Author Topic: Taking A New Name  (Read 55754 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Taking A New Name
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
Basil.
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orhodox inside of Finland
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2016, 04:50:05 PM »
Why would your political opinions have any effect on a question like that?

Stick with your name. That's probably a Saint's name anyway and the Saint has been praying for you all the way. I picked a Saint probably based probably on closest phonetic equivalent and felt at home right away. Quite the opposite to the phase when I tried to pick and choose some etymologically and for me personally meaningful option.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:57:03 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Saxon

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »

The idea is to find qualities in a saint with which you identify.

Stick with your name. That's probably a Saint's name anyway and the Saint has been praying for you all the way. I picked a Saint probably based probably on closest phonetic equivalent and felt at home right away. Quite the opposite to the phase when I tried to pick and choose some etymologically and for me personally meaningful option.

I've been told that I cannot, and I don't particularly want to anyway. My priest requested that I choose a Russian or Byzantine name; whether this is for the purposes of keeping the cultural life of this ROCOR parish "alive" I didn't ask. I simply don't feel any affinity with St. William of Gellone, or any of the other obscure St. Williams of the pre-schism era, and associate them much more with the Latin church, which I really want nothing to do with.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »
You could just humbly submit to your priest and ask him to name you. After all, you are his spiritual child.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »

Why an Earth?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »

I've been told that I cannot, and I don't particularly want to anyway. My priest requested that I choose a Russian or Byzantine name; whether this is for the purposes of keeping the cultural life of this ROCOR parish "alive" I didn't ask. I simply don't feel any affinity with St. William of Gellone, or any of the other obscure St. Williams of the pre-schism era, and associate them much more with the Latin church, which I really want nothing to do with.
in which case a Russian or Greek name would be fine.

It is not, nor should it be made, necessary.

When you say it requested a "a Russian or Byzantine name" was that one that Russsians/Greeks have, or was it Yuri or Yiorgios over George?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Saxon

« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2016, 09:09:17 PM »

When you say it requested a "a Russian or Byzantine name" was that one that Russsians/Greeks have, or was it Yuri or Yiorgios over George?

The latter; ie. if I choose St. Basil the Great, I'll be Vasily within the church community.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:39 PM »

The latter; ie. if I choose St. Basil the Great, I'll be Vasily within the church community.
They don't speak English?

Utterly unnecessary.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • The icon is of myself
  • Faith: Dyophistie / anti-severian/
  • Jurisdiction: With Pews
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2016, 10:27:54 PM »

2. Tsar Nicholas II - I'm a huge supporter of monarchy - to the extent that absolute monarchy is my ideal form of government - and the last Tsar gave up his life in the fight first against liberalism, and then against the Satanic forces of Marxism which brought death and destruction on an unprecedented scale to Russia.
😹😹😹😹😹😹
Oh my....
Holy martyr Proterius, patriarch of Alexandria,  pray for us!
Pro-homosexual Hypocrite in residence

Offline Saxon

« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »

They don't speak English?

Utterly unnecessary.

Most know English, but they choose to converse in Russian. If they want to maintain the cultural life of the parish then that's their business; I'm the outsider.

2. Tsar Nicholas II - I'm a huge supporter of monarchy - to the extent that absolute monarchy is my ideal form of government - and the last Tsar gave up his life in the fight first against liberalism, and then against the Satanic forces of Marxism which brought death and destruction on an unprecedented scale to Russia.
😹😹😹😹😹😹
Oh my....

Elaborate.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »
^If you are a Catechumen you are not an outsider. You are Orthodox.

Offline Saxon

« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
^If you are a Catechumen you are not an outsider. You are Orthodox.

Indeed, but I do feel as though I'm a cultural outsider. Everyone has been very welcoming, but this is by and large still a Russian expatriate parish.

Offline AClaire11

• Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Episcopate
« Reply #237 on: October 04, 2016, 11:50:33 PM »
If my middle name is Claire and I've been told that's equivalent to Svetlana or Photini, could I use Claire or would it have to be one of the other two?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #238 on: October 05, 2016, 12:08:31 AM »
Putin.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #239 on: October 05, 2016, 12:23:51 AM »
If my middle name is Claire and I've been told that's equivalent to Svetlana or Photini, could I use Claire or would it have to be one of the other two?
Good question. There is definitely no saint with my mother's name, but it's roughly and distantly related to Susanna, so I wonder if she may take either the OT woman or the Roman martyr as a patron and just keep her name, if she actually enters the Church.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline Saxon

« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
Putin.

Well Vladimir would be an ideal name for a convert.

As far as my search, my priest recommended either Tsar Nicholas or Patriarch Tikhon, saying that as new martyrs they should have more patrons.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #241 on: October 05, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
Good question. There is definitely no saint with my mother's name, but it's roughly and distantly related to Susanna, so I wonder if she may take either the OT woman or the Roman martyr as a patron and just keep her name, if she actually enters the Church.
If the pre-Orthodox name is understood as a variant of a saint's name, and the intention is to honour that saint, I don't see that there's a problem in using the form to which one is accustomed.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #242 on: October 05, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #243 on: October 05, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #244 on: October 05, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »

I don't know what your priest will tell you, but I don't think it should be a problem.  A saint's name in translation is still a saint's name, and there are precedents already in the tradition.
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline AClaire11

• Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Episcopate
« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies! I do love St Photini, but as an Anglo would feel very strange being called that or Svetlana. And I dislike my first name and have occasionally toyed with the idea of going by Claire, so I'd be willing to start bring called that outside of church, as well.