those women you claim don't get married in their early years, don't, because the men won't commit.  They all have "boyfriends"....but, the men are the ones who don't want to get married right now.

Why marry her, if you are only going to divorce her in a few years, and then have to split your wealth, etc.  Many men (even some comments on this forum) treat marriage as a joke or a burden.  Believe me, women don't want to be a burden to any man.
you're so innocent to the point of naïveté.  Most of us believe experience.

On a related note, I remember the O[prah] in Denmark (a civilized country I suspect by Nektarios' standards) when her new found friends were talking about all the government benefits the country provided, when she exclaimed "so you don't need a man!"

...and let's be honest about men in today's society.  You blame the women for going out to work.....this is the downfall of the family.  However, that woman who works at the office all day, still is the main childcarer, food preparer and cleaner upper.  So, don't think women have it "easier" these days and are shirking their responsibilities.  On the contrary, their responsibilities have simply increased....not even mentioning elder-care.

It's a society issue, not a woman issue.....  the couple wants the bigger house, the new hybrid vehicle, etc.....all of which they cannot obtain on a single income.  They need two incomes to fulfill their "dreams".   Both parties are just as guilty....and it's their children who suffer, grow up with minimal supervision and a skewed view of what is truly important in this life.
ever read "the Feminine Mystique"?

...one more thing.  When you men are sizing up your prospective spouse....you look at her beauty....and if she catches your eye because she's either voluptuous, blonde or stick thin....you wonder what it is she "does" for a living.  Therefore, YOU expect that woman to be gainfully employed.

If she were unemployed at age 27, living with and off her parents, I'll bet most of you wouldn't give her a second thought.  Be honest with yourselves.
Before liberation in the '60s by "That GIRL" (Marlo Thomas specifically ended the serious before her character married the boyfriend), I suspect most women were "living with and off her parents" and unemployed. Let's be honest.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »

Don't know what you are referring to.

My life is too busy to spend time reading silly books and certainly the TV is hardly ever on....so your inference is lost on me.

Sorry.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »

Damn, Isa, after reading your story, even I want to fix you up with somebody nice! What a ridiculous, sad, and depressing situation. It is a shame how the good go unappreciated. At least you are raising your kids right.
thanks, please pray for them.  My older one is scaring me because he has become terrified of marriage, given what he has seen of it up front, although, if I might say so myself, he would be quite a catch.  He has a genetic kidney disease with deafness, which will kill him one day if it isn't watched (something his mother is in denial about), but if he has only sons, they will neither be affected by it nor carry it, and even without the hearing aid he is quite functional, extremely bright in fact (he is getting "A" in Mandarin Chinese, his fifth language, and was in a national competition for chemistry last year).  Quite consciously and sensitive, but too serious:he had to grow up too fast and too early.  Once when he was 7 or 8, he asked me if God knows everything.  When I said yes, he asked me if God only wants good things for us.  When I said yes, he asked "well, if God knows everything and He only wants good things for you, why did He make you marry mama?"  "If I didn't marry mama, would there be a Mikhail and Stephan [their names]?" I asked. "No," he said.  "Then you have your answer" I replied.

I use to say I could drop dead happy if the younger one made it to 18 relatively healthy and sane.  Now I think I'll have to wait until the older one is married off.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »

Men lately have commitment issues.  They simply want to milk the cow and not buy it. 

I'll bet you that well over half of those women you claim don't get married in their early years, don't, because the men won't commit.  They all have "boyfriends"....but, the men are the ones who don't want to get married right now.

It takes two to tango.  Most men I know do have commitment issues.  One friend referred to his wedding day as the most nervous he'd been since his first roadside bomb in Iraq.  Another is waiting to get married (despite her pressure) so he can get the house bought before they get married, hoping that if for some reason she divorces him he won't loose his grandfather's house to her.  Another has been with some very shady women...but hasn't let them stop him from making sure "their child-bearing years don't get away from them"...3 times.  So yes, I wholeheartedly agree with your first sentence.

The problem is, that men are not entirely at fault for this.  (I say "entirely" because they do bear some guilt, just not all of it.)  For starts, no s**t men want to get the milk for free!   Cheesy  Path of least resistance, yo!  If there were not hoards of young "womyn" wearing "free milk" t-shirts they'd probably have to go the traditional route or stick to prostitutes if they desired not to be calcium deficient.

Also, who's choice was it to go out with a man for all those years who refused to commit?  I will spare you my usual shameless plug about being one of the "nice guys" who would love to commit to a good Christian woman, and I really have no expectations of sympathy.  But don't ask me to give any to women who make poor mate-choices and are burned by the consequences at a later point. 

(Actually, I have a friend who routinely makes poor relationship choices and I do have deep sympathy for her, but I try not to let that spoil my bitterness... Wink)

Why marry her, if you are only going to divorce her in a few years, and then have to split your wealth, etc.  Many men (even some comments on this forum) treat marriage as a joke or a burden.  Believe me, women don't want to be a burden to any man.

With no fault divorce men have to face a double whammy, both emotionally and legally.  I think both men and women need to be careful when dealing with marriage these days.  There are too many things that can go wrong.

Personally, I WILL NOT marry a non-Christian.  I would and have dated them, but that's one of the factors that ended my longest relationship.  If she would not convert, I could not marry her.  I have no respect for legal marriages.  They are just a lop-sided contract to me with no protection for me if it is reneged upon.  I do take the sacrament of marriage very seriously and would love to be married someday.  But it will be in a Church.  Period.

...and let's be honest about men in today's society.  You blame the women for going out to work.....this is the downfall of the family.  However, that woman who works at the office all day, still is the main childcarer, food preparer and cleaner upper.  So, don't think women have it "easier" these days and are shirking their responsibilities.  On the contrary, their responsibilities have simply increased....not even mentioning elder-care.

I have no argument with you here.  Any woman who is married to me will not be the only one doing the housework / child care.  That's one thing that my mother has rammed through my thick skull.  (Though, I do think that if one party spends less hours out of the house at work they should get a head start on the house work in their free time, but I believe this should go for whichever party it is, regardless of anatomical configuration!)

It's a society issue, not a woman issue.....  the couple wants the bigger house, the new hybrid vehicle, etc.....all of which they cannot obtain on a single income.  They need two incomes to fulfill their "dreams".   Both parties are just as guilty....and it's their children who suffer, grow up with minimal supervision and a skewed view of what is truly important in this life.

Once again, no argument.

...one more thing.  When you men are sizing up your prospective spouse....you look at her beauty....and if she catches your eye because she's either voluptuous, blonde or stick thin....you wonder what it is she "does" for a living.  Therefore, YOU expect that woman to be gainfully employed.

I'd prefer dark haired and a little bit of meat...but that's just my thing...

If she were unemployed at age 27, living with and off her parents, I'll bet most of you wouldn't give her a second thought.  Be honest with yourselves.

I'd probably giver her a second thought and a third thought...but I concede your point!   Cheesy
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »

Kids are quite observant; they pick up tone of voice, body language, and in general what is going on in their homes. What they see affects them, some are resilient and turn out to be decent human beings even growing up in the worst possible environments, yet others are not so lucky.  IMHO The best gift two parents can give their kids is to love one another, in the wholesome definition of love and what it entails in it through all circumstances of life.

People like to gush about how wondrous the minds of children are, but the fact is that kids have low future-time orientation and are gullible.

Still don't believe me? Think of every example, ever, of "kids say the darnedest things". Now imagine an adult saying those things. You would think that adult was a moron.

I have to disagree here, at least on the point at hand.  The Romanians say "Only the insane, the drunk, and children tell the truth."

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »

I don't think I will ever complain about my husband again. Sure, he may have forgotten to take the trash to the curb for the second week in a row, but at least he doesn't treat me like a retarded pet. Or a pretty baby factory.

You go, girl! You got moxie and you're going places.

Be sure to remind all the managers that mid-year employee reviews are due by 5/15.

Thank God you reminded me! It's so hard to keep a thought in this silly head of mine. I'll get that e-mail right out.

It's all right. You just need more coffee. 

Oh, just a reminder, don't forget the employee reviews!

Wink
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »

Liza,

I wouldn't let misogynistic ranting from certain posters bother you.  Normal men don't think like that.  

Apparently for some the definition of an obedient wife is someone who will allow you to go visit your former ...ahem "mama-san":
As it happens, my years in Japan were actually my most wayward and I spent most of my free time in the red light district of my town. The mama-san of a sunakku took quite good care of me. I still visit her with my family during my yearly trips to Japan.

Why are you racist against Japan?

As for the jailbird offering such insights into relationships here - I wonder how it is working out for him, to borrow the cliche.  

We have someone here who was in jail? Wow, that must be a really bad person. It would be pretty bad if we were required to be charitable to prisoners. Can you imagine actually having to visit one? Gross.
It was an ad hominem directed at me I think. Nektarios, you will correct me if I am wrong.  It would be a first.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »

I don't think I will ever complain about my husband again. Sure, he may have forgotten to take the trash to the curb for the second week in a row, but at least he doesn't treat me like a retarded pet. Or a pretty baby factory.

Be sure to remind all the managers that mid-year employee reviews are due by 5/15.

Thank God you reminded me! It's so hard to keep a thought in this silly head of mine. I'll get that e-mail right out.

Wink

You are such a peach!  Cheesy I'm on cup number 3.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »

Wink

You are such a peach!  Cheesy I'm on cup number 3.

Lucky.  We ran out after cup #1.5 and I didn't know if anyone would drink any of it if I made more...so I am on to tea now!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:37:38 PM by vamrat » Logged
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »

There's two feet here, and let me tell you about the other shoe.

Men lately have commitment issues.  They simply want to milk the cow and not buy it.  

I'll bet you that well over half of those women you claim don't get married in their early years, don't, because the men won't commit.  They all have "boyfriends"....but, the men are the ones who don't want to get married right now.

Why marry her, if you are only going to divorce her in a few years, and then have to split your wealth, etc.  Many men (even some comments on this forum) treat marriage as a joke or a burden.  Believe me, women don't want to be a burden to any man.

This statement would be comically if it weren't so ignorant. Care to explain the current system of no-fault divorce, alimony, and child support?

LOL!  You crack me up!  I'm talking about marriage, not divorce.  I would hope that people get married without the anticipation of an upcoming divorce.  ...and IF unfortunately the marriage ends in such a way....then there are laws.

You are aware that not all states have alimony....and those that do....often times men are the recipients.  If the woman makes more than her ex-husband then SHE is the one who pays him alimony.
LOL.  No, for all intents and purposes, doesn't happen, despite what the law says.

The reality is that since no fault has become the law of the land, and divorce on demand became the rule, no one is really married anymore (IIRC a State's attorney from TX wrote a book on that by that title).  Long before the gay lobby, the divorce court redefined marriage.  It used to be that prenuptial agreements were void, because they undermined marriage by people getting married with the anticipation of an upcoming divorce.  That they are upheld (for women, at least) shows that yes, when you are talking about marriage today you are talking about divorce.  The "family" courts have made sure of that.

Btw, IIRC Sauron is a lawyer.

Yes, there are law, and no, they are not gender neutral, and Lord help you if you don't fit the cookie cutter.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

So I've just about finished getting dinner ready so it'll be warm when my wife walks in the door.  She's coming home late tonight because she takes classes so that she can advance her career.  I think it's awesome and fully support her.  I'm glad it's 2012.  
Why?  Because, according to the Mayans, the world is going to end and so we don't have to worry about the next generation?

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »

"Nice guys" are beta males? Com'on now....I think that's giving them a little bit too much credit. Speaking as a man, I hate that crap. Ditto the "friend zone" talk from earlier in the thread. What's that? You got shot down (or more likely didn't make a move to begin with) and now you want a handy label to deflect blame for your own failure onto the woman? Boy have I got something you're going to love...!

But on to my real question: Is human resources considered to be (or actually) a female-dominated position? I am outside of the cubicle world (thanks be to God), so I do not understand the reference, though apparently it is quite funny.

HR is the one thing that women invented. It lets them get paid for being busy bodies.

Human resources always sounded like a organ bank to me.  Yesterday on "the Office" the one guy (I never watch it that much, and never pay too much attention to it when I do) the one guy was asking the HR guy about details of intimate female anatomy.

I think the community organizing soaks up most busy bodies.   A logo, a fax and you're an authority.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »

So I've just about finished getting dinner ready so it'll be warm when my wife walks in the door.  She's coming home late tonight because she takes classes so that she can advance her career.  I think it's awesome and fully support her.  I'm glad it's 2012.  

That's nice. Don't let her child-bearing years get away from her.

In civilized countries there is ample maternity leave and related benefits so that the two are no mutually exclusive.  
ah, the sanctimony of the Left shines through.

How's that birth rate in Ukraine again?

Ukrainian demographics are a good example of the problems caused by not having good maternity / paternity polices in place and that the issue is more complex than you are willing to admit.  But the demographics of Ukraine are the topic of another thread. 

So maternity/paternity policies were really good until the mid-1990s and then they went to poop?

You guys should move to Zimbabwe. It has the world's highest population growth rate so they must have the world's best maternity leave laws.

LOL. Can't argue with logic.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Before liberation in the '60s by "That GIRL" (Marlo Thomas specifically ended the serious before her character married the boyfriend), I suspect most women were "living with and off her parents" and unemployed. Let's be honest.

Plain and simple, it is a myth of 1940s-1950s America that women's traditional role is in the home.  Women have been in the home, true, but until the Industrial Revolution, EVERYONE'S PLACE was in the home.  So give or take a hundred years of readjustment and what do find? Both genders struggling on the post-modern world to make sense of what exactly has happened to approximately 250,000 years of human history and culture seemingly abandoned to the pace of progress.  Further, even in the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution through out about until the 1950s, both women and even children worked outside the home. Before that, many women and girls worked in OTHER people's homes, albeit outside of their own.  So its just a myth of the American dream that women traditionally should be at home.  Historically, its never been the case, and probably never will be.  Women consist of sometimes more than half of the global population, and generally speaking, around the world and in the States they do MOST of the work, including the heavy lifting Wink

Wink

I can only hope (and assume) that some of the more "foot-in-mouth" comments on this thread (and Lord have His Mercy on this forum!) are NOT married.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:00:04 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »

That's nice. Don't let her child-bearing years get away from her.

In civilized countries there is ample maternity leave and related benefits so that the two are no mutually exclusive.  

No amount of legal benefits are going to transform 37 into the same child-bearing age as 24.

By the way, care to explain your wisecrack about mama-san?

What about the couple who marries young and remain childless.  What of them?

Sauron was just referring to the biological clock which goes off and then, as he put it, someone is supposed to "man up" and save the woman from her own choices.  Nothing more.  Not at least than I can see.

So a woman's life has been wasted if she didn't have a baby, is that it?

....and now that her biological clock has run out, she needs to be rescued.

Rescued from what?

Ask them.  They are the ones panicking.  Having had a lot of offers to give a donation (and I don't mean money), it's not a mystery for me.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »

Sperm banks are proof that liberals accept the truth that intelligence and other behavioral traits are genetic. They always want the seed from Ivy League, Mensa member, high-powered executives. No one wants the stuff from a high-school dropout career felon.

Or looks like Juan Pablo di Pace

In fact, many wouldn't mind collecting it in person. Shocked.  Hell, almost tempting for me. LOL.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Plain and simple, it is a myth of 1940s-1950s America that women's traditional role is in the home.  Women have been in the home, true, but until the Industrial Revolution, EVERYONE'S PLACE was in the home.  So give or take a hundred years of readjustment and what do find? Both genders struggling on the post-modern world to make sense of what exactly has happened to approximately 250,000 years of human history and culture seemingly abandoned to the pace of progress.  Further, even in the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution through out about until the 1950s, both women and even children worked outside the home. Before that, many women and girls worked in OTHER people's homes, albeit outside of their own.  So its just a myth of the American dream that women traditionally should be at home.  Historically, its never been the case, and probably never will be.  Women consist of sometimes more than half of the global population, and generally speaking, around the world and in the States they do MOST of the work, including the heavy lifting Wink

Wink

I can only hope (and assume) that some of the more "foot-in-mouth" comments on this thread (and Lord have His Mercy on this forum!) are NOT married.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

The Orthodox Research Institute is not, as those of you who follow my posts are no doubt not surprised, one of my favorite reference points in relation to Orthodox topics. That being said, in thinking about this thread, I was searching the internet and I came across a pastoral letter regarding the Role of Women written by Metropolitan Seraphim of Johannesburg and Pretoria of the Patriarchate of Alexandria. For a single man and a monk, he seems to possess far better insight regarding women than has been evidenced by the rather snarky comments which have been posted on this thread in the last two days.

His words are worth quoting verbatim here (I apologize to the mods for the long quote, but I didn't want to take His Eminence out of context.)

".....the advent of Christianity proved to be a revolution for the cause and understanding of women as intelligent, courageous and virtuous- in effect Christianity empowered women in an unprecedented manner. Within the pages of the Gospels the female followers of Jesus are often described as courageous while the male disciples are depicted as cowardly. For instance while St. Peter denied Christ out of fear, while all other male disciples except St. John field during the crucifixion several women stood at the feet of the cross without fear. Likewise when men were locked indoors for fear of the Jews the women went out to anoint the body of Jesus.
"But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene." (St. John 19:28). On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews Jesus came and stood behind them … (St. John 20:19). Again within the pages of the Gospel, women are considered as honest. Trustworthy and reliable faithful witnesses. Indeed the first persons to receive the news of the Resurrection of Christ and commissioned to relay to men the most important message in the annuals of history-were women (St. Mark 16). And he said to them, "Do not be amazed; you seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here; see the place where they laid him. But go tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Gaulle; there you will see him; as he told you" … (St. Mark 16:6-7). Within Gospels women are also described as intelligent and possessing acute intellectual curiosity. Thus when the Archangels announce the future birth of the Messiah, within the lucan account, she naturally engages him in conversation and seeks to understand the precise nature of this announcement.
However when St. Paul announces in his letter to the Galatians, that there is neither male or female but both are considered equal in Christ's redemptive work, this represents from a historical perspective the most radical statement made on the status of women up to that point in the history of ideas. The message of Christianity claims that both men and women are empowered; saved and sanctified by Christ in an equal manner. In the final analysis Christianity claims both man and women equally receive the gifts and virtues bestowed by the Holy Spirit. Gender does not disqualify a Christian from the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Today women make enormous and significant contributions to human societies. Their nurturing rule role within the family as grandmothers, wives, mothers and daughters provide a stabilizing influence upon the structure of the family. Their contribution to social activities is also most important. Women are now familiar and indispensable aspect of the work force. Indeed as Christians, women provide the church irreplaceable assistance."
http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/misc/seraphim_role_of_women.htm
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

My "situation"?  Seriously?  I think you are pushing the boundaries of propriety here.

I am not in a "situation".

I think you need to step back and take a look how you are acting.

ὑστερικός  really?  You are so rude....no wonder you seem to have issues with the women.

Everyone is in a situation. It is not an offensive word, but you may prefer to say "set of circumstances", "state of affairs", or "where I am in my life". There is nothing improper in the slightest about it.

I have only had issue with one woman: my son and my daughter.

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

My life is too busy to spend time reading silly books and certainly the TV is hardly ever on....so your inference is lost on me.

Sorry.

Please drop the other shoe and let us know what keeps you so busy. (besides the serious business of OC.net, of course)

BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »

If there were not hoards of young "womyn" wearing "free milk" t-shirts they'd probably have to go the traditional route or stick to prostitutes if they desired not to be calcium deficient.

That one line almost qualifies for a POTM nomination.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

What we truly look for in a man is someone we can trust. 
I doubt that.
...then you don't really know women.

I just know that things like "honesty" and "integrity" are among things that a lot of women claim to want but avoid when they come into contact with. As far as "trust", a lot of women will "trust" whoever tells them whatever it is they want to hear.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

This thread grows more disgusting.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »

Sorry.

Please drop the other shoe and let us know what keeps you so busy. (besides the serious business of OC.net, of course)

If I did that I would be bragging....and it would tarnish my sense of humility and humbleness, in the blessings that God has bestowed upon me.

...and none of it has anything to do with Human Resources.

Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »

If she were unemployed at age 27 24, living with and off her parents, I'll bet most of you wouldn't give her a second thought.  Be honest with yourselves.

Description of the last girl I went on a date with.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »

When one is disappointed, or even heart-broken, in the pursuit of romance and love, one often needs to look into a mirror rather than casting the blame on an entire gender - that goes for either sex I might add.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:37:37 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »

In general or in particular?  I think some of the "misogynistic" comments that are made in general, not specifically directed at someone (namely at Liza) are pretty accurate.  There is a lot of BS getting thrown about and anyone who dares question the societal norm is shouted down by a bunch of womyn and boys with Stockholm syndrome.

The misogynistic, anti-Liza commentary is pretty hard to understand.  Even when I disagree with her, I can still read what she writes, take it as optimistically as possible, and probably have an accurate understanding of what she meant.  I think the vitriol aimed at her is unwarranted.

Hopefully when the Mods come rolling in they are able to separate the rotten commentary from the well intended stuff.  I think that since marriage is a Sacrament of the Church it should be discussed, even (no, especially) when society tries to make a muck of it.
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »

one often needs to look into a mirror

I'm not claiming to be without my own personal faults.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

The misogynistic, anti-Liza commentary is pretty hard to understand.  Even when I disagree with her, I can still read what she writes, take it as optimistically as possible, and probably have an accurate understanding of what she meant.  I think the vitriol aimed at her is unwarranted.

What?!?  You have disagreed with me?  How can that be possible?  Cheesy

I love you all, and wish you find the spouse that best fits your "standards". 

—St. Isaac of Syria
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

There is a lot of BS getting thrown about and anyone who dares question the societal norm is shouted down by a bunch of womyn and boys with Stockholm syndrome.

I don't think it is radical feminism to see women as more than mere sperm depositories that will bear children for me.  

Interesting that the "boys with Stockholm syndrome" are mostly happily married.  On the other side there is a jailbird that constantly rants about his ex-wife, a person who takes his family to visit his mama-san and a bunch of complaining single guys.  
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »

There is a lot of BS getting thrown about and anyone who dares question the societal norm is shouted down by a bunch of womyn and boys with Stockholm syndrome.

I don't think it is radical feminism to see women as more than mere sperm depositories that will bear children for me.  

Interesting that the "boys with Stockholm syndrome" are mostly happily married.  On the other side there is a jailbird that constantly rants about his ex-wife, a person who takes his family to visit his mama-san and a bunch of complaining single guys.  

I don't understand the mama-san cracks. What do you think that word even means?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »

What?!?  You have disagreed with me?  How can that be possible?  Cheesy

I love you all, and wish you find the spouse that best fits your "standards". 

My "standards" are VERY negotiable, hopefully you won't have to wish too hard!   Wink

Thank you.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »

From reading what you wrote, I assume that you are using the Japanese rendition of mama-san.

I think Nektarios is using the Vietnam War era definition.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

For all of the idealizing that one hears about the 'good old days', those of us old enough to remember those days know that not all was Ozzie and Harriet. In the old mine towns of north east PA, for example, many women worked in the clothing mills and other piece work factories that replaced the mines while their 'man-folk' were not out hunting or gathering, but rather hanging out at the local saloon to bemoan the state of the world only to come home to take out their anger at their children and wives. I remember when we lived in one of those towns where my father was the priest. Domestic violence and substance abuse is nothing new under the sun. I also remember how in greater Binghamton at least, most of my friend's mothers worked after the war and into their retirement - either at Endicott Johnson Shoe works, IBM or other factories.

Anecdotally, I will make one comment. When I was growing up in the 1960's, we had two hundred children in our parish Sunday School. My peer group was involved in the church youth groups, youth choir, sports programs etc... Most of my group married young ladies from our parish or girls we met at church camp, conventions (like FROC or GOYA). Thirty or so years later, the percentage of those marriages still intact is well over eighty percent. There is something to be said about seeking out a life-mate from within your own sphere of interests. I know that the world is different today and parishes are smaller etc...but the reality is that those marriages which survived the turmoil of our modern era generally consisted of a man and a woman who respected each other, treated each other with kindness and love and who held shared values.

If this is representative of 'Stockholm syndrome' or being a 'beta male', well, maybe you should buy a ticket to Sweden. Relationships are not all about hormones.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »

For all of the idealizing that one hears about the 'good old days', those of us old enough to remember those days know that not all was Ozzie and Harriet. In the old mine towns of north east PA, for example, many women worked in the clothing mills and other piece work factories that replaced the mines while their 'man-folk' were not out hunting or gathering, but rather hanging out at the local saloon to bemoan the state of the world only to come home to take out their anger at their children and wives. I remember when we lived in one of those towns where my father was the priest. Domestic violence and substance abuse is nothing new under the sun. I also remember how in greater Binghamton at least, most of my friend's mothers worked after the war and into their retirement - either at Endicott Johnson Shoe works, IBM or other factories.

Anecdotally, I will make one comment. When I was growing up in the 1960's, we had two hundred children in our parish Sunday School. My peer group was involved in the church youth groups, youth choir, sports programs etc... Most of my group married young ladies from our parish or girls we met at church camp, conventions (like FROC or GOYA). Thirty or so years later, the percentage of those marriages still intact is well over eighty percent. There is something to be said about seeking out a life-mate from within your own sphere of interests. I know that the world is different today and parishes are smaller etc...but the reality is that those marriages which survived the turmoil of our modern era generally consisted of a man and a woman who respected each other, treated each other with kindness and love and who held shared values.

If this is representative of 'Stockholm syndrome' or being a 'beta male', well, maybe you should buy a ticket to Sweden. Relationships are not all about hormones.

Binghamton of Binghamtom NY fame? I grew up around 70 miles away from there.  Smiley

Anyway, good thoughts.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

From reading what you wrote, I assume that you are using the Japanese rendition of mama-san.

I think Nektarios is using the Vietnam War era definition.

Well, I wasn't in the sh*t in Danang, so I didn't think of the Vietnamese definition, but I think Νεκτάριος's puerile implications are clear and disgusting.

For those unfamiliar with Japanese, "mama-san" refers to the female manager of a cafe, pub/bar, restaurant, or other similar establishment. In my particular case, an elderly woman who ran a small bar in town (she has since retired after a bout with cancer). She showed me great kindness when I lived there, regularly having me over to share dinner with her, her adult children, and extended family. Once she even had ice cream brought to my apartment when I was sick with tonsillitis. My wife knew her when we were dating, so of course we visit her when we are in Japan.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »

When facts won't do, there are always ad hominems:

no, but your feminazi side is what makes you think anyone said any women were just sperm despositories for child bearing.

Don't know if Sauron is one of the "boys with Stockholm syndrome."  Sauron, you happily married?

As for jailbirds, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Christ...I'm in good company.  As for ranting, I have a lot to rant about.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20341.msg320388.html#msg320388
I have an issue about my sons' mother's face being chewed in their presence, but then I'm just a primitive bedouin, and not used to civilized life, as demonstrated by the number of women beaten by live in boyfriends, shack ups and one night stands.

Oh, and as to your question about "how's it working," I've had to turn down a number of offers.  So well I guess on that level.

As for Sauron, that's between his wife and him, and his children.  I take it mama-san was before he was married.  Ah, now I see that Sauron has addressed your puerile smugness, so common on the left.

As for complaining single guys, this thread was about complaining single women.  The single guy are just pointing out a lot of reasons why the ladies are, and will remain, single.  Of course, they can stay single, but they seem not to want to.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:24:30 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »

Great post, Podkarpatska!  I'm surrounded by what I'd call a "gopnik" culture and have come to deeply hate it.  The whole concept is to be tough, be an alpha male and bully anybody whom you can.  Compassion is a sign of weakness.  It's a really unfortunate part of Russian culture.    
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »

Don't know if Sauron is one of the "boys with Stockholm syndrome."  Sauron, you happily married?

For ten years. We have two beautiful kids with, by all indications, Mensa-class brains. (just like Dad)

As for complaining single guys, this thread was about complaining single women.  The single guy are just pointing out a lot of reasons why the ladies are, and will remain, single.  Of course, they can stay single, but they seem not to want to.

Yes. Men are increasingly willing to give women exactly what they want.

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

Great post, Podkarpatska!  I'm surrounded by what I'd call a "gopnik" culture and have come to deeply hate it.  The whole concept is to be tough, be an alpha male and bully anybody whom you can.  Compassion is a sign of weakness.  It's a really unfortunate part of Russian culture.    

Being beta, you have just made a caricature of it in your mind. Similar to the "nice guys" who whine, "girls just like jerks!" No, they like confidence. Can a jerk be confident? Sure, but so can a "nice guy".

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »

For ten years. We have two beautiful kids with, by all indications, Mensa-class brains. (just like Dad)
Many years!

Yes. Men are increasingly willing to give women exactly what they want.
Yes, and then they tread sour grapes into whine.

Tags: nadir 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: