OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:22:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biblical Hermeneutics  (Read 521 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »

Hello

Anyone have recommended works pertaining to Biblical hermeneutics?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »

From an Orthodox perspective? Haven't really found a whole lot on the subject in English (though I haven't looked for that type of book in probably 8 years now). Fwiw I have read Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church by Fr. John Breck, which covers with this topic in part, though a large chunk of the text is spent discussing the chiasmus concept, so it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Another one is The New Testament: An Orthodox Perspective, Vol. 1: Scripture, Tradition, Hermeneutics by Fr. Theodore G. Stylianopoulos; I don't recall getting much from that book as far as interpretation goes, but then it's been quite a few years since I read it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:00:28 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:26:12 AM »

Read Florovsky and Gadamer.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »

What work(s) of Florovsky?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »

From an Orthodox perspective? Haven't really found a whole lot on the subject in English (though I haven't looked for that type of book in probably 8 years now). Fwiw I have read Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church by Fr. John Breck, which covers with this topic in part, though a large chunk of the text is spent discussing the chiasmus concept, so it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Another one is The New Testament: An Orthodox Perspective, Vol. 1: Scripture, Tradition, Hermeneutics by Fr. Theodore G. Stylianopoulos; I don't recall getting much from that book as far as interpretation goes, but then it's been quite a few years since I read it.

This is a decent text. But really as mentioned above you could go to the source for where Fr. John pulls his method from: Gadamer or even better the beginning of all: Heidegger.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

What work(s) of Florovsky?

BUMP

Tasting is Believing
Tags: