OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:37:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So...what do you all do for a living? Dreams/Ambitions  (Read 3471 times) Average Rating: 0
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2012, 11:51:43 PM »

My dream of being a jockey was crushed by my height. Never mind my total lack of equestrian experience, I blame it on the fact that I'm 5'8".

Sounds like you need to set your goals a little higher, ZZ. (Click here to finish this amazing post in style!)

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »

My dream of being a jockey was crushed by my height. Never mind my total lack of equestrian experience, I blame it on the fact that I'm 5'8".

Sounds like you need to set your goals a little higher, ZZ. (Click here to finish this amazing post in style!)

Haha! Nice touch. You're very punny.

SCORE

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2012, 01:05:23 AM »

Summary of employment positions: Contract Administrator, Business Administrator, and Labor Relations Officer

I had a productive career in the public sector, having served in the administration of George V. Voinovich when he was elected Mayor of Cleveland, Oh., I started as a monitor of the city's compliance with federal regulations of federal programs (the City had incurred disallowed costs by the two administrations that proceeded us) and was promoted to being the Contract Administrator for the City's federal job training programs, issuing Requests for Proposals (RFP's), negotiating and drafting contracts, submitting proposed legislation to the City Council, and managing the departmental staff.  I moved to being the Business Administrator of the county Board of Elections for 5 plus years, expanding my professional responsibilities to financial management, in addition to procurement.  I had an enjoyable career change when I became the Labor Relations Officer for the Ohio Lottery Commission, where I served for a little over 3 years.  Because I was in an "Exempt" employment position, the new Democrat administration of the State dismissed me, acting amicable about it, but I was unemployed for the next 6 plus months.  The county Treasurer, a fellow Greek Orthodox Christian, offered me a position, but it was a clerk's job, with an attendant reduction in salary, compared to what I had been doing, however, it continued me in the State retirement system.  Scandals in local county government brought on a "buy-out" which would pay for 3 additional years in the retirement system which gave me 30.5 years, 6 months more than I needed for full retirement.  I am thus happily benefiting from a wonderful retirement pension, with a salary benefit computed based on the higher salary I'd received in earlier years.

I consider this a God given benefit, to be able to retire at the age of 56, so I devote more time to work at my church.  I'm an Assistant Chanter, chanting at all the baptisms, weddings, and funerals, along with chanting at the other Divine Services of the church.  I'm a Parish Council member (served last year as Secretary), serving as Co-Chairman of the Catering and Leasing Committee, and the Stewardship Committee.  I was recently appointed to write a summary history of our parish, for an album the mother church in our area is publishing, on the occasion of their 100th anniversary, and last week, I represented my parish at the annual Metropolis Clergy-Laity Assembly.

Dreams, well, being a very practical person (see above),  I'm not much of a dreamer.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:07:56 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2012, 01:36:25 AM »

Currently I shape the minds/hearts of our 5 children. I am a walking talking cafeteria for our youngest child. I homeschool the oldest two and will do the same with the other 3 as well.

I would like to eventually go to college and major in Cultural Anthropology of NW Indigenous Indians with a minor in Ethnobotany. I would also like to become fluent in Lushootseed.

Dreams: to be debt free, sell our current tiny little house, buy a big house on acreage, start an outdoor school and enjoy life. I would also love, love, love to adopt some american indian children (preferably a set of siblings) since the American Indian Adoption Act means that a lot of native children end up in foster home merry go round until they age out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:42:51 AM by Quinault » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:43 AM »

I'm a senior .NET developer.
I'll break your app for you. Grin

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm one of those developers that expects it (I've been doing this for over a decade) and gets suspicious when development goes too smoothly. If it works first time it's almost certainly hiding something really terrible. As a result though, it means I tend to test my own code before it gets to the likes of you. Wish I could say the same for all of my juniors. When a release goes to our testing department I seem to spend my whole time farming out issues to the people who need to fix it - sometimes days go by and I barely get to touch code.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »

The problem is figuring what to do with it. Law might be cool, but Sauron tells me the employment market for lawyers right now is terrible.

There are way too many in Australia, I'll say that much.

It is probably true in the States, as much as it is here, that the corporate lawyers (the ones who actually earn decent money) are the first to lose out in a downturn.
Yes, we in the States have too many, and many more students who are getting law degrees.
The philosopher René Descartes once sat down at a bar with a lawyer and uttered his famous saying, "I think, therefore I am." The lawyer then said, "Oops," and disappeared.

Is that how St. John Chrysostom evaporated?

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »

The problem is figuring what to do with it. Law might be cool, but Sauron tells me the employment market for lawyers right now is terrible.

It is probably true in the States, as much as it is here, that the corporate lawyers (the ones who actually earn decent money) are the first to lose out in a downturn.
Yes, we in the States have too many, and many more students who are getting law degrees.

I agree. I will expand that to a more general trend that too many people are in college, period.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »

I agree. I will expand that to a more general trend that too many people are in college, period.

I have one kid in college now and one who graduated last year. The thing is that many many students who are in college cant make it to the end.
There were some real dopes that my kids were exposed to. i told them to give it a year and they will all be gone. That's what happened. College is hard. The undermenshen tend to drop out

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »

I have one kid in college now and one who graduated last year. The thing is that many many students who are in college cant make it to the end.
There were some real dopes that my kids were exposed to. i told them to give it a year and they will all be gone. That's what happened. College is hard. The undermenshen tend to drop out

And you say shame on me? That's a disgusting notion and YOU should know better.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »

What is the disgusting notion? That not everyone can be equally smart?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »

See the bolded sentence and take a guess. And I am sure your breadth of knowledge is exhaustive enough to understand the connotations of the German word Marc used no matter how poorly spelled. Marc knows what I mean I am sure.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2012, 02:06:39 AM »

I'm a senior .NET developer.
I'll break your app for you. Grin

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm one of those developers that expects it (I've been doing this for over a decade) and gets suspicious when development goes too smoothly. If it works first time it's almost certainly hiding something really terrible. As a result though, it means I tend to test my own code before it gets to the likes of you. Wish I could say the same for all of my juniors.
I wish I could say that of all the developers I've worked with. Hopefully, through my testing and validation efforts I can instill a stronger sense of quality in the minds of all the developers on my scrum team.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »

I guess that had I been back in Nazi Germany, they should have executed me along with the other untermenschen.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »

I guess that had I been back in Nazi Germany, they should have executed me along with the other untermenschen.

At least you spelled it right.

I'm going to need this.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »

See the bolded sentence and take a guess. And I am sure your breadth of knowledge is exhaustive enough to understand the connotations of the German word Marc used no matter how poorly spelled. Marc knows what I mean I am sure.

Damn son. Are you off your meds? Chill. You really have been itching for a fight the last few days.. Ummm I'll pass

There are many students who get into College that cant cut it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:09:30 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:46 AM »

Damn son. Are you off your meds? Chill. You really have been itching for a fight the last few days.. Ummm I'll pass

Indeed. There are more than quite a few that really should not be in college.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »

I usually use the word lumpenproletariat. Would that be better?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »

I usually use the word lumpenproletariat. Would that be better?

Well, students who cant cut it probably are not the offspring of the homeless or permanently unemployed. Smiley
They are the result of a High School education that is not very demanding and then get a stiff dose of reality once in College.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

There are also many that cannot afford it.  I am sorry, but your statement is idiotic.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »

There are also many that cannot afford it.  I am sorry, but your statement is idiotic.

What's idiotic about it?  When was the last time you were on a college campus as a student?  It's been 15 years for me and even back then I knew WAY too many people who should not have been there and were only there because they thought they had to be.  Most dropped out before their sophomore year.  The few that didn't dropped out mid way through junior.  The few of those that I've kept in touch with are just now graduating because they finally have the focus, discipline, and desire to actually get a degree. 

I'm all for people going to college, but only if they actually know what they want to study/do with their lives once they get out.  We, as a society, are forcing people to throw money away on an "education" that is anything but. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »

They are the result of a High School education that is not very demanding and then get a stiff dose of reality once in College
QFT

What's idiotic about it?  When was the last time you were on a college campus as a student?  It's been 15 years for me and even back then I knew WAY too many people who should not have been there and were only there because they thought they had to be.  Most dropped out before their sophomore year.  The few that didn't dropped out mid way through junior.  The few of those that I've kept in touch with are just now graduating because they finally have the focus, discipline, and desire to actually get a degree. 

I'm all for people going to college, but only if they actually know what they want to study/do with their lives once they get out.  We, as a society, are forcing people to throw money away on an "education" that is anything but
QFT Part 2

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »

So your contention is that most students drop out AFTER entering College only to discover later on that they cant afford it?

I think that is not the primary reason, at least in my own experience. I'm sure some students run out of money and for some reason cant get any loans or grants which are in most cases readily available. But I doubt this is the major reason.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2012, 02:15:30 PM »

My poor roommate Ron was a pretty serious student. He is an attorney these days.

We had two lovely ladies move into the dorm room right over us one floor up. Crystal and I forget her room mates name. They blasted music 24/7. They had really rough looking boyfriends around most of the time. They never went to class..Never...

Poor Ron needed his sleep. He would bang a broom handle on the ceiling (their floor) to get them to quiet down. Finally, he was so aggravated he went up there and had a talk with them ( see rough looking boyfriends comment )... He asked me if I would go with him.

"Oh no..I'm fine with never sleeping"  But Ron was much braver than me and went alone.

He was gone an hour or so. I thought they had murdered him. But he came back and said they had a really great talk. He offered to tutor one of them in math. After one full semester they both had 00.0 grade point averages and had to buckle down a bit more this semester or get booted.

Unfortunately, even with Ron's kind help they failed out.

One more quick one. There was guy named Chris who also lived in our Dorm. He got shot in the gut after a drug sale went bad. He recovered but it turned out that College really wasn't his thing and he left school.

So....pardon me for being jaded.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »

My poor roommate Ron was a pretty serious student. He is an attorney these days.

We had two lovely ladies move into the dorm room right over us one floor up. Crystal and I forget her room mates name. They blasted music 24/7. They had really rough looking boyfriends around most of the time. They never went to class..Never...

Poor Ron needed his sleep. He would bang a broom handle on the ceiling (their floor) to get them to quiet down. Finally, he was so aggravated he went up there and had a talk with them ( see rough looking boyfriends comment )... He asked me if I would go with him.

"Oh no..I'm fine with never sleeping"  But Ron was much braver than me and went alone.

He was gone an hour or so. I thought they had murdered him. But he came back and said they had a really great talk. He offered to tutor one of them in math. After one full semester they both had 00.0 grade point averages and had to buckle down a bit more this semester or get booted.

Unfortunately, even with Ron's kind help they failed out.

One more quick one. There was guy named Chris who also lived in our Dorm. He got shot in the gut after a drug sale went bad. He recovered but it turned out that College really wasn't his thing and he left school.

So....pardon me for being jaded.

Aside from the shooting in the guy and the names, you've just described my sophomore year in the dorms.  Years later I met the drug addled guy's brother, who is an asst DA now.  My old college chum is still bouncing around with no idea what to do with his life, although he did do a stint in rehab in Hawaii, of all places.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:28:59 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
fasteddy64

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »

I have been a Firefighter/EMT for nearly 23 years.

My dream is to retire soon and bcome a full-time RV'er.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »

QFT

OK, I've seen this numerous times.  What do the letters stand for and what does the phrase mean?  Thanks, y'all!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »

QFT

OK, I've seen this numerous times.  What do the letters stand for and what does the phrase mean?  Thanks, y'all!

Quoted for truth.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »

Dan Quayle was right. There are too many lawyers.  What happens when the sea is shark infested and there is just so much chum?  It isn't pretty.  If they have no work, they make work.  And that gets down right ugly.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: