OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:55:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which country exhibits the greatest orthodox spirit?  (Read 806 times) Average Rating: 0
spiltteeth

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: April 30, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »

Where do you think the whole orthodox mindset is most manifest in daily life society and relations?  Which country has the most orthodox flavor?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »

Pre-revolution Egypt.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »

Where do you think the whole orthodox mindset is most manifest in daily life society and relations?  Which country has the most orthodox flavor?

The heavenly country.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »

The heavenly country.
Smiley

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »

*flamesuit on*

The United States; our diaspora is really flourishing we have even had our own wave of Saints like St. John of San Francisco and St. Herman. Also, since the Orthodox in North America are a minority, it says something about us. It shows that we are really dedicated to the faith and willing to follow it even when we are a tiny minority and people view us as weird. Also, compare the faithful from North America to the Orthodox of other countries. I guarantee that nine out of ten times the American Orthodox will show greater piety than the cradle from another country, except maybe Egypt or some Russians. Also, this is sort of a pseudo-post, I'm only using half logic since this entire thread seems like kind of a silly, bragging-rights topic.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:06:19 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »

Also, it may be interesting to mention that politically the United States is the most Orthodox out of any country, ironically. For example, Orthodoxy is generally a morally conservative religion, and most Orthodox countries are becoming more and more less conservative and more accepting of immoral behavior since liberalism is spreading so fast in Europe. On the other hand, the United States is still extremely conservative and full of censorship and public taboo of topics like abortion. You can thank our Protestant rednecks for that Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »

If I had to choose, I'd say Greece.   Lots of Orthodox there, and Mt. Athos.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:34 AM »

I'm gonna say Georgia. Never been there, but they have awesome looking churches and the landscape is breathtaking. How could you not be Orthodox in a place like that?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:59:01 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 04:04:59 AM »

Tsarist Russia in 18th century
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:05:36 AM by Alpo » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:05:30 AM »

Ethiopia

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:18:45 AM »

I'd say Romania, though I may really just mean Bucovina and I have to admit that I might be a touch biased. My wife's home town remains the only place where I've ever seen crowds that are regularly (and I mean on your average day, not big feasts) too large to physically fit in the churches for DL.

As for awesome churches and landscape - look up the painted monasteries and Putna (same area but not painted on the outside) and tell me how anyone could live there and not be Orthodox. I went there as a Protestant and returned a catechumen so clearly it made an impression on me.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 04:45:46 AM »

If I had to choose, I'd say Greece.   Lots of Orthodox there, and Mt. Athos.

If half the Greeks diligently applied Orthodoxy to their lives over the past 30 years, their country wouldn't be in the unholy mess it's in today.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »

Australia. I'd like to visit it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 05:39:24 AM »

Referring to EOs only now:
I have visited most of the "old countries", and so far, Romania seems to be the most pious, also much more than Greece. That goes for countries as a whole, and I must say I still haven't been to Georgia (hopefully will do that soon, though), of which I have heard many good things.

As for EOs being in a minority/missionary situation, I guess the US is really doing quite well, but so are Albania, France, the Czechoslovak church...

As for OOs, I must say that the only ones I really know more or less well(in the old country and the diaspora) are the Copts. Their personal piety is impressive. But their reluctance to proselytize amongst Muslims is disappointing. I mean, I know it is dangerous, but if every Copt was ready to participate and risk his life, I am sure that there would be a Christian majority in Egypt again very soon.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »

Just thinking, the question would be less divisive if we asked which country exhibits the greatest 'spirits.'  Smiley
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »

Just thinking, the question would be less divisive if we asked which country exhibits the greatest 'spirits.'  Smiley

It'd be a fight between vodka and slivovits. Oooo, could be messy ....  laugh laugh
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »

It'd be a fight between vodka and slivovits. Oooo, could be messy ....  laugh laugh

I think you just declared hostilities against our Hellenic brethren!  Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »

Obviously either the Germans (Jagermeister) ir Swiss (Goldschlager) then.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »

I think you just declared hostilities against our Hellenic brethren!  Wink

Ouzo shouldn't rate a mention (blech!!), but a good raki is another story! It would give the other two a run for their money.  laugh
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »

Tuica/palinca would beat both hands down in my opinion

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

Egyptian Christians - they are really so religious, not just for show... But I don't agree with Gorazd about the rechristianization of Egypt - even if there was some Coptic poreselitism among muslims, it wouldn't be so easy, because many muslims are after a brainwashing and as you said, it's very dangerous. However, maybe there should be some more active Orthodox christian missions or doing something like fr. Zakaria: show the truth of Christianity.

With regard to the topic, I think also some Serbian parts of Bosnia. Many believers really observe all the feasts and fasts, participate in Church life etc. Of course it's specific because it's connected with some nationalism (e.g. chotki in colours of Serbian flag) and some people perceive religion as a set of diverse rituals.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »

*flamesuit on*

The United States; our diaspora is really flourishing we have even had our own wave of Saints like St. John of San Francisco and St. Herman. Also, since the Orthodox in North America are a minority, it says something about us. It shows that we are really dedicated to the faith and willing to follow it even when we are a tiny minority and people view us as weird. Also, compare the faithful from North America to the Orthodox of other countries. I guarantee that nine out of ten times the American Orthodox will show greater piety than the cradle from another country, except maybe Egypt or some Russians. Also, this is sort of a pseudo-post, I'm only using half logic since this entire thread seems like kind of a silly, bragging-rights topic.

haha...someone had to say it Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: