OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:56:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Fundamentalists: A Critical View  (Read 2207 times) Average Rating: 0
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« on: October 24, 2004, 06:18:53 PM »

Hey Everybody,

I recently finished reading a book called "Orthodox Fundamentalists: A Critical View", written by John W. Morris and I was wondering if anyone else has read it and if so, what are your thoughts on this book?

This book deals with the various charges that are/have been brought against "world Orthodoxy", by various traditionalist/fundamentalist Orthodox groups/synods, specifically in regards to things like ecumenism, baptism, the calendar, etc.

I did find there to be one obvious and blatent error in the book, in regards to the late Fr. Seraphim Rose of blessed memory, by saying that he was in the ROCiE, when he was actually with ROCOR. I honestly do not know enough about the other issues such as the calendar, baptism, etc., to make my own judgement so I was hoping that by chance one of you may have read it.

If so, please share your opinions about this book because I would be eager to see what the more knowledgeable folks on this forum have to say about it.

In Christ,
Aaron
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 08:00:37 PM »

I have read the work you have referenced, and hope some day that someone (maybe even me) will write a polished, non-polemical response to it. For even those who are not impressed with the traditionalist point of view can find some serious errors and hubris in that book.

Given my shortcomings of time and ability, allow me to refer you to a review of the book:

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/review_morris.aspx

At the bottom are links that respond to specific points.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
pilgrim727

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 08:11:09 PM »

Aaron:

The Russian Orthodox Church in Exile is simply another name often used for the Russian Orthodox Church Outside [of] Russia;  another is Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  Also you may hear them referred to as the "Synodal [Russian] Church."

All these names are for one and the same body.

Porter

NULL
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 08:21:23 PM »

The Russian Orthodox Church in Exile is simply another name often used for the Russian Orthodox Church Outside [of] Russia;  another is Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  Also you may hear them referred to as the "Synodal [Russian] Church."

All these names are for one and the same body.

Porter,

If this is the case, then why does this link ( http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com/engindex.html ) list parishes that are not on the ROCOR page?

I always thought that ROCiE referred to a schismatic group, under Metropolitan Vitaly?

In Christ,
Aaron
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 08:21:48 PM »

ROCiE is a schismatic body (according to ROCOR/ROCA anyway), and definately quite apart from ROCOR/ROCA, though ROCiE does try to call itself ROCA, causing a great deal of confusion for some (in fact, a ROCiE monastery recently joined a Greek Old Calendarist group, and that group put on their website that the monastery had been in "ROCA"... meaning ROCiE, not the ROCA centered in NYC/Jordanville; at first it was not apparent which "ROCA" they were speaking of, and it took some investigation to figure it out).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 08:24:47 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 08:22:47 PM »

I have read the work you have referenced, and hope some day that someone (maybe even me) will write a polished, non-polemical response to it. For even those who are not impressed with the traditionalist point of view can find some serious errors and hubris in that book.

Given my shortcomings of time and ability, allow me to refer you to a review of the book:

www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism...iew_morris.aspx

At the bottom are links that respond to specific points.

Anastasios,

Thank you for the link, I will give it a look over.  Smiley

In Christ,
Aaron
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 08:26:23 PM »

ROCOR used to be known by all three names at various times, but the "in Exile" part dropped out of use; hence when the Vitaly group needed an ID they picked up the name and ran with it.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 08:47:18 PM »

ROCiE is a schismatic body (according to ROCOR/ROCA anyway), and definately quite apart from ROCOR/ROCA, though ROCiE does try to call itself ROCA, causing a great deal of confusion for some (in fact, a ROCiE monastery recently joined a Greek Old Calendarist group, and that group put on their website that the monastery had been in "ROCA"... meaning ROCiE, not the ROCA centered in NYC/Jordanville; at first it was not apparent which "ROCA" they were speaking of, and it took some investigation to figure it out).

ROCOR used to be known by all three names at various times, but the "in Exile" part dropped out of use; hence when the Vitaly group needed an ID they picked up the name and ran with it.

Justin and Anastasios,

Thanks for the clarification guys, much appreciated!  Cheesy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: