OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 06:52:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many folks on this board are actually, or have considered themselves to be..  (Read 2763 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: May 03, 2012, 10:16:25 PM »

How many folks on this board are actually, or have considered themselves to be gay or lesban? Or have close freinds or family members who are? It seems that plenty of folks here like to preach about what gay or lesbian people should do, what we feel, ow we were brought up etc etc... i wonder if anyone here9besides myself) has any actual RT experience with the subject, aside from reading about it or hearing sermons on the topic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:19:56 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »

I have had fairly close friends who were gay.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »

How many folks on this board are actually, or have considered themselves to be gay or lesban? Or have close freinds or family members who are? It seems that plenty of folks here like to preach about what gay or lesbian people should do, what we feel, ow we were brought up etc etc... i wonder if anyone here9besides myself) has any actual RT experience with the subject, aside from reading about it or hearing sermons on the topic.

I am not gay, nor do I have any friends and family that are gay/lesbian.   I really don't run into people that I think are gay much.  I don't know any gay people either.  I see them on the internet a lot, read about it a lot, but I don't run into it much in person at all.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »

I'm straight and know several gay people. Some are counted as friends.  One of my great-uncles was gay and I knew both him and his partner.  However since I probably do not support attempts to  make gay people a protected class by force of the law, I suppose that's irrelevant.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »

You might be surprised.

Have two aunts, twins, who are lez.

Always gotten along rather well with the gayz, if they were not too butch or effeminate. Have spent more time than I can count in straight friendly gays bars in the States when I drank just to get away from the stupid macho BS that runs rampant here. And I got free booze.

In short, know lotsa gays. Always glad when they start moving in. Great neighbors.  

NBD here.

Doesn't stop me from making fun though. It's what my people do.

It's all in love though.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »

I have never considered myself gay, and generally choose not to pontificate about it as it.

I have many gay acquaintances, including a few years ago our family baby sitter.

The city in which I work is supposedly a gay destination, though I am not sure if that is anything more than local legend because of a few prominent gay couples.

I had a friend a few years ago who came out and assumed I would no longer want to associate with her because I am a Christian. That was the moment at which I realized the approach taken by many Christians is probably not the right one.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

I live in the Bay Area where there is a very high population of homosexuals. In some areas, I would say that twenty-five percent of the population is homosexual. So I do see them very often, sometimes on a daily basis. I've never really had any problem with lesbians at all; in fact, I tend to get along with them really well, they seem to be very nice and easy going women. I do have trouble with gay men sometimes, however, it does not really have to do with their sexuality but more with the fact that the ones I am around can be very egoistic and stuck-up like many wealthy people.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »

I've had plenty of bisexual/homosexual friends, some were really close and others just friends. Even had a summer a couple years back in which I spent a good amount of time less-than-sober at a "party house" where quite a few homosexuals frequented the parties. One of them ended up becoming a really good friend, and he even tried to get me to date him for a while. I've also had a homosexual and two bisexuals for roommates.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »

I've never really had any problem with lesbians at all

im sure plenty of men out there feel the same way
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:10:31 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »

I am originally from a bit north of James, which is more hippie/look at all these neat trees than Castro district, but there's still a fair bit of that, particularly in a few specific locations (a little town called Guerneville was/is our county's "gay mecca" and is actually a vacation destination for people from the SF bay area...when they want to get away from it all and return to a simpler, more Norman Rockwell-esque place to hold drag queen competitions and such). As such, I have some gay friends and possibly family (I'm not really in touch with my family very much right now, but there are some questions about some of my extended family). One of my best friends going back to preschool (hey, in a small town it's hard to lose track of people) has been a very open lesbian at least since high school, and two more have had M-F sex-reassignment surgery in the last few years (I know that's not the same as being gay, but one of them was the aforementioned open lesbian's very butch girlfriend for a few years; seems like an odd thing to me, but what do I know).

Can't say that I'm ever too bent out of shape about their gayness, just as I've never heard a peep out of them about my Christianity (that's more a problem with the ultra-liberal feministas I know; the crossover between the two groups is not as high as you could be forgiven for expecting). They're just people like everybody else. I don't approve of homosexuality as an activity or a lifestyle or whatever, but I also don't approve of everything other friends or family do just because they're straight. Heck, my hippie cousin named one of his little girls Lite Brite or something like that (I blocked it out of my head; it is too awful)...that may not be explicitly condemned in the Bible, but dang it, there ought to be a law...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:11:32 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »

Always lived in big cities; always been around gay folk.

A school I went to was so gay (not the beginning of a joke, but it might as well be) that a kid and member of the gay student club (whatever acronym they used, I can't recall) called an assembly and made the tearful confession, after much soul searching, that he was, in fact, [bnot[/b] homosexual.  Poor fella.  Similarly, I was almost suspended for not wearing denim on "Wear Denim on National Gay Day!"  Whoops.

One of my closest friends is gay.  He has some pretty interesting views, and while not being anti-gay (he's in a committed monogamous relationship), he's quite appalled at elements of the gay community. He's somehow "known" the Orthodox Church was the Church since he was a kid... now to reel him in.  Muahahaha.

Funnily, I received an email an hour or so ago from someone touting some "Love Free or Die" documentary about the "heroic" first openly gay bishop in the Episcopalian Church.  /Delete

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:45 PM »

He has some pretty interesting views, and while not being anti-gay (he's in a committed monogamous relationship), he's quite appalled at elements of the gay community.

My parents have a fairly close homosexual friend in a committed monogamous relationship that also is a bit unique like that. For example he's on the nurture side of the nature/nurture debate.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »

RT?

I consider myself a lesbian trapped in a man's body.  But gay, no.

I have had several close gay/lesbian friends and colleagues, some out of the closet, some not.

I seem to see a lot of folks here like to preach about what heterosexual people should do, what we feel, how we were brought up etc. etc...

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:43:15 AM »

I consider myself a lesbian trapped in a man's body.
Hmm not sure about this.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 01:58:35 AM »

You're not sure that Isa is a lesbian? From what I remember from the picture thread, he's pretty butch-looking...

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:46 AM »

Or have close freinds or family members who are?

Yep. I have gay genes from both family lines. Shocked
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 02:53:23 AM »

You're not sure that Isa is a lesbian? From what I remember from the picture thread, he's pretty butch-looking...
funny you should say that: my nickname groving up was "Butch."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 03:21:44 AM »

Me too! And I'm a real lesbian trapped in a man's body. In other words, I like women that actually look like women. In fact, I think I'm gonna start a protest movement against all these fake lesbians that date gals that look like boys. They give lesbianism a bad name!

BTW, thank you Ialmisry for giving me the courage to come out! Let the LTMB Movement begin! Lesbians Trapped in Men's Bodies must unite!

Selam
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:25:07 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 03:23:08 AM »

funny you should say that: my nickname groving up was "Butch."

Like looking into a mirror, no?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »

Me too! And I'm a real lesbian trapped in a man's body. In other words, I like women that actually look like women. In fact, I think I'm gonna start a protest movement against all these fake lesbians that date gals that look like boys. They give lesbianism a bad name!

BTW, thank you Ialmisry for giving me the courage to come out! Let the LTMB Movement begin! Lesbians Trapped in Men's Bodies must unite!

Selam

Well, you won't really need a new movement.  You qualify as transgender if you're a woman trapped in a man's body.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 03:48:09 AM »

My wife was gay. Sort of.

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 03:59:08 AM »

Selam

Well, you won't really need a new movement.  You qualify as transgender if you're a woman trapped in a man's body.

No, I'm not a woman trapped in a man's body, only a lesbian trapped in a man's body. And who are you or anyone else to tell me what I am? I have the right to decide my own identity, and you are hateful and discriminatory to interject logic and reason into the discussion. This is why we need a LTMB movement to fight such discrimination! Wink

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 04:00:03 AM »

I live in the SF Bay Area, too.  Here, you have to live under a rock if you don't have friends or acquaintances that are gay/lesbian/transgender.  A great-uncle on my dad's side was gay.    My Executive Assistant and a cousin on my dad's side are lesbians.  Two other cousins on my mom's side are gay.  My next door neighbors are a gay couple.  And, I have a friend who is transgender, and lives in Tasmania.  And, the list goes on.  Caring, giving people, all of them.  

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 04:14:25 AM »

Isa is one of the most handsomest forum members. How dare you give him such a salacious label.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »

I'm pretty much thinking this is a non-starter. Most folks have met or know people that self-identify as gay. For myself, in addition to various friends, acquaintances, co-workers and a former pastor, one of the finest men I've ever known, who was a beloved mentor to me, is gay.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »

Define gay.  I watch RuPaul's Drag Races, have two gay friends on Facebook, one a transvestite, and I love flowered tea cups and tea sets.  However, I think that the female form is the pinnacle of God's creation, and prefer not to have someone else's penis in the same room as me unless it is under at least two sets of clothes and remains there.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »

I have a couple of family members that are homosexual. One of which is outspoken about it. Though logistics have us well separated and neither of us are great at picking up the phone, he is one of the closer people to me in life. I have had some friends, though not close ones, that were. I work with a couple of 'gay' men and woman and would consider them 'business' friends. My family members, friends, and a couple of the homosexuals I work with know my personal beliefs and opinions of their lifestyle, and also know how I feel about them personally. Two different issues you realize?

May I inquire as to why you would ask?

Peace & Grace

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »

To answer the above about the reason for the OP. Here is the OP:

Emphasis mine.

alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »

To answer the above about the reason for the OP. Here is the OP:

Emphasis mine.

Yea, I did catch that Orthonorm. I was intentionally vague in my question and that's not right.

Sorry Tallitot, I should have been more specific.  I’m asking even though you did state your reasoning because if you are making a serious inquiry I applaud you. It is a fact that many Christians (and otherwise) come off as judgmental toward homosexuality. I have not seen any threads on OC.net to which that has taken place but I'm fairly new and there are many many threads.

If  you are actually making a statement by asking a question,  assuming not many know or befriend homosexuals,  then that imho is questionable. The family member I mentioned in my prior reply is my brother. He is outspoken and I know he wouldn’t mind my divulging this. I love him with all my heart. We are able to speak about these issues without too much conflict because he realizes I see his actions and lifestyle separately that I see him the person. Hate the sin – love the sinner as the saying goes. (I say this believing we are all sinners and who more sinful than I?)

My point being; if you have been hurt or offended by some self righteous judgemental Christian than I am truly sorry, however, please know that when most (imo) speak out against homosexuality we are speaking out against the action not the person.

Not sure if that helps or even makes sense but it is why I asked ‘why you ask’.

Peace, Grace, & Respect

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
acts420
Elder

Faith: the Way
Jurisdiction: Jesus the Anointed One

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

How many folks on this board are actually, or have considered themselves to be gay or lesban?...

If by "gay" you simply mean sexually attracted to the same sex... then the answer to your question is "many more than will ever admit it publicly."  My best guess would be between 1% and 5%, just based on my personal experience with demographics.  

If by "gay" you mean "sexually active with the same sex," then the answer is even more certain to be "many more than will ever admit it publicly."

... Or have close freinds or family members who are?

I have two uncles that are gay, and I have one cousin that is gay and another that is bisexual.  I also live in San Francisco and have many gay friends.  I find them to be generally more kind toward their neighbors, better educated, and more classy than straight people.  That's just my experience.  There are certainly a lot of hateful, un-educated, and sloppy gay people in the world too.  This is just my observation from experience in life.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:44:37 PM by acts420 » Logged

In Christ,
Jason
www.acts420.com
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »

Looking from the outside in, it seems like the better of the two options if your goal is to be a happy, well rounded person.  Unfortunately, it does not seem to be a good option for finding salvation.

I used to be somewhat exceptionally homophobic.  Then I actually started meeting some gay people.  Having met some I can see why they are called "gay".
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be a good option for finding salvation.

We'll see about that.

I think a lot folks will be surprised about how God judges.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »

i live in boystown Wink
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 05:05:32 PM »

I currently have two good friends who are gay. I've had many gay friends throughout the years. My best friend's brother is gay, too. Great guy.
One of my cousin-in-laws is a lesbian.
I love them all unconditionally.

Oh, and I'm a HUGE fan of The Smiths, if that counts for anything!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:06:58 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »

We'll see about that.

I like it, orthonorm. I like it.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

What's the salvific option. geronda? Having sex in a monastery? There used to be a few videos on the internet filmed in orthodox monasteries ...
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »

We'll see about that.

I consider knowingly and purposefully committing a sin is damning, particularly if it was unrepented.  In my situation I am attracted to females, not particularly attracted to males, so going gay just because I tire of dealing with womyn would be a sin for the sake of sin.  How God judges people not in this situation, that between them and Him.  I have no commentary on that, though many of these men, I pray for their salvation.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »

What's the salvific option. geronda? Having sex in a monastery? There used to be a few videos on the internet filmed in orthodox monasteries ...

"I say this as a concession, not as a command.  I wish that all of you were as I am.  But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.  Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.  But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

That is the Salvific option.

And I assure you, I am NOT saying this flippantly.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »

We'll see about that.

I consider knowingly and purposefully committing a sin is damning, particularly if it was unrepented.  In my situation I am attracted to females, not particularly attracted to males, so going gay just because I tire of dealing with womyn would be a sin for the sake of sin.  How God judges people not in this situation, that between them and Him.  I have no commentary on that, though many of these men, I pray for their salvation.

This relies on what is written on their hearts. If they know it not to be a sin . . .

Knowledge sucks.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »

"I say this as a concession, not as a command.  I wish that all of you were as I am.  But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.  Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.  But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

If you KNOW it. And I ain't talking about reading it in a tract.

I am certainly damned to hell. But I really doubt the five homosexuals I know best are.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:25:40 PM by orthonorm » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »

I currently have two good friends who are gay. I've had many gay friends throughout the years. My best friend's brother is gay, too. Great guy.
One of my cousin-in-laws is a lesbian.
I love them all unconditionally.

Oh, and I'm a HUGE fan of The Smiths, if that counts for anything!

Okay, you're going to Heaven.   Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »

This relies on what is written on their hearts. If they know it not to be a sin . . .

Knowledge sucks.

There is no 'their' in the discussion.  I am only discussing my circumstances.  No one else's. 

Unless that is what your were getting at with "Knowledge sucks".

"I say this as a concession, not as a command.  I wish that all of you were as I am.  But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.  Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.  But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

If you KNOW it. And I ain't talking about reading it in a tract.

I am certainly damned to hell. But I really doubt the five homosexuals I know best are.

Indeed.  The Scriptures only seem to give two methods involving porking.  Get married and pork or don't pork.  I can't think of anywhere in the Scripture or Tradition, or whatnot where homosexuality is seen as a means for finding salvation.  I cannot think of which sacrament you would use to sanctify it.

Also, keep in mind that I am not judging the homosexual.  I am just stating, sodomy is not going to be a spiritual aide in the same way as receiving Communion, confessing of sins, or being baptized would be.  Apparently the Church considers that marriage between a man and a woman to be a useful aide or it wouldn't be a sacrament.

I have no doubt that some gay people will find salvation.  I believe God is merciful.  I would say there are many good ones out there but that is judging just as much as saying there are bad ones out there.  I have met some that I really liked.  Very few that I haven't.  But all the same, I cannot bring myself to recommend that lifestyle.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »

Where I come from, liking the Smiths/Morrissey means you're a Latina in her teens/early 20s...

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »

But all the same, I cannot bring myself to recommend that lifestyle.
Do people routinely approach you asking life-style recommendations?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »

But all the same, I cannot bring myself to recommend that lifestyle.
Do people routinely approach you asking life-style recommendations?

Cheesy

That's good.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: