OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:20:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pascha in Muchachevo  (Read 258 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: May 02, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »

Thought I would post the first segment of the Paschal Divine Liturgy from Muchachevo, Ukraine from the Greek Catholic Eparchial website there. The broadcast must have been on television as there is a narrative voice-over on some of it, but what is amazing to me is how, in spite of over one hundred years of separation, two world wars, a revolution, schisms in the United States and in Europe that the Ruthenian/Rusyns maintained their customs and - you have to admit - their eastern orientation. Watching similar videos from ACROD and the BCC in the states, one would see that in spite of the odds, these 'old ways' managed to survive. The Latinizations often complained of here (and which crept into practice in the US and Canada in the early 20th century)  are not readily apparent on the surface of this Liturgy. When I relate how to my grandparents' generation they did not think in terms of being Catholic or Orthodox  but rather they spoke in simple terms of 'our church' or 'nase cerkov'  they were sincere. While the 20th century changed that perception so that the Orthodox and the Greek Catholics today understand that they are different, at least through the mass immigration of the early 20th century that was not the case. I can close my eyes and sing along in Church Slavonic from memory in the chant of my ancestors like it was yesterday, even though I haven't done so in more than ten years as we just don't use Church Slavonic anymore. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5Hq6kcFdk&feature=g-all-u
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »

Oddly enough, I've thought a lot about the celebration of Pascha in Zakarpattia this year, starting with thinking about all the parishes throughout it while we were processing Great and Holy Saturday.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: