OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:23:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Are Teenagers So Stupid?  (Read 2703 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: April 30, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/30/BARP1OB3JE.DTL

This poor fellow whom I used to attend school with was murdered on saturday night by some kid with a sword. Gunshots broke out, there was fighting, girls crying, violence etc. Just a party went wrong. Ironically, my mother pulled me out of this school a few months ago because she said it was dangerous. Anyway, it got me wondering, why are teenagers so stupid? Are they actually thinking when these fights are going on? That, the second they pull that gun out of their pocket and pull the trigger that they could be facing life behind bars forever and lose their entire life? Or, the second you murder that poor kid with your blade that you are going to go to jail forever or be sent to live in a mental asylum? Seriously, think of the consequences. Do they even think of these things? Or do they only think of impressing their dumb friends at the moment or looking tough? Bragging rights I guess. But are bragging rights worth life in prison? So, why do teenagers do stupid things? The youth has really gone down the toilet in this day and age. Whenever these stupid events come up that could lead to a fight, I always back down and remind myself that I am at least smarter than them and will be rich one day while they are thugs for eternity in and out of jail. Also, I cannot help but feel a bit partially responsible for this. The ironic thing is, this murder happened on the night before Liturgy, when I decided to miss it. You do not think that this happned as punishment because I missed Liturgy do you?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »

This poor fellow whom I used to attend school with was murdered on saturday night by some kid with a sword. Gunshots broke out, there was fighting, girls crying, violence etc. Just a party went wrong. Ironically, my mother pulled me out of this school a few months ago because she said it was dangerous. Anyway, it got me wondering, why are teenagers so stupid? Are they actually thinking when these fights are going on? That, the second they pull that gun out of their pocket and pull the trigger that they could be facing life behind bars forever and lose their entire life? Or, the second you murder that poor kid with your blade that you are going to go to jail forever or be sent to live in a mental asylum? Seriously, think of the consequences. Do they even think of these things? Or do they only think of impressing their dumb friends at the moment or looking tough? Bragging rights I guess. But are bragging rights worth life in prison? So, why do teenagers do stupid things? The youth has really gone down the toilet in this day and age. Whenever these stupid events come up that could lead to a fight, I always back down and remind myself that I am at least smarter than them and will be rich one day while they are thugs for eternity in and out of jail. Also, I cannot help but feel a bit partially responsible for this. The ironic thing is, this murder happened on the night before Liturgy, when I decided to miss it. You do not think that this happned as punishment because I missed Liturgy do you?
No.  Were supposed to go to DL with you?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »

I'm so sorry, James.  I'm not sure that teenagers hold a special claim to stupidity.  The claim is held by all of humanity.  Please don't believe this horrible event was somehow related to you not going to Liturgy.  All humanity has contributed to it in some sense I suppose...  We should all pray for forgiveness of the ways we have fed the insanity of the world and pray that we become vehicles of grace and love.  But please, please don't look for direct correlations where there are none.  Lord have mercy.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »

My opinion (not in order)

1) Too much television & video games
2) Raised by television & video games
3) Broken families
4) Lost faith

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:28 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Whenever these stupid events come up that could lead to a fight, I always back down and remind myself that I am at least smarter than them and will be rich one day while they are thugs for eternity in and out of jail.

Luke 18:9-14
Matthew 25:44-45

Wink

Or, the second you murder that poor kid with your blade that you are going to go to jail forever or be sent to live in a mental asylum? Seriously, think of the consequences. Do they even think of these things? Or do they only think of impressing their dumb friends at the moment or looking tough? Bragging rights I guess. But are bragging rights worth life in prison? So, why do teenagers do stupid things?

A) Teenagers are not really all that stupid, trust me.

B) I can't speak too much about this particular incident, I was not there, but in regards to fight-or-flight reactions in potentially life-or-death moments, I would say your crass opinions here are almost naively condescending.  It may be easy in hindsight to criticise, but what if it were you potentially fighting for your literal survival? In that moment, life is more complicated then it seems outside looking in.  I don't support violence, I am a Christian and prefer to resort to prayer beads instead of violence, but I have also been in some sticky situations in my life in the past, and so at the least I can empathize and understand such survival modes.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:44:56 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith
Yet none of these things has anything to do with the OP's link. Saying "its too many movies and games", what does that solve? Nothing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:46:14 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »

It's the nature of inexperience.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »

Might I add, just for the record, I know a few people who belong in all 4 of those categories who are nothing but upstanding caring individuals who would not even remotely consider actions such as the one linked in the OP.

Now as far as my opinion, which is unreleated and disconnected to this story, about society watching too much TV and playing games? I agree. However I would never link both to this story. You can't conclusively prove either or can be the cause.

Broken families? Sure some people come out of bad and some don't. You have to look at it case by case. Not every broken home is going to produce a criminal.

Lost faith? I say the faith being lost happens in college and later in life when suffering becomes much more real and imminent. But no faith in the household? Again it all depends upon what kind of family values are in place. Do I think American homes of today lack tradiotional family values? Of course and it explains a rapidly decline in marriage and community involvement and a rise in narcissism and selfishness.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

You do not think that this happned as punishment because I missed Liturgy do you?
No.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »

You do not think that this happned as punishment because I missed Liturgy do you?
No.
If James had that much impact I might be asking him for a few favors...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith
Yet none of these things has anything to do with the OP's link. Saying "its too many movies and games", what does that solve? Nothing.

Too much of anything is bad for you.  I believe when a child is subjected for a good part of their upbringing to fantasy worlds of movies, which often depict sex and violence, that often we'll reap what we sew.   Sew the seeds of hatred, violence, sexual misconduct, and there will be those who act upon it.

In the case of the OP, he asked "Why are teenagers so stupid".  This is my opinion why.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »

The only issue I have with that, is you seem to apply that to everyone. I grew up playing too much video games and watching alot of TV. Granted now I hardly do either, but it never caused my upbringing to falter because of that. I am pretty self-aware of my faults and problems, but none of that is correlated to TV and Video Games.

However I will divulge that I do think kids need structure and a healthy balance in terms of recreational activity. A little bit of video games here, a little bit of playing outside there, reading a little bit here, etc.

I do think we share the same family values and how we want to raise children, or in your case have, but I'm just careful not pointing the finger at certain types of media as a cause.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »

Why would God kill someone else because you missed liturgy? To the extent that teenagers are any stupider than the average run of humanity, thinking they are the center of the universe is probably the biggest reason.

God cares about you. The world does not.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »

My dear boy, if God worked like that, He'd be Satan.

Scientifically, the human brain does not fully develop its reasoning capabilities until about the age 25. This explains some of the disregard for consequences. Spiritually, young people are not raised even to know right from wrong, and their consciences have been lulled to sleep by entertainments. Where is the sacrificial love? Where is the service? Where is the desire for truth? I see that you and others your age on the forum have this since you are here and you ask questions and you struggle mightily. (Don't give up, by the way! Don't ever give up.)

Pray for these poor young people, and God will have mercy on them and enlighten their hearts and minds. When we pray with pain of heart, God uses this as an excuse to intervene because He sees there is love there. Some people treat prayer as a garnish, but it is the substance of our spiritual life, the meat and drink--more essential than breathing, more effective than 100 lectures, more illuminating than books, more binding than chains.

May God grant Osana rest with the saints and forgiveness of sins. And may He grant mercy and help to the one that killed him and all the rest. Lord have mercy on us.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »

Why would God kill someone else because you missed liturgy? To the extent that teenagers are any stupider than the average run of humanity, thinking they are the center of the universe is probably the biggest reason.
Well you said that alot nicer than I would have, heh heh.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:35:33 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »

No. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out point blankly but this is a ridiculous question, no offense. Its akin to hubris but worse... If you ever wonder anything like that again the answer is "NO."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:55:33 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 12:31:28 AM »

They're not mature enough yet to function successfully in the adult world, and they don't have enough experience yet of the adult world to be content to continue living as children because they think they're beyond that.

And if God killed someone every time someone else missed liturgy, there'd be nobody left to go to liturgy anymore. Then who would God kill?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 03:24:30 AM »

I think the main difference between someone that is 18 and someone that is 26 is not intelligence but experience (the older person probably also has accumulated more knowledge as well, but that doesn't play as big a role in this type of situation IMO). Life experience tends to temper impulsivity in most people.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:32:38 AM »

I think the main difference between someone that is 18 and someone that is 26 is not intelligence but experience (the older person probably also has accumulated more knowledge as well, but that doesn't play as big a role in this type of situation IMO). Life experience tends to temper impulsivity in most people.
I'd agree with this. The perspective gained by experience is a big difference between those ages, and even at 22, I can look back upon my teenage years, especially the early and mid ones, and realize the naive or stupid things I did that I wouldn't do now.

Or as Rod Stewart might put it:

I wish that I knew what I know now
when I was younger
when I was stronger.

Don't hate me, I blame my Mom. She loves his music. Tongue

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »

Yes, teenagers are stupid, but we have to keep in mind that their brains are not fully developed yet.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »

Yes, teenagers are stupid, but we have to keep in mind that their brains are not fully developed yet.

And old people are stupid too, because theirs have deteriorated.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

I'd agree with this. The perspective gained by experience is a big difference between those ages, and even at 22, I can look back upon my teenage years, especially the early and mid ones, and realize the naive or stupid things I did that I wouldn't do now.

Or as Rod Stewart might put it:

when I was younger
when I was stronger.

Don't hate me, I blame my Mom. She loves his music. Tongue

No shame in liking Rod Stewart.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »

Without the forgivable stupidities of teenagers the unpardonable stupidities of politicians and marketers would come to a screeching halt.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »

The only issue I have with that, is you seem to apply that to everyone. I grew up playing too much video games and watching alot of TV. Granted now I hardly do either, but it never caused my upbringing to falter because of that. I am pretty self-aware of my faults and problems, but none of that is correlated to TV and Video Games.

However I will divulge that I do think kids need structure and a healthy balance in terms of recreational activity. A little bit of video games here, a little bit of playing outside there, reading a little bit here, etc.

I do think we share the same family values and how we want to raise children, or in your case have, but I'm just careful not pointing the finger at certain types of media as a cause.

I do believe that there are very few movies suitable for a family.  I check every movie on a web site called dove.org, which will literally break down every single incident that could be considered "immoral".  I mean they'll even give you cuss word counts on minor cuss words like but*, cra*, and hel*... etc.   (I slightly censored because I'm not sure if I can spell the word out on the forum)

Anyway, after looking at the most seemingly "innocent" movies, they actually all practically contained sever shrewed words at the least.  In entire days at my home, I never hear any of these words, so my wife and I decided - when we put God first in our homes, we lock the world out of our home, so why let the "winds of the world" blow through our house?  We wouldn't allow those words to be spoken by any member of our home, so why would we let the "invited guest" say them.  (Here's a great short story called "The Invited Guest" http://www.sugardoodle.net/Television/The%20invited%20guest.shtml)

You'd be surprised... Just check out some movies on the dove.org site, and its pretty straight forward.  There's other forms of objectionable content as well, such as cleavage and disrespect towards parents cited.

The same generally goes for video games, filled with magic, violence, and other objectionable content.

No, its not everything (well with TV it practically is), but I do believe that the "stupidity" the OP was talking about was why do they do such horrible and stupid things without thinking etc.  I believe they have filled their minds with poison, and often have anti social problems because of it.

Don't get me wrong either, I wore out the old 8 bit nintendos and Atari 2600 systems... But they weren't as real, time consuming, nor the games as sick.

I think I've told this story here before, but if I haven't, on my daughter's 13th birthday (she's still 13), I cornered her.  I said "________, okay you are 13 years old now, and I've never heard  you once say a bad word.   Do you even know any bad words?"   She said while looking down and glum, "Yes I do know a bad word".   I say "well I want  you to tell me what it is that you know, and where you learned it".  She said very shyly and under her voice "fart". 

She learned it from me because I played pull my finger with my 3 year old and later told my wife about it and told here how I was dead accurate on the fart...

But anyway, I really love to keep the children "innocent", and away from the "winds of the world".  Later as rational adults, with the full understanding (including in abstract) what sin is, they'll learn plenty from this world needing healing.   I just hope everything I can teach them will stick, and they will have a "the armor of God".

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »

And old people are stupid too, because theirs have deteriorated.
While it is true, that some older people develop slower abilities to process and calculate information, many of them make up for this in wisdom. I can think of several oler people I have known whose mental capabilities have deteriorated, but whose wisdom remains.
In the case of teenagers, no matter how mature they generally are, I am always suprised about how insane some of their thinking is. This is not meant to be an insult. It's ok that teenagers have not fully developed their cognitive abilities. That is simply where they are in life. This is why we should not be so quick to judge when they do ridiculous things.

NOTE: As a high school teacher, if I did not believe this, I would be constantly frustrated. However, when I can say, it's ok, their brains have not yet finished developing, I am able to be much more patient with them. In fact, most of the high school teachers I know feel the same way.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:16:12 PM by Papist » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

their brains have not yet finished developing, I am able to be much more patient with them. In fact, most of the high school teachers I know feel the same way.
Agreed completely  Cheesy
It goes both ways.  The older, fully developed brain inherently takes less risks and therefore has less experience and then gains less wisdom.  The very "wisdom" which grown folks posses is the culmination of a lifetime of mistakes, bad decisions, accidents, tragedies, adventures, experiments, etc etc.  When folks are young, they take adventurous risks and learn from the experience.  The impetuousness of youth allows for certain opportunities which more grown folks tend to reject. It is no coincidence that at the teenage years of 17,18,19 stepping up that most people begin to truly discover the depths of their faith.  They are learning about God from their new experiences.  They are gaining faith through the joy of discovery and the trials of adversity.  It is further not a coincidence that older folks tend to have less epiphany moments in regards to their faith, as we tend to take a smoother course which offers less faith building risk.

Of course, grown folks only tend to reject these because as youths they already had been there, done that.  So we realistically can't discredit one over the other.  If we all had the willingness to experiment and take risks like kids we just might enjoy our lives a bit more, and if kids had a bit more of the foresight gained from the wisdom of experience.  It is then mixed..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:33:41 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

their brains have not yet finished developing, I am able to be much more patient with them. In fact, most of the high school teachers I know feel the same way.
Agreed completely  Cheesy
It goes both ways.  The older, fully developed brain inherently takes less risks and therefore has less experience and then gains less wisdom.  The very "wisdom" which grown folks posses is the culmination of a lifetime of mistakes, bad decisions, accidents, tragedies, adventures, experiments, etc etc.  When folks are young, they take adventurous risks and learn from the experience.  The impetuousness of youth allows for certain opportunities which more grown folks tend to reject. It is no coincidence that at the teenage years of 17,18,19 stepping up that most people begin to truly discover the depths of their faith.  They are learning about God from their new experiences.  They are gaining faith through the joy of discovery and the trials of adversity.  It is further not a coincidence that older folks tend to have less epiphany moments in regards to their faith, as we tend to take a smoother course which offers less faith building risk.

Of course, grown folks only tend to reject these because as youths they already had been there, done that.  So we realistically can't discredit one over the other.  If we all had the willingness to experiment and take risks like kids we just might enjoy our lives a bit more, and if kids had a bit more of the foresight gained from the wisdom of experience.  It is then mixed..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
One can learn from observing others short falls instead of being a participant in them. Youth in general have a sense of indestructibility and I believe that is the fuel for risky behavior.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith
I agree with your analysis. However, not all teenagers are stupid. There are many idealistic, decent, bright  teenagers of high moral character.
Who are the really stupid ones today? I can point to many examples. For one, who is behind all of these wars that America has gotten itself into. How many innocent  people have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? While American cities and states are going broke, the US sees nothing wrong with wasting  billions of dollars overseas.
http://costofwar.com/en/
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith
I agree with your analysis. However, not all teenagers are stupid. There are many idealistic, decent, bright  teenagers of high moral character.
Who are the really stupid ones today? I can point to many examples. For one, who is behind all of these wars that America has gotten itself into. How many innocent  people have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? While American cities and states are going broke, the US sees nothing wrong with wasting  billions of dollars overseas.
Even bright students often can't deal with subjectivity. Though I agree, some teenagers are definitely better than others. My view of them is definitely colored by the fact that I teach credit recovery courses.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:42:44 PM by Papist » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith
I agree with your analysis. However, not all teenagers are stupid. There are many idealistic, decent, bright  teenagers of high moral character.
Who are the really stupid ones today? I can point to many examples. For one, who is behind all of these wars that America has gotten itself into. How many innocent  people have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? While American cities and states are going broke, the US sees nothing wrong with wasting  billions of dollars overseas.
Even bright students often can't deal with subjectivity. Though I agree, some teenagers are definitely better than others. My view of them is definitely colored by the fact that I teach credit recovery courses.
In statistics courses, when making inferences about the population,  they recommend that we avoid biased samples.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:57:44 PM by stanley123 » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior jesus Christ!

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith

As a teacher, I believe and notice ALL teenagers are not stupid, and they are all idealistic, decent, an bright and mostly with high moral character.  That is why it is MY job to find it, accentuate it, and help it grow, expand, progress, and develop.  ALL kids are smart, all kids have heart, all kids have empathy.  The question is where do they apply themselves? What is their interests? What is their attention span? If you can make things interesting and applicable, even the "stupidest" kids will amaze you at their abilities when they focus, hence why there is simply no such thing as stupid in the first place Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith
I agree with your analysis. However, not all teenagers are stupid. There are many idealistic, decent, bright  teenagers of high moral character.
Who are the really stupid ones today? I can point to many examples. For one, who is behind all of these wars that America has gotten itself into. How many innocent  people have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? While American cities and states are going broke, the US sees nothing wrong with wasting  billions of dollars overseas.
In statistics courses, when making inferences about the population,  they recommend that we avoid biased samples.
Agreed, but even the "advanced" students that I have dealt with suffer from the debilitating effects of being teenagers. Wink

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior jesus Christ!

3) Broken families
4) Lost faith

As a teacher, I believe and notice ALL teenagers are not stupid, and they are all idealistic, decent, an bright and mostly with high moral character.  That is why it is MY job to find it, accentuate it, and help it grow, expand, progress, and develop.  ALL kids are smart, all kids have heart, all kids have empathy.  The question is where do they apply themselves? What is their interests? What is their attention span? If you can make things interesting and applicable, even the "stupidest" kids will amaze you at their abilities when they focus, hence why there is simply no such thing as stupid in the first place Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Again, I agree. However, all teenagers have brains that have not finished developing.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »

However, there are some fantastic teenagers who are just fun to be around. Some of my students are hilariously lively individuals that are great to have in class. Of course, this varies from student to student.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

However, all teenagers have brains that have not finished developing.

I do believe that is often fairly obvious Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »

Again, I agree. However, all teenagers have brains that have not finished developing.

I'd say my brain is pretty well developed. Or at least I hope so...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »

I hope so too, but it is an established fact that the brain does not finish developing until about the age of 25.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

Dang. You mean I have no excuse? Sad

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »

I hope so too, but it is an established fact that the brain does not finish developing until about the age of 25.

I think this overstates the case (or states the case as believed decades ago), by using words like "finish," given what we know about the plasticity of the brain and how we never stop developing.  police

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

Actually, studies show that teenagers use different parts of their brains than adults, for the same functions, until about the age of 25.  Does different mean inferior?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

This is your brain.

This is your brain on teenagers..

Any questions?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »

Actually, studies show that teenagers use different parts of their brains than adults, for the same functions, until about the age of 25.  Does different mean inferior?
I didn't say inferior. I said less developed. Teenagers still are equal in human dignity, and created in the image and likeness of God, just as much as adults are.
Three examples of the less developed nature of the teenage brain (examples we learn about in training for teachers).
1. On average, teenagers are not able to think as abstractly as adults.
2. On average, teenagers have a greater deal of difficult putting together the multitude of minor steps that it takes to reach a major goal, especially when that goal is months or years down the road.
3. When we are teenagers, we tend to unconsciously see ourselves as the center of the world, and this is true even of the less selfish of us. The world is sort of like a first person novel, in which we are the main character. As we grow up, hopefully we move past this to some degree, but it is more prevalent, on average, in the teenage person.
Again, these are not judgements against teenagers. They merely descriptions of how the average teenage mind works. Knowing these things has helped me immensely with patience and understanding when it comes to my students.
And for the record, I can see a major difference between my cognitive skills as a teenager/young adult and my cognitive skills now that I am in my early 30s.
BUT, all that means is that now I have less of an excuse for the multitude of stupid things I do.  Grin

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:47 PM »

Further the neurochemistry of the teenage mind is not finished developing a balance.  This is why teenagers can be moody or manic because the chemicals that run their brains are in flux.  As the brain matures, the chemistry finds more of a rhythm and balance.  This is why teenagers seem to be so much more impulsive and adults much more rigid.  Teenagers have literally a more raging brain then adults, and while we all share the same neurochemicals, these are almost boiling over in some young minds. This is why their own natural moods, caused by neurochemistry, are more exaggerated.  Kids will lose their temper more than adults just as kids will laugh themselves hysterical at a joke more than an adult.  Kids will through themselves into their emotions more than adults precisely because the neurochemicals behind our emotions operate at higher extremes on the young brain.  As the brain matures, it learns how to more properly use its own chemicals, after all mechanically to the brain, moods and emotions are just tools to adjust behavior.   Of course, as I suggested, rigid neurochemistry is not entirely beneficial on its own, the purpose of an extended childhood and adolescence in human biology is to allow the brain and body to have a lengthy experimentation period.  Kids simply need to make some of the mistakes they make in order to build better synaptic connections, to find their biological limits, test their neurochemical waters, and have a wild variety of mind altering experiences (pun intended).  So it is not inferior at all, but the teenage brain is definitely more chaotic and fluctuating the adult brain.  There are pros and cons then to both brains.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 08:40:02 PM »

I didn't say inferior. I said less developed. Teenagers still are equal in human dignity, and created in the image and likeness of God, just as much as adults are.
Three examples of the less developed nature of the teenage brain (examples we learn about in training for teachers).
2. On average, teenagers have a greater deal of difficult putting together the multitude of minor steps that it takes to reach a major goal, especially when that goal is months or years down the road.
3. When we are teenagers, we tend to unconsciously see ourselves as the center of the world, and this is true even of the less selfish of us. The world is sort of like a first person novel, in which we are the main character. As we grow up, hopefully we move past this to some degree, but it is more prevalent, on average, in the teenage person.
Again, these are not judgements against teenagers. They merely descriptions of how the average teenage mind works. Knowing these things has helped me immensely with patience and understanding when it comes to my students.
And for the record, I can see a major difference between my cognitive skills as a teenager/young adult and my cognitive skills now that I am in my early 30s.
BUT, all that means is that now I have less of an excuse for the multitude of stupid things I do.  Grin

Well said papist  Grin

The adolescent brain is indeed still undergoing maturation. However the area of maturation correlates the behavior manifested. The Limbic system that deals with fear, emotional impulses matures before the prefrontal cortex, which is essential for planning ahead, emotional regulation, response inhibition, and organization.
The maturing limbic system is particularly attracted to strong immediate sensations, unchecked by the slowly maturing prefrontal cortex for this reason adolescents like intensity, excitement and arousal.

As you have mentioned, in general this is one of the reason that the adolescent thinking is egocentric, with its own invincibility fable, and an imaginary audience.

Depending on the kind of environment one is exposed to, these neurological realities can be positive or negative to the overall wellness of the adolescence.

As far as how society deals with this fact, is however a complicated matter; especially as the educational system, and the penal system, etc. must reassess their functional approach in the light of these facts and their implications.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »

Well said papist  Grin

The adolescent brain is indeed still undergoing maturation. However the area of maturation correlates the behavior manifested. The Limbic system that deals with fear, emotional impulses matures before the prefrontal cortex, which is essential for planning ahead, emotional regulation, response inhibition, and organization.
The maturing limbic system is particularly attracted to strong immediate sensations, unchecked by the slowly maturing prefrontal cortex for this reason adolescents like intensity, excitement and arousal.

As you have mentioned, in general this is one of the reason that the adolescent thinking is egocentric, with its own invincibility fable, and an imaginary audience.

Depending on the kind of environment one is exposed to, these neurological realities can be positive or negative to the overall wellness of the adolescence.

As far as how society deals with this fact, is however a complicated matter; especially as the educational system, and the penal system, etc. must reassess their functional approach in the light of these facts and their implications.
And, unfortunately, the educational system is not there yet.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »

Well said papist  Grin

And, unfortunately, the educational system is not there yet.

a very sad reality indeed.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Things just got worse with teenagers. All I can say about this is....Good Lord, what are we going to do?

When we think about teen substance abuse, our minds veer to dad's liquor cabinet or illegal drugs. But reports show that teens are increasingly turning to their home kitchen pantries to chase a high.

YouTube videos and Internet blogs are spreading the use of some everyday items you might use to bake dessert, including nutmeg and vanilla extract, for mind-altering purposes.

SMH....  Huh

- GTA

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: