OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:17:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Argument to Explain Suffering of Innocent Children  (Read 1642 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »

So, men can't be happy with their children?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:14 AM »

Once their children are self-aware and can start to speak, men can start to be happy.  Children are most enjoyable around ten-twelve, once they are beginning to form real personalities, but before they begin to experience major power conflicts with the adults in their lives.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »

Can I get much closer to the Divine than when holding an infant? Ya know what I mean?

A lot. I could count dozens, probably hundreds of ways.

Infants are boring if you have more testosterone than (Gabriel help me out here with some of that folksy down home wordplay) a                 .

Once their children are self-aware and can start to speak, men can start to be happy.  Children are most enjoyable around ten-twelve, once they are beginning to form real personalities, but before they begin to experience major power conflicts with the adults in their lives.
Let me take a stab Orthonorm;
...more testosterone than a mother hen baking biscuts in the hen house?

The only way I can relate to your sentiments gentleman is to view it in solely a practical level. It is true that taking a baby out fishing, or teaching a 6month old how to play ball, or discussing the great philosophies of life with a toddler is not exactly the father child bonding experience books and movies are made of. My daughter is now twenty and we have had, and do have, so many of these practical experiences together. Much happiness has been found in them. However, I still clearly remember the inner joy found bringing her home from the hospital and holding her as an infant in my arms. I recall a time when she ran to me frantically with tears rolling down her face, as a one yr old after I was away on business for a couple of weeks. I remember that with more inner joy than the happiness of teaching her how to ride a bike. I found that even the stages when conflict with adults was the norm, has brought great inner reward by us resolving those conflicts as a father and child. We grow closer to God through struggles, and in the same way I believe often parents and children can find the same.

I guess in one way I can agree with you guys, yet, I also feel the relationship between a child and parent is far more spiritual than the practical happiness we are also blessed with when they reach that age. There is something about a baby that seems so pure and uncontaminated by this world. Something about a baby that needs our service and selfless Love 'as we love ourselves'. Something about a baby that seems closer to touching the Divine than most anything else in life I can experience.

Then again, I can actually cook up some pretty good biscuts and gravy.  Wink

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »

Sure enough, "blameworthy" would mean that God felt guilty for creating us.

He did more than that. He repented of it.
I think that's more of an ancient human interpretation of the natural disasters of the time, but such passages were not taken literally.  I mean to be consistent, God seems to have a nose since He loves to smell burnt offerings?

Sometimes a human father angry at his son's actions might have said things like "I regret having you as a son.". It sounds harsh now, but in other cultures, it's a common thing parents do in upbringing their children.  It's a reflection of the culture of their time.  If God says to the human race "you're hopeless", why bother with te incarnation?  Because despite seeming hopelessness, there is still hope.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »

I could be wrong, but I don't believe either of the individuals you were responding to have had babies of their own. In my experience, at least, the qualifier makes a world of difference. Babies are boring--my babies were a whole different story.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »

I could be wrong, but I don't believe either of the individuals you were responding to have had babies of their own. In my experience, at least, the qualifier makes a world of difference. Babies are boring--my babies were a whole different story.

I most certainly do not, and that could - I suppose - make the difference.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

I most certainly do not, and that could - I suppose - make the difference.

Well, yea, a difference of understanding each other anyway. I'm not sure which I appreciate more about myself; automatically 'assuming' you guys have kids, or my ability to completely forget the way I viewed children before I had one of my own.  Wink

Pertaining to the OP I'll still go with children are born as pure and 'Christ like' as many of us will ever be in life. At that point innocent of personal sin. IMHO not yet even accountable. All are born into original sin however and subject to the conditions of the world as such, yes? Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:17:31 AM by alanscott » Logged

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »

oops post
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:16:03 AM by alanscott » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: