OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 09:49:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter, a worldly holiday? 100 years ago, Southern Baptists thought it was  (Read 1152 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 05, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »

MAYFIELD, Ky. (BP) -- Southern Baptists originally did not attach much significance to Easter. This was much the same regarding Christmas....

Both days were not recognized as a special day of worship in any of the historic Baptist confessions; allusions to them were rare in Baptist history volumes before the 20th century; and both holidays possessed an association with worldliness, and even paganism, in the minds of many Baptist ministers. Even as late as 1903, a writer for the North Carolina state Baptist paper, the Biblical Recorder, wrote an anti-Easter article that stated that "Baptists do not keep this day" (March 18, 1903).
Wow. Shocked

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »

Those crazy 19th centuryers  Smiley

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »

Yeah, they missed out on a lot of chocolate bunnies.  Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

Actually, it was a pretty standard position amongst the British Non-comformists from the 17th Century, from whom many of our American Baptist denominations are descended. As far as Baptists have tradition, Easter and Christmas are modernist innovations.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

Who cares, we celebrate Pascha, not Easter  Grin

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 02:15:07 AM »

Who cares, we celebrate Pascha, not Easter  Grin
There's a difference?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:15:34 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:27:35 AM »

Interesting, as I was out of town for Easter and visited a Baptist Church for service. I am not, nor do I have any significant knowledge of Baptist theology or doctrine. I thought it odd that while there was a sunrise 'Easter' service, the sermon for the 'main' service that day had nothing to do with the Resurrection or Easter at all.

Perhaps for the Baptist it is not all that odd then!?

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »

I am tired of protestants questioning me (with a hint of accusation) when I say things like "today is Palm Sunday" or "next Sunday is Pentecost", while simultaneously thinking nothing of celebrating "Easter" according to some astronomical formula standardised hundreds of years ago by the very Roman Church which they revile.

At least their ancestors had the consistency to eschew all Popery and "traditions of men", unlike the current crop who just pick and choose according to taste.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:03:20 PM »

I am tired of protestants questioning me (with a hint of accusation) when I say things like "today is Palm Sunday" or "next Sunday is Pentecost", while simultaneously thinking nothing of celebrating "Easter" according to some astronomical formula standardised hundreds of years ago by the very Roman Church which they revile.

At least their ancestors had the consistency to eschew all Popery and "traditions of men", unlike the current crop who just pick and choose according to taste.

Oddly enough, the only time I get Protestants questioning me about "today is Palm Sunday" is when Orthodox Palm Sunday falls on a different date than Western. I wonder if your Australian Low Church types are more hardcore than the American variant. Pentecost seems to have fallen by the Low Church Separatist wayside, though.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 11:53:40 PM »

Most of them still dont care much for it.  At best, its just a single day where we maybe do a sermon about the resurrection, as long as it doesnt interfere with the cool/funny sermon series the pastor is in the middle of.

I certainly dont know of any baptist churches that view Easter as a whole season.  It just comes and goes.  No different than any other Sunday.

Regarding Christmas, a lot of churches I know of cancelled church altogether when Christmas fell on a Sunday this past year.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Nicene
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:41:34 AM »

I've noticed when talking to these protestants and atheists who would maintain that easter is pagan they can't give any sort of reasoning for this. THe only thing they can do is repeat "easter is derived from a pagan Goddess" completely oblivious to the fact that this happens only in the english and I believe the german has a like minded term.

Thank you.
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »

I've noticed when talking to these protestants and atheists who would maintain that easter is pagan they can't give any sort of reasoning for this. THe only thing they can do is repeat "easter is derived from a pagan Goddess" completely oblivious to the fact that this happens only in the english and I believe the german has a like minded term.

Right,  Eostre was a pagan Germanic goddess of fertility.. 

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »

Well, according to one source, I believe, so even that claim (that Eostre was a deity) is debatable.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

As far as Baptists have tradition.
Generally speaking, the tradition which Baptists have is to reject tradition.  If anything, they rejected Easter because it was Tradition, and then when it became traditionally Baptist to reject such, they had to then revive Easter to reject their own tradition Wink

If it worth singing about its Southern Baptist.  If its grumpy enough, you have a Missionary Baptist on your hands. Either way, there is sure to be lunch after.
stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »

Well, according to one source, I believe, so even that claim (that Eostre was a deity) is debatable.

Indeed.  Bede.  A single line in Bede.  Compounded by the imagination of 19th century German philologists and linguists.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »

Indeed.  Bede.  A single line in Bede.  Compounded by the imagination of 19th century German philologists and linguists.

Yep. I love St. Bede. But I don't think there is any evidence that, in this particular case, he knew what he was talking about. AFAIK, modern scholarship thinks he was engaged in a bit of bad folk etymology and simply didn't know where the English word came from.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »

MAYFIELD, Ky. (BP) -- Southern Baptists originally did not attach much significance to Easter. This was much the same regarding Christmas.

I have come across this on the fringes of Baptist and other Protestant life. I believe it is called "the regulative principle". The idea is based on 'sola scriptura', and the aim is to have a religion which contains nothing that is not specifically in scripture - such as the date of Christ's birth, or the date of his death and resurrection. It does not of course means that these people have any less a hold on the doctrines of his actual birth, death and rising again, only that they do not mark them on any particular date as none is specified in scripture.

I have friends who hold such views: the husband is an Afrikaaner, and I suspect that such views may be widespread in his homeland too.

Most Baptists of course celebrate Christmas on 25th December, and Easter on the western date in Britain and the eastern date in Greece.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:48:21 PM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »

Most Baptists of course celebrate Christmas on 25th December, and Easter on the western date in Britain and the eastern date in Greece.

Greek Old Calendarist Baptists. LOL.

David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »

Yeah... I could start a new denomination!
 Wink

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »

Yeah... I could start a new denomination!
 Wink

No, Mr Young!!!! Resist the Dark Side!!!  Make the Protestant Denominational Splitting end!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! Cry

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 10:45:56 PM »

Who cares, we celebrate Pascha, not Easter  Grin
There's a difference?

We love to make distinctions.  That is not the only thing St. Bede the Venerable was wrong about with regard to the resurrection, but in general his works are good.  But that is another topic altogether. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: