OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:19:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1429 times) Average Rating: 0
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« on: October 23, 2004, 03:18:54 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Peace,
My name is Shawn, I am a convert to Coptic Orthodox from Catholicism, after study on the Fathers, and after studying the Councils, I decided that Oriental Orthodoxy was of the right mind.
With all peace and love.
copticorthodoxboy
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 02:23:27 AM »

Hi! Welcome to our forum.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 03:59:23 PM »

Welcome to the board, Shawn.  If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear your conversion story some time.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 04:55:56 PM »

I'd be especially interested to hear your take on Chalcedon (stock question, I know, but humour me)

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 09:03:20 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Peace,
Mor Ephrem,
Okay, I will try to make it short and sweet.  I am Shawn, been on this planet almost 19 years (I am 18, not to confuss anyone).  I was born into a Protestant family, though I really didn't practice the form of Protestantism I was born into, that being Methodism, until I was about 12.  In the 7th grade, I saw, in my Intro to Foreign Language class a film on St. Michael's Monastery.  It is I believe a Benedictine monastery, in France.  I found the life the monks lived very interesting, and so started watching EWTN and TBN.  As I continued watching EWTN, I was convinced that the Catholic faith was the fullness of faith, and so I continued to practice it privately.  I started to read the life of Francis of Assisi (who I still look up at today), and was at loss of words over his life.  However, before reading his life, I stopped by a Catholic church near my house, after a summer bike ride, to refresh myself with some water.  I eventually met up with the pastor of that church, a man by the name of Fr. Jerome Fasano.  He gave me a few books, to name just a few, the Catechism of the Catholic church and Jesus our Eucharistic love.  At any rate, age 15, my parents allowed me to be confirmed into the Catholic church.  At this time, also, I was considering, after reading Francis's life, to become a Franciscan myself, of a group of friars, called the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal.  I liked how the friars wore beards, helped the poor, and didn't go around in civilian clothing.  So, to continue my Catholic journey, I started to read more on Francis, and some Catholic mystics.  These being all Carmelites, John of the Cross (all his works), Teresa of Avilia, as well as the Little Flower, Therese of Lisuexe (sp?), as well as the life of Padre Pio (okay, a Franciscan).  However, as I continued to read, these saints were apart of a much different Catholic church than I was.  That's right, the dreaded development of doctrine was just tearing the Catholic church apart.  So, I started to look for something much more stable.  My answer came when Pope John Paul II went to the Ukraine.  This was my introduction to the Eastern Rite Catholics, and I was blown away (at this time, I was aware of the Orthodox).  So, one day a few friends and myself were passing down Braddock Rd. and we see this domed church, by the name of St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church, at the time, I was hoping it was Eastern Rite.  To my displeasure, it wasn't.  However, EWTN started to run a show called, "Light of the East" on the Eastern Rite Catholics, though mostly, Byzantine Rite.  I really enjoyed the show (and I must say, I still do watch it), and started to look up some of the Church Fathers writings on the internet, as well as contemporary Orthodox and Eastern Rite saints.  I came to the conclusion that the Catholic church wasn't holding the Faith of the early Fathers.  I mean, all the pope has to do is say something, define it as infallible, and you have to follow it.  So, the pope could say that Jesus was just a man, or whatever, and if he defined it as infallible, you have to follow it.  So, at that time, I really knew that this wasn't the Church that Jesus established.  So, I believe on St. Paddy's day, 2003, I started attending St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church  (I say St. Paddy's, because much of the blood that pumps through these veins is Irish), and was Baptized, and Chrismed on my 18th birthday, 6. Dec. 2003.  
Penelope, my view on Chalcedon.  To make it short and simple, I don't believe it is an Ecumenical Council.  I have my reasons, but I look up to many Eastern Orthodox saints, as well as lay people in general, and since most on this site are Eastern Orthodox, I wish not to open old wounds.  
With all love and peace.
coptic orthodox boy
p.s.  Sorry, haha, it is a bit longer then I had planned.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 09:33:26 PM »

Thanks be to God that He lead you to Orthodoxy.  May He grant you increase in holiness!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
mourad

Mia, not mono!

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 12:07:56 PM »

I know this might sound insticative,
BUT!
i used to learn so much more from this forum when Peterfarrington and Linus7 and Raouf would have heated discussions...
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 11:23:17 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Peace,
Thank you all for your warm welcome.  How can I switch my picture on the side?
With all love and peace.
copticorthodoxboy
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 10:38:50 AM »

Go to "edit profile" at the top of the page and you will be able to change your avatar.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 09:57:13 AM »

Welcome to the forum Shawn!  And welcome home to the Orthodox Church!

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags: conversion story conversion stories conversion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: