OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 07:57:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Are Teenagers So Stupid?  (Read 2518 times) Average Rating: 0
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »

Again, I agree. However, all teenagers have brains that have not finished developing.

I'd say my brain is pretty well developed. Or at least I hope so...
I hope so too, but it is an established fact that the brain does not finish developing until about the age of 25.

Actually, studies show that teenagers use different parts of their brains than adults, for the same functions, until about the age of 25.  Does different mean inferior?
I didn't say inferior. I said less developed. Teenagers still are equal in human dignity, and created in the image and likeness of God, just as much as adults are.
Three examples of the less developed nature of the teenage brain (examples we learn about in training for teachers).
1. On average, teenagers are not able to think as abstractly as adults.
2. On average, teenagers have a greater deal of difficult putting together the multitude of minor steps that it takes to reach a major goal, especially when that goal is months or years down the road.
3. When we are teenagers, we tend to unconsciously see ourselves as the center of the world, and this is true even of the less selfish of us. The world is sort of like a first person novel, in which we are the main character. As we grow up, hopefully we move past this to some degree, but it is more prevalent, on average, in the teenage person.
Again, these are not judgements against teenagers. They merely descriptions of how the average teenage mind works. Knowing these things has helped me immensely with patience and understanding when it comes to my students.
And for the record, I can see a major difference between my cognitive skills as a teenager/young adult and my cognitive skills now that I am in my early 30s.
BUT, all that means is that now I have less of an excuse for the multitude of stupid things I do.  Grin

Well said papist  Grin

The adolescent brain is indeed still undergoing maturation. However the area of maturation correlates the behavior manifested. The Limbic system that deals with fear, emotional impulses matures before the prefrontal cortex, which is essential for planning ahead, emotional regulation, response inhibition, and organization.
The maturing limbic system is particularly attracted to strong immediate sensations, unchecked by the slowly maturing prefrontal cortex for this reason adolescents like intensity, excitement and arousal.

As you have mentioned, in general this is one of the reason that the adolescent thinking is egocentric, with its own invincibility fable, and an imaginary audience.

Depending on the kind of environment one is exposed to, these neurological realities can be positive or negative to the overall wellness of the adolescence.

As far as how society deals with this fact, is however a complicated matter; especially as the educational system, and the penal system, etc. must reassess their functional approach in the light of these facts and their implications.
And, unfortunately, the educational system is not there yet.

a very sad reality indeed.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Things just got worse with teenagers. All I can say about this is....Good Lord, what are we going to do?

When we think about teen substance abuse, our minds veer to dad's liquor cabinet or illegal drugs. But reports show that teens are increasingly turning to their home kitchen pantries to chase a high.

YouTube videos and Internet blogs are spreading the use of some everyday items you might use to bake dessert, including nutmeg and vanilla extract, for mind-altering purposes.

SMH....  Huh

- GTA

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: