OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:21:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Television Shows the Complete Apostasy of Mankind  (Read 1503 times) Average Rating: 0
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« on: May 02, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »

I do not believe in watching television. But i turned it on for five minutes to view the state of the world, and out of 200 channels they were all about drugs, getting locked up, other horrific stories, sinful pop music sluts, goofy cartoons, and about the future world of machines. The only neutral aspects that I saw was that there is a Catholic channel with beardless priests prancing around pretending to be holy. Also, Pat Robertson and the 700 club. That is about as good as it gets. This is a world of COMPLETE AND UTTER 100% APOSTASY UNDER SATANIC RULERSHIP.

Please escape by becoming obedient to God!

On May 2, 2010 you had been warned for inappropriate posting by a non-Orthodox in the Faith Issuers Section. After talking to the other moderators, I believe that you are in violation of the following Forum Policy:

"Forum Purpose & Place of the Non-Orthodox

To be clear, this site exists as an Orthodox Forum where people who identify themselves as Orthodox are given a place to discuss things pertinent to the Orthodox Faith.  In practicality, this means that there is a broad approach to allowing people from the Eastern Orthodox "Majority", the Eastern Orthodox "Traditionalists", and the Oriental Orthodox "Non-Chalcedonians" to post on topics relating to Orthodoxy.  It should be emphasized that it is the policy of this site that no one is required to affirm that any of the other groups are canonical or Orthodox, but rather the purpose of the broad approach is to allow broad discussion on topics that in academic discourse are labeled "Orthodox studies."

People who do not fit this broad, academic definition of Orthodox, such as Roman Catholics, Protestants, non-Christians, and others, are permitted to post here and to offer positive contributions to the site and corrections when their faith traditions are misrepresented. They are not, however, permitted to attempt to bring people to other faiths."

By your admission you are not Orthodox. You are not making a positive positive contribution to the site nor are you making corrections when you faith tradition is misrepresented. Finally, you are attempting to bring people to his own unique faith. Consequently, I am putting you on post moderation for 30 days. If your posts do not start conforming to Forum Policy, I will escalate moderation to 99 days and may recommend further disciplinary actions. If you disagree with my decision, please feel free to appeal to Father George. Second Chance
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:42:00 PM by Second Chance » Logged
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »

Why are you mad at us? I didn't make those shows.

I'm going to need this.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »

I do not believe in watching television. But i turned it on for five minutes to view the state of the world, and out of 200 channels they were all about drugs, getting locked up, other horrific stories, sinful pop music sluts, goofy cartoons, and about the future world of machines. The only neutral aspects that I saw was that there is a Catholic channel with beardless priests prancing around pretending to be holy. Also, Pat Robertson and the 700 club. That is about as good as it gets. This is a world of COMPLETE AND UTTER 100% APOSTASY UNDER SATANIC RULERSHIP.

Must remove eyeballs... Stupidest post of 2012 - early winner...

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »

Or just escape by turning off the television. Works great for non-believers too.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:17:22 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »

Amartin, if you hate TV, why do you have one, and why do you pay for 200 channels? Do you live with relatives?

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »

God help me for committing this thought to permanence, but reading all these posts by amartin has me wondering if there is a way that the moderators can set a minimum number of posts that a poster must reach before being able to create their own topcs. You know, like giving them "observer status" at the U.N. that is this message board. Just a thought, because, wow...these topics are really something else... Undecided

I don't understand you, amartin. You said in another thread you started that you left the communal life because no one there prayed or took care of their spiritual lives in any way. So you've come here to post topics and replies on television, meat, and your belief that the entire world (save your incredibly insignificant, heretical neo-gnostic sect) has gone into apostasy and is headed for hellfire. How is that caring for your spiritual life?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »

I have to admit. This is lulz, especially the bolded part.

Nice.

Thanks. Looks like Second Chance was right. You just needed like a 15th chance.

EDIT: Srsly. Good work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:21:15 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 11:20:51 PM »

God help me for committing this thought to permanence, but reading all these posts by amartin has me wondering if there is a way that the moderators can set a minimum number of posts that a poster must reach before being able to create their own topcs. You know, like giving them "observer status" at the U.N. that is this message board. Just a thought, because, wow...these topics are really something else... Undecided

I don't understand you, amartin. You said in another thread you started that you left the communal life because no one there prayed or took care of their spiritual lives in any way. So you've come here to post topics and replies on television, meat, and your belief that the entire world (save your incredibly insignificant, heretical neo-gnostic sect) has gone into apostasy and is headed for hellfire. How is that caring for your spiritual life?

By stroking his ego into a false sense of security in a weak belief system based entirely on condemning others?

Maybe he'll make an appearance in the masturbation thread next.

(of course, who knows? maybe we are all damned. I know it's cliche, but at least in hell we won't have to deal with heretical neo-gnostics and their flip-flopping opinions on television.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:22:05 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
amartin

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »

your belief that the entire world (save your incredibly insignificant, heretical neo-gnostic sect) has gone into apostasy and is headed for hellfire. How is that caring for your spiritual life?

I do not believe that. I have said many times that I believe in universal spirituality - that anyone from any religion can be saved if they follow the true spiritual path that is inherent in most world religions. Quit the cult nonsense!
amartin

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »

Amartin, if you hate TV, why do you have one, and why do you pay for 200 channels? Do you live with relatives?

I live with relatives.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »

I live with relatives.

LOL!

Never has a poster more quickly changed my regard for them in a positive direction than you have today.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:51:13 PM »

your belief that the entire world (save your incredibly insignificant, heretical neo-gnostic sect) has gone into apostasy and is headed for hellfire. How is that caring for your spiritual life?

I do not believe that. I have said many times that I believe in universal spirituality - that anyone from any religion can be saved if they follow the true spiritual path that is inherent in most world religions. Quit the cult nonsense!

Amartin, may I present you to...Amartin:

What a bunch of stupid, arrogant, and useless hippie crap. So the entire world went into apostasy except for your reconstituted (read: made up) sect, which lives on via internet websites based in Oregon? What are the odds! Roll Eyes

The entire world IS in apostasy because they are not spiritual. Very few people are spiritual these days. This should be obvious. If you do not see that the world is in apostasy then you are spiritually blind. But people can be saved from any religion if they have a relationship with God, are faithful in their daily prayers, and do good deeds. Unfortunately, most religionists do nothing for their spirituality.

I have bolded and increased the size of the relevant part of the quote. Um...oops?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »

OH GOD!  HE'S COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY RIGHT!!! 

Have you people even seen those pawn shop shows?  Those are utter BLASPHEMY!  Basically it's a whole bunch of people who parade around like a bunch of j00ish gypsies, buying crap out of vacant sheds and then trying to SELL these items to other gypsies.  Damned Gypsies everywhere!

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »

There are pawn shop reality shows?

I know you can't be kidding.

When will I feel death's sting?

Depressing.

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 12:30:20 AM »

Depressing.

I started to type a reply explaining to you how awesome Pawn Stars is, but I realize that no matter how I spin it, it's a reality show about a pawn shop.

I need to reevaluate my life.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »

Depressing.

I can tell you don't watch the History Channel, the show is called "Pawn Stars"...  Cheesy

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:35 AM »

Depressing.

I started to type a reply explaining to you how awesome Pawn Stars is, but I realize that no matter how I spin it, it's a reality show about a pawn shop.

My father flew to Las Vegas a few years ago to try to sell them some of his old Journey memorabilia. Apparently he forgot to ask them before traveling there whether or not they bought rock'n'roll memorabilia. They don't. So when I talked to him on the phone and asked him how it went and if it was worth traveling all that way (from Northern California), he said "well, I didn't make any money, but I got to meet Chumlee and the Old Man, so of course it was worth it! The Old Man is really a jerk, though."

I think you have a long way to go before you have to reevaluate your life, ZZ.

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »

Depressing.

My father flew to Las Vegas a few years ago to try to sell them some of his old Journey memorabilia. Apparently he forgot to ask them before traveling there whether or not they bought rock'n'roll memorabilia. They don't. So when I talked to him on the phone and asked him how it went and if it was worth traveling all that way (from Northern California), he said "well, I didn't make any money, but I got to meet Chumlee and the Old Man, so of course it was worth it! The Old Man is really a jerk, though."

I'm surprised that they don't take rock'n'roll memorabilia... Did they say why?

I am not, however, surprised to hear that the Old Man is a jerk. Cheesy

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:05 AM »

There's so much of it, the market is flooded and all of it sits there forever unless it's Beatles or Hendrix. The warehouse full of Journey junk that he took those particular pieces from would seem to confirm this observation.

Eh. The pawn shop made money off of him, at least. He bought a mug and had Chumlee sign it. Weird.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »

There's so much of it, the market is flooded and all of it sits there forever unless it's Beatles or Hendrix. The warehouse full of Journey junk that he took those particular pieces from would seem to confirm this observation.

Eh. The pawn shop made money off of him, at least. He bought a mug and had Chumlee sign it. Weird.

I rest my case.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »

You watched 200 channels in five minutes?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »

OH GOD!  HE'S COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY RIGHT!!! 

Have you people even seen those pawn shop shows?  Those are utter BLASPHEMY!  Basically it's a whole bunch of people who parade around like a bunch of j00ish gypsies, buying crap out of vacant sheds and then trying to SELL these items to other gypsies.  Damned Gypsies everywhere!

No, no, no.  You are mixing up Pawn Stars and American Pickers.  Duh!

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:36 AM »

I'm pretty sure life would be meaningless without Burn Notice.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 01:34:57 AM »

I watch Jeoprady every night. There are great documentaries on PBS. Some of the old Twilight Zones are great writing and give you something to think about.

Proverbs 22:7
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »

Probably going to get anathematized for this by the really orthodox Orthodox, but I think that the best show on television is Supernatural. Yeah, it has mindless violence, fornication, satanic occultic mythologies and pagan lore, swearing etc. But all in all, it is a pretty good show with clever writing, character development and plot.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »

...says the guy spending time on the internet.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »

...says the guy spending time on the internet.

WIN!!!  laugh
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »

Depressing.

I'm surprised that they don't take rock'n'roll memorabilia... Did they say why?

I am not, however, surprised to hear that the Old Man is a jerk. Cheesy

They've taken it before. 

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »

Probably going to get anathematized for this by the really orthodox Orthodox, but I think that the best show on television is Supernatural. Yeah, it has mindless violence, fornication, satanic occultic mythologies and pagan lore, swearing etc. But all in all, it is a pretty good show with clever writing, character development and plot.

The best show is Breaking Bad; second best is The Borgias.  I would say The United States of Tara is third best, but unfortunately it's no longer on.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 09:52:18 AM »

TV is not all evil.  Just like anything, it's what you use it for.  The Internet has much evil in it, as well....we just moderate ourselves and stay away from the sites we know we shouldn't be visiting.

Why is the television any different?

I don't have cable.  In fact I still have my old 13" "tube" TV, attached to a digital converter. 

On those odd days that I actually have the time to turn it on, I can always find something good to watch.  What about all the Nature show, or the cooking shows, or the travel shows.....  No evil in them....just information.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »

TV is not all evil.  Just like anything, it's what you use it for.  The Internet has much evil in it, as well....we just moderate ourselves and stay away from the sites we know we shouldn't be visiting.

Why is the television any different?

I don't have cable.  In fact I still have my old 13" "tube" TV, attached to a digital converter. 

On those odd days that I actually have the time to turn it on, I can always find something good to watch.  What about all the Nature show, or the cooking shows, or the travel shows.....  No evil in them....just information.

The problem is, evil is in a fluid state, just like water, mercury, or tears.  It seeps through cracks and taints everything around it.  The evil of reality television taints all of it.  Even the wholesome shows you watch are tainted by this evil.  I was watching a show once about the reproductive habits of lions in captivity and I notices the subliminal messaging.  Here was this one lion, having just been shot down by some cute lioness (reminding me of my own love life) and all of a sudden an image flashes on the screen.  Using the scientific advances of DVR I rewound the show to the point that I saw the apparition and slowed it down to .25 slow motion.  And there it was.  A single frame, more bestial than even the beasts I was witnessing.  Snookie.  Yes, Snookie.  A creature that is, by its very nature, the product of the spirits of reality television itself fornicating upon an Indian burial ground.  It was then that I knew that all television had been tainted by evil.  And by Snookie.

Have I mentioned recently just how awesome you really are?

amartin

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »

What a bunch of stupid, arrogant, and useless hippie crap. So the entire world went into apostasy except for your reconstituted (read: made up) sect, which lives on via internet websites based in Oregon? What are the odds! Roll Eyes

The entire world IS in apostasy because they are not spiritual. Very few people are spiritual these days. This should be obvious. If you do not see that the world is in apostasy then you are spiritually blind. But people can be saved from any religion if they have a relationship with God, are faithful in their daily prayers, and do good deeds. Unfortunately, most religionists do nothing for their spirituality.

I have bolded and increased the size of the relevant part of the quote. Um...oops?

Yes. People may be saved from any tradition by following the universal spiritual path. Unfortunately, most people do not follow the spiritual path, which requires much prayer and meditation throughout the day every single day. Protestants are not on the path. Most Catholics are not either. Very few Orthodox Christians are these days. Yet, any of the above can be saved if they become spiritual and worship God from their heart. The same goes for Jews or whatever else. In fact, I would say that observant Jews have a better chance of being saved than most Christians do because at least Jews pray the 3 daily Amidah prayers. That is something to think about...
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

Yes. People may be saved from any tradition by following the universal spiritual path. Unfortunately, most people do not follow the spiritual path, which requires much prayer and meditation throughout the day every single day. Protestants are not on the path. Most Catholics are not either. Very few Orthodox Christians are these days. Yet, any of the above can be saved if they become spiritual and worship God from their heart. The same goes for Jews or whatever else. In fact, I would say that observant Jews have a better chance of being saved than most Christians do because at least Jews pray the 3 daily Amidah prayers. That is something to think about...

How can you know whether a person is righteous or lost? It is true that it is important to pray much, but we shouldn't judge people after our own standards. People may carry spiritual gifts which we are unable to see. Remember, it is God who reads the hearts of men.

This is told about the blessed Elder Paisios:
Once on Mount Athos there was a monk who lived in Karyes. He drank and got drunk every day and was the cause of scandal to the pilgrims. Eventually he died and this relieved some of the faithful who went on to tell Elder Paisios that they were delighted that this huge problem was finally solved.

Father Paisios answered them that he knew about the death of the monk, after seeing the entire battalion of angels who came to collect his soul. The pilgrims were amazed and some protested and tried to explain to the Elder of whom they were talking about, thinking that the Elder did not understand.

Elder Paisios explained to them: "This particular monk was born in Asia Minor, shortly before the destruction by the Turks when they gathered all the boys. So as not to take him from their parents, they would take him with them to the reaping, and so he wouldn't cry, they just put raki* into his milk in order for him to sleep. Therefore he grew up as an alcoholic. There he found an elder and said to him that he was an alcoholic. The elder told him to do prostrations and prayers every night and beg the Panagia to help him to reduce by one the glasses he drank.

After a year he managed with struggle and repentance to make the 20 glasses he drank into 19 glasses. The struggle continued over the years and he reached 2-3 glasses, with which he would still get drunk."

The world for years saw an alcoholic monk who scandalized the pilgrims, but God saw a fighter who fought a long struggle to reduce his passion.

Without knowing what each one is trying to do what he wants to do, what right do we have to judge his effort?

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/03/elder-paisios-and-alcoholic-monk.html

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
amartin

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »

He who does not worship, pray, and meditate every day is not among the righteous. This should be obvious. It is known by Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Islam, who all observe at least 3 daily prayers. But Christianity fell away. Christians are mostly unspiritual. Therefore, there is no salvation for them.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »

He who does not worship, pray, and meditate every day is not among the righteous. This should be obvious. It is known by Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Islam, who all observe at least 3 daily prayers. But Christianity fell away.

We have 7. Thank you very much.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

Once on Mount Athos there was a monk who lived in Karyes. He drank and got drunk every day and was the cause of scandal to the pilgrims. Eventually he died and this relieved some of the faithful who went on to tell Elder Paisios that they were delighted that this huge problem was finally solved.

Father Paisios answered them that he knew about the death of the monk, after seeing the entire battalion of angels who came to collect his soul. The pilgrims were amazed and some protested and tried to explain to the Elder of whom they were talking about, thinking that the Elder did not understand.

Elder Paisios explained to them: "This particular monk was born in Asia Minor, shortly before the destruction by the Turks when they gathered all the boys. So as not to take him from their parents, they would take him with them to the reaping, and so he wouldn't cry, they just put raki* into his milk in order for him to sleep. Therefore he grew up as an alcoholic. There he found an elder and said to him that he was an alcoholic. The elder told him to do prostrations and prayers every night and beg the Panagia to help him to reduce by one the glasses he drank.

After a year he managed with struggle and repentance to make the 20 glasses he drank into 19 glasses. The struggle continued over the years and he reached 2-3 glasses, with which he would still get drunk."

The world for years saw an alcoholic monk who scandalized the pilgrims, but God saw a fighter who fought a long struggle to reduce his passion.

Without knowing what each one is trying to do what he wants to do, what right do we have to judge his effort?

The first words that came to mind were: "Wisdom! Let us attend!"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:53:11 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »

He who does not worship, pray, and meditate every day is not among the righteous. This should be obvious. It is known by Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Islam, who all observe at least 3 daily prayers. But Christianity fell away. Christians are mostly unspiritual. Therefore, there is no salvation for them.

On the contrary, we are told to pray unceasingly. A man may very well go to the mosque 5 times each day but if his heart is not with him, it is worthless. In the same way, a man can pray only one time in a day for a few moments only and still be saved because the words he spoke came from the depth of his heart.

We are saved, not just by works, but also by grace.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »

So you're into all of them? Do the Zoroastrians really make you jump over a fire?

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »

Television Shows the Complete Apostasy of Mankind

Proof that this claim is nonsense.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:16:09 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »

amartin, there is a secret group of us who have distilled the entirety of the Divine Liturgy into a prayer comprised of a single sentence.

One day, I might let you know what it is.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

Television Shows the Complete Apostasy of Mankind

Proof that this claim is nonsense.

MACGYVER AWAY

-St Silouan the athonite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »

Television can't be all evil. It brings us hockey, and weather reports. Plus, my dog likes it.

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »

This guy reminds me of what people on TV said was history's first national anthem: 

"Let 'em all go to hell, except Cave 76!"

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »

That's right! Everybody, throw away your Agpeyas/Horologions! They're useless, because you're Christian, so there's no salvation for you.

Or...

You can proclaim the truth of God out on the streets, as the Orthodox do.

You can meditate on the word of God every day and grow in knowledge and love of God, as the Orthodox do.

You can dedicate yourself to monastic life, renouncing the world's treasures and living only for God, as the Orthodox do.

There is no good practice that is not preserved in Orthodox Christianity to a greater degree than in any other religion, and with the correct understanding that the others lack. What Zoroastrians or Jews or Muslims do or do not do bears no relation to us, for they do their actions out of their own false beliefs. So it is with their strict and very public adherence to prayers, or any other Pharisical thing you can point to in condemning Christianity in favor of everything else. God is with us, who may be against us? Not you, and not a million internet heretics, and not a billion Muslims, or any Jews, Zoroastrians. Nobody.

Come back when you have fasted over half of the year with repentance before God for your many sins (as we do), and prayed many good hours of the Horologion, and all these other things that you insist we do not do. Then you will have new eyes, and not criticize our practice for not being as "faithful" as the Jews or the Muslims or the whoevers. It is enough that we struggle to do what is commanded of us, as it was commanded before any of these groups, for as St. John has said, "He who comes after me is preferred before me; for He was before me."

Orthodox Christianity stands on its own merits, and not the rejection of the faith our fathers. It is every  rejectionist/restorationist anti-Christ movement (whether it be called Judaism, Islam, Esseneism, or whatever) that clings to this "everyone has fallen away" idea. No. Everyone has not fallen away. Christ Jesus has not fallen away. The Holy Spirit, the comforter, has not fallen away. And so the Church stands forever and ever, as it is (to borrow the phrase I've read here more than once) the faith that established the universe.

Reject it if you want, but you seem to only be doing so by calling it something it's not, and then rejecting that thing of your own making. I could not find any worthy results on Google images for "Essene strawman", but...well, that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:52:49 PM by dzheremi » Logged

amartin

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »

That's right! Everybody, throw away your Agpeyas/Horologions! They're useless, because you're Christian, so there's no salvation for you.

Or...

You can proclaim the truth of God out on the streets, as the Orthodox do.

You can meditate on the word of God every day and grow in knowledge and love of God, as the Orthodox do.

You can dedicate yourself to monastic life, renouncing the world's treasures and living only for God, as the Orthodox do.

There is no good practice that is not preserved in Orthodox Christianity to a greater degree than in any other religion, and with the correct understanding that the others lack. What Zoroastrians or Jews or Muslims do or do not do bears no relation to us, for they do their actions out of their own false beliefs. So it is with their strict and very public adherence to prayers, or any other Pharisical thing you can point to in condemning Christianity in favor of everything else. God is with us, who may be against us? Not you, and not a million internet heretics, and not a billion Muslims, or any Jews, Zoroastrians. Nobody.

Come back when you have fasted over half of the year with repentance before God for your many sins (as we do), and prayed many good hours of the Horologion, and all these other things that you insist we do not do. Then you will have new eyes, and not criticize our practice for not being as "faithful" as the Jews or the Muslims or the whoevers. It is enough that we struggle to do what is commanded of us, as it was commanded before any of these groups, for as St. John has said, "He who comes after me is preferred before me; for He was before me."

Orthodox Christianity stands on its own merits, and not the rejection of the faith our fathers. It is every  rejectionist/restorationist anti-Christ movement (whether it be called Judaism, Islam, Esseneism, or whatever) that clings to this "everyone has fallen away" idea. No. Everyone has not fallen away. Christ Jesus has not fallen away. The Holy Spirit, the comforter, has not fallen away. And so the Church stands forever and ever, as it is (to borrow the phrase I've read here more than once) the faith that established the universe.

Reject it if you want, but you seem to only be doing so by calling it something it's not, and then rejecting that thing of your own making. I could not find any worthy results on Google images for "Essene strawman", but...well, that.

Obviously the FAITHFUL Orthodox are being saved. But i would like to know what percentage actually do the required daily worship, prayer, and meditation...
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: