OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 06:50:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moravian Church- Protestant *before* Lutherans?  (Read 1126 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: May 08, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »

Hey y'all!

I stumbled across this Wiki article on the Moravian Church.  It notes that:

"The movement that was to become the Moravian Church was started by Jan Hus (English: John Huss) in the late 14th century. Hus objected to some of the practices of the Roman Catholic Church and wanted to return the church in Bohemia and Moravia to what were the practices in these territories when it had been Eastern Orthodox: liturgy in the language of the people (i.e. Czech), having lay people receive communion in both kinds (bread and wine), married priests, and eliminating indulgences and the idea of Purgatory. Evidence of their roots in Eastern Orthodoxy can be seen today in their form of the Nicene Creed, which like Orthodox Churches, does not include the filioque clause. In rejecting indulgences, Jan Hus can be said to have adopted a doctrine of justification by grace through faith alone; in doing so, the Moravians arguably became the first Protestant church."

The article also mentions a group known as the Waldensians who gave the Moravians episcopal ordination.  The article goes on to say:

"These were some of the earliest Protestants, rebelling against Rome more than a hundred years before Martin Luther."

Both churches are represented here in the States, but that the “Waldensianism came to an end at the time of the Reformation,” when it was “swallowed up” by Protestantism.

I'm sure there are OC.net members who have heard of the Moravian Church before.  I thought the article was interesting as I've always thought that Luther was the first Protestant.  It seems he may have been influenced.

What say y'all?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »

Luther was influenced by Hus, and Hus was well thought of by the Lutherans that I knew.  Hus would have been the father of the Reformation if there would have been some Protestants around back then.  Luther was lucky because his religious reformation was backed by political Protestants who actually had armies and castles.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »

Hus would have been the father of the Reformation if there would have been some Protestants around back then. 

Yeah, and if they hadn't burned him at the stake. Luther had powerful friends to hide him.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

Did Hus teach "justification by grace alone"? The Orthodox Church also rejects indulgences, does that make us Protestant?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »

Did Hus teach "justification by grace alone"? The Orthodox Church also rejects indulgences, does that make us Protestant?

In rejecting indulgences, Jan Hus can be said to have adopted a doctrine of justification by grace through faith alone

Sounds like landmark baptist-style reductionism and history fudging.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »

In rejecting indulgences, Jan Hus can be said to have adopted a doctrine of justification by grace through faith alone

Except that what you have me saying was actually a quote from an article.  You'll need to turn in your investigative journalism badge until you repeat a few courses.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »

The Moravian Church is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, so at some point they came to an understanding with each other.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »

Evidence of their roots in Eastern Orthodoxy can be seen today in their form of the Nicene Creed, which like Orthodox Churches, does not include the filioque clause.

Interesting. I knew that the Old Catholics & PNCC dropped the filioque (a century or so ago when they separated from Rome) but I didn't know about the Moravians doing so.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »

Hey y'all!

I stumbled across this Wiki article on the Moravian Church.  It notes that:

"The movement that was to become the Moravian Church was started by Jan Hus (English: John Huss) in the late 14th century. Hus objected to some of the practices of the Roman Catholic Church and wanted to return the church in Bohemia and Moravia to what were the practices in these territories when it had been Eastern Orthodox: liturgy in the language of the people (i.e. Czech), having lay people receive communion in both kinds (bread and wine), married priests, and eliminating indulgences and the idea of Purgatory. Evidence of their roots in Eastern Orthodoxy can be seen today in their form of the Nicene Creed, which like Orthodox Churches, does not include the filioque clause. In rejecting indulgences, Jan Hus can be said to have adopted a doctrine of justification by grace through faith alone; in doing so, the Moravians arguably became the first Protestant church."

The article also mentions a group known as the Waldensians who gave the Moravians episcopal ordination.  The article goes on to say:

"These were some of the earliest Protestants, rebelling against Rome more than a hundred years before Martin Luther."

Both churches are represented here in the States, but that the “Waldensianism came to an end at the time of the Reformation,” when it was “swallowed up” by Protestantism.

I'm sure there are OC.net members who have heard of the Moravian Church before.  I thought the article was interesting as I've always thought that Luther was the first Protestant.  It seems he may have been influenced.

What say y'all?

They were more like proto-protestants. I can't speak for all former protestants on this board, but If you were raised Fundamentalist or had friends who were fundamentalists then the history of Huss, Wycliff, Tyndale,  and the Waldensians would of came up when talking about the issue of "the history of the English Bible", or some other topic.

They weren't really protestants in the full sense of the word, but Luther and them did eventually follow in their footsteps. All thanks to the printing press. And so in a way they did get the ball rolling.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:26:22 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »

Land Mark Baptists are actually hard to find these days. I was so happy when I found one on facebook!

I treated him like a specimen to be studied. He didn't mind either.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:20 AM »

The Moravian Church is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, so at some point they came to an understanding with each other.

The organisation that currently uses that name was created by some XX-century LARPER-s and they are not related historically to the original Hussites (whose existence finally stopped in the XVIIth Century).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:16:06 AM »

And here I was just wondering when "LARPing" would get mentioned on this forum again. Grin

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »

A year ago the Episcopal Church and the American Moravians did the full intercommunion thing.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »

And here I was just wondering when "LARPing" would get mentioned on this forum again. Grin

Folks on this forum do seem to have an odd fascination with the nerdy past-time. Oh, nvm, this is an Orthodox forum. I'm sure most of our members are involved in one right now. Grin

Though, I did not know that the group calling themselves "Moravian" today isn't the original historical community. Interesting that someone decided to resurrect it...

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 01:14:29 PM »

In our old neighborhood, in addition to the Slovak Lutheran Church, there was a Presbyterian Church named for Jan Huss. It was founded by Czech immigrants in the early 20th century. They are still hanging in there but I don't think that they are different than the First Pres church across town these days.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »

Luther was influenced by Hus, and Hus was well thought of by the Lutherans that I knew.  Hus would have been the father of the Reformation if there would have been some Protestants around back then.  Luther was lucky because his religious reformation was backed by political Protestants who actually had armies and castles.
Acutually, Hus had that too, but he was tricked into leaving them by the duplicity of the Vatican and showing up on the promise of immunity.  Luther learned from the mistake.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »

Interesting to consider that, if the Council of Constance had decided not to execute Jan Hus, he might possibly have lived a couple more decades and attended the next council -- which is to say, the Council of Florence. I can't help wondering if that could have altered the sad outcome of that council.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »

Except that what you have me saying was actually a quote from an article.  You'll need to turn in your investigative journalism badge until you repeat a few courses.
Bro, I know it's from a wiki article. It's the wiki article that sounds like landmark baptist-style reductionism and history fudging.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »

What say y'all?

I've read a good deal about the early Moravians, and as I understand it they started off in the early 1700s at the estate of Count Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf, who gave refuge to persecuted followers of the teaching of Hus. But the Hussites were not the only 'stream' that flowed into the work of God's spirit (as I see it) at that estate. Others blended, and the Moravian church was born in the 1720s from that flowing together. The place where this happened was called Herrnhut (The Watch of the Lord), and so the people are sometimes known as Herrnhuter.

Some of Zinzendorf's devotional writings are in print in English in one or more collections of early Pietist writings, and I have read in them to supplement my spiritual diet, rather as I have read various Orthodox writers. (I have also been stirred by straightforward Moravian history).

It was Moravians who so deeply and strongly influenced John Wesley, before his Evangelical conversion in 1738, pointing out to him the need for an inner, living faith in the heart.

As far as I recall, I have only ever spoken at one Moravian church, and I believe that here in Britain at least they have changed rather a lot from the beliefs and practices of their early days.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »

I've read a good deal about the early Moravians, and as I understand it they started off in the early 1700s at the estate of Count Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf, who gave refuge to persecuted followers of the teaching of Hus.

I believe they would say that their church existed continuously since the 14th century, but became more numerous and public in the 18th century, after having dwindled.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »

The organisation that currently uses that name was created by some XX-century LARPER-s and they are not related historically to the original Hussites (whose existence finally stopped in the XVIIth Century).

What do you mean? There have been Moravians living in North Carolina (in Winston-Salem) since the 1700s....so definitely not some XX century LARPER-s.

http://www.oldsalem.org/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:18:30 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:19 AM »

It looks like I've taken Czechoslovak Hussite Church for Moravian Church. And the latter indeed has some tiny original Hussite infuence in its origins (Czechoslovak Hussite Church has not at all).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: