OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 10:06:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biblical Hermeneutics  (Read 525 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »

Hello

Anyone have recommended works pertaining to Biblical hermeneutics?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »

From an Orthodox perspective? Haven't really found a whole lot on the subject in English (though I haven't looked for that type of book in probably 8 years now). Fwiw I have read Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church by Fr. John Breck, which covers with this topic in part, though a large chunk of the text is spent discussing the chiasmus concept, so it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Another one is The New Testament: An Orthodox Perspective, Vol. 1: Scripture, Tradition, Hermeneutics by Fr. Theodore G. Stylianopoulos; I don't recall getting much from that book as far as interpretation goes, but then it's been quite a few years since I read it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:00:28 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:26:12 AM »

Read Florovsky and Gadamer.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »

What work(s) of Florovsky?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »

From an Orthodox perspective? Haven't really found a whole lot on the subject in English (though I haven't looked for that type of book in probably 8 years now). Fwiw I have read Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church by Fr. John Breck, which covers with this topic in part, though a large chunk of the text is spent discussing the chiasmus concept, so it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Another one is The New Testament: An Orthodox Perspective, Vol. 1: Scripture, Tradition, Hermeneutics by Fr. Theodore G. Stylianopoulos; I don't recall getting much from that book as far as interpretation goes, but then it's been quite a few years since I read it.

This is a decent text. But really as mentioned above you could go to the source for where Fr. John pulls his method from: Gadamer or even better the beginning of all: Heidegger.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

What work(s) of Florovsky?

BUMP

Tasting is Believing
Tags: