OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:57:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Roman Catholic faith well represented on Relevant Radio?  (Read 464 times) Average Rating: 0
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 05, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »

I have been listening to Relevant Radio this last week.  Some of it I found interesting and compelling, some of it I found rather political, and some of it seemed odd and confusing.  But I know that I lack the Roman Catholic context for much of it so I don't consider my confusion as a judgment against Relevant Radio.  My intent is not to debate the content, but to ask the resident Roman Catholics if you think that it represents the faith well.  Also, are there shows that you would recommend more than others?  Then again, maybe nobody listens to it.  The show "Go Ask Your Father" was kind of interesting and I thought Father Robert Barron's content was pretty compelling.  Just curious.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »

I have been listening to Relevant Radio this last week.  Some of it I found interesting and compelling, some of it I found rather political, and some of it seemed odd and confusing.  But I know that I lack the Roman Catholic context for much of it so I don't consider my confusion as a judgment against Relevant Radio.  My intent is not to debate the content, but to ask the resident Roman Catholics if you think that it represents the faith well.  Also, are there shows that you would recommend more than others?  Then again, maybe nobody listens to it.  The show "Go Ask Your Father" was kind of interesting and I thought Father Robert Barron's content was pretty compelling.  Just curious.
Lack of RC context?
 Huh
I know a lot of the Vatican's flock who listen to it.  But then, I know a lot of Orthodox who listen to it as well.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »

Lack of RC context?
 Huh
I know a lot of the Vatican's flock who listen to it.  But then, I know a lot of Orthodox who listen to it as well.

What I meant was that there are things they talk about and terms they use that I expect Roman Catholics readily understand that I don't.  One that comes to mind is "intentions".  I just lack the context right now to understand what they mean by prayer intentions and mass intentions.  I also don't really know what is meant by partial and plenary indulgences in regards to certain prayers and scripture readings.  I just don't get it.  But I felt the same way when I started inquiring into Eastern Orthodoxy...  That's all.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »

Lack of RC context?
 Huh

What I meant was that there are things they talk about and terms they use that I expect Roman Catholics readily understand that I don't.  One that comes to mind is "intentions".  I just lack the context right now to understand what they mean by prayer intentions and mass intentions.  I also don't really know what is meant by partial and plenary indulgences in regards to certain prayers and scripture readings.  I just don't get it.  But I felt the same way when I started inquiring into Eastern Orthodoxy...  That's all.
"intentions" is a well established Vatican term.  Definitely "Roman Catholic content."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »

Forgive me, I should have been more complete in my original post.  I know that "intentions" is a well established RC term.  Further to the point... When I was Baptist/Non-denom I occasionally listened to the Baptist radio station, but never felt it did a great job of representing Baptist teaching.  It was more "pop" christianity than anything.  I just am curious if what I am hearing is likewise pop-Catholicism, or if it represents middle of the road orthodox RC teachings.  I appreciate that you are engaging me in this, Ialmisry.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »

Forgive me, I should have been more complete in my original post.  I know that "intentions" is a well established RC term.  Further to the point... When I was Baptist/Non-denom I occasionally listened to the Baptist radio station, but never felt it did a great job of representing Baptist teaching.  It was more "pop" christianity than anything.  I just am curious if what I am hearing is likewise pop-Catholicism, or if it represents middle of the road orthodox RC teachings.  I appreciate that you are engaging me in this, Ialmisry.
It's on the conservative side of the Vatican's spectrum, definitely.  But definitely nothing extreme.  Popular, but not pop, I would say.  The Abp. who is leading the charge against Obamacare's mandate, and the head of the Vatican's hierarcy her, Card. Timothy Dolan, was a frequent guest (he used to be their bishop of Milwaukee, and hence next to Relevant Radio's HQ. 

Since I don't believe their "magisterium," I can't answer your OP, except that a number of "every Sunday Catholics" I know listen to it and support it.

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »

It's on the conservative side of the Vatican's spectrum, definitely.  But definitely nothing extreme.  Popular, but not pop, I would say.  The Abp. who is leading the charge against Obamacare's mandate, and the head of the Vatican's hierarcy her, Card. Timothy Dolan, was a frequent guest (he used to be their bishop of Milwaukee, and hence next to Relevant Radio's HQ. 

Since I don't believe their "magisterium," I can't answer your OP, except that a number of "every Sunday Catholics" I know listen to it and support it.

Thanks.
Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »

Wait, is Relevant Radio nation-wide? I listen to it occasionally because I'm in Madison.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »

I had assumed that it was, but after looking at the list of affiliate stations (http://relevantradio.com/about-us/affiliates), it is mostly the middle of the country.  But it appears the list isn't up to date.  The station in Minneapolis isn't listed so there might be others also not listed.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »

Lack of RC context?
 Huh

What I meant was that there are things they talk about and terms they use that I expect Roman Catholics readily understand that I don't.  One that comes to mind is "intentions".

I guess you're right. Having grown up LC, I would always just take for granted that when someone asked for prayer for something, it was their "prayer intentions".

I had assumed that it was, but after looking at the list of affiliate stations (http://relevantradio.com/about-us/affiliates), it is mostly the middle of the country.  But it appears the list isn't up to date.  The station in Minneapolis isn't listed so there might be others also not listed.

Ah, that's explains why I'm not familiar with it. I live in New England.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:31:17 AM »

Lack of RC context?
 Huh

What I meant was that there are things they talk about and terms they use that I expect Roman Catholics readily understand that I don't.  One that comes to mind is "intentions".

I guess you're right. Having grown up LC, I would always just take for granted that when someone asked for prayer for something, it was their "prayer intentions".

Ah, that's explains why I'm not familiar with it. I live in New England.
You can listen on-line
http://relevantradio.com/

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: