Author Topic: Biblical Hermeneutics  (Read 653 times)

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Biblical Hermeneutics
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »
Hello

Anyone have recommended works pertaining to Biblical hermeneutics?

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Re: Biblical Hermeneutics
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »
From an Orthodox perspective? Haven't really found a whole lot on the subject in English (though I haven't looked for that type of book in probably 8 years now). Fwiw I have read Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church by Fr. John Breck, which covers with this topic in part, though a large chunk of the text is spent discussing the chiasmus concept, so it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Another one is The New Testament: An Orthodox Perspective, Vol. 1: Scripture, Tradition, Hermeneutics by Fr. Theodore G. Stylianopoulos; I don't recall getting much from that book as far as interpretation goes, but then it's been quite a few years since I read it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:00:28 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:26:12 AM »
Read Florovsky and Gadamer.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
What work(s) of Florovsky?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »
From an Orthodox perspective? Haven't really found a whole lot on the subject in English (though I haven't looked for that type of book in probably 8 years now). Fwiw I have read Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church by Fr. John Breck, which covers with this topic in part, though a large chunk of the text is spent discussing the chiasmus concept, so it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Another one is The New Testament: An Orthodox Perspective, Vol. 1: Scripture, Tradition, Hermeneutics by Fr. Theodore G. Stylianopoulos; I don't recall getting much from that book as far as interpretation goes, but then it's been quite a few years since I read it.

This is a decent text. But really as mentioned above you could go to the source for where Fr. John pulls his method from: Gadamer or even better the beginning of all: Heidegger.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Big Chris

• Formerly "mint"
  • Elder
  • I live by the river where the old gods still dream
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »
Tasting is Believing