Author Topic: which country exhibits the greatest orthodox spirit?  (Read 963 times)

Offline spiltteeth

which country exhibits the greatest orthodox spirit?
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »
Where do you think the whole orthodox mindset is most manifest in daily life society and relations?  Which country has the most orthodox flavor?

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
Re: which country exhibits the greatest orthodox spirit?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
Pre-revolution Egypt.
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »
Where do you think the whole orthodox mindset is most manifest in daily life society and relations?  Which country has the most orthodox flavor?

The heavenly country.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »

The heavenly country.
:)
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
*flamesuit on*

The United States; our diaspora is really flourishing we have even had our own wave of Saints like St. John of San Francisco and St. Herman. Also, since the Orthodox in North America are a minority, it says something about us. It shows that we are really dedicated to the faith and willing to follow it even when we are a tiny minority and people view us as weird. Also, compare the faithful from North America to the Orthodox of other countries. I guarantee that nine out of ten times the American Orthodox will show greater piety than the cradle from another country, except maybe Egypt or some Russians. Also, this is sort of a pseudo-post, I'm only using half logic since this entire thread seems like kind of a silly, bragging-rights topic.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:06:19 PM by JamesR »
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
Also, it may be interesting to mention that politically the United States is the most Orthodox out of any country, ironically. For example, Orthodoxy is generally a morally conservative religion, and most Orthodox countries are becoming more and more less conservative and more accepting of immoral behavior since liberalism is spreading so fast in Europe. On the other hand, the United States is still extremely conservative and full of censorship and public taboo of topics like abortion. You can thank our Protestant rednecks for that :)
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
If I had to choose, I'd say Greece.   Lots of Orthodox there, and Mt. Athos.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:34 AM »
I'm gonna say Georgia. Never been there, but they have awesome looking churches and the landscape is breathtaking. How could you not be Orthodox in a place like that?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:59:01 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 04:04:59 AM »
Tsarist Russia in 18th century
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:05:36 AM by Alpo »

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:05:30 AM »
Ethiopia

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:18:45 AM »
I'd say Romania, though I may really just mean Bucovina and I have to admit that I might be a touch biased. My wife's home town remains the only place where I've ever seen crowds that are regularly (and I mean on your average day, not big feasts) too large to physically fit in the churches for DL.

As for awesome churches and landscape - look up the painted monasteries and Putna (same area but not painted on the outside) and tell me how anyone could live there and not be Orthodox. I went there as a Protestant and returned a catechumen so clearly it made an impression on me.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 04:45:46 AM »
If I had to choose, I'd say Greece.   Lots of Orthodox there, and Mt. Athos.

If half the Greeks diligently applied Orthodoxy to their lives over the past 30 years, their country wouldn't be in the unholy mess it's in today.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »
Australia. I'd like to visit it.

Offline Gorazd

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 05:39:24 AM »
Referring to EOs only now:
I have visited most of the "old countries", and so far, Romania seems to be the most pious, also much more than Greece. That goes for countries as a whole, and I must say I still haven't been to Georgia (hopefully will do that soon, though), of which I have heard many good things.

As for EOs being in a minority/missionary situation, I guess the US is really doing quite well, but so are Albania, France, the Czechoslovak church...

As for OOs, I must say that the only ones I really know more or less well(in the old country and the diaspora) are the Copts. Their personal piety is impressive. But their reluctance to proselytize amongst Muslims is disappointing. I mean, I know it is dangerous, but if every Copt was ready to participate and risk his life, I am sure that there would be a Christian majority in Egypt again very soon.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »
Just thinking, the question would be less divisive if we asked which country exhibits the greatest 'spirits.'  :)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
Just thinking, the question would be less divisive if we asked which country exhibits the greatest 'spirits.'  :)

It'd be a fight between vodka and slivovits. Oooo, could be messy ....  :laugh: :laugh:
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »

It'd be a fight between vodka and slivovits. Oooo, could be messy ....  :laugh: :laugh:

I think you just declared hostilities against our Hellenic brethren!  ;)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »
Obviously either the Germans (Jagermeister) ir Swiss (Goldschlager) then.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »

I think you just declared hostilities against our Hellenic brethren!  ;)

Ouzo shouldn't rate a mention (blech!!), but a good raki is another story! It would give the other two a run for their money.  :laugh:

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »

Tuica/palinca would beat both hands down in my opinion
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
Egyptian Christians - they are really so religious, not just for show... But I don't agree with Gorazd about the rechristianization of Egypt - even if there was some Coptic poreselitism among muslims, it wouldn't be so easy, because many muslims are after a brainwashing and as you said, it's very dangerous. However, maybe there should be some more active Orthodox christian missions or doing something like fr. Zakaria: show the truth of Christianity.

With regard to the topic, I think also some Serbian parts of Bosnia. Many believers really observe all the feasts and fasts, participate in Church life etc. Of course it's specific because it's connected with some nationalism (e.g. chotki in colours of Serbian flag) and some people perceive religion as a set of diverse rituals.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »
*flamesuit on*

The United States; our diaspora is really flourishing we have even had our own wave of Saints like St. John of San Francisco and St. Herman. Also, since the Orthodox in North America are a minority, it says something about us. It shows that we are really dedicated to the faith and willing to follow it even when we are a tiny minority and people view us as weird. Also, compare the faithful from North America to the Orthodox of other countries. I guarantee that nine out of ten times the American Orthodox will show greater piety than the cradle from another country, except maybe Egypt or some Russians. Also, this is sort of a pseudo-post, I'm only using half logic since this entire thread seems like kind of a silly, bragging-rights topic.

haha...someone had to say it ;)