OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vestment Colors again...  (Read 536 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: May 03, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »

From Sofia, Bulgaria this past weekend. Patriarch Kyril visited the Patriarch of Bulgaria and a joint Liturgy was held in the massive St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia, Bulgaria. I saw that the Bulgarians wore Greek style phelons and both clergy and hierarchs of the Bulgarians wore white, as we do during Paschaltide, while the Russians were wearing red except for Patriarch Kyril, who wore white. The Bulgarian Patriarch must be very old as he looked rather infirm.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VptEYtOrHo
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:23:37 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
davinpa

Faith: catholic (trying to be well rounded)
Jurisdiction: Viva Papa

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »

I saw in this forum some time ago about the Bulgarian Patriarch's 97th birthday.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:24:04 AM »

From Sofia, Bulgaria this past weekend. Patriarch Kyril visited the Patriarch of Bulgaria and a joint Liturgy was held in the massive St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia, Bulgaria. I saw that the Bulgarians wore Greek style phelons and both clergy and hierarchs of the Bulgarians wore white, as we do during Paschaltide, while the Russians were wearing red except for Patriarch Kyril, who wore white. The Bulgarian Patriarch must be very old as he looked rather infirm.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VptEYtOrHo

Most Bulgarian clergy and hierarchs wore white, but from what I see some were wearing red. As for the phelons Greek style phelons are generally more widespread in Bulgaria, although many priests would wear Russian style phelonion.

As a whole there are no liturgical colors in the sense they have in the Russian tradition - this color for this feast, that color for that feast, etc. The only exception is that black or dark purple should be worn  for services during weekdays of the Great Lent. During Paschaltide all kind of vestment colors may be seen in Bulgaria - white/golden and red are the most popular of course, but also blue and green. Even for Saturdays and Sunday of Lent all colors might be seen - white, golden, red, blue, green.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 04:44:58 AM »

I saw in this forum some time ago about the Bulgarian Patriarch's 97th birthday.

Patriarch Maxim was enthroned in 1971, (the year I graduated from high school).

Greeks would typically be using white during Paschal tide, but any color elaborately adorned, especially gold or red, would be used also.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:46:09 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:19:20 AM »

Likewise, I think color schemes in the Orthodox Church began from Western influence, but are commonly utilized today.

These are the colors for the periods noted in my GOAA parish.  (I am responsible to change the altar clothes and other cloths that adorn my church.)

From the day following the After Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos to November 14th, the day before the beginning of the Christmas Fast: Gold;

Nov. 15th through the After Feast of the Epiphany, Red;

From the After Feast of the Epiphany to the evening of Forgiveness & Meat Fare Sunday, Gold;

From Clean (Pure) Monday, the first day of the Great 40 Day Fast, through Holy and Great Saturday afternoon, Purple;

Pascha through the afternoon of the day before the Feast of the Pentecost, White;

Pentecost Sunday through July 30th, Green;

August 1st through the After Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos, Blue.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: