OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:36:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you consider yourself to be righteous?
I am among the righteous - 5 (15.2%)
I am somewhere in between - 3 (9.1%)
I am not among the righteous - 25 (75.8%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you righteous? Yes or no...  (Read 2727 times) Average Rating: 0
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« on: May 04, 2012, 06:41:26 PM »

Lets see how many here are among the righteous. The fact is that we have to be righteous to get into the level of heaven where the saints are. The poll is anonymous so it doesn't involve pride. For the record, I believe that I am only in between the righteous and the unrighteous. I am not intending to judge others...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:41:50 PM by amartin » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »

No. I am going to hell most certainly.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

Nuh-uh. I think I'll wind up swabbing the floors outside the Pearly Gates, while everybody else hands their "I kissed a puppy" or "I liked my Grandma" chits to St. Peter.  Undecided

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:52:01 PM »

Maybe some day. For now my condition is fairly close to the sick sinner mentioned in this verse:

"When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Mk. 2:17)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:53:09 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »

Actually, it does involve pride.  One doesn't have to be recognized in order to be prideful.  The moment a Christian believes himself to be righteous is the moment he is not.  

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »

No.  Are details necessary?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »

Levels of heaven you say?

How about 8-4?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »

On a subconscious level I obviously think I am very righteous which is why I act like the libertine I truly am despite all my pious posturing.

Tasting is Believing
amartin

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »

The moment a Christian believes himself to be righteous is the moment he is not.  

100% False. You have to believe that you are among the righteous in order to even receive the Mysteries.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »

The moment a Christian believes himself to be righteous is the moment he is not.  

100% False. You have to believe that you are among the righteous in order to even receive the Mysteries.

Holy things are for the holy. Yet only one is holy, and one is lord: Jesus Christ. We are allowed to commune because of God's grace, because we are in need of healing, not because we are already righteous.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

You obviously have no idea what the Pre-Communion Prayers have to say. Not to mention just about every other Orthodox prayer, even the ones said by priests in the altar during Liturgy.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

Actually, it does involve pride.  One doesn't have to be recognized in order to be prideful.  The moment a Christian believes himself to be righteous is the moment he is not.  

I agree.

Haughtiness...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

Holy things are for the holy. Yet only one is holy, and one is lord: Jesus Christ. We are allowed to commune because of God's grace, because we are in need of healing, not because we are already righteous.

Zing!  angel

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »

Lets see how many here are among the righteous. The fact is that we have to be righteous to get into the level of heaven where the saints are. The poll is anonymous so it doesn't involve pride. For the record, I believe that I am only in between the righteous and the unrighteous. I am not intending to judge others...

I wonder how many of the saints would answer to the positive on this poll....

I suspect none.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »

Who judges who is righteous?

(It's a rhetorical question.)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

Who judges who is righteous?

(It's a rhetorical question.)

I bet I could draw a big diagram with arrows in a circle, for this one. And then I'd explode.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »

My swag is righteous.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »

Okay, who's the perky camper who picked 'Yes'? Did you drink too much coffee this morning?

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »

Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls.  Matthew 11:29

Luke 1 :46-55
Douay-Rheims Bible   

46 And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord.

47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

48 Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

49 Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name.

50 And his mercy is from generation unto generations, to them that fear him.

51 He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.

52 He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble.

53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

54 He hath received Israel his servant, being mindful of his mercy:

55 As he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed for ever.
........//......

Luke 18:9-14

9He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10“Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayeda thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

1Peter 5:5

Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “

Proverbs 3:34
He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble

Proverbs 21:24
The proud and arrogant man--"Mocker" is his name; he behaves with overweening pride.

Proverbs 15:33

The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honor is humility!

proverbs 16:18

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »

My swag is righteous.
Nice! laugh laugh

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »

Okay, who's the perky camper who picked 'Yes'? Did you drink too much coffee this morning?

LOL you killed me biro! you are so hilarious!

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls.  Matthew 11:29

Douay-Rheims Bible   

48 Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

49 Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name.

51 He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.

53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

........//......

9He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10“Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayeda thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

The proud and arrogant man--"Mocker" is his name; he behaves with overweening pride.

The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honor is humility!

Wonder if acts420 will quote these about himself .... Roll Eyes
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »

LOL you killed me biro! you are so hilarious!

Thanks.  Smiley

amartin

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »

The truly righteous KNOW that they are righteous and don't mind telling people the truth because it's by cooperation with grace. To claim to not be righteous is to hide the light. Yashua said to let your light shine before all of humanity.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

The truly righteous KNOW that they are righteous and don't mind telling people the truth because it's by cooperation with grace. To claim to not be righteous is to hide the light. Yashua said to let your light shine before all of humanity.

The light that seems to come from us is actually from God. We are like mirrors reflecting His light. God cleans us because we are dirty mirrors, and we cooperate in helping to get ourselves clean, so that we become better and better at reflecting the light, but in the end it's really just His light, and He's the one who's pretty much doing most of the cleaning. We're just happy to not be so smudged any more, but it's not like we think we're the bees knees or something.

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." (Lk. 17:10)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:52:22 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »

CHRIST is the true light, and as we say in the prayers of the Agpeya, "in Your light, we shall see light".

This is the light which has illuminated the saints, not by declaring themselves righteous.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »

Douay-Rheims Bible   

........//......

Wonder if acts420 will quote these about himself .... Roll Eyes

I think you are getting your posters mixed up.

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

Nah, LBK meant acts420... the dialoguez have been degeneratin' over on one of the other threads...
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »

Nah, LBK meant acts420... the dialoguez have been degeneratin' over on one of the other threads...

I saw.

Acts420 didn't listen to my werdz ovs advizez on how to play da game.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »

To hide ones righteousness can be an act of humility. Humility comes from a peaceful heart. A person who is truly righteous doesn't need to proclaim his own righteousness, it is revealed by his life. Saint Seraphim of Sarov said "Acquire a peacefull heart and thousands around you will be saved".
I don't consider myself to be righteous. I don't strive to become a part of the Church because I think I am worthy of it. I do it because I acknowledge that I am sick and that the holy Mysteries are the medicin which God in his great mercy has granted us.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
amartin

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »

I guess "Orthodoxy" is a church of unrighteous sinners then?

IN THE NEW TESTAMENT THE MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH ARE CALLED SAINTS!

Saints means holy ones, or in other words the righteous.

How could you be so blind to this?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »

Please stop condemning. We all need forgiveness.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »

I'm not. Plenty of saints met in my time. I ain't one.

No false humble.

See a couple of you in hell.

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »

I read "Are you righteous?" and this is what immediately popped into my head. I think it sums it up nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgq-K2oYLo

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »

Sokath! His eyes uncovered!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »

I'm not. Plenty of saints met in my time. I ain't one.

No false humble.

See a couple of you in hell.

"We ain't going to hell folks"

Wink

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »

Hahaha. Yes, ZZ!

And amartin: Yes, of COURSE the Orthodox Church full of sinners! Go back and read what happened to the Donatists, Novatianists and other rigorists in early church history. They were condemned, one and all. Why? Because repentance is always available, so long as we live. And what is the key to repentance? Humility. This is why the saints rightly called it the greatest of all virtues, rather than elevating themselves above others as though they do not need it because they are already righteous.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »

I read "Are you righteous?" and this is what immediately popped into my head. I think it sums it up nicely:

hahaha!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »

Grin

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »

No man is without sin. To be righteous doesn't mean that you are without sin. It means to have God in your heart(I know, I sound like a protestant) and to follow the path which Christ showed us. Yes, the members of the church are called saints, but remember amartin, that Ananias and Sapphira were members of the Church and yet, they lied, not only to Peter but also to God(Acts, chapter 5).

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

off tangent, here is one story my grandpa told me when I was a child.

So these two men who have spent their lives in all manners of sin die and go to face the judgement seat of Christ. before Christ ,all the saints and angels their sins are read and are told to go to hell. none of them looked terrified instead suddenly one of the men started running towards hell, the other walked drugging his feet and after each step he turns his head and looks back at Christ.
seeing this the Lord tells the men, to stop and come back. the man that was running stops and comes running back but the other one started to smile and strolled like a confident man back to the judgement seat. The Lord then asked them each why they were behaving that way. the man who was running said;" Lord all my life I have spent disobeying you with great enthusiasm, so I see now that your judgement is just, and if it is the last thing I can do in obedience of you, then I will go with great enthusiasm to hell.' then the Lord turned to the other man and said what about you?  then the man answered," well Lord all my life I have heard that the Son of Mary is Merciful and Kind, I knew soon enough your heart will be moved by your mercy and that you will call me back I was anticipating your call.' so the story goes that the Lord was deeply moved by what they both said and forgave them and they entered paradise.

so his Loving kindness is infinite is the moral of the story Smiley

Isaiah 42:3 The bruised reed he shall not break, and smoking flax he shall not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:53:42 PM by Hiwot » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 09:05:09 PM »

LOL hilarious!

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »

It's what was in my heart.  Wink Tongue Cheesy

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »

amartin, I think the better question is "Are you a jackass?"

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »

I'm going with amartin

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: