OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate being flesh and bones and the material world  (Read 1319 times) Average Rating: 0
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »

I hate being flesh and bones. I believe that the material world is caused by the Fall of Man and is inhabited by demons and is evil. May the disembodied righteous spirits please pray for me to the Lord God to be liberated. I never want to return to earth.

HOLY MOTHER MARY PRAY FOR US.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »

amartin,

Thanks.

You have no idea how badly I've been feeling this evening.

Literally laughed for minutes after reading this.

Then harder and longer once I saw it was in the prayer forum.

I hate it all too a lot of the time.

Thanks again.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »

I really think that the trolls with the Old Believer personas have been more believable in the past. You're just not keeping it in the realm of believability. Maybe reset and hit the forum with something a bit more subtle.

It reminds me of what my mother once said of wearing makeup: A woman is always using it properly when it's not obvious that she's wearing any.

Also, I recall that the Mother of God was assumed bodily, so she might not be much help getting out of your flesh prison, as she is still trapped herself.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:26:57 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:36:43 AM »

I really think that the trolls with the Old Believer personas have been more believable in the past. You're just not keeping it in the realm of believability. Maybe reset and hit the forum with something a bit more subtle.

It reminds me of what my mother once said of wearing makeup: A woman is always using it properly when it's not obvious that she's wearing any.

Also, I recall that the Mother of God was assumed bodily, so she might not be much help getting out of your flesh prison, as she is still trapped herself.

I disagree. His transparency at first was boring, then he went nuclear with it and in its absurdity has become quite entertaining.

In any case, a good belly laugh was needed. So a prayer was answered.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:04:48 AM »

Well, I haven't been tracking the progression, so I've probably missed out on the building humor.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:18:10 AM »

God be with you amartin. 
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:22:15 AM »

Everybody wants to be an arhat, but no one wants to do the work.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:33:39 AM »

I hate being flesh and bones. I believe that the material world is caused by the Fall of Man and is inhabited by demons and is evil. May the disembodied righteous spirits please pray for me to the Lord God to be liberated. I never want to return to earth.

nothing
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:38:41 AM by augustin717 » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:52:58 AM »

God be with you amartin. 

Thus far, the most charitable, Christian response. 

amartin,  I hope you'll forgive me for my childish replies to you.  I'm not certain yet if you're pulling our collective chains or are really going through a spiritual crisis.  There are good arguments for both cases, I guess.  Still, I shouldn't have said what I did.  PM me if you want to talk it through.  I'm no boon of spiritual wisdom, but I can listen. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:50:04 AM »

God created the Heavens and the Earth, all things visible and invisible. The scriptures tells us that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. Again amartin, the world is not so evil as you think.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 05:56:27 AM »

Christ, too, ascended bodily to heaven. He did not abandon His human flesh or human nature.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:58:06 AM by LBK » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »

What does flesh and bones have to do with the material world?

Even if you believe that you are only flesh and bones (spirit?), you don't have to conform to materialism or the exploitation that it often causes.  Christ even told the rich man to sell his possessions and follow him.  Monks take the vow of poverty.   I believe that as Christians, we don't have to conform to materialism if we so choose to.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »

Congratulations, you're a Gnostic dualist. So much for righeousness.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »

Congratulations, you're a Gnostic dualist. So much for righeousness.
I'd give him a trophy, but he'd just hate that too...

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »

What does flesh and bones have to do with the material world?

Even if you believe that you are only flesh and bones (spirit?), you don't have to conform to materialism or the exploitation that it often causes.  Christ even told the rich man to sell his possessions and follow him.  Monks take the vow of poverty.   I believe that as Christians, we don't have to conform to materialism if we so choose to.

I don't think you understand the materialism amartin is referring to.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »

That's fine. I don't think gnostic heretics inherit the earth. There's nothing meek about heresy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »

Remembering Heavens Gate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzWpfq103q4

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »

That's fine. I don't think gnostic heretics inherit the earth. There's nothing meek about heresy.

You do realize the Gnosticism truly has nothing other than historical coincidence to do with the radical moral dualism being presented here.

The case can easily be made that more than a few Orthodox here are truly Gnostic (see noetic prayer, spiritual elders, etc.) and probably most Americans are as anti-materialistic as amartin here in this sense of materialism. Hence the emphasis on "spirituality" over "religion" we hear so much about. Again, on the over-indulging in spirituality, see Orthodoxy around here.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »

Whenever I read this thread, I can't help but think of the KIDS Inc. version of Madonna's "Material Girl", complete with a young Stacy Fergusen!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »

Whenever I read this thread, I can't help but think of the KIDS Inc. version of Madonna's "Material Girl", complete with a young Stacy Fergusen!

How did I not know about this TV show? Oh yeah, I didn't really have TV as a kid.

Awesome.

amartin

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »

Thank you for the two charitable responses. This was supposed to be in the prayer forum. But I guess the moderators wanted the prayers of liberation to be thwarted...
amartin

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »

How could you post that wickedness? Please realize that by watching that video all men are automatically set back by one full day of spiritual advancement.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »

How could you post that wickedness? Please realize that by watching that video all men are automatically set back by one full day of spiritual advancement.

The Kidz are indeed alright. And so are you.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »

oh, so we can limit the grace of God now

Profanity removed from post  -PtA
 You are put on warning status for using a profanity. Second Chance
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:28:05 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

SCREW BON JOVI!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »

Amartin, the demons are spirits, yet they are not at peace. being disembodied is not a guarantee of the end of pain and suffering. if  while in the flesh one can feel pain for a certain time, imagine how long the pain of the spirit lasts? the Son of God entered matter to transfigure it, you are given a gift of precious time where through the light of Christ, you learn to love yourself and others, and be kind to yourself and others, to learn to forgive yourself and others. you learn to be the beautiful human being you are created to be. If I were to be disembodied while still hating others, still hating myself, still  crippled and tied down with fear, anger, rage, jealously etc.. what good is it to me? what freedom is that when I am still a slave to such things? 

challenge yourself to be kind...., see how free you are.
challenge yourself to love... and see how free you are
challenge yourself to be compassionate... and fulfill your purpose..

what better place to do all that , than where you are needed here in this world where pain and suffering is rampant.
with whom to start , other than with yourself?

May the Prayer of the Most Holy Theotokos be with you!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:15:54 PM by Hiwot » Logged

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »

Amartin, the demons are spirits, yet they are not at peace. being disembodied is not a guarantee of the end of pain and suffering. if  while in the flesh one can feel pain for a certain time, imagine how long the pain of the spirit lasts? the Son of God entered matter to transfigure it, you are given a gift of precious time where through the light of Christ, you learn to love yourself and others, and be kind to yourself and others, to learn to forgive yourself and others. you learn to be the beautiful human being you are created to be. If I were to be disembodied while still hating others, still hating myself, still  crippled and tied down with fear, anger, rage, jealously etc.. what good is it to me? what freedom is that when I am still a slave to such things? 

what better place to do all that , than where you are needed here in this world where pain and suffering is rampant.

May the Prayers of the Most Holy Theotokos be with you!

amartin,

Notice the sincere and diligent posts Hiwot continues to offer you and thus everyone.

What a kindness. Not matter how much jest or true unrest you feel, this should certainly give you some solace, I hope.

In any case, thanks to both of you. You both offer me relief in quite different but equally important ways.

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 11:21:13 PM »

Profanity removed from post  -PtA
laugh
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:30:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »

u mad about being flesh and bones, bro?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:27:33 PM by Wyatt » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »

Wyatt, I see that graphic here and there. Can you give me a link about what it is? I am too lazy to reverse google image search it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:27:57 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »

Wyatt, I see that graphic here and there. Can you give me a link about what it is? I am too lazy to reverse google image search it.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trollface-coolface-problem
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 11:33:25 PM »

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trollface-coolface-problem

Thank you.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »

May the Prayers of the Most Holy Theotokos be with you!

amartin,

Notice the sincere and diligent posts Hiwot continues to offer you and thus everyone.

What a kindness. Not matter how much jest or true unrest you feel, this should certainly give you some solace, I hope.

In any case, thanks to both of you. You both offer me relief in quite different but equally important ways.

*huggs*    Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
amartin

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 11:48:56 PM »

Hiwot,

Thank you for the reflections. They are very encouraging.

I didn't mean to suggest that disembodiment is liberation for everyone. For the sinners it seals them to hell. But for the righteous it is a liberation. Even Saul of Tarsus said:

"as long as we are at home in the body we are exiled from the Lord... desire instead to be exiled from the body and to be at home with the Lord (2nd letter to Corinthian pagans)

He said many other things to the same effect.

But thank you for you following Yashua in this world of apostasy. It is encouraging.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:49:54 PM by amartin » Logged
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 12:59:37 AM »

Silly Stars
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »

So there's a system now?  What can I do to get ahead five or six days, maybe a month even?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »

The Kidz are indeed alright. And so are you.

That was a good movie.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »

You gonna be frustrated when you realise that your soul is material as well.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »

LOL.  Of course the problem is that she is only the Mother of God because He got His flesh from her.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: