OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 06:07:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nuclear Shutdown Nears In Japan  (Read 414 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: May 05, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »

Nuclear Shutdown Nears In Japan

Barring an unexpected turnaround, Japan this weekend will become a nuclear-free nation for the first time in more than four decades, at least temporarily.

Japan's leaders have made increasingly desperate attempts in recent months to avoid just such a scenario, trying to restart plants shut for routine maintenance and kept that way while they sought to convince a skittish public that the reactors were safe after last year's nuclear catastrophe. But the government has run up against a crippling public distrust that recently found a powerful voice in local leaders orchestrating a rare challenge to Tokyo's centralized power.

As the last of 50 functional commercial reactors is set to go offline today, that local resistance to turning plants back on has confronted Japan's leaders with a grim scenario: With the nation's once-vaunted balance of trade already deteriorating, they now face the looming prospect of summer power shortages that could drive still more factories to close or move abroad...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »

this sounds like cutting off the nose to spite the face. despite the obvious and reasonable fear I hope they find a feasible and responsible solution other than the lights out option.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »

This is a really bad idea. Contrary to popular belief, nuclear power right now is the most practical source of power because it is cheap, abundant and clean if regulations are followed. Yes it can be dangerous and hazardous if not dealt with properly, but so can everything. And what is Japan going to do now? Revert to coil plants? That is even worse for the environment.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »

Actualy, I wouldn't say so. We are doing pretty well without nuclear power.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »

Germany, right?  Pretty bold statement from a country that imports 2/3 of its energy.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »

Germany, right?  Pretty bold statement from a country that imports 2/3 of its energy.

Close, Denmark.
Don't worry, many people don't even now that Denmark is a country. They usually think it's a city in Sweden or something  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »

This is a really bad idea. Contrary to popular belief, nuclear power right now is the most practical source of power because it is cheap, abundant and clean if regulations are followed. Yes it can be dangerous and hazardous if not dealt with properly, but so can everything. And what is Japan going to do now? Revert to coil plants? That is even worse for the environment.

QFT

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »

Close, Denmark.
Don't worry, many people don't even now that Denmark is a country. They usually think it's a city in Sweden or something  Smiley

Not me.  My mother spent about three years in the Danish concentration camp Oksbol, so I know where Denmark is located. 

Unfortunately, about 10% of your power comes from Nuclear.  It is just produced elsewhere.  About anything that you get from France is Nuclear, and a good part that comes from Germany is made possible by the Nuclear power Germany gets from France.  The middle of this decade found you guys with the highest electricity prices in Europe (you rely an awful amount on oil), so I am not sure how you define "pretty well". 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:46:36 AM »

Unfortunately, about 10% of your power comes from Nuclear
That might be true but generally, it can be pretty hard to tell exactly where the energi is coming from since the energy trade in northern Europe i pretty complexe.
The middle of this decade found you guys with the highest electricity prices in Europe
It's Denmark. All our prices are high.
(you rely an awful amount on oil)
True, but the sulfur is cleaned before it is released into the air.

My mother spent about three years in the Danish concentration camp Oksbol
It is truly a horrible place but at least it's not Zealand  Wink

-St Silouan the athonite
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 03:56:06 AM »

Not me.  My mother spent about three years in the Danish concentration camp Oksbol, so I know where Denmark is located. 

It was a refugee camp, and actually, Denmark made quite an effort to provide adequate supply to that camp and allowed for self-government with an elected mayor.

That has nothing to do with "concentration camps", in which the Nazis either directly killed people, or made them work in a way which would kill them within a few months.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: