OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:20:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Contemporary Christian Music  (Read 4148 times) Average Rating: 0
Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: May 01, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »

Howdy!

I have a 25-minute (one way) drive to work. I have a choice of listening to light rock, light rock, pop, more light rock, or Contemporary Christian Music (CCM). Some have rightfully said that CCM isn't as good as most pop or rock music, which I'd agree with. However, it does offer a cleaner message and we don't have to repeatedly listen to the same Lady Gaga song across several stations. Most have theologies that disagree with Orthodoxy. Some are strange (like Matthew West's You Are Everything). I attended an LCMS University and my New Testament professor made us listen to Michael W. Smith's Ancient Words. It's a good song.

For those who don't know, Orthodoxy has OFM (Orthodox Folk Music). Unlike CCM which can used during Protestant contemporary worship services, OFM is purely modern folk music, like drinking songs but with Christ-centered lyrics. You can find those at St. Romanos Records.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »

I generally don't find Christian music to be any better or worse than secular music, but then I'm mostly thinking of metal as I don't listen to much you'd hear on more pop-oriented stations. Though I will say that I rather liked some of the worship songs we used when I was a Protestant. Theologically shaky at best, sure, and sappy and emotional, but still, it got me to feel something (positive), which is more than I can say for most music.

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »

What about classical music (gotta love Beethoven, Mozart, etc.), Jazz or simply listening to the NEWS?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »

I have never understood the antipathy some Orthodox and Catholics have to CCM; I can only assume such antipathy is created and fostered by Evangelical converts to Orthodoxy or Catholicism who want to distance themselves completely from their past.  Some CCM is complete and utter crap.  No one with half a brain cell denies that.  However, much is also quite good.  In that respect, it is the same as any popular music: some of it sucks, some of it is good.  I mean, bands like D.C. Talk have even had their music played on VH1 and MTV (in the case of D.C. Talk, shortly before they went on an indefinite hiatus, their song Between You and Me was making the rounds on said stations, and on popular radio).  Then there are bands like Switchfoot which are composed of Christians and write songs that seem to quite clearly be influenced by Christianity, and who are quite popular nonetheless amongst non-Christians.  However, bands like Switchfoot usually get ignored by those who attack Christian rock for no apparent reason, because Switchfoot doesn't make any major attempts to tie itself in with the Christian music industry, whereas Toby Mac, for instance, does. 

As to the charge that CCM is not, somehow, "theologically heavy" or some such thing, should you really expect it to be?  I mean, when CCM artists create songs that they intend to be worship songs, they usually take a piece of the Psalter, sometimes a whole Psalm, sometimes not, and expand it into a 3 to 5 minute song.  If anyone attacks CCM for not being theologically heavy, they must attack David for not having put enough theology into the Psalms, because most CCM is at least as theological as the Psalms. 

As for Christian rock specifically, it seems to be that most people have one or two songs in their mind, and listen to every other Christian rock song with preconceived notions that it must be a "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" song, and then keep hold of lyrics that they can interpret that way, while ignoring the lyrics that contradict such an interpretation.  Honestly, I've quite seldom heard a "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" song, and I spent the better part of a few years listening to more-or-less ONLY Christian radio stations (specifically, KLove and Air1). 

As to the accuracy of the theology that is in Christian music, well, most CCM songs COULD be interpreted in theologically flawed ways, but COULD also be interpreted in theologically accurate ways, much how Amazing Grace can be seen as endorsing once-saved-always-saved, or can be seen in a theologically accurate way.  Those who are not prejudiced against Christian music will not hear every single CCM song as being heresy, while those who are prejudiced against it will always hear it as the gravest heresy.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Luckster
Double Dipper

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

What about classical music (gotta love Beethoven, Mozart, etc.), Jazz or simply listening to the NEWS?
I think society has reached a point when we're over-saturated with news. In other words, it's no longer news and reactionary, over-the-top drama.

As to the charge that CCM is not, somehow, "theologically heavy" or some such thing, should you really expect it to be?  I mean, when CCM artists create songs that they intend to be worship songs, they usually take a piece of the Psalter, sometimes a whole Psalm, sometimes not, and expand it into a 3 to 5 minute song.  If anyone attacks CCM for not being theologically heavy, they must attack David for not having put enough theology into the Psalms, because most CCM is at least as theological as the Psalms. 

As to the accuracy of the theology that is in Christian music, well, most CCM songs COULD be interpreted in theologically flawed ways, but COULD also be interpreted in theologically accurate ways, much how Amazing Grace can be seen as endorsing once-saved-always-saved, or can be seen in a theologically accurate way.  Those who are not prejudiced against Christian music will not hear every single CCM song as being heresy, while those who are prejudiced against it will always hear it as the gravest heresy.

To be fair, I did link to an example of a 'bad song'.  Even the B-I-B-L-E song has the lyric, "I stand alone on the Word of God," which endorses Sola Scriptura and making it unacceptable for Orthodox Sunday Schools. I think we can agree that it's more theologically effecacious for Orthodox to listen to Orthodox Folk Music rather than CCM.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »

If I wanted to listen to contemporary music then I would listen to contemporary music. But Christianity and Christian worship in particular is not supposed to be contemporary; it is liturgical. If I want to listen to something to help me worship, then I would listen to our liturgical hymns.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »

Personally, I've got a number of Liturgies and services that I've recorded.  I play these back ALL the time....and each time I get re-energized as the memory of the actual moment floods back to me.

I also have a rather extensive library of Orthodoxy CD's....Sacred Treasures, Chants from Valaam, etc. 

Can one ever tire of listening to any of these?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

The only "CCM" I can stomach is by a weird occultist dude named David Tibet.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »

I think society has reached a point when we're over-saturated with news. In other words, it's no longer news and reactionary, over-the-top drama.

You got that right!  Seems Journalism has been replaced with Pugilism.  BTW, doesn't your radio have country or bluegrass? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »

Meh. I listened to my share of CCM back in the day and will occasionally delve into the older songs I used to listen to out of a sense of nostalgia. That said, I was never that big of a fan of CCM radio, even in the days when I could stomach ANY radio station for longer than five minutes. I like certain types of music, this taste is wide and diverse, but most of CCM falls into the categories of music I don't like- bland manufactured pop or folksy wannabe spiritual music or Amy Grant. The fact that this music was Christian just made it worse- the Evangelical love of lowest-common-denominator pop-consumerism spirituality given musical form- the musical equivalent of WWJD bracelets and "edgy" t-shirts with Christian themes wore thin after too long and ends up sending the wrong message entirely.

Even the songs I did like weren't the greatest- I can count the number of bands on one finger that "changed my life" in the same manner my first listen to Nirvana or the Ramones did. Too, there was a tendency in the subgenres of CCM that doesn't exist in the sub-genre's of music- a group is expected to change it's style to match what is popular whereas in actual underground rap or punk this is something that would be derided. A good example is DC Talk- Jesus Freak was indeed a great album, very well done, and well-deserving of the accolades it has won since it's release in 1995- but the sudden shift away from their original rap-rock-and-soul style to ripping off Smells Like Teen Spirit is something that would have had them rightly pilloried in most non-Christian music lovers' camps.

In short, what ended up falling flat with me, and leading to my not listening to any new Christian music well before my conversion to Orthodoxy, was the fact that CCMers are not musicians, they are evangelists with musical instruments. The Message is what is important, not the Music- and while this might, to a certain extent, be true when the Message is the Gospel there is a certain dishonesty behind adopting the trappings of a musical style beyond that of bland-radio pop that undermines the Message to begin with. If more bands were Christian musicians as opposed to Christians with musical instruments I might still be listening to Christian bands to this day.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »

Hymns are always best. CCM is just garbage.

PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »

I have never understood the antipathy some Orthodox and Catholics have to CCM; I can only assume such antipathy is created and fostered by Evangelical converts to Orthodoxy or Catholicism who want to distance themselves completely from their past.  Some CCM is complete and utter crap.  No one with half a brain cell denies that.  However, much is also quite good.  In that respect, it is the same as any popular music: some of it sucks, some of it is good.  I mean, bands like D.C. Talk have even had their music played on VH1 and MTV (in the case of D.C. Talk, shortly before they went on an indefinite hiatus, their song Between You and Me was making the rounds on said stations, and on popular radio).  Then there are bands like Switchfoot which are composed of Christians and write songs that seem to quite clearly be influenced by Christianity, and who are quite popular nonetheless amongst non-Christians.  However, bands like Switchfoot usually get ignored by those who attack Christian rock for no apparent reason, because Switchfoot doesn't make any major attempts to tie itself in with the Christian music industry, whereas Toby Mac, for instance, does.  

As to the charge that CCM is not, somehow, "theologically heavy" or some such thing, should you really expect it to be?  I mean, when CCM artists create songs that they intend to be worship songs, they usually take a piece of the Psalter, sometimes a whole Psalm, sometimes not, and expand it into a 3 to 5 minute song.  If anyone attacks CCM for not being theologically heavy, they must attack David for not having put enough theology into the Psalms, because most CCM is at least as theological as the Psalms.  

As for Christian rock specifically, it seems to be that most people have one or two songs in their mind, and listen to every other Christian rock song with preconceived notions that it must be a "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" song, and then keep hold of lyrics that they can interpret that way, while ignoring the lyrics that contradict such an interpretation.  Honestly, I've quite seldom heard a "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" song, and I spent the better part of a few years listening to more-or-less ONLY Christian radio stations (specifically, KLove and Air1).  

As to the accuracy of the theology that is in Christian music, well, most CCM songs COULD be interpreted in theologically flawed ways, but COULD also be interpreted in theologically accurate ways, much how Amazing Grace can be seen as endorsing once-saved-always-saved, or can be seen in a theologically accurate way.  Those who are not prejudiced against Christian music will not hear every single CCM song as being heresy, while those who are prejudiced against it will always hear it as the gravest heresy.

Except that some of us started hating CCM years and years before Orthodox came on the radar. Stop assuming because we don't like something Protestant it must mean we're reactionary converts.  Roll Eyes  Maybe it means we have taste   Tongue

I tend to get audio books from the library or listen to NPR.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:56:29 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »

I tend to listen to "The Ark" on the "Orthodox Christian Network", a lot of variety in style everything from traditional Byzantine Chant to folk music, to some hard rocking numbers. Not a lot actual variety in songs. I guess there's not a lot of contemporary Orthodox artists out there, but there are some songs on there that I really like musically, and I say that as a musician. (Not a good musician, mind you, but as someone who plays and doesn't just listen.)

As to the Protestant Contemporary Christian Music I understand about some of the dislike especially the mainstream radio stuff. Now, however, I used to go to the Cornerstone festival every year and the music there was of wide variety from folk to metal, rap to punk, "New Age Music" (the style, not the ideology) to Goth. Most of the artists they brought in, at least when I went, wouldn't be caught dead flipping styles, and the had the good sense to group music like with like. The metal bands would be on the metal stage the folk bands on the folk stage. Some of the bands were really deep too.

As a festival they branched out beyond music too into art, literature (Tolkien, Lewis, others) movies, and teaching on many topics. The seminars covered also of the previous topics as well as apologetics,  the business side of ministry, culture etc. It was a good time and definitely not a vanilla experience.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »

I tend to listen to "The Ark" on the "Orthodox Christian Network", a lot of variety in style everything from traditional Byzantine Chant to folk music, to some hard rocking numbers. Not a lot actual variety in songs. I guess there's not a lot of contemporary Orthodox artists out there, but there are some songs on there that I really like musically, and I say that as a musician. (Not a good musician, mind you, but as someone who plays and doesn't just listen.)

As to the Protestant Contemporary Christian Music I understand about some of the dislike especially the mainstream radio stuff. Now, however, I used to go to the Cornerstone festival every year and the music there was of wide variety from folk to metal, rap to punk, "New Age Music" (the style, not the ideology) to Goth. Most of the artists they brought in, at least when I went, wouldn't be caught dead flipping styles, and the had the good sense to group music like with like. The metal bands would be on the metal stage the folk bands on the folk stage. Some of the bands were really deep too.

As a festival they branched out beyond music too into art, literature (Tolkien, Lewis, others) movies, and teaching on many topics. The seminars covered also of the previous topics as well as apologetics,  the business side of ministry, culture etc. It was a good time and definitely not a vanilla experience.

I went to Cornerstone back in the early 80's.  It was definitely not your vanilla experience.   Cheesy  The oddest memory I have is going to a seminar given by Edith Schaeffer.  Very odd experience with all those punk and metal rock people and here was little Edith Schaeffer talking about homemaking and caring for Francis in his last days.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »

[This Post, A Mistake]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:13:12 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:20 PM »

Heh, that takes me back- not that I ever went to the Cornerstone festival, but I lived a block down from the JPUSA commune in Chicago. For those who don't know, the JPUSA are the ones who started and still back the Cornerstone festival. They were an... interesting group of people.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 11:40:37 PM »

I went to Cornerstone back in the early 80's.  It was definitely not your vanilla experience.   Cheesy  The oddest memory I have is going to a seminar given by Edith Schaeffer.  Very odd experience with all those punk and metal rock people and here was little Edith Schaeffer talking about homemaking and caring for Francis in his last days.
You know I think I remember her being there. I went every year for at least the first ten years and  a decent amount of the 2nd ten, I just don't remember exactly how many. It worked well for me I like Heavy Metal and bagpipes.

Heh, that takes me back- not that I ever went to the Cornerstone festival, but I lived a block down from the JPUSA commune in Chicago. For those who don't know, the JPUSA are the ones who started and still back the Cornerstone festival. They were an... interesting group of people.

Agreed, I visited them for several Sunday morning services when I was in college.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 11:47:35 PM »

To be fair, I did link to an example of a 'bad song'.  Even the B-I-B-L-E song has the lyric, "I stand alone on the Word of God," which endorses Sola Scriptura and making it unacceptable for Orthodox Sunday Schools. I think we can agree that it's more theologically effecacious for Orthodox to listen to Orthodox Folk Music rather than CCM.

But, again, there are plenty of perfectly acceptable CCM songs.  Why should Orthodox Folk Music be any better, simply because Orthodox people wrote it?  Nestorius was once Orthodox, as was Arius.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:10:30 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1mRm6H96Q

Nestorius approves of Devotam. Contemporary Christian Metal for the masses, and quite elite for the blackened hordes of darkness. A win for both sides!
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 03:36:55 AM »

...some of us started hating CCM years and years before Orthodox came on the radar. Stop assuming because we don't like something Protestant it must mean we're reactionary converts.  Roll Eyes  Maybe it means we have taste   Tongue

Agreed.
No "reaction" here; just always thought it was horrible.  I'll change my mind when I've heard something that isn't horrible, but I'm sure not going to seek it out.  That said, I really can't stand most contemporary music, and certainly anything with contemporary in the name.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Luckster
Double Dipper

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 05:04:56 AM »

But, again, there are plenty of perfectly acceptable CCM songs.  Why should Orthodox Folk Music be any better, simply because Orthodox people wrote it?  Nestorius was once Orthodox, as was Arius.
By and large, OFM tends to have better, more Orthodox lyrics, while CCM tends to be theologically shallow (speaking in generalizations, of course). My favorite CCM band is Faith +1.

Nestorius approves of Devotam. Contemporary Christian Metal for the masses, and quite elite for the blackened hordes of darkness. A win for both sides!
That's creepy.

[This Post, A Mistake]
This would imply that Asteriktos makes mistakes.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »

By and large, OFM tends to have better, more Orthodox lyrics, while CCM tends to be theologically shallow (speaking in generalizations, of course). My favorite CCM band is Faith +1.

That's creepy.

[This Post, A Mistake]
This would imply that Asteriktos makes mistakes.

If you think CCM is theologically shallow, you must be real upset how the Orthodox Church has Psalms read, what with their theological shallowness.

CCM is generally JUST as theologically deep as the Psalms.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »

I'm puzzled by the assumption that, if the music has "good lyrics", that the music as a whole is therefore good.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »

With that last sentence of his post, JamesRottnek made me laugh.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 12:52:55 AM »

This is a contemporary Orthodox song about becoming Orthodox, and I highly recommend that everyone here go listen and be edified:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8_zWvTeyY&feature=related

Seriously, please go listen to it. Please. I don't want to be the only one here who has listened to this. Be attentive to the brief bridge.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:55:25 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »

This is a contemporary Orthodox song about becoming Orthodox, and I highly recommend that everyone here go listen and be edified:

Seriously, please go listen to it. Please. I don't want to be the only one here who has listened to this. Be attentive to the brief bridge.

I stopped at 34 seconds because that was way too cheesy.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »

Please somebody, make it all the way through. TRA-DI-SHE-ON.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »

I got further than that, at least a bit. A good effort: not unlike many of the conversion stories we read here and everywhere. Interesting idea to put it in the context of a song. I like the idea and concept - unfortunately, I really don't like that style of music (Christian or not).
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't make it the whole way through. Sorry. It's not bad, but I don't think I like explicitly religious songs in Western pop format very much. Which is weird, because I like folk music, but I didn't like that. Hm.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »

What about orthodox gospel music. I'd love to see something like that

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »

I think Psalm 50 would make a wonderful Gospel song, if by Gospel we are referring to what Martin Luther King, Jr called a "Negro Spiritual" and not to the Gaithers.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »

I think Psalm 50 would make a wonderful Gospel song, if by Gospel we are referring to what Martin Luther King, Jr called a "Negro Spiritual" and not to the Gaithers.

MLK all the way!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I would have written the lyrics somehow different: Like "I like a candle for my family/And 40 for my enemy/ Eastern Orthodoxy" or something.
And once he'll get the right mindset he'll modify the opening line to :"I go to church when I feel like it/when we keep Easter in the East at least..."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:28:35 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I would have written the lyrics somehow different: Like "I like a candle for my family/And 40 for my enemy/ Eastern Orthodoxy" or something.
And once he'll get the right mindset he'll modify the opening line to :"I go to church when I feel like it/when we keep Easter in the East at least..."

The East has no exclusive claim to the Easter and/or Christmas Christian. The West has a proud heritage of once or twice a year for many people.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 05:48:50 AM »

If I were a priest I wouldn't commune this person until he removed the song from youtube.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »

If I were a priest I wouldn't commune this person until he removed the song from youtube.

Axios!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »

Come on people, it's the woman in the video who wrote the song.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »

Yeah, I couldn't make it the whole way through. Sorry. It's not bad, but I don't think I like explicitly religious songs in Western pop format very much. Which is weird, because I like folk music, but I didn't like that. Hm.

No, it's just bad.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »

Oh, okay. I thought music was a matter of taste, but I guess you're right, it isn't.  Smiley

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »

King's X remains unmatched.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »

Oh, okay. I thought music was a matter of taste, but I guess you're right, it isn't.  Smiley

Usually it's a matter of taste; there are a few rare instances where it is not.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

I bought the new Demon Hunter album a few days ago. A Christian friend recommended it to me, saying it was aweseome. He is no longer my friend.

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »

One of my greatest fears is that the next "reality" TV show will be "Christian Idol"  Tongue.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »

I bought the new Demon Hunter album a few days ago. A Christian friend recommended it to me, saying it was aweseome. He is no longer my friend.

I don't care for the one or two Demon Hunter songs I've listened to (though I know one or two non-Christian metal heads who do like them, if I'm keeping my Christian metal bands straight), but I also generally don't like metal.

Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

Well speaking of contemporary Christian music and Orthodox homemade forays there unto….here's something a bit different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rTZ7NFQMJ4

BTW…whatever became of St. Romanos Records?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:39:11 PM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Tags: protestant music  music  contemporary christian music  st. romanos records 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: