OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 10:07:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have any modern saints disproven 1984?  (Read 655 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: May 08, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »

I finished 1984 pretty recently and I've been trying to think of anti-Winstons, people who stick to their beliefs despite unimaginable torture and seem to have no breaking point. Are there any such Christian saints? I'd prefer someone modern and well documented as I'll probably be referencing them in a paper I'm writing. Maybe a saint who died under the commies would fit the bill?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »

Yah there are saints thT survived the commies too and sing fascist songs
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »

Christ is risen!

You can read about Fr. George Calciu of Romania. Two of my former parishioners lived in the same apartment building he lived in. He has spoken in the U.S. upon occasion.

Somewhat off topic, but do you know that 1984 was not so much a work of fiction, as a work of non-fiction masquerading as a work of fiction? Blair was aware of what was being planned for the world and for our society by the powers that be in British and American intelligence and his book describes the very world they were planning to bring in.

In fact, almost all of the "planks" of their plan have already been introduced. He was not so much a prophet, as a whistle-blower who couldn't get his non-fiction whistle-blowing published and so turned to fiction.

You could also look at St. Benjamin of Petrograd, or the life of Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Or, wait 12 more years and look at what happens in the United States and there may be many examples to emulate, from within re-education camps and whatnot.

Pardon the rambly response.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »

Yah there are saints thT survived the commies too and sing fascist songs
When we get the commies who survive to sing fascist songs, we will rest easy.

As for the Fascists, the recently glorified St. Alexander Schmorell was martyred by the Nazis.

Pray for us!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:50:48 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »

Christ is risen!

You can read about Fr. George Calciu of Romania. Two of my former parishioners lived in the same apartment building he lived in. He has spoken in the U.S. upon occasion.

Somewhat off topic, but do you know that 1984 was not so much a work of fiction, as a work of non-fiction masquerading as a work of fiction? Blair was aware of what was being planned for the world and for our society by the powers that be in British and American intelligence and his book describes the very world they were planning to bring in.
Blair? Huh You do realize that it was George Orwell who wrote 1984 (unless there's another book by that name)?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »

Christ is risen!

Blair? Huh You do realize that it was George Orwell who wrote 1984 (unless there's another book by that name)?

Pseudonyms are fun.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »

Christ is risen!

Pseudonyms are fun.
Okay. I did not know that George Orwell and a guy surnamed Blair are the same person.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:28 AM »

Christ is risen!

Pseudonyms are fun.
Okay. I did not know that George Orwell and a guy surnamed Blair are the same person.

Don't feel bad, neither did I. I had the same question when I read Blair as well. Of course before I could even ask the question my brother had already posted the answer...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:10:13 AM »

St Barnabas Nastic is a confessor in the Serbian church from the communist era

http://pravoslavlje.spc.rs/broj/910/tekst/sveti-ispovednik-varnava-nastic/print/lat

Link is a Serbian bio & info on canonization in 2004.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:18:45 AM »

Christ is risen!

In fact, almost all of the "planks" of their plan have already been introduced. He was not so much a prophet, as a whistle-blower who couldn't get his non-fiction whistle-blowing published and so turned to fiction.

You could also look at St. Benjamin of Petrograd, or the life of Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Or, wait 12 more years and look at what happens in the United States and there may be many examples to emulate, from within re-education camps and whatnot.

Pardon the rambly response.
Not saying at all that his was a just punishment, but he didn't get into prison because he was Orthodox. He got there bwcause of his links to legionarism (fascism). And that's true of most Romanian clergy persecuted by the Communist regime.
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:00:19 AM »

Saint Maximos the confessor comes to mind.

Thank you.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »

Saint Maximos the confessor comes to mind.
Probably not the modern saint preferred for the purposes of the OP, though.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »

I finished 1984 pretty recently and I've been trying to think of anti-Winstons, people who stick to their beliefs despite unimaginable torture and seem to have no breaking point. Are there any such Christian saints? I'd prefer someone modern and well documented as I'll probably be referencing them in a paper I'm writing. Maybe a saint who died under the commies would fit the bill?

There was the girl martyred at Columbine High School, who died for her Christian beliefs.   Perhaps she did not go through long torture per se, but I could imagine that the event was pretty torturing until her death.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:40:26 PM »

Christ is risen.

As far as older saints go, the martyrdom of St. Lawrence the Great-Martyr, Archdeacon of Rome, is powerfully inspiring and a perfect example of seemingly superhuman bravery in the face of persecution.
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »

Christ is risen.

As far as older saints go, the martyrdom of St. Lawrence the Great-Martyr, Archdeacon of Rome, is powerfully inspiring and a perfect example of seemingly superhuman bravery in the face of persecution.

How about Saint Evgeny Rodionov the New Martyr of Chechnya:  Sad

"...Upon capture they were held in the cellar of an abandoned house for 100 days as ransom demands were sent to their families. Kidnapping and demanding ransom was almost a cottage industry in Chechnya during that time period. They kept Evgeny hanging by his wrists in a basement. They starved and beat him. Rodionov's ransom was reported to be 50 million rubles (1.6 million dollars) - at the time an impossible sum. Another report says it may have been in the $10,000 range. Whatever it was, the ransom was not met.

Chechen field commander Rusland Haihoroev (also spelled Khaikhoroyev in some sources) eventually beheaded Evgeny with a rusted saw that took over an hour to complete on May 23, 1996 (his 19th birthday) near the settlement of Bamut. His body, along with four other Russian prisoners were placed in a bomb crater outside the village of Alexeevskaya and covered up with lime and dirt. Haihoroev stated later in an interview that he only killed Rodionov after the soldier denied conversion to Islam and refused to give up his Orthodox Cross, while two others with him had converted to Islam. Russian troops occupied the village where Evgeny was murdered the following day after the execution..."

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/05/saint-evgeny-rodionov-new-martyr-of.html
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: