Author Topic: The Dismissal of Catechumens  (Read 9739 times)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: The Dismissal of Catechumens
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Why wouldnt they?

Holy things are for the holy.

If you're still around by that point, you can stay.

Technically, no...they should also leave.  However, in modern times things have become more lax out of economia for mixed marriages and the heterdox society in which we reside.

and because no one is going to join a church that they can't actually see what happens....like some secret society.

Of course, this logic could be extended to allow for services "facing the people", open communion, etc., and yet we draw a line at certain things, so I wonder why this particular line was more or less erased.

No clue....maybe its the mormons and their secret underwear or some such.....or its just us nasty americans again
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
I don't know, but I've been told that these questions simply became irrelevant as whole regions were Christianized.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »
Why wouldnt they?

Technically, no...they should also leave.  However, in modern times things have become more lax out of economia for mixed marriages and the heterdox society in which we reside.

and because no one is going to join a church that they can't actually see what happens....like some secret society.

Of course, this logic could be extended to allow for services "facing the people", open communion, etc., and yet we draw a line at certain things, so I wonder why this particular line was more or less erased.

No clue....maybe its the mormons and their secret underwear or some such.....or its just us nasty americans again

Interestingly, Mormons don't seem to have a huge problem attracting people to join their religion, even though a number of their religious practices are closed off to non-Mormons, while other more "open" denominations are dying.   

I suspect that we have allowed non-Orthodox to be present for the Eucharist rather passively.  As the Church progressed from being one institution among others to the religion of the majority, there were less "non-Orthodox" to exclude, and the tradition was forgotten except perhaps as a ritual injunction by deacons.  Now that we're more or less back to being one institution among others, we are in a situation where we probably should think about re-instituting this practice (and perhaps some others as well), but have centuries of inertia to contend with. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
Why wouldnt they?

Interestingly, Mormons don't seem to have a huge problem attracting people to join their religion, even though a number of their religious practices are closed off to non-Mormons, while other more "open" denominations are dying.   

I suspect that we have allowed non-Orthodox to be present for the Eucharist rather passively.  As the Church progressed from being one institution among others to the religion of the majority, there were less "non-Orthodox" to exclude, and the tradition was forgotten except perhaps as a ritual injunction by deacons.  Now that we're more or less back to being one institution among others, we are in a situation where we probably should think about re-instituting this practice (and perhaps some others as well), but have centuries of inertia to contend with.

....I agree with Mor.

However, many of the previous "secrecy" was due to Christians being persecuted, and the requirement to pray in secret, with only those you "know" belong to the group and will not betray it.  The Eucharist needed to be protected... However, in the US we thankfully no longer suffer such persecution....and therefore, have permitted others to remain, as they pose no real threat.

....that's just a guess.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 01:37:43 AM »
Why wouldnt they?

....I agree with Mor.

However, many of the previous "secrecy" was due to Christians being persecuted, and the requirement to pray in secret, with only those you "know" belong to the group and will not betray it.  The Eucharist needed to be protected... However, in the US we thankfully no longer suffer such persecution....and therefore, have permitted others to remain, as they pose no real threat.

....that's just a guess.

A pretty educated guess if I ever heard one.  That is exactly it, Liza.  They were accusing us of cannibalism and other such things.  They had to be dismissed, because there were fakers among the real ones who would tank the Church in an instance.  They had to be tested.   Today, not so much.  However, I am now more suspect than ever of those who would sell us out with false morality under the auspices of "neo-patristics".  So I agree with you on one front, and I agree with Mor on another.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:40:16 AM by Father H »