OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 01:30:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Developing a prayer rule  (Read 795 times) Average Rating: 0
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »

Since I'm non-Orthodox, should I discuss my daily prayer habits with my Orthodox priest?  I would like to ensure that my daily practices are fine from an Orthodox perspective.

Tasting is Believing
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »

Absolutely.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

It would be a great idea to get the little black OCA prayer book.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »

That's exactly what I'm hoping not to do.

Tasting is Believing
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »

Theres an OCA book?  Similar to the little red Antiochian book?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »

Theres an OCA book?  Similar to the little red Antiochian book?

The only personal prayer book I know of from the OCA is the St. Tikhon's Press Orthodox Daily Prayer Book.

It's similar in size and content to the Jordanville. Quite nice, in my opinion.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »

The only personal prayer book I know of from the OCA is the St. Tikhon's Press Orthodox Daily Prayer Book.

There's a 2008 revision available, too.

Tasting is Believing
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »

Why?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »

Since I'm non-Orthodox, should I discuss my daily prayer habits with my Orthodox priest?  I would like to ensure that my daily practices are fine from an Orthodox perspective.

I would not see any reason as to why not discuss it with a priest if you are concerned.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »

My priest recommended that I get a prayer book.  There are so many that I have no clue what would be best.  I go to an OCA parish.

Tasting is Believing
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »

My priest recommended that I get a prayer book.  There are so many that I have no clue what would be best.  I go to an OCA parish.
Don't overthink it.

Ask your priest for his recommendation and then act on it.

'Tis better to pray with the Antiochian Red Book than to not pray for worry that you don't have the right equipment.

I could go on but you get the picture.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:42:48 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 10:06:20 PM »

May I draw your attention to the sticky topic about starting daily prayer it seems to be in the line of this discussion as well.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 10:21:58 PM »

My priest recommended that I get a prayer book.  There are so many that I have no clue what would be best.  I go to an OCA parish.

Well, if you want a prayer-book that would be in line with your local parish use-

There is the Jordanville Prayerbook, which seems to be the standard go-to with the Russian Orthodox and their descendants. It also has some prayers from Matins and Vespers and the text of the Divine Liturgy

St Tikhon's Prayer Book has the same (and one or two extra) Morning and Evening prayers as the Jordanville, but uses the "Revised" liturgical English, which would be a good choice if this is what your parish uses (Thees and Thous, but not "-ests" and "-eths").

St Herman of Alaska has one which follows the St Tikhon/ Jordanville format, but in Modern English. If your parish doesn't use the "Thees" and "Thous" this might be a good one.

Keep in mind, one probably shouldn't attempt to pray every prayer listed for the Morning and Evening prayers in the above mentioned books from the start- it is quite a rigorous prayer rule, one which I would certainly not attempt (I have enough on my hands with the rather shorter Morning Prayer rule found in the HTM prayer book). Pick one that best suits the language of your parish and discuss a prayer rule with your priest. You should probably talk to him again and ask which one he recommends.

The Morning and Evening prayers in the back of the Orthodox Study Bible are fairly common cross-jurisdictional prayers with less for the beginner to attempt. The Evening prayers are more aimed toward the Greek/Antiochian tradition though- the Troparia for the Evening will be completely different from what you hear at your parish if there's ever a Compline service with the Prayers before Sleep.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »

The Morning and Evening prayers in the back of the Orthodox Study Bible are fairly common cross-jurisdictional prayers with less for the beginner to attempt. The Evening prayers are more aimed toward the Greek/Antiochian tradition though- the Troparia for the Evening will be completely different from what you hear at your parish if there's ever a Compline service with the Prayers before Sleep.

Now why didn't I look there - Thank you.

Not all those who wander are lost.
puppyshoes

I asked God for the Truth, it was there all along!

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »

As a convert, I have found formal daily prayer the hardest thing I have encountered.  I pray my own informal prayers and the Lord's Prayer.  I seem to have a hard time reading the prayers in my prayer book every day.  I asked my priest if Satan was keeping me from the daily rule of prayer.  He told me to start with the first prayers, the  ones through the Lord's prayer, then gradually add more.  Also do the same in the evening.  I have such difficulty  with the discipline of prayer.  I'm too tired at night, or I'm busy in the morning.  Always an excuse.  I live near the Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordonville NY.  The prayer book I bought in the bookstore  is complete in every detail, it even has the the Divine Liturgy in it's entirety, not the usual "Reader's Digest" version most Church's use these days.  It's  my own failings, I can't blame others, or my Church of Christ upbringing.  I know better, sometimes I wonder if on Judgement Day when Christ asks me why I feed my dogs first, as if they were more important than praying to Him and asking for forgiveness for my sins or asking our Holy Mother to intercede on my behalf.  I see everyone else's sins, so quick to think, I don't commit adultery or  drink too much, I'm a "good woman," not like those other single women.  Then I remember the sinner praying '"Lord have mercy on me, a sinner." 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: