OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 05:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace does not come to those who tuck in their shirts and wear neck ties  (Read 2298 times) Average Rating: 0
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« on: May 05, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »

Think about the ranks of angels and saints. None of them could ever conceive of tucking in their shirts or wearing neck ties. Nor will they help those who offend the righteous order of dress on earth. Those are things of the Satan's regime to make men look like docile servants of the apostate corporate state. We must dress like the saints to gain any rank in the celestial Kingdom.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »

I tend to agree with this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »

Right arm, farm out, gravy!

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »

8 seconds I'll never have back.

Would someone please run this guy's IP to see whose troll account this is?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »

laugh

how low can you go ?

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

I never wear suits to Church. I'd rather go naked, let God see me as I am.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:44:02 PM »

laugh

how low can you go ?

Grin At least I'm giving him credit by assuming he's just a wind up merchant.  If he's not...  angel

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »

A bit too dogmatically  expressed, but there may be some legitimacy behind the statement of the OP. Modest and humble attire certainly can't hurt our spiritual progress. I personally agree that it is better to have the lower waist region covered rather than tucking in the shirt. Nothing wrong with that I don't think. But I don't agree with the dogmatic attitude of the OP. Just my opinion.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »

Well, stick around, amartin.  Some people seem to enjoy playing this game.

...there may be some legitimacy behind the statement of the OP.
Nope, it was a stupid, as are the rest of his comments.

But I don't agree with the dogmatic attitude of the OP.

Other than that, brilliant and profound observations from Elder amartin.  Keep 'em coming for our salvation!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »

i feel guilty sometimes being the only guy in choir without a tie or jacket
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

Think about the ranks of angels and saints. None of them could ever conceive of tucking in their shirts or wearing neck ties. Nor will they help those who offend the righteous order of dress on earth. Those are things of the Satan's regime to make men look like docile servants of the apostate corporate state. We must dress like the saints to gain any rank in the celestial Kingdom.

I kind of agree with this.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

We must dress like the saints to gain any rank in the celestial Kingdom.
Let's see- many of the saints wore hair shirts because the discomfort helped keep a constant sense of asceticism. More of the saints wore robes, tunics, and other mid-Roman Empire clothing. Some of the saints wore armor and kept themselves kempt as befit their service in the army.

You are either advocating everyone return to wearing robes, armor, and other mid-Roman Empire dress, along with hair shirts or heavy chains, or some such similar attire, or you are speaking nonsense.

That, or you could be telling me I actually should wear a tie, as it is the most uncomfortable piece of clothing in Western attire, and thus will help me keep a constant sense of asceticism.

Make up your mind, dude.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »

Do angels wear shirts and ties?  Roll Eyes
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

I wear a button-up shirt with a clean white t-shirt underneath it, and yes, I tuck it in. This is fairly standard, respectful but understated dress in the Western world, which is where I attend liturgy. Deal with it.

Incidentally, I've had Coptic friends tell me that I am being too formal because I button up the shirt rather than leaving the first few buttons unbuttoned, but I think that style looks sloppy and it makes me feel uncomfortable, like my shirt is moving around too much/falling off, especially during prostrations that we frequently do. They too can deal with it.

(I'm such a rebel...me and my button up church attire...haha...  Grin Cool)

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »

Do angels wear shirts and ties?  Roll Eyes

*sigh* LBK, you are so up on iconography, but apparently have never seen any Anime. The correct answer is "all the time, at least in Japan".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:27:20 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »

Well we could always go naked like we were meant to be but I would cause too much of a distraction.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »

I say we open a poll on which one of the big wiseasses on this board he really is.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »

wear a tie, as it is the most uncomfortable piece of clothing in Western attire, and thus will help me keep a constant sense of asceticism.

so true  laugh laugh

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

I wear a button-up shirt with a clean white t-shirt underneath it, and yes, I tuck it in. This is fairly standard, respectful but understated dress in the Western world, which is where I attend liturgy. Deal with it.

Incidentally, I've had Coptic friends tell me that I am being too formal because I button up the shirt rather than leaving the first few buttons unbuttoned, but I think that style looks sloppy and it makes me feel uncomfortable, like my shirt is moving around too much/falling off, especially during prostrations that we frequently do. They too can deal with it.

(I'm such a rebel...me and my button up church attire...haha...  Grin Cool)

Tongue laugh laugh laugh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »

If you don't wear a tie, how will you disguise it when sweat goes through your shirt collar? How will amartin know who does and doesn't have grace? And what will you have to slap someone with when they make too much noise in church?

I think this guy may be Stickman.

amartin

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »

Biro, you are a very violent person, you want to slap people, and you keep cussing at me and calling me names. Please stop the harassment.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »

Biro, you are a very violent person, you want to slap people, and you keep cussing at me and calling me names. Please stop the harassment.

Thanks, Sticky, now go throw a toaster in the bathtub.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure the slapping thing was a joke.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
amartin

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »

The righteous do not joke like that. There is not much exemplar behavior on this message board.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »

Do you people not know who amartin IS?!  Shocked

I'm going to need this.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »

The righteous do not joke like that. There is not much exemplar behavior on this message board.
then please, get the hell out of here if you dont like it, and dont let the door hit your butt on the way out

Post modified by moderator to clean up profanity  -PtA
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:47:30 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

SCREW BON JOVI!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »

Well, if you're the standard of what is righteous, I'd rather be unrighteous any day of the week.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
amartin

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »

then please, get the hell out of here if you dont like it, and dont let the door hit your butt on the way out

More cussing...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:48:19 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »

More cussing...

more dodging the point of what is being said....

see, two can play at this game
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:48:40 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

SCREW BON JOVI!
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »

amartin, I must admit, I have failed to see the purpose of all this. You have made several threads over the last days in which you have made a statement about different theological or ethical subjects. That have been done many times before, but in all those other cases, I could always see a meaning with it. Many of them have let to very interesting discussions, but in this case I am confused. Maybe I just can't see it. So I am asking you(and please don't take this as an attack) what is your intention with all these posts? Are you trying to convince us of something, or do you just wish to discuss these subjects? (If the latter is the case, I think that maybe, we should all try a different approach).

I am merely curious.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
amartin

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »

amartin, I must admit, I have failed to see the purpose of all this. You have made several threads over the last days in which you have made a statement about different theological or ethical subjects. That have been done many times before, but in all those other cases, I could always see a meaning with it. Many of them have let to very interesting discussions, but in this case I am confused. Maybe I just can't see it. So I am asking you(and please don't take this as an attack) what is your intention with all these posts? Are you trying to convince us of something, or do you just wish to discuss these subjects? (If the latter is the case, I think that maybe, we should all try a different approach).

I am merely curious.

Thank you for the non-hostility.

In actuality, I am trying to get a feel for how mainline Eastern Orthodox people feel about these issues. It is an education process for me as I learn about the psychology of spiritual apostasy. And others get the benefit of perhaps hearing righteousness for the first time.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »

lol  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:44:45 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »

You're right:

]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:47:14 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »

Ricky Martin?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I am merely curious.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

Ricky Martin?

A Martian?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »

i always walk up in the church stuntin hard in my gucci suit.  everyone watches me as i walk in, with my alligator boots, and venerate the icons.  then, i go stand in MY spot. better hope no ones standing in my spot. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »

when two or three agree on an idiocy, lo! stupidity is in the midst of them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »

It is an education process for me as I learn about the psychology of spiritual apostasy. And others get the benefit of perhaps hearing righteousness for the first time.

Sigline material.

Actual sig-line material.  Well played!

Sorry for indirectly feeding the troll that is "amartin"

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »

Amartin is the greatest thinker this forum has ever seen.  The Great Platypus has spoken and he approves of the prophesies of his servant, the martin:

amarten
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 10:09:04 PM »

We need to build a large anti-bourgeois front . I detect some potential towards that in the op's statement.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »

augustin, GMF, Punch,

and yes, orthonorm approve of this message (sorta).

The world is coming to an end.

(sorta)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »

We need to build a large anti-bourgeois front . I detect some potential towards that in the op's statement.
by all means. Forward!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »

augustin, GMF, Punch,

The world is coming to an end.

(sorta)

When the "dress for success" stuff was going on a few years back, I was asked why I refused to wear a tie.  I told the gathering of managers and supervisor that I saw a tie as a man's version of a tampon string.  When their heads got too far up their rear, someone could grab their tie and pull it back out.  For some reason, fewer and fewer people wore ties over the next few months.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 10:50:20 PM »

There's a surprise. I was wondering where you were.

I'm going to need this.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »

Quick show of hands- how many of us here actually do wear ties to church on a regular basis?

How many of us attend a parish where the people our age normally wear ties as regular Sunday attire?

How many us attend parishes where those wearing ties are of that "you wear a tie to church" cross-denominational generation?

I'm just wondering where this epidemic of pants-tucking tie-wearing is, 'cause I sure as spit don't see it, and I currently attend a Greek Country Club parish.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:57:29 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »

think about the ranks of angels and saints none of them could ever conceive of using periods or other punctuation nor will they help those who offend the righteous order of scribing on earth those are things of the satans regime to make men look like docile servants of the apostate corporate state we must scribe like the saints to gain any rank in the celestial kingdom

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »

think about the ranks of angels and saints none of them could ever conceive of using periods or other punctuation nor will they help those who offend the righteous order of scribing on earth those are things of the satans regime to make men look like docile servants of the apostate corporate state we must scribe like the saints to gain any rank in the celestial kingdom

PUNCTUATION LIKE LOWER CASE LETTERS IS A WESTERN INNOVATION THAT DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE ORIGINAL GREEK TEXTS AND THUS SHOULD BE AVOIDED BY ALL PIOUS ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »

When the Bible was written, NO ONE wore pants.

Thread over. Isa wins again.

Silly Stars
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 12:23:31 AM »

I think a necktie can look very nice. Some of you hippies need to grow up and get a job. Stupid boomers...
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »

Dude you should see me in my custom     . You off the rack jack.

Lighten up.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 02:51:56 AM »

I personally agree that it is better to have the lower waist region covered rather than tucking in the shirt.
What do you think pants do?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 02:57:43 AM »

I personally agree that it is better to have the lower waist region covered rather than tucking in the shirt.

A lot of pants don't cover much up these days. Even loose dress slacks can still reveal the form of the posterior. I think it would be nice if men and women could all wear robes to Church. But we don't want to look too different from the world, otherwise people might think we actually are different from the world.

That being said, I have much bigger issues to worry about regarding my salvation than what people wear.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 03:03:17 AM »

A lot of pants don't cover much up these days. Even loose dress slacks can still reveal the form of the posterior. I think it would be nice if men and women could all wear robes to Church. But we don't want to look too different from the world, otherwise people might think we actually are different from the world.

I not sure I agree with the above statement, since I'm not really sure what anyone could gain by looking at my butt, but I certainly agree with the below, so I'll just leave it at this. Wink

That being said, I have much bigger issues to worry about regarding my salvation than what people wear.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:04:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:07 AM »

so according to the title of this thread I should have grace as I usually don't tuck in my shirt or wear a neck tie when I go to church

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2012, 04:17:08 AM »

...otherwise people might think we actually are different from the world.

But we are. John 15:18-19

On a more personal note, I wish that I did not have to tuck my shirt in at Church for 'male reasons'. Most slacks are rather tight nowadays and can show your manly parts if you get 'excited' during Liturgy. In normal circumstances, your shirt can be used to hide it. But when it is tucked in at Liturgy, there is nothing to hide it.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2012, 07:01:20 AM »

I am merely curious.

In actuality, I am trying to get a feel for how mainline Eastern Orthodox people feel about these issues. It is an education process for me as I learn about the psychology of spiritual apostasy. And others get the benefit of perhaps hearing righteousness for the first time.

I think this is where the problem lies. Righteousness in the Orthodox Church is seen as an entirely different thing than what you have described. Righteousness doesn't necessarily belong to the one who is able to pray the longest or the one who appear as the most pious. It belongs to he who seeks God with all his heart, he who humble himself before the Lord and who tries to follow the commandmensts of Christ. You asked us in another thread if we saw ourselves as righteous. If I look into myself and I see that I have sinned, that I have not done all I could to change myself,  should I then lie to myself by calling myself righteous, or should I acknowledge that I need to work harder.

Saint Maria of Paris said this:  

'At the Last Judgment I will not be asked whether I satisfactorily practised asceticism, nor how many bows I have made before the divine altar: I will be asked whether I fed the hungry, clothed the naked, visited the sick, and the prisoner in his jail. That is all I will be asked.'

-St Silouan the athonite
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 08:02:31 AM »

Do angels wear shirts and ties?  Roll Eyes
Not on casual Fridays.

Proverbs 22:7
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »

I think a necktie can look very nice. Some of you hippies need to grow up and get a job. Stupid boomers...

Well said Alveus.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2012, 08:10:51 AM »

"Grace does not come to those who tuck in their shirts and wear neck ties"
So Grace likes guys who dress down a little? Well that's her perogative.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »

Dude you should see me in my custom     . You off the rack jack.

Lighten up.

Grin

I'm going to need this.
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »

I never wear suits to Church. I'd rather go naked, let God see me as I am.
There's a Protestant group for that too.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

laugh laugh laugh
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

If this is the Grace the OP is referring to, then I can certainly understand. She's worth the suit and tie.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »

On a more personal note, I wish that I did not have to tuck my shirt in at Church for 'male reasons'. Most slacks are rather tight nowadays and can show your manly parts if you get 'excited' during Liturgy. In normal circumstances, your shirt can be used to hide it. But when it is tucked in at Liturgy, there is nothing to hide it.

Cheesy

Thanks for making my day!
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

Cheesy

Brother James, you are in dire need of purification, let alone theosis!
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »

Someone needs to help you with proper technique. Especially since you're staring at all the pretty girl during liturgy.

I'm going to need this.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »

...otherwise people might think we actually are different from the world.

But we are. John 15:18-19

ah, the joys of adolescence.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2012, 05:48:54 PM »

Someone needs to help you with proper technique. Especially since you're staring at all the pretty girl during liturgy.
Or watching a hot guy doing prostrations. Wink

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »

I am merely curious.

I think this is where the problem lies. Righteousness in the Orthodox Church is seen as an entirely different thing than what you have described. Righteousness doesn't necessarily belong to the one who is able to pray the longest or the one who appear as the most pious. It belongs to he who seeks God with all his heart, he who humble himself before the Lord and who tries to follow the commandmensts of Christ. You asked us in another thread if we saw ourselves as righteous. If I look into myself and I see that I have sinned, that I have not done all I could to change myself,  should I then lie to myself by calling myself righteous, or should I acknowledge that I need to work harder.

Saint Maria of Paris said this:  

'At the Last Judgment I will not be asked whether I satisfactorily practised asceticism, nor how many bows I have made before the divine altar: I will be asked whether I fed the hungry, clothed the naked, visited the sick, and the prisoner in his jail. That is all I will be asked.'

Amen x3.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »

I am merely curious.

Thank you for being forthright. It seems to me that your postings are not designed to stimulate a conversation but to satisfy pre-formed conclusions about "the psychology of spiritual apostasy." Of course. we all get to benefit from "hearing righteousness for the first time." Have I gotten this right so far?

ADDED: What do you think of the following paragraphs from the Forum Rules?

Forum Purpose & Place of the Non-Orthodox

To be clear, this site exists as an Orthodox Forum where people who identify themselves as Orthodox are given a place to discuss things pertinent to the Orthodox Faith.  In practicality, this means that there is a broad approach to allowing people from the Eastern Orthodox "Majority", the Eastern Orthodox "Traditionalists", and the Oriental Orthodox "Non-Chalcedonians" to post on topics relating to Orthodoxy.  It should be emphasized that it is the policy of this site that no one is required to affirm that any of the other groups are canonical or Orthodox, but rather the purpose of the broad approach is to allow broad discussion on topics that in academic discourse are labeled "Orthodox studies."

People who do not fit this broad, academic definition of Orthodox, such as Roman Catholics, Protestants, non-Christians, and others, are permitted to post here and to offer positive contributions to the site and corrections when their faith traditions are misrepresented.  They are not, however, permitted to attempt to bring people to other faiths.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:02:25 AM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »

Cheesy

No kidding, this got lulz from many.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »

So bowties are cool?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
First Man

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

I have seen a picture of St. Nikolai the Serb when he was in the United States and he was wearing a suit.
First Man

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »

The old flip and tuck?
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »

Folks, I am locking this thread until further notice as there are couple of issues that I plan to discuss with the moderator team. Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: