OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:10:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Television Shows the Complete Apostasy of Mankind  (Read 1743 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »

Television can't be all evil. It brings us hockey, and weather reports. Plus, my dog likes it.
even tho you're from downstate, comments like this make you amazing biro Smiley
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »

He who does not worship, pray, and meditate every day is not among the righteous. This should be obvious. It is known by Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Islam, who all observe at least 3 daily prayers. But Christianity fell away. Christians are mostly unspiritual. Therefore, there is no salvation for them.

That's right! Everybody, throw away your Agpeyas/Horologions! They're useless, because you're Christian, so there's no salvation for you.

Or...

You can proclaim the truth of God out on the streets, as the Orthodox do.

You can meditate on the word of God every day and grow in knowledge and love of God, as the Orthodox do.

You can dedicate yourself to monastic life, renouncing the world's treasures and living only for God, as the Orthodox do.

There is no good practice that is not preserved in Orthodox Christianity to a greater degree than in any other religion, and with the correct understanding that the others lack. What Zoroastrians or Jews or Muslims do or do not do bears no relation to us, for they do their actions out of their own false beliefs. So it is with their strict and very public adherence to prayers, or any other Pharisical thing you can point to in condemning Christianity in favor of everything else. God is with us, who may be against us? Not you, and not a million internet heretics, and not a billion Muslims, or any Jews, Zoroastrians. Nobody.

Come back when you have fasted over half of the year with repentance before God for your many sins (as we do), and prayed many good hours of the Horologion, and all these other things that you insist we do not do. Then you will have new eyes, and not criticize our practice for not being as "faithful" as the Jews or the Muslims or the whoevers. It is enough that we struggle to do what is commanded of us, as it was commanded before any of these groups, for as St. John has said, "He who comes after me is preferred before me; for He was before me."

Orthodox Christianity stands on its own merits, and not the rejection of the faith our fathers. It is every  rejectionist/restorationist anti-Christ movement (whether it be called Judaism, Islam, Esseneism, or whatever) that clings to this "everyone has fallen away" idea. No. Everyone has not fallen away. Christ Jesus has not fallen away. The Holy Spirit, the comforter, has not fallen away. And so the Church stands forever and ever, as it is (to borrow the phrase I've read here more than once) the faith that established the universe.

Reject it if you want, but you seem to only be doing so by calling it something it's not, and then rejecting that thing of your own making. I could not find any worthy results on Google images for "Essene strawman", but...well, that.

Obviously the FAITHFUL Orthodox are being saved. But i would like to know what percentage actually do the required daily worship, prayer, and meditation...

I pray at least twice a day before the icons.  Sometimes three.  I pray short prayers constantly throughout the day.  I have memorized the beginning part of the morning prayers so I can say them in my head before I even fully wake up and say them properly.  I burn incense, I light candles, I very rarely miss liturgy.  Follow my example and you will learn that praying frequently does not make someone righteous.  I pray because I am a sinner.  Not because I am righteous.  

Better yet, find someone who prays twice a day but believes it and trusts in God.  Then you will see what salvation looks like.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »

Television can't be all evil. It brings us hockey, and weather reports. Plus, my dog likes it.
even tho you're from downstate, comments like this make you amazing biro Smiley

Thank you. Smiley
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »

He who does not worship, pray, and meditate every day is not among the righteous. This should be obvious. It is known by Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Islam, who all observe at least 3 daily prayers. But Christianity fell away. Christians are mostly unspiritual. Therefore, there is no salvation for them.

That's right! Everybody, throw away your Agpeyas/Horologions! They're useless, because you're Christian, so there's no salvation for you.

Or...

You can proclaim the truth of God out on the streets, as the Orthodox do.

You can meditate on the word of God every day and grow in knowledge and love of God, as the Orthodox do.

You can dedicate yourself to monastic life, renouncing the world's treasures and living only for God, as the Orthodox do.

There is no good practice that is not preserved in Orthodox Christianity to a greater degree than in any other religion, and with the correct understanding that the others lack. What Zoroastrians or Jews or Muslims do or do not do bears no relation to us, for they do their actions out of their own false beliefs. So it is with their strict and very public adherence to prayers, or any other Pharisical thing you can point to in condemning Christianity in favor of everything else. God is with us, who may be against us? Not you, and not a million internet heretics, and not a billion Muslims, or any Jews, Zoroastrians. Nobody.

Come back when you have fasted over half of the year with repentance before God for your many sins (as we do), and prayed many good hours of the Horologion, and all these other things that you insist we do not do. Then you will have new eyes, and not criticize our practice for not being as "faithful" as the Jews or the Muslims or the whoevers. It is enough that we struggle to do what is commanded of us, as it was commanded before any of these groups, for as St. John has said, "He who comes after me is preferred before me; for He was before me."

Orthodox Christianity stands on its own merits, and not the rejection of the faith our fathers. It is every  rejectionist/restorationist anti-Christ movement (whether it be called Judaism, Islam, Esseneism, or whatever) that clings to this "everyone has fallen away" idea. No. Everyone has not fallen away. Christ Jesus has not fallen away. The Holy Spirit, the comforter, has not fallen away. And so the Church stands forever and ever, as it is (to borrow the phrase I've read here more than once) the faith that established the universe.

Reject it if you want, but you seem to only be doing so by calling it something it's not, and then rejecting that thing of your own making. I could not find any worthy results on Google images for "Essene strawman", but...well, that.

Obviously the FAITHFUL Orthodox are being saved. But i would like to know what percentage actually do the required daily worship, prayer, and meditation...

I pray at least twice a day before the icons.  Sometimes three.  I pray short prayers constantly throughout the day.  I have memorized the beginning part of the morning prayers so I can say them in my head before I even fully wake up and say them properly.  I burn incense, I light candles, I very rarely miss liturgy.  Follow my example and you will learn that praying frequently does not make someone righteous.  I pray because I am a sinner.  Not because I am righteous.  

Better yet, find someone who prays twice a day but believes it and trusts in God.  Then you will see what salvation looks like.

Praise be to God!!!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »

He who does not give charity, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the prisoners, see to the sick, and house the homeless is damned.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »

In other words, you'd like to have the power to place these on the left, and these on the right? Is that it? I'm sorry, but that's God's prerogative, not yours or mine or anyone else's.

Anyway, you presume too much in thinking that by seeing this person's prayer rule or that person's commitment to the fast or whatever, you can say "this person is saved" or "this person is not saved". If you are going to call yourself an ORIGINAL MONOTHEIST, why do you have this strangely Protestant notion of being able to classify people as saved or unsaved?

You know who is saved? The one who works out his salvation with fear and trembling, and does not slander his brothers and sisters, but looks first at his own faults and admits that he has done nothing good before God. Abba Isaiah, Abba Moses, and the other monks of the desert taught me that. Humility, they taught (and lived by example), is the greatest of all virtues. It is hard to be humbled when you say these are saved, these are not saved based on what you can observe them doing, as though we are Pharisees and we merely follow the external law and preform the actions and this is it. Christianity, love it or hate it, is balanced in its external and internal life in ways that the religions and obscure Jewish sects you are fetishizing are not. Since you cannot know the soul of another, why play judge, jury, and executioner? Isn't that a great folly?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:16:53 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »

the replies in this thread are awesome! you'all are so wonderful!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »

The OP is right!!!!  Grin

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

He who does not give charity, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the prisoners, see to the sick, and house the homeless is damned.

I hook people up with free cable.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »

One of the few shows over the last decade or whatever, I tuned into regularly.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »

That's on all the time at this pizza parlor I go to.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »

And what do you have to defend yourself, orthonorm, for such an indefensible show?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 08:20:28 PM »

And what do you have to defend yourself, orthonorm, for such an indefensible show?
probally because it is soooo easy to mock, just as orthonorm loves to do

that, or he is just besing his normal self, and you fail to see past the sarcasm
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

Everyone who knows me knows I have the TV taste of your average 12-14 old white middle class girl.

I am so OK with my anima that I don't have to watch anime to subjugate my softer side through gross depictions of helpless women always in need of saving.

While no Buffy by a long shot, still I will always love Hanna. Miley, not so much.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »

Everyone who knows me knows I have the TV taste of your average 12-14 old white middle class girl.

I am so OK with my anima that I don't have to watch anime to subjugate my softer side through gross depictions of helpless women always in need of saving.

While no Buffy by a long shot, still I will always love Hanna. Miley, not so much.

I'm going to need this.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »

Pat Robertson and the 700 club

lol

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:14 AM »

I hook people up with free cable.

And such is why you will occupy the seat at the right hand of Christ, at the wedding banquet.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:14 AM »

Arthur is one of my favorite shows.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »

Hopefully, I didn't just destroy it for you, then.

I'm going to need this.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »

Hopefully, I didn't just destroy it for you, then.

No, that's (the image) actually rather funny.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »

Folks, I am locking this thread until further notice as there are couple of issues that I plan to discuss with the moderator team. Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: