OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:16:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Greek founded the Baptist church  (Read 537 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 04, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »

The title is a bit hyperbolic, but it seems that the Baptist practice of total immersion was in part (there were other factors) due to the advocacy by a Greek in England. A certain Marke Luker, "a Greek who was known to advocate [total] immersion before 1640," was a member of a church led by Samuel Eaton, the first "Particular" (Calvinist) Baptist church, established 1833.  [H. Leon McBeth, The Baptist Heritage, 1987, p. 43]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:00:08 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »

the first "Particular" (Calvinist) Baptist church, established 1833.  [H. Leon McBeth, The Baptist Heritage, 1987, p. 43]

McBeth got it wrong. It was 1633.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »

the first "Particular" (Calvinist) Baptist church, established 1833.  [H. Leon McBeth, The Baptist Heritage, 1987, p. 43]

McBeth got it wrong. It was 1633.
He got it right. I quoted McBeth incorrectly.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:37:04 AM »

it seems that the Baptist practice of total immersion was in part (there were other factors) due to the advocacy by a Greek in England. ... established 1633.

Actually, the Particular Baptists were not the first. The first Baptist church in England was the General (i.e. Arminian) Baptist church in London established in 1612 by English refugees returning from Holland, where they had begun the church a year or so earlier under the leadership of one John Smyth.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »

it seems that the Baptist practice of total immersion was in part (there were other factors) due to the advocacy by a Greek in England. ... established 1633.

Actually, the Particular Baptists were not the first. The first Baptist church in England was the General (i.e. Arminian) Baptist church in London established in 1612 by English refugees returning from Holland, where they had begun the church a year or so earlier under the leadership of one John Smyth.
True, but did the Smythians practice total immersion as a regular ritual? McBeth argues that it was the Particularists who really made immersion into a regular Baptist practice. The General Baptists did pouring, and some immersion now and then, until they imitated the Particularists in going for full immersion, so suggests McBeth.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

but did the Smythians practice total immersion as a regular ritual?... The General Baptists did pouring, and some immersion now and then,

I believe you are right, that they did indeed practise 'affusion' at first. I recall reading that recently when beginning some initial reading for a 400th anniversary we hope to put on at church later this year.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: