OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:14:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Mad Men fans?  (Read 703 times) Average Rating: 0
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« on: March 28, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »

The new season just started, so I was just curious. Anybody else watch this show? What did you think of the premiere?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:12:11 PM »

Totally awesome, still my favorite show on TV. I'm glad they kept everything relativity normal for the first episode back, instead of going crazy with the plot twists and drama bombs. Going to have to pick up season 4, forgot about a lot of the story.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »

I feel the same way, but I'm starting at the beginning again- Season 1- just because it's been so long and I want to have it all fresh in my head.

One bummer about the premiere- no Betty! I really wanted to see what was up with her.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:37 AM »

I saw two episodes at a friend's house once.  I never got into it.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:23:48 AM »

Haven't been this excited about a TV show in many years.  I love it and have been watching it religiously since Season 1 Episode 2.  Episode 1 of Season 5 was great, especially the last scene, classic "Mad Men;" "...You don't have to stay forever I will understand."   I missed Betty being in it and to be critical, the Don's birthday party scenes were a little longer than necessary.  I didn't realize Megan was as hot as she is until I saw her cleaning the apartment; now I think she ranks with Joan and Betty.  I watched both hours twice.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:30:44 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »

Yeah, the birthday scenes were a bit long. They made their point and then some. So Joan's husband is still deployed... I'm curious to see how he is when he gets back.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »

I saw two episodes at a friend's house once.  I never got into it.
Yeah, I tried watching the first season on Netflix because it was so acclaimed, but I just found it really, really boring.

I also found it annoying how many winking-at-the-audience scenes there were about how backward people were in the 60s.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »

Another exceptional episode tonight.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:40 AM »

Another exceptional episode tonight.

OMG. That episode was intense! Seriously, Pete is so sleazy. I could not dislike his character more.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:07:54 AM »

Same here. Peggy leaving Sterling Cooper is big too.  What's with Lane and the embezzlement?

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 02:44:07 AM »

I can't get over Peggy leaving... I'm hoping she doesn't leave the show as well.

Lane has some serious issues going on with this embezzling thing. Crafty of him to manipulate Joan into shooting for partner instead of a lump sum. I wonder when he'll be found out?

How do you feel about the Megan acting thing? I'm pretty over it.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »

I'm not too interested in Megan's acting plans; can't quite figure out what is going on there--it may have something to do with Don eventually returning to his cheating ways, not sure though.  I wish they'd have shown more of how she was treated at the try-out.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »

Twenty-six minutes in and this episode is already killing me.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

A "dark" episode.  Lane offs himself, what was with his breaking his glasses?  Then, he must have had glasses in his office.  How about the reality looking Lane corpse after they cut him down from his tie?  Sally's explicit "becoming a women?"  And super aggressive Don, "I don't want Jaguar, I want Chevy."  What is happening?

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »

A "dark" episode.  Lane offs himself, what was with his breaking his glasses?  Then, he must have had glasses in his office.  How about the reality looking Lane corpse after they cut him down from his tie?  Sally's explicit "becoming a women?"  And super aggressive Don, "I don't want Jaguar, I want Chevy."  What is happening?

I agree, it was a dark episode. Surprisingly not dark- Betty's true maternal moments with Sally. Those are few and far between! Of course, she was passive-aggressive with Megan on the phone, but that's to be expected from her.

What I'm thinking is, if this was the penultimate episode and not even the finale, then what are we in store for next week?

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »

I have the same thoughts.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: