OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:56:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the deal with Ketchup?  (Read 2342 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »

For example, look at Mustard; he's branched out into so many different varieties, colors and flavors.  Sometimes he's spicy while other times he's savory.  Even BBQ sauce ain't shy about trying new looks and adding variety ('an I don't wanna hear from you 'dry-rub' snobs!  Wink).  But Ketchup... He just sits there and refuses to try new looks/spices.  I hear tell he tried years ago, but he just gave up.  Any y'all know the scoop? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:50:27 AM »

For example, look at Mustard; he's branched out into so many different varieties, colors and flavors.  Sometimes he's spicy while other times he's savory.  Even BBQ sauce ain't shy about trying new looks and adding variety ('an I don't wanna hear from you 'dry-rub' snobs!  Wink).  But Ketchup... He just sits there and refuses to try new looks/spices.  I hear tell he tried years ago, but he just gave up.  Any y'all know the scoop? 
He just doesn't want to catch up with his competitors.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:52:52 AM »

He just doesn't want to catch up with his competitors.
Well played, amigo!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:10:21 AM »

It's like Orthodoxy. No need to change.

ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »

I had some ketchup infused with tabasco sauce a couple years ago.

Just keep it with the normal flavor. It's worked well for this long.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »

Yall remember those different colors of ketchup they had a while back?  They had green, purple and blue.  Supposedly it tasted the same, but i never touched it.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »

Ketchup here has all sorts of different varieties / spices / flavors.   That's probably because other sauces aren't very common.  I'd love to be able to get some good BBQ sauce or something that is actually and truly spicy. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »

I'm from Pittsburgh and Heinz kind of owns.

I love Ketchup. My homeboy Rodney got me eating ketchup with my bologna sandwiches, now I eat it with everything.

Why Ketchup doesn't do other flavors? Because this failed:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:21:52 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »

Mustard, FTW!!!!!!!

I'm going to need this.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »

I'm from Pittsburgh and Heinz kind of owns.

I love Ketchup. My homeboy Rodney got me eating ketchup with my bologna sandwiches, now I eat it with everything.

Why Ketchup doesn't do other flavors? Because this failed:

thats what i was talking about. so gross looking!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:20 AM »

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

Mustard, FTW!!!!!!!

Agreed.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »

Ketchup is the only condiment to have retained continuity with the earliest condiment company founded by Henry Heinz in AD 1869. Mustard, on the other hand, has fragmented into so many conflicting flavors that it's barely recognizable in relation to the earliest mustard condiment served by Robert French in 1904. This is why ketchup is the True Condiment.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:43:40 AM by NightOwl » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »

Imagine what Ketchup tasted like when it didn't use tomatoes. Shocked

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »

+1  Cheesy

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »

Dear Everyone,

I have heard that the origin of my favorite condiment is a fishy Asian sauce.  I am, however, not a food historian.  Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable forum members will provide input.  There must be some wonderful maps that trace the migration of Ketchup to the West. 

As far as I can tell, Ketchup is not prohibited on any fasting days!

love, elephant
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »

I do recall seeing ketchup packets with "Fancy" on it.   Ketchup, you're being much too modest.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »

I'd love to be able to get some good BBQ sauce or something that is actually and truly spicy. 

In order to find good barbecue, and sauce, you must go to South Carolina, my friend. Barbecue in other places is not worthy of the noble name. Why, I have heard tales (erroneous, I'm sure) that in some places barbecue is not even pork but rather beef, if you can believe it.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »

I do recall seeing ketchup packets with "Fancy" on it.   Ketchup, you're being much too modest.

Jim Gaffigan is pretty funny, huh?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »

My first posting since my week's vacation is simply this....you leave ketchup alone! Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »

I'd love to be able to get some good BBQ sauce or something that is actually and truly spicy. 

In order to find good barbecue, and sauce, you must go to South Carolina, my friend. Barbecue in other places is not worthy of the noble name. Why, I have heard tales (erroneous, I'm sure) that in some places barbecue is not even pork but rather beef, if you can believe it.

The Union could've taken care of the Confederacy Byzantine-style by sparking a war between the southern states over barbecue.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »

In order to find good barbecue, and sauce, you must go to South Carolina, my friend
You can keep that mustard based abomination.....give me North Carolina/Virginia. Thank you.

Why, I have heard tales (erroneous, I'm sure) that in some places barbecue is not even pork but rather beef, if you can believe it
That barbarity should never be repeated again.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »

The Union could've taken care of the Confederacy Byzantine-style by sparking a war between the southern states over barbecue.

There are actually supposed to be three separate "barbecue zones" in South Carolina. You could easily start a fight over it.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

Ketchup at one time was made from any variety of fruit / vegetable bulk waste from large scale manufacturing of food.

For some reason the tomato variety just caught on.

And you can find at least one variation in many German speaking grocers, the curried variety thanks to the culinary misagos of Turks eating sausage.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »

Heinz makes Ketchup with both Tabasco and Balsamic vinegar.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

The Pointless One !

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »

In order to find good barbecue, and sauce, you must go to South Carolina, my friend
You can keep that mustard based abomination.....give me North Carolina/Virginia. Thank you.

Why, I have heard tales (erroneous, I'm sure) that in some places barbecue is not even pork but rather beef, if you can believe it

PP

Enjoy

http://rhettandlink.com/videos/index.php?key=bbq-song#
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 09:09:39 PM »

PP

Enjoy

http://rhettandlink.com/videos/index.php?key=bbq-song#

Holy cow... You are my new favorite because of your screen name. Can I be the Arrow to your Oblio?  Tongue

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »

Can I be the Arrow to your Oblio?  Tongue

So to speak? Is that a euphemism?

I'm going to need this.
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »

Can I be the Arrow to your Oblio?  Tongue

So to speak? Is that a euphemism?

No euphemism. Just a really awesome movie. Oblio is the boy, Arrow is his dog:

GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »

Jim Gaffigan is pretty funny, huh?

I tip my hat to you, sir.  Smiley

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:41 AM »

One must not forget grape ketchup, an old New England and Canadian Maritime favorite - best served on macaroni and cheese. And, despite the silly colors that were marketed for a while, there is a time-honored green tomato ktchup, difficult to find commercially (not sure anyone makes it that way anymore), but still able to be concocted at home - and quite excellent.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »

Kansas City is as close as I've ever been to the South and even there the BBQ was great (at least to my palate). 

IS BBQ sauce that hard to make?  I make my own ketchup, so I'd imagine it is just a few extra steps assuming I can find all the ingredients. 
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »

Kansas City is as close as I've ever been to the South and even there the BBQ was great (at least to my palate).
KC is good. I also like Memphis. However, I like a slightly vinegar-y taste in Virginia/NC BBQ.

IS BBQ sauce that hard to make?  I make my own ketchup, so I'd imagine it is just a few extra steps assuming I can find all the ingredients
It is very very easy. Especially if you have a blender.

PP

Gregory the Great
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »

That place is called Texas...

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »

So when making a good BBQ sauce what recipe should a follow?  Any suggestions?   
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »

What kind do you like? (vinegar, mustard, ketchup, molasses based)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:50:00 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »

I've heard folks use mayonnaise.  I've been afraid to try it, though.

I usually take a ready made bottle of bbq sauce and than "tweak" it to make it even better.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »

I've heard folks use mayonnaise.  I've been afraid to try it, though.
That is barbecue heresy!

PP

Gregory the Great
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »

My family starts with a ketchup/ worcestershire/ brown sugar base.  If you can't find brown sugar, you could probably substitute molasses or treacle.  Then add finely chopped onions (or onion powder), a little chipotle powder and liquid smoke.   That'll get you started.  Especially if you like KC-style bbq.  My family uses the above for our base, but from there we get a little exotic.  People seem to really love it and we've thought about selling it....

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »

Tomato paste/worsteshire/vinegar base here.

PP

Gregory the Great
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »

ketchup/ worcestershire/ brown sugar base.  If you can't find brown sugar, you could probably substitute molasses or treacle.  Then add finely chopped onions (or onion powder), a little chipotle powder and liquid smoke.   

Ketchup?Huh!!!!
Chipotle?Huh!!!!
Liquid smoke!!!!???

Is outrage!

St. John Chrysostom
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

ketchup/ worcestershire/ brown sugar base.  If you can't find brown sugar, you could probably substitute molasses or treacle.  Then add finely chopped onions (or onion powder), a little chipotle powder and liquid smoke.   

Ketchup?Huh!!!!
Chipotle?Huh!!!!
Liquid smoke!!!!???

Is outrage!

NEW YORK CITY?!!!

Also, there's nothing wrong with using liquid smoke in preparing sauces.  Only people who don't cook complain about its use.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

Ketchup?Huh!!!!
Chipotle?Huh!!!!
Liquid smoke!!!!???

Is outrage!

Cheesy LOL!  Well, with the exception of chipotle, that's how my born and raised TN granny done it!   

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »

My family starts with a ketchup/ worcestershire/ brown sugar base.  If you can't find brown sugar, you could probably substitute molasses or treacle.  Then add finely chopped onions (or onion powder), a little chipotle powder and liquid smoke.   That'll get you started.  Especially if you like KC-style bbq.  My family uses the above for our base, but from there we get a little exotic.  People seem to really love it and we've thought about selling it....

Thanks!  I'll really have to do some hunting to some of this stuff, but it might be possible.   I know molasses is definitely out.  I think I remember seeing worcestershire sauce before.  This could be a fun summer project.   My father-in-law and I like to have cookouts (Shashlyk) whenever there is a holiday, so some BBQ sauce will be a nice addition. 
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: