OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 04:14:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evidence of neo-Protestantism in the Orthodox Study Bible  (Read 2968 times) Average Rating: 0
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »

It is very clear that having a translation of the Bible to study personally in a private setting in an intelligible language is extremely Protestant.

Are you in Orthonorm's graduate class on Using Sarcasm to Good Effect? If so, great job!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »

It is very clear that having a translation of the Bible to study personally in a private setting in an intelligible language is extremely Protestant.

Are you in Orthonorm's graduate class on Using Sarcasm to Good Effect? If so, great job!

I think he helped write the curriculum.  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »

I think what Isa means is that it is unfortunate that the OT itself is not translated entirely FROM the Septuagint, as opposed to what it is, a translation from the Septuagint in those areas where it differs greatly from the Masoretic. The fact that it does adhere to the Septuagint where the texts differ is a step in the right direction, the right direction being an entire translation of the Septuagint into the English language- not a further refined or superior translation (whatever that means) of the OT.

So we are waiting for a Holy Synod of an Orthodox Church on American soil to translate the Greek Septuagint to English?  Isn't the OT in the OSB a "good enough" English translation of the Septuagint?

Really the Septuagints and their versions in English translation is overblown. While interesting to have them in better English versions. It ain't going to do much for nearly anyone in Christendom.

Overblown?  What would you like to see in an English translation of the Septuagint?

Is there an English translation of the Septuagint that is not overblown?

Dropped a word(s).

I am saying the SeptuagintS (there is no Septuagint) don't matter. Their importance in English translation is almost nil for 99% of us.

There is not one Hebrew Old Testament or one Greek New Testament either. So, who cares?

Well, which version of the Septuagint should translations be based upon?

That wasn't the intent of my comment. I was making mention that there are multiple primary texts for the Greek and Hebrew Old Testaments and the Greek New Testament, not to mention the Scriptures translated in ancient times into other languages, as well as the Samaritan Scriptures, which are often used in translation for comparative purposes.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »

I don't really get the anti-OSB tendencies that some folks on here have. Sure, it's geared toward the Protestant convert-to-Orthodoxy group, however, in all my time using it, I've never really noticed anything that I would consider Protestant or heretical in it--and usually I notice those things quick. Unless you are reading it with the intention of finding something heretical that you could say is an example of Protestant influence, I don't think you'll find anything. For an English Bible that's practical, affordable, and Orthodox, the OSB is the best you are going to get. People like to go on about how it's more of a hybrid between the Masoretic and Septuagint (opposed to just Septuagint), but, let's face it: unless you are reading the documents in their original language, I don't think that you are going to notice anything different in them. And if you are really curious about a particular passage, then you're better off looking it up on the internet in its original Greek or using a Greek-English dictionary/concordance.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »

For those who have found discrepancies in the OSB, what Bible do you prefer and why?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »

For those who have found discrepancies in the OSB, what Bible do you prefer and why?

-crickets-

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »

The Novum Testamentum Graece for the New Testament and the Rahlfs Septuagint for the Old Testament. Those are the closest to the original Tongue

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:27:41 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »

On a somewhat serious note, why hasn't Cyrillic tried to publish a translation yet? Haven't you already gone through extensive efforts to translate large portions of the Scriptures into Finnish and English?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »

I see very, very little, if any mention of Roman Catholicism or anti-RC sentiment in the OSB.  The person who brought up neo-Protestantism hasn't bothered to substantiate it.

What part of "I got rid of it" did you miss?  Otherwise, I would be happy to go through the thing line by line with you.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »

The text itself (at least of the NT) is the NKJV which I happen to like.  What I would like to have is an Orthodox Bible without all of the commentary.  It adds bulk, but little substance.  If I could get a version of the OSB without the "S", I would buy it.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

The text itself (at least of the NT) is the NKJV which I happen to like.  What I would like to have is an Orthodox Bible without all of the commentary.  It adds bulk, but little substance.  If I could get a version of the OSB without the "S", I would buy it.

I'll talk with one of my priests and see if he might have any of the original pages of the OSB lying around that don't have the commentary to it (he helped to compile the OSB). My wife filed some of those papers when she worked for him, but she doesn't remember the content therein. If he does have any I'll see what I can do about getting you an OSB.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »

Same here. I've never much liked study notes, and as someone whose job involves arranging things on pages for print, I feel like visually the OSB notes are distracting from the text itself. This criticism  is not directed solely to this particular publication, however; I feel that way about most study Bibles.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »

I see very, very little, if any mention of Roman Catholicism or anti-RC sentiment in the OSB.  The person who brought up neo-Protestantism hasn't bothered to substantiate it.

What part of "I got rid of it" did you miss?  Otherwise, I would be happy to go through the thing line by line with you.

Christ is Risen!

The floor is yours, as it has been for the past year.   Cheesy
adampjr
Karamazov

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »

I got this Bible when I started inquiring, mostly because I didn't have any Bibles with the non-Protestant books. It's a little bulky, and as someone commented it doesn't add much substance.

It has interesting page articles (whatever I should call them, I think you'll know what I mean if you ahve one), especially coming into Orthodoxy, but teh footnotes are very repetitive.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »

The EOB for New Testament: I consider the accompanying articles superior; the translation more useful because it fills a niche of classy vernacular between the NKJV and other more vernacular translations, and because it draws from a variety of existing translations (including the YLT, one of my favorites) as well as neo-Orthodox perspectives on certain words. It also documents major variants and contains edifying word notes.

The RSV for Old Testament. Superior multi-approach commentary. One major flaw is "steadfast love" instead of "mercy" in the psalms, makes for clunky recitation.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:49:51 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2013, 03:43:24 AM »

as well as neo-Orthodox perspectives on certain words

Didn't it translate hypostasis as person - a meaning it only acquired in the fourth century AD?  Too bad that they translate the OT from Brendon's LXX, and those notes with what the MT says litter the pages too much and are largely superfluous.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:47:29 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2013, 03:55:30 AM »

On a somewhat serious note, why hasn't Cyrillic tried to publish a translation yet?

TBH, not much is needed for a good Orthodox Bible in English. Just revise the NETS to get rid of their de-emphasis on the Trinity, their gender-neutral language and opt for some small textual changes to make the text agree with the NT and the Fathers.

For the notes, just insert some Patristic quotes from the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture in the appropriate places supplemented by some later Orthodox Fathers. Oh, and don't forget to write silly introductions to each book ("This is Genesis - Moses wrote it etc").

A new translation of the NT wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:58:37 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Giuseppe Verdi
adampjr
Karamazov

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2013, 03:58:09 AM »

On a somewhat serious note, why hasn't Cyrillic tried to publish a translation yet?

TBH, not much is needed for a good Orthodox Bible in English. Just revise the NETS to get rid of their de-emphasis on the Trinity, their gender-neutral language and opt for some small textual changes to make the text agree with the NT and the Fathers.

For the notes, just insert some Patristic quotes from the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture in the appropriate places supplemented by some later Orthodox Fathers. Oh, and don't forget to write silly introductions to each book ("This is Genesis - Moses wrote it etc"). A new translation of the NT wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I'll write those silly introductions for you to take some of it off your plate.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2013, 08:17:26 AM »

Biblical ignorance among the laity en masse is tradtion?

Antiochian OC N.A.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »

Biblical ignorance among the laity en masse is tradtion?

If you think that's horrifying, I know a recipe for Irish babies that is sure to flip your wig.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Armchair Theologian

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2013, 04:36:35 AM »

As a Protestant, I've found the Orthodox Study Bible very useful and insightful. But then again, I've not had enough experience with Orthodoxy to tell you how truly 'Orthodox' it is or isn't. It just seems to me that people get too bent out of shape over language. Cause, you know, if it doesn't have the word 'theosis' in it about fifty thousand times, it's not Orthodox. Smiley  

As far as the 'noetic prayer' thing is concerned, I've never heard such a claim in any Orthodox source I've ever read, that only those who have fully developed interior prayer are 'temples of the Holy Spirit'. For one thing, St. Paul was writing this to the Corinthian Church, and in the same epistle he grills them for all kinds of things that show them to have been pretty far from perfect sanctity and spiritual maturity, and yet even these fledgling Christians are being told that they are temples of the Holy Spirit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:40:07 AM by Armchair Theologian » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »

Get rid of the transliterated Hellenised names too.
Tags: Orthodox Study Bible 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: